Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Twelve by Pies posted:

Pretty sure the answer is no but thought I'd double check anyway. Outside of incredibly huge luck, there's really no way to beat Omega with Knight/Summoner/Ranger/Dancer is there?

Rapidfire can lay some good hurt on him but, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Second triple crown/third victory:

So uh...I'd not tried using !Sing for its maximum effect before. Thus I wasn't expecting to be able to throw (with Air Knife/Magus Rod boosts) 9999s with Syldra at NeoExdeath like it was nothing. :stare: He went down like a chump, really; only got one or two actions off before I killed him.

As before, Blue Mage and Bard were extremely useful. On the one hand, Summoner burns through MP like no tomorrow. On the other hand, giving everyone in your party !Summon L5 rather mitigates that sort of problem. And this time around, Dancer was actually pretty useful as a class that -was fast, -could deal physical damage, and -could equip Ribbons. Without Ribbons, setting up the crazy buff setup on Exdeath would have been so much harder. Instead I had Golem and three characters immune to White Hole, so turtling was easy until I got some 99s.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Black Balloon posted:

Rapidfire can lay some good hurt on him but, eh.

Yeah Chicken Knife Rapid Fire from the Ranger deals about 1500 damage each hit, but that's only 6000 HP damage in a turn, and even with two Aegis Shield wearing party members unless I basically hit every block roll (which is practically impossible) I can't eat four counters, and with Dancer and Summoner having bad HP Wave Cannon just makes it worse.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Took a while, but I've got 4 Flame Rings after this. The fire absorption and ice nullification should come in really handy, especially since I haven't got White Mage to heal and reduce damage with Protect and Shell.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Time Mage/3/loving/Bards, Run 8, Triple Crown 7. (O, S, N)

I have never broken so many loving rods in my life. At least Omega/Shinryu/NED were piss-loving-easy! Did you know at level 99/99 strength, the Morning Star can pop for upwards of 6000 damage? And Apollo's Harp does upwards of 2500 damage even to non-Dragons at 99 Magic???

I finished it off by snapping a Staff of Light. One more rod break for the road.

E: Also, quickleaking both Omega and Shinryu does hilarious poo poo to your in-game clock:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there any easy way for berserkers to beat necrophobe. I'd like to grind gil before fighting exdeath.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I was greatly delayed by FF14, but this years first run/obligatory triple crown is done.

The MVP of the Omega fight turned out to be Fuma Shurikens.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Back from vacation and back to my first FFV run ever. Liquid Flame is a chump, broke two ice rods in his face with two Time Mages and he was done.

Gilgabot rolled up a Geomancer for me, so my jobs so far are Thief - Time Mage - Geomancer. On a scale of "the best" to "yep, you're boned", how is this?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mikl posted:

Back from vacation and back to my first FFV run ever. Liquid Flame is a chump, broke two ice rods in his face with two Time Mages and he was done.

Gilgabot rolled up a Geomancer for me, so my jobs so far are Thief - Time Mage - Geomancer. On a scale of "the best" to "yep, you're boned", how is this?

Well, you'll get a free triple crown. The trick is getting there. :v:

At this point I'd say it's hinging on what your Earth job is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mikl posted:

You basically have a triple time mage team. But only one can rod break. So not a great team but the time mage is your to make your life much eaiser. Gaia can kill mobs fairly easily. And the thief.... makes you go faster. It can probably steal something helpful but not sure what.

Honestly I always roll early for my earth job early especially if I have thief. It is too much to prepare for all up coming jobs. Do you the limited time rare steal for dancer? You need turtle shells? So i just roll and only prepare for a job.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I finally got to time to play and got my final team blue mage/ berserker/ berserker/ beast master. It is an odd and cruel team. I couldn't get white wind or 1000 needle early but I have a beast master. If beastmaster and a berserker switched placed this run would be so much easier. There is never really a go to move. Basically every boss has really different strategies.

I think I am going to be my berserkers equip whip. Team whip it good :whip:. My beastmaster gets blue magic. And my blue mage gets......um.... equip axe?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shwqa posted:

And my blue mage gets......um.... equip axe?

Ideally Catch, but that also works. Will give a serious bit of oomph to Goblin Punch.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

@Ilyich_SA can now use the Earth Job 'Samurai'. Block those attacks!
Since I got this job on my last run, I donated $5 to change to Chemist, which I've never really used before in regular playthroughs.

Edit. I'm vaguely aware that its a ridiculously OP class, but most of that power is all new to me. Should be an interesting experience.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 4, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ilyich posted:

Since I got this job on my last run, I donated $5 to change to Chemist, which I've never really used before in regular playthroughs.

Edit. I'm vaguely aware that its a ridiculously OP class, but most of that power is all new to me. Should be an interesting experience.

Meh samurai and chemist are both game breaking. Sure chemist is way stronger but still once you broke the game's difficulty it doesn't really matter about who is stronger.

Edit: ignoring super bosses of course.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 4, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Suck it down Exdeath!

First Fiesta, first win.

Black Mage made things pretty easy early-game. Red Mage got dual cast which was nice late. Ranger's rapid-fire on a Samurai with the chicken knife was nice.

With NED I Odin-dunked the back part, spammed Zenigage with my Samurai and Ranger and dual cast fire on the parts I wanted to dunk. It got off an Almagest which only the Samurai had the hp to survive, but permahaste and elixirs helped pull that one out.

:smugdog:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

"Oh look, RK processed runs! Let's see what chaos run 9 has in store, it can't be worse than Time/Bard/Bard/Bard!"

quote:

FF5ForFutures @FF5ForFutures
@Rilgon can now use the Fire Job 'Bard'. La la la la la! Play the pianos!

:shepicide:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kyrosiris posted:

"Oh look, RK processed runs! Let's see what chaos run 9 has in store, it can't be worse than Time/Bard/Bard/Bard!"

Maybe you'll only get two bards this time!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Stopping for night with Monk/Zerk/Summon/??? just after Library of Ancients. Think I've got a good team so far, hoping Earth Crystal doesn't gently caress me over.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

No one warned me about these bards :argh:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kyrosiris posted:

No one warned me about these bards :argh:

poo poo, we're leaking.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, I got Monk, Summoner, Geomancer, and Ranger. The party has been generally rear end except for Summoner, which I might well be running a one class team at this point. So beating the game is looking more than easy enough, is Shinryu or Omega remotely viable?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ramos posted:

Okay, I got Monk, Summoner, Geomancer, and Ranger. The party has been generally rear end except for Summoner, which I might well be running a one class team at this point. So beating the game is looking more than easy enough, is Shinryu or Omega remotely viable?

Shinryu is free since you have access to the Wonder Wand (and thus the ability to Berserk him). Omega, I wouldn't bother trying, no.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, at least you're getting bombarded with a GOOD class. I kept getting crap like Monk and Geomancer last year.

I really should finish my current run, but I'm taking a short break to play some other games that I was playing before the Fiesta started. It doesn't help that for once I can't just go straight to the Void. I got myself some Holy and Leviathan to go on White/Summon/Geo/Chemist, now I just need Phoenix and Bahamut even though I'll probably never use them, because I'm OCD like that. Also need to farm some more Dragon Fangs and some Dark Matters. Then some grinding because only one person has !Mix at the moment and I want it on at least 3 people for Omega.

I miss being able to just rush straight through to the end.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I started another 750 run so I would stop getting duplicate classes in Chaos mode, and well :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Man, at least you're getting bombarded with a GOOD class. I kept getting crap like Monk and Geomancer last year.

Are you aware of how unfathomably painful Magissa and Forza with 4x Bard is? This is like Thief but worse.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Have you considered not hacking the game?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you aware of how unfathomably painful Magissa and Forza with 4x Bard is? This is like Thief but worse.

Oh, right, you're using that mod that unlocks all classes right at the start. I should look into that one for the next run (well, maybe the run after that; I'm going with Random next to minimize my chances of getting Earth jobs). Are we allowed to ask for a link, or must I resort to ye olde Google?

EDIT:

Maleketh posted:

It's in the 2nd post of the thread.

Oh, is it? That explains why I never saw it in the OP. I need to start checking a few posts down in threads, I guess.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 5, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bufuman posted:

Oh, right, you're using that mod that unlocks all classes right at the start. I should look into that one for the next run (well, maybe the run after that; I'm going with Random next to minimize my chances of getting Earth jobs). Are we allowed to ask for a link, or must I resort to ye olde Google?

It's in the 2nd post of the thread.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Chaos: I finally wound up with Mystic Knight/Samurai/Samurai/Dragoon :smith:
Why don't spear blades and long blades count as spell blades?? :argh:
Why are samurais so good at blocking poo poo damnit Lenna stop blocking you hitting yourself :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Shinryu was easy, Berserk using Wonder Wand, two characters with Mirage Vests, and summoning Golem repeatedly while Chicken Knife Sword Dances and Rapid Fires brought him down.

NED on the other hand, was a massive pain. I had Dancer and Summoner with Equip Shields and the two Aegis Shields because none of my party had the HP to survive Almagest. I just had to keep summoning Catoblepas and hope it hit before Almagest went off. The problem after that was trying to spread damage out between the two remaining parts, and it didn't go well. I took a lot of Meteors to the face from the final part going into crazy mode because Lenna would knock one off with a Sword Dance and then get worthless Mystery Waltzes/Jitterbugs on the last part while the rest of my party died. Eventually I stopped trying to revive them when this happened and just powered through with Dances hoping I'd get two Sword Dances in a row, which did finally happen.

I like Dancer. It's a good class, just the randomness is nail-biting at times. Also, bows are really great weapons, so Ranger is pretty great even outside of Rapid Fire.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Yeah, the one that Can of Worms made. Not the rebalance mod, just the Fiesta mod. And as said, it's in the second (fanart) post.

And yeah I could just freelancer it up, and I could just do random runs, and etc. :v: If it ever gets to be such a slog that I'm legitimately not enjoying myself, I would. I guess hyperbole for the sake of amusement isn't allowed anymore.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Can't always get lucky, Zerker/Ranger so far. Guess I'm gonna be over leveled for the rest of World 1.

Aulus
Mar 7, 2005

Le monde entier!
Est un cactus!
Il est impossible de s'asseoir!
Embarrassingly poor camera photos of embarrassingly old CRT TV screen aside, I am happy to report my first FJF yielded a triple crown :c00lbert:

Mind you, with the setup Gilgabot handed me it would have been embarrassing not to get the hat trick:

FFV is one of my favourite games and I've played it through like ten times. This experience taught me that I've been doing it wrong the whole time. I had no idea that Black Mages with the right rods can trivialize pretty much every boss in World 1. I also had no idea that Bards could confuse and/or stop nearly every enemy party you encounter, including bosses. I missed having a healer more than you would think with a party that can crush face to this level, and NED was tougher than I expected due to my dudes having mostly low HP, but overall this experience was ridiculously fun and if I didn't have other things I need to do with my spare time right now I would start a Chaos run after my victory registers. Maybe later this summer.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
I know Beastmaster is a great class with lots of offense, defense, and utility, but ugh :effort: and I'm too poor to Job Fair.

aaaand got it again on another twitter account, even with #regrand to dilute the odds

Recycling Centerpiece fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 5, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I finished my prior run. It was Monk/Mystic/Beast/Samurai. Solid comp but boring as loving poo poo. It was also a no750 I didn't want.

So I'm starting a 750 and beginning with BLM! :getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sworder posted:

I know Beastmaster is a great class with lots of offense, defense, and utility, but ugh :effort: and I'm too poor to Job Fair.

aaaand got it again on another twitter account, even with #regrand to dilute the odds

Don't poo poo on a class that can attack from the back row with full power, man. Do The Right Thing.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
So what's the right thing to do after a first FJF run?

Well, a second FJF run, of course.

And how did it start? Just like the first one: with another White Mage. :sigh:

e: not that it's a bad class, but I did want to try something a bit different this time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I assume hacking in the proper knife damage values would not be in the spirit of the Fiesta? I really am asking for a friend, he's struggling with Knight/Thief/Thief/Thief.

As for me, got my Earth crystal and suddenly instead of the 4 beastmaster slog I have BST/Dancer/Samurai/Dragoon available. My damage just went up quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
OK, my Dancer/Bard/Geo/Ninja group is in world 3 and potentially able to go to the void now. Anything particular I should grab before heading in? I picked Sasuke/Assassin/Apollo as my freebie weapons. I have a max power chicken knife, two ribbons, a rainbow dress, four hermes sandals, four reflect rings and all 8 bard songs.

Also are either Omega or Shinryu doable on this group? If so, what do I need to take them out?

• Locked thread