Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I did a minor bench trial last week and despite only going less than a day there were twelve 3" binders in play between two lawyers. Binders are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

When the managing partners talk about "cutting overhead" they always seem to overlook the thousands of pounds of paper, binding, notebooks, and other bullshit that has been replaced by the expensive scanning system they put in place that puts everything on the network and available instantly.

Anway, I know we have quite a few Chicago law goons, thoughts on Anita Alvarez losing her primary yesterday?

Also, I just got offered a spot on my schools Jessup Moot Court Team (international law). I know it's good for a resume and all that poo poo but on the other hand I don't think I am more annoyed by anything in the world more than International Law. Thoughts?

Someone had to be the fall guy for all the poo poo the CPD has been doing so Anita got the axe

The pathetic part is that incredibly corrupt and useless Dorothy Brown, circuit clerk, got reelected easily despite the party refusing to back her

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Popero posted:

If you are under the age of like 35 and have all of this paper all over your office (printouts of depo transcripts!) then I don't know what to say. What's next, dictating to your secretary? Join us in modernity, gramps.

Reading cases and documents on a computer screen and making notes on them is still really tedious compared to a print-out and writing in the margins. Paper also isn't subject to technology failure or incompatibility.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Popero posted:

If you are under the age of like 35 and have all of this paper all over your office (printouts of depo transcripts!) then I don't know what to say. What's next, dictating to your secretary? Join us in modernity, gramps.

gently caress that dude. As Droids said, taking notes, flagging specific questions of interest, etc. are way easier to do on centralized paper documents. I have my handy binder with all depo transcripts, highlighted, flagged and with notes so I can quickly find exactly what I need for when I'm preparing - for example - further dep prep outlines.

I use paper documents extensively.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I couldn't be any more the opposite. I have a few notepads for some stuff i jot down, but everything else is digital. I use textmap to annotate transcripts and mostly just highlight my cases in Adobe. Everything else in the file is on a network drive, and I bring a laptop or tablet to my depos or to court in case I need access to something. I have almost no paper in my office at any given time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Paper organization permits a degree of physical externalization and management of my internal thought processes that all-digital solutions could never replicate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Popero posted:

I can read a printed deposition transcript much faster than an electronic one. Plus, when I have a printed copy, I can ALSO look at the digital copy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Judge I swear this one piece of paper is here I'll find it one second *spends minutes flipping through pages since ctrl+f isn't available"

In other news the unemployment office was courteous enough to call back two days after faxing in proof I reproduced to say the fax didn't work and missed half the pages plus was too dark
I asked the following, to which the answer was No every single time:
Can I hand deliver it
Can I email it
Can I have your phone # to verify your get the fax

I guess I could've asked if I could FedEx deliver or Snapchat it to her , back to praying in front of 40 year technology that This Time It Will Work

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I can read a printed deposition transcript much faster than an electronic one. Plus, when I have a printed copy, I can ALSO look at the digital copy.

This. I have paper copies of any document I might use in a deposition.

But I also have electronic copies on my laptop for easy Ctrl-F.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kalman posted:

This is the ideal. That's why we roll into court with thirty banker boxes and laptops and a portable printer and and and and lol like I ever get to trial.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Kalman posted:

This is what we typically do as well. I'll have my binder with the deposition outline and any document I plan on using. We have all the copies for the witness, defense counsel and other counsel attending. And I'll have a junior next to me with a laptop that has an "electronic binder" as well as a shitton of post-its.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is the ideal. That's why we roll into court with thirty banker boxes and laptops and a portable printer and and and and lol like I ever get to trial.

How often do you actually go to trial?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Also showing someone a document in court on an ipad or some stupid poo poo like that is a terrible idea.

Kalman posted:

Yep

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nthing the "both paper and electronic copies." I retain information so much better when I read it in paper form, and can get through paper copies more quickly most of the time (depositions, pleadings, contracts, deeds, etc), but I can plow through certain types of documents more quickly in electronic form (cases) and Ctrl-F is just so drat convenient.

Plus the expense of doing stuff in paper is trivial compared to the cost of billing an extra half an hour or whatever it would take me to find e-mail number 48,057 in the e-mail database, whereas I know exactly where it is in the binder of highly relevant e-mails my paralegal has put together. So the clients don't mind in the end.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Last trial I was at we bought like eight boxes of documents and wound up needing a random document that I'd printed out for my own use the day before and basically only stuck in because I had space and noticed it. So, like, next trial there's barely going to be room for the judge with all the boxes I'll be bringing in.

mastershakeman posted:

Judge I swear this one piece of paper is here I'll find it one second *spends minutes flipping through pages since ctrl+f isn't available"

You ever seen what happens when you try to get a judge let you show the court or a witness a document you only have on your laptop?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

calvus posted:

How often do you actually go to trial?

Twice a year as first chair, 6 to 12 as second/third chairs.

Also I evidently reported your post to the moderators because I'm phone posting while giving my toddler a bath.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

Last trial I was at we bought like eight boxes of documents and wound up needing a random document that I'd printed out for my own use the day before and basically only stuck in because I had space and noticed it. So, like, next trial there's barely going to be room for the judge with all the boxes I'll be bringing in.

You ever seen what happens when you try to get a judge let you show the court or a witness a document you only have on your laptop?

I saw an old judge and old attorney go at it where they were friendly at first and the attorney tried to show something on his phone and every time the judge would take it he'd hit a button or mess it up and they kept getting angrier at each other until they were yelling

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

mastershakeman posted:

I saw an old judge and old attorney go at it where they were friendly at first and the attorney tried to show something on his phone and every time the judge would take it he'd hit a button or mess it up and they kept getting angrier at each other until they were yelling
quick, file a patent for a hardware button combination that locks a phone's current screen until the same hardware button combination is pressed again

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Zo posted:

quick, file a patent for a hardware button combination that locks a phone's current screen until the same hardware button combination is pressed again

My god....

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zo posted:

That's a really drat good idea

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Twice a year as first chair, 6 to 12 as second/third chairs.

Also I evidently reported your post to the moderators because I'm phone posting while giving my toddler a bath.

It's the thought that counts. I doubt the mods venture into this place much

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

holy crap

also good for "give 2 year old a phone playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxYHIpePtg at 5 am so you can get another hour of sleep"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

holy crap

also good for "give 2 year old a phone playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxYHIpePtg at 5 am so you can get another hour of sleep"

We mostly watch blippi videos these days at 5am. He makes me really appreciate PBS quality cartoons. Blippi just loving dances in the background, adding nothing to the scenes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My son is going to be raised on a strict diet of boring old Mr Rogers episodes

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Our court is still paper filing, so I tend to be pro-binder for anything over a certain size. Acco prong fastener... things make reading the top chunk of the document difficult for voluminous filings. Some firms do "staple at the front, staple at the back, hope they meet in the middle" which never works. Mostly, I can't afford to be chasing loose paper, especially when I need the fan running in my office for 6 months out of the year.

But the state has established an electronic filing fund, so that'll probably filter its way down to us in a decade or so.

I plan to be dead by then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlow12sSdmc

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Who knew there were so many litigators in the world -- all binders and paperwork.

For transactional work, I have almost no paper anything -- the only time I ever have paper copies is because the partner prints out the doc and puts in hand marks. Young partners use track changes though because it's 2016.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
ctrl+f rules and formats that don't let you ctrl+f are only good if you have to file it or cross with it

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I really hate it when a case gets removed and I have to read the poo poo PDF of the state court complaint that Find doesn't work on.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

What are you trying to raise a decent human being or something?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Look Sir Droids posted:

I really hate it when a case gets removed and I have to read the poo poo PDF of the state court complaint that Find doesn't work on.

My company is deathly afraid of searchable pdfs because data corruption and fonts may be misrendered to the point the secretaries will print out searchable pdfs and scan them to use or send. I tried explaining to them the magic of embedded fonts to no avail.

We also conduct all business in fax. I usually send a word copy of claim amendments/arguments as well, but many co-workers don't.

Japanese companies.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

We mostly watch blippi videos these days at 5am. He makes me really appreciate PBS quality cartoons. Blippi just loving dances in the background, adding nothing to the scenes.

gently caress that guy

Also the weird hyperactive dad who plays with his kid outside with you trucks

coilbook is pro poo poo tho

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Sab0921 posted:

For transactional work, I have almost no paper anything -- the only time I ever have paper copies is because the partner prints out the doc and puts in hand marks. Young partners use track changes though because it's 2016.
Seriously? Been at two firms now and everyone hand marks - us, opposing counsel, clients, bankers. I do too - I like track for some stuff but hand marks are a lot easier, especially when you're marking up a redline.

Also I get hard copies (both prelim and final) for every OM/prospectus I do (cap mkts lawyer), and printed bibles for other deal docs after every deal (and for other deals in the office that might be useful). I also have printouts for other useful things (like the SEC's corp fin manual), and I subscribe to a service that gives me a booklet for each main securities law / regulation / rules that gets updated monthly. (ie, I love printed stuff)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I use track changes exclusively. I find OC does too. I also do electronic signatures and import straight to pdf. I do not care that it is OCR ready (and our state efilingb requires documents to be OCR). I've been told metadata is a thing, but I'm not overly concerned that they see how often I edited my singular to plural.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ani posted:

Seriously? Been at two firms now and everyone hand marks - us, opposing counsel, clients, bankers. I do too - I like track for some stuff but hand marks are a lot easier, especially when you're marking up a redline.

Also I get hard copies (both prelim and final) for every OM/prospectus I do (cap mkts lawyer), and printed bibles for other deal docs after every deal (and for other deals in the office that might be useful). I also have printouts for other useful things (like the SEC's corp fin manual), and I subscribe to a service that gives me a booklet for each main securities law / regulation / rules that gets updated monthly. (ie, I love printed stuff)

Ok this is one area I hate paper, if you're going to revise someone else's work use loving track changes because everyone's handwriting is fully illegible these days. Paper is for your own poo poo.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Discendo Vox posted:

AR for SCOTUS: Turn about and face to corner office window (also bloodshed).

I approve this message

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mastershakeman posted:

My kid binge watches walking dead with me. Bonus she now does a terrifying zombie baby impersonation

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

Ok this is one area I hate paper, if you're going to revise someone else's work use loving track changes because everyone's handwriting is fully illegible these days. Paper is for your own poo poo.

I deliberately trained myself to write in cursive again to break myself of the lovely military block writing system so now I don't write like a serial killer anymore.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I deliberately trained myself to write in cursive again to break myself of the lovely military block writing system so now I don't write like a serial killer anymore.

how helpful, you've drawn some artistic-looking lines that have in some ethereal and ungraspable form the lightest connection to whatever words you were thinking of at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just thought of a dumb invention that I wish I had a way to sell to Apple or Google

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 17, 2016