Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

credburn posted:

Hey gang I've been kind of not video gaming for the last year. I want to play a cool roguelite where there's tons of meta progression. Any suggestions? I've played like all of them up until and through, say, Hades, Children of Morta, Full Metal Furies, Heroes of Hammerwatch, um, Vampire Survivors though I don't know, I'm just adding that so nobody needs to suggest it ha.

Other suggestions:

You’ve probably already played Dead Cells since it’s older, but if not that’s a good one

Curse of the Dead Gods, tho it might not have enough meta progression for you (also!- this is on Xbox Gamepass, so you could try it alongside a bunch of others relatively easily).

Skul is decent and meta progression heavy

E: if you’re down for an FPS, Gunfire Reborn is the best roguelite FPS and has loads of metaprogression

e2: If you don't need it to be a roguelite but mostly want cool progression, maybe try Nobody Saves the World (also on Gamepass)?

tildes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Rogue Legacy 2 is unpopular with the kinds of people who hated Rogue Legacy 1. But those people didn’t buy it, and everyone who didn’t dislike the core premise of the game (“roguelike that is mostly metaprogression”) seems to like it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

credburn posted:

Hey gang I've been kind of not video gaming for the last year. I want to play a cool roguelite where there's tons of meta progression. Any suggestions? I've played like all of them up until and through, say, Hades, Children of Morta, Full Metal Furies, Heroes of Hammerwatch, um, Vampire Survivors though I don't know, I'm just adding that so nobody needs to suggest it ha.

Imma go with a weird suggestion of EVERSPACE, it's very pretty UnrealEngine space combat but absolutely a rogue-lite with metaprog at heart. Also props to it for having a in-universe explanation of 'runs'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think maybe RL2 was a lot worse in EA. i didn't play it until 1.0.2

it's really mostly an action platformer above everything else, many levels require a ton of complicated platforming, so if you're not down for that you're gonna have a bad time

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

IronicDongz posted:

I haven't really heard anyone say that RL2 is bad

There's a couple of obsessed people who keep screaming "ITS BAD AND YOU HAVE TO BE A MASOCHIST TO LIKE IT" in the Steam thread, but aside from that it's been pretty well received.

I liked it a lot although I haven't really felt the need to try and go past NG+2

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

tildes posted:

Curse of the Dead Gods, tho it might not have enough meta progression for you

the darkest roguelike timeline

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Serephina posted:

Imma go with a weird suggestion of EVERSPACE, it's very pretty UnrealEngine space combat but absolutely a rogue-lite with metaprog at heart. Also props to it for having a in-universe explanation of 'runs'.

Oh yeah, that game is a blast. Was the sequel any good? Or did that even come out yet?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm four bosses in on Rogue Legacy 2, currently trying to tackle the Sun Tower every run, and it seems like it's a huge jump in difficulty from the previous section. Enemies are doing crazy damage, there are really tough platforming sections full of enemies and walls that will kill you, and it's to the point that I think I'm doing something wrong. I've been leveling up the castle and my gear as much as possible, but I have to be missing something right? Or do I just grind for upgrades or turn down the enemy damage in the House Rules section?

I'm playing on Xbox if that matters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh yeah, that game is a blast. Was the sequel any good? Or did that even come out yet?

Still in early access, they also completely changed the format so it’s not a roguelite anymore

I will echo the rec for everspace 1, it’s a game that took me some time to really appreciate but once I got used to it (and got past a critical threshold of metaprogression unfortunately) it became one of my favorites.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

EC posted:

I'm four bosses in on Rogue Legacy 2, currently trying to tackle the Sun Tower every run, and it seems like it's a huge jump in difficulty from the previous section. Enemies are doing crazy damage, there are really tough platforming sections full of enemies and walls that will kill you, and it's to the point that I think I'm doing something wrong. I've been leveling up the castle and my gear as much as possible, but I have to be missing something right? Or do I just grind for upgrades or turn down the enemy damage in the House Rules section?

Sun Tower's hard. That is the first real zone where I focused more on rushing through it than beating everything. Get through to the boss once, then architect until boss is dead. The last zone also feels that way somewhat.

Although with both of them, it gets better with more progression but also with learning enemy patterns better again. But Sun Tower's set-up feels more punishing that way

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

EC posted:

If the sun tower gives you trouble, roll an astrologer. The skill will absolutely invalidate the area. Other than that I can absolutely recommend buying the extra dash/jump rune.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Other than that I can absolutely recommend buying the extra dash/jump rune.

100% always run both of these.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

tildes posted:

Curse of the Dead Gods, tho it might not have enough meta progression for you

I tried Curse of the Dead Gods, and I should like it given that I like all the others in your list, but for some reason it just felt insubstantial I guess? I don't know what it is that just some action roguelites feel terrible. I guess it is just how much effort is spent in tuning the gameplay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EC posted:

hey, same! i'm at the same spot on xbox as well

there was a patch a couple days ago that made the platforming in the Tower easier, make sure you have it installed. it also gives an extra 20% gold in the tower

i spent probably too long on the third and fourth zones so i think i'm a bit over leveled, but yeah the enemies are tough

here's what i do every run:

start in the tower, clear a few screens, any time i get below 100 HP bop out and clear a few rooms of the Ice Zone or Axis Mundi, repeat

if you roll a character with something like Diva, don't even try to do the tower, just use it as a farming run

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Chin Strap posted:

Sun Tower's hard. That is the first real zone where I focused more on rushing through it than beating everything. Get through to the boss once, then architect until boss is dead. The last zone also feels that way somewhat.

Oh I unlocked the Architect but then immediately forgot about him. Good idea.

FrickenMoron posted:

If the sun tower gives you trouble, roll an astrologer. The skill will absolutely invalidate the area. Other than that I can absolutely recommend buying the extra dash/jump rune.

I definitely have had both of those on since I got them. The extra dash feels basically mandatory.

precision posted:

hey, same! i'm at the same spot on xbox as well

there was a patch a couple days ago that made the platforming in the Tower easier, make sure you have it installed. it also gives an extra 20% gold in the tower

i spent probably too long on the third and fourth zones so i think i'm a bit over leveled, but yeah the enemies are tough

here's what i do every run:

start in the tower, clear a few screens, any time i get below 100 HP bop out and clear a few rooms of the Ice Zone or Axis Mundi, repeat

if you roll a character with something like Diva, don't even try to do the tower, just use it as a farming run

Good tips, thanks. And yeah I don't bother even trying the Tower with +gold traits that are negative.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Have you tried going back to clear every earlier zone each run? If you don't, you're basically leaving massive HP upgrades on the table, or so I understand it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Strange Aeon posted:

Have you tried going back to clear every earlier zone each run? If you don't, you're basically leaving massive HP upgrades on the table, or so I understand it.

:shepface:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is it just me or does it feel like in NG+1 on at least, Pacifist and One-shot aren't even worth trying for farming runs? I just die too quick to make it to enough chests. The gold % bonus looks good but I'd rather just reroll

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why are you trying to revive that discussion?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

King of Solomon posted:

Why are you trying to revive that discussion?

I have missed that part of the discussion but I will absolutely not be clearing every level before hand

Chin Strap posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like in NG+1 on at least, Pacifist and One-shot aren't even worth trying for farming runs? I just die too quick to make it to enough chests. The gold % bonus looks good but I'd rather just reroll

I always pick Pacifist when it comes up because it makes the gameplay feel a lot different. Especially with the movement upgrades, it's just super fun to blitz through the rooms avoiding mobs and collecting stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Strange Aeon posted:

lmao :golfclap:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

I tried Curse of the Dead Gods, and I should like it given that I like all the others in your list, but for some reason it just felt insubstantial I guess? I don't know what it is that just some action roguelites feel terrible. I guess it is just how much effort is spent in tuning the gameplay.

That's an interesting reaction to it - I felt like it had the most precise controls I've ever seen in the isometric action space and a great feeling of impact on the heavier weapons. I could see the presentation leaving many people cold coming off of Hades, and the metaprogression might fall into a space that doesn't really work for anyone (it's almost but not entirely more options and just a tiny bit of more power, so you're much more likely to win your third run than your first but after a few your only advantage-building is in player skill). Insubstantial gameplay, though, not a charge I expected.

Interested to hear more if any details come back to you, but obviously not expecting anyone to boot up a game they don't like just to satisfy my curiosity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i played Curse of the Dead Gods before Hades and it still felt kinda... off. i liked it, but after a few runs i was like "meh"

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

victrix posted:

the darkest roguelike timeline

Truly

Chin Strap posted:

That's reasonable I think -- it's definitely the least strong recommend of that list. If you've played a bunch of Hades and liked it it's one of the games which is closest in terms of combat/run structure, but the moment-to-moment gameplay/combat also felt worse to me than Hades (or Dead Cells) for reasons I can't really articulate. I actually felt sort of the same way about Hades when I first tried it in EA after coming from Dead Cells with its incredibly well thought out mechanics for making movement and combat super fluid and responsive, though I definitely came around on Hades in a big way in the end.

e: I might load it up again to see if I'm misremembering/why I might have felt that way

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

nrook posted:

Rogue Legacy 2 is unpopular with the kinds of people who hated Rogue Legacy 1. But those people didn’t buy it, and everyone who didn’t dislike the core premise of the game (“roguelike that is mostly metaprogression”) seems to like it.

I hated Rogue Legacy but love Rogue Legacy 2. It really succeeds as an action platformer.

My favorite class is chef. The spoon is so insanely good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wittgen posted:

I hated Rogue Legacy but love Rogue Legacy 2. It really succeeds as an action platformer.

big :agreed: i didn't "hate" RL1 but it didn't hook me at all. meanwhile i have to physically force myself to play anything other than RL2 when i boot up my xbonx. been playing it for weeks and still am not on NG, that's a good value

quote:

My favorite class is chef. The spoon is so insanely good.

big disagree, lol, i can't use the spoon at all. i like the frying pan though

the best thing about RL2 is how much variety you get into at set progression points. like, when i unlocked the ability to always have a Contrarian on the hero select screen, it was like i had unlocked a whole new game

i pretty much only play my Contrarians now. i love when i get something hilariously busted like Astromancer's weapon with Ronin's teleport-kill. you just walk into the room, press A once, then press Y until everything is dead haha

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Spoon requires some ridiculous trick shots to actually hit anything while exploring; it's a pretty amazing boss killer though.

I think my favorite class so far is Enkindled Boxer. Once again, a great boss killer, but this time I also can deal with most hallway enemies at great personal risk to myself! :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RL1 felt horrible and floaty. Like a bad SNES game.
2 looks more crisp but platform pros seem to be the ones playing it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arzaac posted:

Spoon requires some ridiculous trick shots to actually hit anything while exploring; it's a pretty amazing boss killer though.

I think my favorite class so far is Enkindled Boxer. Once again, a great boss killer, but this time I also can deal with most hallway enemies at great personal risk to myself! :v:

Man, I struggle with both the spoon AND the enkindled boxer. I love the Ranger though. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

RL1 felt horrible and floaty. Like a bad SNES game.
2 looks more crisp but platform pros seem to be the ones playing it.

i definitely think it helps if you have played Celeste because then all the air-dash stuff will already be second nature to you

i would probably recommend Hollow Knight to play first, even though it's not a rogue, it's a great game and it will get you real good at platforming in fun ways

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the tip about the Architect, many many attempts later I have cleared the Sun Tower. 🎉

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EC posted:

Thanks for the tip about the Architect, many many attempts later I have cleared the Sun Tower. 🎉

pishon dry lake thirsts for blood

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Oxxidation posted:

pishon dry lake thirsts for blood

This place sucks!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EC posted:

This place sucks!

the boss arena is always the rightmost “fork” and the bottom-most one is a teleporter. the rest is mostly a killing pen

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Been playing a bunch of Arboria lately - someone talked it up a little in here when it first released and I just got around to it in the past week or two. I almost love this game, but it's got a really bad case of unfortunate metaprogression + making you redo the tedious bits before you can get to the challenge you're working on. It's extra obnoxious because there is an elevator you can open up to let you skip the early areas (which you will 100% be sleepwalking through), but the amount of power you give up to do that means you won't have any realistic chance at all in the last biome.

Did anyone slog all the way through this? Is the final boss cool enough to justify unlocking these last couple NPCs and then doing another full run with a stupid grenade tank build or something?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm the one who talked it up IIRC and yeah I did play it all the way through. I agree that its biggest flaw is the amount of power you can gain by replaying every floor each time. The shortcut elevators are frequent (every 5 floors I think?) and they start you off with a number of upgrade points based on how far they take you, so it's not actually that bad, except for the real powerhouse trait being the one that lets you do extra damage for holding essences of your weapon's element - that one was so strong it got be playing through every floor again just to collect essences :doh: But you can achieve roughly the same effect by starting 1-2 biomes before where you're actually at to get a headstart and still collect essences.

The later biomes change quite a lot in enemy tactics and environment and they were cool to see my way through, the last one especially is a huge departure it's a high-tech underground sci-fi lab.

I didn't play any NG+ though, I had seen everything the game had to offer by the time I beat it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tried out Time Break Chronicles and man, what a heartbreaker. Ran headlong into a dangerous fight on my first mission, lost half my party, took my backup character + picked up a new recruit and struggled through the rest of the mission short a party member. Very fun, delightfully tense. By the time I hit the next high danger fight on the second mission I'm up a couple of skill points and all semblance of challenge has gone out the window. Is there any way to crank up the difficulty on this? I finished the first act and there's an option to do escalating difficulty runs on the first act missions but they look like they need to be unlocked in order, which seems like a fair bit of grinding just to get to a difficulty level that's not a snoozefest.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When you have a strong team composition yeah it's pretty easy. Try out Singularity mode! It only contains Act 1 enemies currently (but it has the heroes from all acts), but it gets rid of Claire and makes you take a randomized party every time, plus everyone starts back at level 1 skills each time so you always have to work with what you get. It also has scaling difficulty levels unlocked each time you beat it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm the one who talked it up IIRC and yeah I did play it all the way through. I agree that its biggest flaw is the amount of power you can gain by replaying every floor each time. The shortcut elevators are frequent (every 5 floors I think?) and they start you off with a number of upgrade points based on how far they take you, so it's not actually that bad, except for the real powerhouse trait being the one that lets you do extra damage for holding essences of your weapon's element - that one was so strong it got be playing through every floor again just to collect essences :doh: But you can achieve roughly the same effect by starting 1-2 biomes before where you're actually at to get a headstart and still collect essences.

The later biomes change quite a lot in enemy tactics and environment and they were cool to see my way through, the last one especially is a huge departure it's a high-tech underground sci-fi lab.

I didn't play any NG+ though, I had seen everything the game had to offer by the time I beat it.

Booted it back up and finished NG tonight - the last biome wasn't as bad as I was expecting based on the first time I dipped my toe in, but I definitely wouldn't have made it without dying of boredom if they kept cranking up the generator count for a full six floors of that. Then the final boss had a billion health but was easily stunlocked. :effort:

I definitely can't see going through NG with the numbers cranked up the way they were, but I think I sound more negative on the game than I am - it's just so close to being something really great that the major missteps sting more than they would in a mediocre game. The way a well-planned build comes together is really great. Hopefully the dev team learned a lot for their next outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Tried out Time Break Chronicles and man, what a heartbreaker. Ran headlong into a dangerous fight on my first mission, lost half my party, took my backup character + picked up a new recruit and struggled through the rest of the mission short a party member. Very fun, delightfully tense. By the time I hit the next high danger fight on the second mission I'm up a couple of skill points and all semblance of challenge has gone out the window. Is there any way to crank up the difficulty on this? I finished the first act and there's an option to do escalating difficulty runs on the first act missions but they look like they need to be unlocked in order, which seems like a fair bit of grinding just to get to a difficulty level that's not a snoozefest.

Yes, play the roguelike mode. If you wanna enjoy the campaign a little more, swap out your characters a lot.