Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fennesz posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I just can't PvP in souls games any more. It's a game of inches and microseconds and the latency just straight up isn't consistent enough to support what it could/should be.

It's just a shame because when you get matched with someone pretty near you it feels amazing win or lose. No getting lag backstabbed or getting poked for damage when you're 20m away.

In that case, do what everybody else does: equip a Katana and spam R1. No skill required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

In that case, do what everybody else does: equip a Katana and spam R1. No skill required.

Yeah SLB + R1 is 75% of what people do and I don't even want to say it's imbalanced, it just makes the game boring.

I actually really like the versatility of katanas but I more or less exclusively use their deceptively long range through backstep R1's and R2's. I feel like my playstyle worked much better in DS1 because I'd usually swap weapons 2 or 3 times in any given fight just to throw my opponent off. Oddly enough not being able to move items/weapons around in menus kind of broke this for me (coupled with not being able to reliably switch weapons/stances while rolling anymore).

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

fennesz posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I just can't PvP in souls games any more. It's a game of inches and microseconds and the latency just straight up isn't consistent enough to support what it could/should be.

It's just a shame because when you get matched with someone pretty near you it feels amazing win or lose. No getting lag backstabbed or getting poked for damage when you're 20m away.

I had a lot of legit fun doing newbie fights in Undead Burg on a low SL character in DS1. No equipment I couldn't get at the time, just cheat myself a whole load of cracked red eye orbs, and have fair fights with newbies or Prostrate in front of people with their endgame SL1 characters.

PVP turns out to be a lot more fun when people aren't trying to minmax.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Yodzilla posted:

Speaking of real bad, I feel like I'm about halfway through Ivory King and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. The enemies aren't all that interesting, I haven't found any cool new loot, and it's ugly as hell once the weather is gone. Also there's some janky as gently caress hitboxes on a lot of the new enemy attacks. This feels way off compared to Sunken King.

Experiencing this DLC for the first time myself, I feel like Sunken King was absolutely terrible. It was an awful slog in a brown cave that led into a brown temple, they decided to bring back the Lost Izalith dragon butts for some absolutely retarded reason, most of the enemies have ridiculous amounts of health, and the loving invincible ghost gauntlet was about as much fun as hooking a car battery up to my junk. The two pretty cool back to back bosses were the only things that made the experience worth my time.

Ivory King is a pretty area and none of the enemies are terribly stupid or unfun to fight, though I will agree that they're definitely samey and the spellswords have some bullshit rear end hitboxes on their sweep attacks.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

The only thing I really hate in the Sunken King DLC is the Elana bossfight. I guess I was really lucky with the DX9 version, because she summoned some skeletons before I killed her, but now she just kept summoning Velstadt over and over and over. It took me about 11 humanities before I managed to kill her. I guess the RNG really wanted me to screw over this time...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Djeser posted:

PVP turns out to be a lot more fun when people aren't trying to minmax.

I don't feel like starting a lovely thread derail, but I had a bit of :confused: when I saw people talking about optimizing builds using the Agape Ring to invade ultra low soul level players with uber gear. What's the point? It's like budget griefing that takes a bunch of effort to set up. There's no gimmick, it's not particularly funny, and it's certainly not going to be a challenging fight.

But I suppose that's the nature of freeform invasions v:shobon:v

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

People did low level runs specifically to get the invasion stuff and grief early game people in Dark Soul 1. In Demon's Souls people run around with the Scrapping Spear specifically to break your stuff and annoy you. Invasions cater to people looking to be annoying to people that don't want to deal with them as much as they do people looking for an honest fight. You might not enjoy it or find it funny, but they do and their opinion is of equal value.

That's always been a problem I've had with invasions in this series, and this game in particular: it's pitting people that want to do something with people that might not. Which is why I like that the rest of the games in the series have always allowed you to choose whether or not to do multiplayer things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can choose in this one, it just calls you a twat and makes you spend annoying to mass items. Whereas before you had to spend them to maintain your online status.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ooooh yeah, effigies. I forgot all about human effigies.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kanos posted:

Ivory King is a pretty area and none of the enemies are terribly stupid or unfun to fight, though I will agree that they're definitely samey and the spellswords have some bullshit rear end hitboxes on their sweep attacks.

The hitbox thing was more a bunch of Avaa's attacks (the pounce and the grab) and the golem grabs.

e: i do like what they did with the "invaders" in Ivory King

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah between the frigid outskirts, weird hitboxes, bonewheel hedgehogs, and a literal "farm 50 of this item" task, ivory king is probably the worst dlc. I liked old iron king the best, though sinh was super cool.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh god gently caress those hedgehogs.

And they're not specific to this DLC but those weird wizards that also show up in the Dark Chasms always looked broken as gently caress to me. If you knock them down they just kinda rotate onto their backs and then do the same thing slowly to stand back up like it's missing an actual animation.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The one thing I miss the most in Bloodborne so far is the invasions. There is an "invasion" mechanic but everything about it is incredibly stupid and you're only at risk of invasion in certain limited situations. And as for co-op you wait three minutes trying to get summoned and then "Lost connection to the Bloodborne server, returning you to the title menu", to watch the obligatory unskippable Sony publisher screens :jerkbag: as if to say "hahaha we can't believe you're paying us $15/mo for this horse poo poo". Without any sort of robust online experience I can't see myself continuing to play BB beyond a couple of playthroughs, whereas DS2 will probably keep me coming back as long as there's newbies to Sunbro for and duelists at Iron Keep to fight.

It's just not the same if you're not on your toes for an invader coming to wreck your poo poo at the worst possible moment. Yeah sometimes you get killed in a completely bullshit way, but then sometimes you get invaded deep within a difficult area and you have a really tense and down-to-the-wire fight and it's such a great experience when everything all aligns perfectly like that. But on the other hand much as I like it happening to me I'd never invade at like, the end of No Man's or Tseldora or whatever because I could see how that would massively piss off a whole bunch of players. Invasions should be an opt-in thing, it'd be more fun for everybody.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

The one thing I miss the most in Bloodborne so far is the invasions. There is an "invasion" mechanic but everything about it is incredibly stupid and you're only at risk of invasion in certain limited situations. And as for co-op you wait three minutes trying to get summoned and then "Lost connection to the Bloodborne server, returning you to the title menu", to watch the obligatory unskippable Sony publisher screens :jerkbag: as if to say "hahaha we can't believe you're paying us $15/mo for this horse poo poo". Without any sort of robust online experience I can't see myself continuing to play BB beyond a couple of playthroughs, whereas DS2 will probably keep me coming back as long as there's newbies to Sunbro for and duelists at Iron Keep to fight.

Sounds like you need to get to one of the Nightmare areas, where invasions are not opt-in :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been reading through Berserk for the first time and anybody who is a huge fan of the Souls series that hasn't yet really has to do themselves service and read the manga or watch the anime or movies (or both).

Its extremely obvious it was the inspiration for tons of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and even Bloodborne has references too (The Caryl runes are like exactly the same shape as the sacrifice mark) The medieval setting, the knights, weapons, armor, demons, and brutal, bleak world are all directly based on Berserk.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Ivory King has the best NPC invasions, a large and fairly complex area to explore, and some really nice loot. The hedgehogs are annoying but for the most part quite manageable as long as you approach them methodically. The crystal-back spellswords with spears and shields are the real bullshit.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Ivory King has the best NPC invasions, a large and fairly complex area to explore, and some really nice loot. The hedgehogs are annoying but for the most part quite manageable as long as you approach them methodically. The crystal-back spellswords with spears and shields are the real bullshit.

The hedgehogs are trivial if you have a ranged weapon. It's kind of too bad that most of what is difficult or annoying in DS2 is trivialized by ranged attacks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Paracelsus posted:

I hate those fuckers more than any other enemy in Ivory King besides maybe the reindeer. They have weird phantom hitboxes on their spear swipes, ridiculous amounts of poise, can't be backstabbed, and do crazy rear end damage for what amounts to "generic enemy with spear".

None of the other enemies really bothered me(rampart golems are loving rad as poo poo and I love them), the NPC invasions are super cool, and Eleum Loyce's layout is really complex and cool. It actually feels like you're exploring a castle, which is funny because that was one of the biggest disappointments about DkS2(Drangleic being a series of empty hallways and staircases with no logical layout).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the DLC is by far the best part of DS2' level design. Its so much better its almost offensive, like you kinda want the rest of DS2 to be that good in retrospect. Even most of DS1 can't begin to compare with the DS2 DLC.

Sanctum City, Brume Tower, and Frozen Eleum Loyce are each wholly unique, offering completely different design philosophies, and really really cool.

Sanctum City is great for the scale of it, you feel super epic as soon as you step foot in. The dragon pops his head up and you can see the big aztec tower down below that you know is where you have to end up, but then you spend a good bit of time exploring the city and working your way down there, only for everything to loop back around again.

Brume Tower is super vertical, levels stacked on top of themselves with elevators. The way you have to power up the building and then go back and explore newly opened paths using the moving elevators is fantastic and feels super Castlevania in so many ways. The general environment and aesthetic to everything is boss as hell, like the way it opens with you walking across the great chain, like the flying buttresses' in Anor Londo but much, much bigger and more dangerous. Then there's all the stuff with the smelter wedges and the Queen...

And finally Frozen Eleum Loyce like you said actually feels more like exploring a castle than any of the other areas do, even Forest of Fallen Giants or Iron Keep aren't the same. It feels like Anor Londo but with a frozen elemental makeover, and like Brume Tower the way you explore halfway through it and then activate something that opens up previously hidden paths is really really amazing. The levels sprawl out and you really feel like its a huge zone and a real city and not just a video game level.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brume Tower felt like they were really trying for the kind of tension you had doing the Tower of Latria for the first time but with more jump scares.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

brume tower has probably my favorite level design out of all the souls games including bloodborne (second half of forbidden forest loses out only because towers are cooler)

mandrake776
Nov 6, 2006

There's nothing quite like urinating in the open air.

double nine posted:

CRYSTAL LIZARDS ARE DICKS

You're not wrong, but they're so much better than they used to be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Brume Tower felt like they were really trying for the kind of tension you had doing the Tower of Latria for the first time but with more jump scares.

Sorta, but it doesn't really come close. Tower of Latria stands alone for the atmosphere and tension. Bloodborne is the only thing that comes close.

Its cool though because Brume Tower does its own cool poo poo too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mandrake776 posted:

You're not wrong, but they're so much better than they used to be.

*shudders* this was the worst thing in demons souls, other than world tendency and item weight/stockpile thomas and that drat swamp

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One of the best changes in BB is making the crystal lizards infinitely easier to kill. I constantly surprises me that I can kill them all, because in DS2 it was so hard to hit them with most weapons before they ran away that I didn't even TRY to kill them unless I was specifically going for just that. I'd blow them all off and then come back and clear the zone later targeting each of them from the get-go if I needed the mats.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I just got SotFS and want to try a DEX build. What are some good DEX weapons besides the Rapier, particularly for multiple opponents? Is that chest in Majula with the early Black Steel Katana and Murakumo still in?

Also, is there any downside to just killing Lucatiel for her gear if you don't want to go through her storyline?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just got SotFS and want to try a DEX build. What are some good DEX weapons besides the Rapier, particularly for multiple opponents? Is that chest in Majula with the early Black Steel Katana and Murakumo still in?

Also, is there any downside to just killing Lucatiel for her gear if you don't want to go through her storyline?

Like half the weapons in the game are good for DEX dude, are you loving kidding? Need more than that. I mean you've got spears, thrusting swords, curved swords, curved greatswords, katanas, twinblades, whips, bows, etc. etc. etc. And those are just categories, there's like two dozen of each category of weapon and they're all good with DEX, and then after that there's the quality weapons which are good for dex too... :psyduck:

The chest gives you special "rare" weapons; it had a "white" black steel katana, then later it had an off-color Murakumo, then later an off-color blue longsword, etc. They were only available each one at a time for a brief time except for a special event before SOTFS came out where they were all available in the chest for a few days. I don't think you can get any of them right now.

You don't get all of Lucatiel's stuff if you kill her. She only drops the mask. You have to do the questline for the rest.
You have to buy her stuff instead of getting it for free, but I guess there's not anything you miss out on. I can't remember anything anyways...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 28, 2015

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't get all of Lucatiel's stuff if you kill her. She only drops the mask. You have to do the questline for the rest.

Wiki says that you can get her stuff off Melentia if you kill her. Not 100% sure if that's accurate.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Anything that slashes, no, and you have to buy her stuff instead from the hag, respectively.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wiki says that you can get her stuff off Melentia if you kill her. Not 100% sure if that's accurate.

Actually no I think that is true.

Hm, I'm trying to think and I guess you don't really miss out on anything. You have to buy the sword though which is 10k souls but no biggie there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Sounds like you need to get to one of the Nightmare areas, where invasions are not opt-in :getin:

You could just kill the bell maiden before anyone invades. That's not very hard, either, since matchmaking is pretty slow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Neo_Crimson posted:

Melentia sells the gear of any NPC you kill.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Melentia sells the gear of any NPC you kill.

Isn't there sometimes stuff missing? Like maybe you don't get her sword from melentia? I vaguely remember that being true for pate before SotFS.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pate drops his spear when you kill him so she doesn't need to sell it

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there an easy way to get this to run in borderless windowed? Or a way to make it play nice with VLC at least, I'd like to have something on while I'm waiting for coop.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah the DLC is really good overall, I think I'm just getting a bit grumpy because I've burned myself out on Souls games a bit. I haven't played anything but them since Bloodborne was released.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm beginning to think that I simply do not have the ability to beat Fume Knight. It's reaching the point where if you were to take my number of attempts at all the other bosses in the game and add them together, they would roughly equal my number of tries at this guy. I mostly have the first part down, though I swear he sometimes just backs off so that he can wander near that loving idol and let me know I've wasted the last two minutes.

The second part is the real fucker for me. I can dodge his stuff most of the time, but I can take maybe two hits, and then I'm dead. And given how much HP he has, and the fewer chances you have to hit him in his second form, I always end up getting hit at least twice. Sometimes he hits me once, then kills me as I'm getting up before I can dodge, which is always a laugh.

Maybe my weapon sucks? +5 Craftsman's Hammer and 40 STR have been more than enough to deal with pretty much every other fight in the game, but I don't know if this guy has special resistances. I'm definitely not doing as much damage as the video posted earlier., though granted I have no miracles or anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chard posted:

Is there an easy way to get this to run in borderless windowed? Or a way to make it play nice with VLC at least, I'd like to have something on while I'm waiting for coop.

Borderless Gaming does the trick for me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

I'm beginning to think that I simply do not have the ability to beat Fume Knight. It's reaching the point where if you were to take my number of attempts at all the other bosses in the game and add them together, they would roughly equal my number of tries at this guy. I mostly have the first part down, though I swear he sometimes just backs off so that he can wander near that loving idol and let me know I've wasted the last two minutes.

The second part is the real fucker for me. I can dodge his stuff most of the time, but I can take maybe two hits, and then I'm dead. And given how much HP he has, and the fewer chances you have to hit him in his second form, I always end up getting hit at least twice. Sometimes he hits me once, then kills me as I'm getting up before I can dodge, which is always a laugh.

Maybe my weapon sucks? +5 Craftsman's Hammer and 40 STR have been more than enough to deal with pretty much every other fight in the game, but I don't know if this guy has special resistances. I'm definitely not doing as much damage as the video posted earlier., though granted I have no miracles or anything.

summon some buds, grind out a gyrm greatshield, and buy the red eye ring thing, then stare him down with ridiculous stability while your two buds murder him and hopefully dont die terribly. the last part will be the most difficult part of doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You either need 100-105 agility or what control volume said. As far as weapons go there are probably better options. I dont personally like the hammer because it has pretty short reach. One of my favorite STR weapons for bosses is the drakekeeper warpick but it's really annoying to farm so probably not the most ideal choice.