Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That is great flavor text considering the focus of the card.

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, there's no way these durdle-turtle garbage build-arounds (Lattice, Revenant, Dub Season) hold any real value after they get reprints. They aren't even worth playing at anything but the most kitchen tabliest games.

But, on the plus side, we are getting rad poo poo like Seedborn Mana Rock, Trinket Spelltutor, and 5c Warrior Lord, so I'm p stoked about this dumb set.

I mean, not only are you wrong and seeing things through only the eyes of your cEDH table which is niche, you are advocating for not throwing any reprints in the set because they are going to drop in value. What, pray tell, is the point of reprinting cards? Of course the value is going to drop; that is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

that is incredibly scummy but also hilarious sooooo

Wasting the judge's time is definitely scummy but I can dig the mind games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shadow225 posted:

you are advocating for not throwing any reprints in the set because they are going to drop in value.

Not even remotely close to what I said.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Playing Pithing Needle effects at an LGS is so risky. I've seen a spectator say, "That doesn't work" at least twice because they think they're being helpful.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mandatory lesbian posted:

that is incredibly scummy but also hilarious sooooo

This is basically all of LSV's stories.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Playing Pithing Needle effects at an LGS is so risky. I've seen a spectator say, "That doesn't work" at least twice because they think they're being helpful.

my favorite part of playing pithing needle at my lgs is when they let it resolve and I ask "are you sure" repeatedly before sighing and just telling them to crack their fetchland

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Not even remotely close to what I said.

quote:

Yeah, there's no way these durdle-turtle garbage build-arounds (Lattice, Revenant, Dub Season) hold any real value after they get reprints.

basically in response to

The Shortest Path posted:

Another $25-30 reprint! It just keeps getting better and better.

So what is the point in casting the reprint of value cards in a negative light?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

They've done something interesting with, of all things, the Collectors Numbers of this set.

It looks like they're split into three groups: partner cards, other new cards, reprints.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

my favorite part of playing pithing needle at my lgs is when they let it resolve and I ask "are you sure" repeatedly before sighing and just telling them to crack their fetchland

For stuff like that I tell them what they should have done after the game. Feelbads stick in the memory better and make for better learning experiences. (That's how I learned, at least.)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Elyv posted:

They've done something interesting with, of all things, the Collectors Numbers of this set.

It looks like they're split into three groups: partner cards, other new cards, reprints.

Makes it harder to suss out the missing rare lands or thoughtseize reprints of each new set

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

dont people always guess reprinted cards from the collector numbers, this is actually a pretty good way to avoid that

watch it never come up again

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A Moose posted:

You can add blue to play the pirate that tutors for equipment, and the vampire Forerunner. Shouldn't be that hard to draw the combo. Blue also allows you to play Negates to protect it

if mana fixing were better on arena i would absolutely do this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

little munchkin posted:

I like the play pattern:

1. Meddling Mage, naming lightning bolt [bad shortcutting, but legal]

2. In response, I bolt your face

1. Okay, in that case, naming Path to Exile [again, legal since your opponent rewound you to MM on the stack]

2. That's not fair, I should be able to 'get' you!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone going to the teams GP in Washington DC?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Good news everyone! Benthic Giant, Pacifism, and Fumble mean I can pull of my absolute favorite corner play of all time!

It's called putting pacifism on my opponents benthic giant

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Elyv posted:

The reprints being separate isn't new for supplemental sets. The partners being together might be to do with the collation I guess?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Matsuri posted:

For stuff like that I tell them what they should have done after the game. Feelbads stick in the memory better and make for better learning experiences. (That's how I learned, at least.)

I'll do that for most stuff but needle (or arbiter) on a fetchland just stops the game from being played. I just want to jam some cards and have fun. My opponent can get good on their own time.

I did get someone with pithing needle at an SCG classic though. Scapeshift opponent who was already tilted after losing game one to a blood moon. He tried to crack his foothills in response to me naming it, I told him not so fast and he immediately started packing up his stuff. Turn one win baby.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shadow225 posted:

basically in response to

So what is the point in casting the reprint of value cards in a negative light?

He's saying that it's good they're getting reprinted because it deflates their ballooned up prices, ya goofball.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The reprints being separate isn't new for supplemental sets. The partners being together might be to do with the collation I guess?

Oh you're right, I missed it in CN2 and whenever else they've done it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Top 10 E-sport.

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/999731652376125440?s=19

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love the goblin swooning over him.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

To be fair, esports in general just don't pay much of anything.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Star Man posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44209061

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

You still have to win to get paid anything, unlike a professional sports league where you get paid no matter how bad your team's year was.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Did we talk about this cool cat yet? Because it seems insane in a 2hg format.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Did we talk about this cool cat yet? Because it seems insane in a 2hg format.

He's a reprint and while searching up to 3 plains to hand early is certainly good value, it's not game-breaking.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wish Oreskos Explorer was a land called Squadron Rock.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

You still have to win to get paid anything, unlike a professional sports league where you get paid no matter how bad your team's year was.

back when I followed some esports a couple years back, the teams in the big games(LoL, Dota, etc) were getting salaries, although I don't know how much

can't speak to what's happened since

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Toshimo posted:

He's a reprint and while searching up to 3 plains to hand early is certainly good value, it's not game-breaking.

It's a 2 drop that helps you curve out, solves mana screw on it's own, and is fine later unless you're flooding hard. It seems very strong to me. I didn't realize it was a reprint, but it's yet one more that was extremely well chosen for this set.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

back when I followed some esports a couple years back, the teams in the big games(LoL, Dota, etc) were getting salaries, although I don't know how much

can't speak to what's happened since

There are people whgo get paid for appearance fees, sponsorships, and streaming services, but you don't get poo poo if you can't place. You don't get anything but the airfare to a Pro Tour if you bomb. Meanwhile, a NASCAR driver that finishes dead last still gets paid and a soccer player in a club that finished in a season low enough to get relegated still gets paid.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

There is a shitload of money in esports my man. If you can sucessfully market your game as an esport, then financing tournaments is a really effective form of marketing. Other advertisers are also starting to figure out how market to the fans as a demographic.

Star Man posted:

Most pro teams pay a guaranteed salary in exchange for some percentage of prize money. Some esports it's just a living wage and you really need that prize money to make it, but there's a few like overwatch and league where the competitive scene is heavily financed by the publisher and everyone gets paid good.

Also some times your sponsor keeps 100% of the prize money, because esports is an unregulated wild west and nerdy 17 year-olds are probably good targets to scam.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

There are people whgo get paid for appearance fees, sponsorships, and streaming services, but you don't get poo poo if you can't place. You don't get anything but the airfare to a Pro Tour if you bomb. Meanwhile, a NASCAR driver that finishes dead last still gets paid and a soccer player in a club that finished in a season low enough to get relegated still gets paid.

Yeah and a golfer that doesn't place doesn't get paid either. So what. Some sports have agents and contracts and salaries and others don't. It's an unhelpful point to make.

Discussing whether hasbro is actually serious about promoting magic as a top tier esport or whatever is something we can actually discuss. I think it's all a joke, but you can tell they're trying, what with the $1 million pro tour weekend for example.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah and a golfer that doesn't place doesn't get paid either. So what. Some sports have agents and contracts and salaries and others don't. It's an unhelpful point to make.

Discussing whether hasbro is actually serious about promoting magic as a top tier esport or whatever is something we can actually discuss. I think it's all a joke, but you can tell they're trying, what with the $1 million pro tour weekend for example.

Golf is probably not a great example because of how much endorsement deals for gear cost since rich folk who play golf use the same equipment pros use.

The simple answer is that WOTC isn't going to have Fortnite level prize support because MTG is niche as gently caress compared to Fortnite.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Angry Grimace posted:

Golf is probably not a great example because of how much endorsement deals for gear cost since rich folk who play golf use the same equipment pros use.

The simple answer is that WOTC isn't going to have Fortnite level prize support because MTG is niche as gently caress compared to Fortnite.

Though it will probably outlast Fortnite.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Star Man posted:

hasbro's q4 revenue for gaming as a whole was was only $46m more than fortnite's april revenue. mtg is a big portion of that but not all of it.

born on a buy you fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 25, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

I mean, cockroaches outlasted the Northern White Rhino, too. :v: :(

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Magic is better than any video game but it's literally impossible to make coverage engaging on virtually any level so it's doomed to be low-reward

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is notably more than all esports paid in 2017 combined, and hasn't actually been paid out yet or if it's just hot air.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Magic is better than any video game but it's literally impossible to make coverage engaging on virtually any level so it's doomed to be low-reward

Watching coverage of Magic in any way usually means you need to know every single relevant card for it to be even sort of engaging. I don't know if that's true of eSports though, because I find watching other people play video games to be dull as dishwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Watching coverage of Magic in any way usually means you need to know every single relevant card for it to be even sort of engaging. I don't know if that's true of eSports though, because I find watching other people play video games to be dull as dishwater.

Not even that, it means you need to be able to READ every card in play in order to even know what's going on. Half the time when I watch Magic coverage, I can't even tell what loving card is which most of the time, which makes for a pretty boring experience.

But I think that's just any eSports that requires base knowledge of the game in question in general. poo poo like Fortnite is easy to understand: you shoot things, they die. If the dude you're rooting for is the last one alive, cool. That's pretty much it and why it appeals to a much broader audience (that, and FPS games are FAR more mainstream than even the most mainstream card game with an encyclopedia's worth of esoteric rules).