Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Two Shades of Lego

Don't kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

sort the parts by color

Reminds me of when I got back to Lego for the original UCS Falcon. I ripped everything open and put it into a large pile. Then I opened the manual and started building.

I was a bit surprised when my brother finished his Falcon (him beeing back into Lego a year or two longer) in quarter the time I did and looked at me quite puzzled when I said "yeah, well, finding the pieces takes time".

He then explained the numbers to me.

I didn't feel very clever that day...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1169596275873988609?s=20

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'm so happy these sell well enough to keep LEGO afloat to make cool stuff.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

meh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I'm so happy these sell well enough to keep LEGO afloat to make cool stuff.

Also good for keeping the supply of light grey very high, which is the most important color (blue is second).

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
A little underwhelming to be honest, only two minifigs and no indication of any internal detail. For the price they could have included some lighting or maybe extra ships. And finally, like the X-Wing, Lego already has a half dozen star destroyer sets, and for this size, the super star destroyer would have been a cooler set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

Also good for keeping the supply of light grey very high, which is the most important color (blue is second).

That dark blue is really nice.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
As someone who owns the original this one seems underwhelming, especially at that price point. I'm sure it'll be far more stable as mine succumbed to a cat and thus was never rebuilt.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Scipiotik posted:

As someone who owns the original this one seems underwhelming, especially at that price point. I'm sure it'll be far more stable as mine succumbed to a cat and thus was never rebuilt.

I remember my cat kicking off one of the shield emitters and playing with it. Once I realized how expensive they are to replace, I got on my belly and searched really hard, really long. I found it, but it wasn't a nice search...(why do cats have to eat their prey under the sofa...)

And I agree that it's underwhelming. There was the rumour of a lighting kit for it based on the Control+ box (why Control+ though? Lighting is lights on and off....), but even if it turns out to be true, it would make the set even more expensive if you want it with "official Lego lights" instead of a third party set.

The new pictures also seem to indicate they didn't actually fix the gap along the center.

Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for a new UCS B-Wing, as I missed the first one. Still looking forward to the Liebherr, even though the price is pretty awful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/imperial-star-destroyer-75252

Starting to show up on the shops. 850$ Canadian. Cripes.

I'm curious how the stand works/is constructed. It looks insanely light/flimsy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For that price it should be way more SNOT than it is.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Those aren't studs, that's greebling!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh right I forgot the empire has a reputation for greebles being arrayed in perfect grids. :v:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Oh right I forgot the empire has a reputation for greebles being arrayed in perfect grids. :v:

Gotta create thye trenches man.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Yeah, unfortunately this is going to be a no from me. It only has a bit more than half of the pieces as Millennium Falcon, but the price is almost the same. I also already have the one from the early 2000s and this doesn't seem that much different if I'm honest. In addition, since the redesign, Lego website is actively unpleasant to use and I can't really be bothered to deal with "cashing in" the VIP points and all that crap, not to mention that the website thinks i'm not a VIP even though I am and can login to my VIP account and see my points. Oh well.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want to see the UCS Falcon and Star Destroyer side-by-side.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh. Only 4700 pieces. $650 dollars. That's not good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It seriously only has 2 minifigs? What the gently caress? I mean, there's not really any cool minifigs you can do but didn't the Falcon have like 8 or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh. Only 4700 pieces. $650 dollars. That's not good.

700 dollars.

yeah I dunno, I love it, but it's horrifically over priced. It's funny I also thought the Falcon's price was insane but it's a steal by comparison. It'll be something I'll probably eyeball until it wears me down in a year though. SD is one of the few things I don't have in any capacity from the OT at this point.

I get why they can get away with charging a premium for these extravagant sets but I think they are shooting too high. Can't see any reason why that set should have been over $500. Its a layer of plates over a technic skeleton. Looks beautiful though.

Heres the designer video since no ones posted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CQ8iYJgrWk

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 5, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Size-wise it doesn't look that far off from the Falcon, and it has a shitload of tiny pieces.

So I don't feel bad about the price and is going to get one.

Then again, I'm on record having very poor judgement and impulse control when it comes to plastic.
Why yes, I both collect UCS sets and Warhammer :shepspends:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I love the Star Destroyer but yeah at that price I need, as others have said, more minifigs, some interior play space, and/or some lighting.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Is there really no appreciable interior on that thing? It's just, like, a ballista bolt head made of Lego?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

According to the designer video, one of the biggest priorities was that you'd be able to just pick up and move around the thing as is.
So it seems they've decided structural integrity > interior

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Habibi posted:

Is there really no appreciable interior on that thing? It's just, like, a ballista bolt head made of Lego?

No, it's literally just this skeleton with a bunch of large panels attached to it:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get why they do it and I even agree that it's smart and good but damned if it wouldn't bother me knowing all those janky colors are in there

Also, lol at how much the whole thing flexes and bends when he attaches the little blockade runner to the side. I mean, that is a really cool addition, but yikes on the structure of the thing

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sigher posted:

No, it's literally just this skeleton with a bunch of large panels attached to it:

Ugh. I can appreciate the tiny details and greebling, but as an overall Lego product that is incredibly hard pass.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

As someone who still has yet to put together the Millenium Falcon UCS even though I bought it last year, my first reaction is "oh cool!" followed by "oh well that's kind of...basic."

Maybe if the sets still around in a year or two and Lego drops the price for May the 4th or something. Totally agree that a SSD or lighting would have been more welcomed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Enough of these reissues/remakes, where’s my UCS Home One, Liberty, and Nebulon-B? :argh:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
which vintage lego theme is the most horny?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Enough of these reissues/remakes, where’s my UCS Home One, Liberty, and Nebulon-B? :argh:

Besides none of those really being iconic enough for a UCS set, I think the Nebulon-B couldn’t be made at that scale and meet Lego’s fragility standards for a model.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Kanine posted:

which vintage lego theme is the most horny?

Is the Viking line old enough to be considered vintage? That one had tons of horns.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Still want a UCS blockade runner though.
And an A-wing because seriously what the gently caress. There's been two ucs y-wings, one b-wing, and two(?) x-wings already.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I finally got enough space to build and display my Helicarrier, but I'm not totally in love with the minifigure display that is included with it. I'm thinking about replacing the current minifigures with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hulk and Hawkeye.

Any suggestions on how to build or modify the display stand so they'll all fit without looking too out of place?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Groetgaffel posted:

Still want a UCS blockade runner though.
And an A-wing because seriously what the gently caress. There's been two ucs y-wings, one b-wing, and two(?) x-wings already.

There is a UCS blockade runner. poo poo, the one on the shelves right now is basically a UCS set except in name.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
The Star Destroyer looks loving amazing and that ship is one of my favourite from Star Wars, but no way am I ever owning it at that price. Christ.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
$1100 AUD-- who is this for?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

$1200 NZD. Plenty of people in the NZ AFOL scene are already saving up for one, they're going to be popular here. Heaps have the UCS Falcon after all.

It also helps that the first UCS Star Destroyer is 17 years old and a lot of local AFOLs didn't get into Lego (again) until recently. Also, I'm not sure 10030 was ever released in NZ in the first place, at least not widely.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But at 1200$ the only people who will be able to afford it are members of the all blacks and Jacinda Adern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Who said anything about 'affording' it? That sounds like financial responsibility and, as we all know, AFOLs lack that.