Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh god oh wait I figured it out, I think; the MBP already has a .musiclibrary library, the .itl version I still had kicking around is just another one of those redundant vestigial artifacts that it hasn't cleaned up yet! The four missing albums were the ones I added since converting to Music.

How is it that iTunes/Music lets you configure where your Media folder is, but not where your Library is?!

E: the missing albums are restored BUT NOW IT'S EATEN MY ALBUM ART COME ON-

All album art is still visible on the files but isn't showing in Music. Any ideas?

E2: Also; now, whenever I play a track, Music moves it from ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/iTunes Music/Artist/Album/track to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Artist/Album/track. What the hell is going on?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I also have an iTunes library that I’ve been building since 2004 and I really wish Apple would stop doing everything in their power to somehow make the experience of playing a goddamn MP3 worse with each update.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly iTunes 1.0 was the best release

I might start listening to music again if I could download it somewhere

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No but really can you please post your temps. I need to see if my MacBook Air is an anomaly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I ran Consolidate Library and it moved everything from ~/Music/iTunes Media/Music into ~/Music/iTunes Media. Okay! Now whenever I play something, Music moves it back to ~/Music/iTunes Media/Music! Apple Music! What is it doing!

E: On closer inspection, whenever I play something that's in iTunes Media, which allegedly is my media folder, Music will pause for a couple seconds, then play a seemingly random track from somewhere in iTunes Media/Music, before moving the track I chose and like the 50 or so tracks after it in the display order into iTunes Media/Music. Then the fans blare for a minute. What the christ is even notionally happening here. I can see AMPLibraryAgent running away in the background; I gather it's working through the boatload of music I've just added. I've heard some people say the missing album art issue resolves itself after a while once Music has gotten its poo poo together. Can anyone confirm this?

Captain Apollo posted:

No but really can you please post your temps. I need to see if my MacBook Air is an anomaly.

Later!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 17, 2020

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Data Graham posted:

Wouldn't you need OS 9 or an early version of OS X?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have a 16"MBP with a CalDigit TS3 Plus and a 4k LG monitor. Every time my macbook goes to sleep it crashes and I have to unplug the dock and plug it back in to get the computer to reboot. Some light googling tells me that this is an issue for folks using external displays but I wanted to see if anyone has a workout that I can use to keep my computer for crashing every night?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hekk posted:

I have a 16"MBP with a CalDigit TS3 Plus and a 4k LG monitor. Every time my macbook goes to sleep it crashes and I have to unplug the dock and plug it back in to get the computer to reboot. Some light googling tells me that this is an issue for folks using external displays but I wanted to see if anyone has a workout that I can use to keep my computer for crashing every night?

I can't speak to the monitor aspect but I (and a number of others online) were having an issue in 10.15.4 with 16" MBPs kernel panicking while asleep and plugged in. Turning off Power Nap seems to fix it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Small White Dragon posted:

I can't speak to the monitor aspect but I (and a number of others online) were having an issue in 10.15.4 with 16" MBPs kernel panicking while asleep and plugged in. Turning off Power Nap seems to fix it.

Awesome! I just disabled Power Nap. I will see if that does the trick. I appreciate the assistance.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Data Graham posted:

You can find 2 on macintosh garden, at least.

How well does space grey stuff hold up? I'm looking at this rather old MBP of mine, and it's certainly got a bunch of scratches and the horribly sharp edge along the front has been worn down to something decidedly less sharp. This doesn't look terrible on a regular silver/aluminum one, because they're still more or less the same color, but how do scratches on space grey stuff look?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
2 is probably the seriously earliest version you'd actually want, anyway.
3 added Smart Playlists and Star Ratings. It's all been downhill since.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hit my Match limit today, so I've pretty much given up on Music. It's loving terrible, and I'm someone who had essentially no major issues with iTunes for over a decade. Jesus.
How many songs do you have :stare:

Binary Badger posted:

And make sure you join a Zoom chat where there's at least 8 participants each playing their own dopey frog / pron / JoJo mp4 as their virtual background
I know Zoom gets the fans goin.

Captain Apollo posted:

What kind of temps are you seeing? I stopped caring and don't have mine in front of me right now, but I think last I was paying attention during usage it was generally like 50-70C depending on load with no or fairly inaudible fan noise. Crapload of Safari windows, a few chat apps, Mail, YouTube in Safari, or Spotify in Firefox, etc. Some other productivity stuff but...not really being that productive lately, so small sample size there.

Really Zoom is the primary thing I've seen run temp/noise up. I forget exactly but probably in the 90s knowing Apple and fans. I used Turbo Boost Switcher to disable turbo and it still managed to eventually get the fans audibly going, but at a lower temp iirc. Basically gently caress Zoom. I'd use the web client in Chrome/Firefox (for security reasons if nothing else) but not sure I'd expect that much better, and it was limited participant gallery view wise I think.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thinking about buying the revised 13 inch next year (if we live that long). can anyone rec a good USB-C/thunderbolt 3 hub that's like $100 or less

and followup, since Ice Lake is gonna have TB3 built into it, does that bode well for there being more TB3 devices that don't cost like $800

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

How many songs do you have :stare:

Doesn’t it max out at like 25k songs? Not totally out there if you’re 25-45 and have been accumulating music for 1.5+ decades

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They changed it to 100k a while back, but my mp3 collection has gone with me from machine to machine, so it was inevitable I’d hit it at some point.

Yeah I probably should just use the full streaming service and reduce the collection down to the stuff that doesn’t match. It’ll happen one day when I want to put in the effort I expect, but the new app reeeeeeally doesn’t make that appealing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just wish someone would make a good music streaming service

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

landgrabber posted:

thinking about buying the revised 13 inch next year (if we live that long). can anyone rec a good USB-C/thunderbolt 3 hub that's like $100 or less

Doesn't exist, but I've just started to see yumcha TB3 products on amazon so maybe soon?

e.g. https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B085TBNHMY?ref=myi_title_dp
AUD160 which is far less than any real TB3 dock.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Doesn't exist, but I've just started to see yumcha TB3 products on amazon so maybe soon?

e.g. https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B085TBNHMY?ref=myi_title_dp
AUD160 which is far less than any real TB3 dock.

There are lots of USB-C ones though! I have a dodocool one that works great for if you need Ethernet. https://www.dodocool.com/p-dc35b.html

And a popwoods one that’s a bit smaller and prettier. https://www.amazon.ca/POPWOODS-Portable-Adapter-Support-Delivery/dp/B076D6VHZL

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I solved the album art problem, mostly. It turns out that between iTunes and Music they changed where they store Album Artwork but in the grand tradition they don't clean up the old files, so I just copied over the big obvious Album Artwork folder in my installation like a moron rather than doing the obvious thing of looking in ~/Library/Containers/com.Apple.AMPArtworkAgent/Data/Documents and copying that across instead. Duh.

Anyway that fixed most of the art except a handful that got eaten for reasons I still don't understand but it was all of an hour's work to fix those. Hooray?

Christ I hate Apple Music but it's the only repository I have and I like the fact that I can still see the exact order I built it in up to 2004 (and I know for a fact I have data before then but it all got flattened when I was young and stupid and ported it from an outgoing Pixar iMac to an Aluminium G4book so now we can never know when I got all those rips from Galbadia Hotel.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's why I store the album art in the file like you're not supposed to do. Sure it adds 7GB to my 85GB music library but I sleep soundly knowing it will always be there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

That's why I store the album art in the file like you're not supposed to do. Sure it adds 7GB to my 85GB music library but I sleep soundly knowing it will always be there.

i hope those are high-quality megapixel-plus scans!!!!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
MBA heat/fan update upon experiencing it now, I was doing some basic stuff in Affinity Photo and at some point things started heating up. Confusing since I wasn't really doing much (just cropping and moving stuff around for a dumb Zoom background), then looked at a CPU monitor and noticed Zoom in the background taking up like 60% cause I forgot to close the video preview window. Quitting Zoom dropped things from 90-100 down to 60-70C.

landgrabber posted:

and followup, since Ice Lake is gonna have TB3 built into it, does that bode well for there being more TB3 devices that don't cost like $800
I'm sure it'll help pricing, but a certain point a somewhat niche thing (like eGPU) is still going to be pricier just cause volume. For docks, TB3 ones might come down, but ultimately they'll still carry a premium over whatever USB-C ones. On the plus side, USB-C docks should be totally fine for a lot of uses.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Doesn’t it max out at like 25k songs? Not totally out there if you’re 25-45 and have been accumulating music for 1.5+ decades
100k as mentioned, but I was misremembering how it all worked, I thought that was for the uploaded (non matched) limit vs your whole library limit.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

zoom spun up the fans on my quad-core thinkpad from just running in the system tray lol

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

tuyop posted:

There are lots of USB-C ones though! I have a dodocool one that works great for if you need Ethernet. https://www.dodocool.com/p-dc35b.html

And a popwoods one that’s a bit smaller and prettier. https://www.amazon.ca/POPWOODS-Portable-Adapter-Support-Delivery/dp/B076D6VHZL

Do you reckon these fuckers could make one with a cable longer than 10cm? The whole point as I saw it of this dongle life was to make things look pretty on my desk, and that’s hard when this deformed octopus box has to sit right next to my computer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think most users prefer having easily-accessible usb ports

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you reckon these fuckers could make one with a cable longer than 10cm? The whole point as I saw it of this dongle life was to make things look pretty on my desk, and that’s hard when this deformed octopus box has to sit right next to my computer

The whole point of dongle life was to reduce the cost of manufacturing while at the same time selling you crazy marked up dongles. I like Apple hardware too but don't kid yourself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Weedle posted:

zoom spun up the fans on my quad-core thinkpad from just running in the system tray lol
Hate Zoom so much. For my class I've ended up just running it on my Mac mini and using the MBA for the actual classwork stuff.

Granite Octopus posted:

Seems like all the cheapy ones are meant to be portable dongles. There's some desktop docks but they're pushing more towards $100 or more like so:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Dock-Laptop-Power-Delivery/dp/B07DNH2SHR/
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charging-Compatible-Thunderbolt-Chromebook/dp/B076HXWR9M/
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charging-Compatible-Thunderbolt-MacBooks/dp/B078J7FSWM/

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I picked up an HP Thunderbolt G2 dock on eBay. It was $150 new in box but they can be had for less. Real 40Gbps, dual monitor capable on macOS, and 100W charging. Oh and a very long cable. I’m very happy with it

Hekk posted:

Awesome! I just disabled Power Nap. I will see if that does the trick. I appreciate the assistance.

I’ve had the exact same issue. Very annoying. Did this problem start with 15.4?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I picked up an HP Thunderbolt G2 dock on eBay. It was $150 new in box but they can be had for less. Real 40Gbps, dual monitor capable on macOS, and 100W charging. Oh and a very long cable. I’m very happy with it

I’ve had the exact same issue. Very annoying. Did this problem start with 15.4?

It seems like it did. I disabled power nap and there have been no crashes in the last couple of days though. So at least there is a solution other than unplugging it from the dock when I walk away.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Got some new additions to the collection. Not bad for the cool cost of free.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:nice:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The jump from the light gray PowerBooks to the G3/Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo generation felt like a huge change of game in terms of how much business they meant.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My mom definitely had one of those PowerBook G3's back when I was elementary school. It was one of the few computing victories we had at home (dad kept Windows computers way too long at work and then brought them home for us). If I remember right it's got Chess in black and white on it.

Might have to see if I can get Slam Dunk Typing running now...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best part of those pre-G3 Powerbooks was how Apple spent a fortune to put their laptop in tons of movies like Mission Impossible but in the movie they used a fake OS so nobody really knew it was a Mac.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mu Zeta posted:

The best part of those pre-G3 Powerbooks was how Apple spent a fortune to put their laptop in tons of movies like Mission Impossible but in the movie they used a fake OS so nobody really knew it was a Mac.

The real nerds worked on Independence Day, since Jeff Goldblum's PowerBook was using the Aaron extension.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
If anyone wants a Wallstreet, I’d like to rehome mine for just the cost of shipping. It came with a 12" screen but I’ve replaced the top case with a 14". The CPUs been upgraded as well, from 233 to 300Mhz I think. I also have a logic board with more VRAM (4 MB?) that I never got around to putting in it. The case is in really good shape, no scratches in the rubber coating. I’ll dig it out if anyone is interested and take photos and figure out the specs, just PM me.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i often think about the old macs i'd like to have to mess with

imac g4, because obviously... apple nerds and really all people love to freak out about the design but i think i can articulate why. it harkens back to the frank lloyd wright idea -- new tech meant he could build different types of buildings. new technology with computers = different types of computers = screen on arm. even if i had one, it'd never be stuck in a closet. i'd keep it out just because from a design and aesthetic standpoint, it's truly a huge triumph. i'd really like one of the early ones, that still had the garamond instead of the myriad pro font, and keep it running jaguar -- pure aqua, but before the panther and tiger era brushed metal takeover.

a powermac3,5 would be nice. it's a g4 quicksilver, so graphite but not as old looking as the sawtooth model before it. the 3,5 in specific is really awesome because it can run 9.2.2, all the way up to 10.5.8.

i also like the old studio displays, with the big transparent feet.

the apple chic early 2000s workstation aesthetic loving murders me with how cool it continually is. i feel like maybe there was actually money in graphic design at that time.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I've been messing with a few recently acquired vintage Macs.

Both in excellent shape. My Wallstreet is the PDQ model.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I kinda think this is the time to retro-double down on Garamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Got some new additions to the collection. Not bad for the cool cost of free.

Looks to me like all that hanging around with delinquent podcast guests is leading you down a dangerous path...

(Nice. Although my kids' Flower Power is still mad at you.)