Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

If you can't carry it on your shoulder or back, loving check it and get the gently caress out of my way on the escalator.

(Honestly, it's checked bag fees that are to blame, but I'm definitely going to blame the fucker in front of me blocking the goddamned escalator steps)

Maybe you should just settle down and get to the airport a little earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

thankyou/fuckyou for posting this so that through related videos i wandered into the world of erotic chiropractic compilations

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In other news:

Let's not let celebrities have an opinion in public anymore. Or at least not the men.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

yeah, gently caress him for saying "It would take time, it would take a society to forgive them, and it would take tremendous contrition on their part, and a knowingness that they have a deeply rooted psychological and emotional problem and it takes years to mend that. If they were to show us that they put the work in and were truly sorry and making amends and not defending their actions but asking for forgiveness then maybe down the road there is room for that. Maybe so. Then it would be up to us to determine, case by case, whether or not this person deserves a second chance.”'

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah, gently caress him for saying "It would take time, it would take a society to forgive them, and it would take tremendous contrition on their part, and a knowingness that they have a deeply rooted psychological and emotional problem and it takes years to mend that. If they were to show us that they put the work in and were truly sorry and making amends and not defending their actions but asking for forgiveness then maybe down the road there is room for that. Maybe so. Then it would be up to us to determine, case by case, whether or not this person deserves a second chance.”'

This but unironically

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Yes gently caress him. A pair of millionaire rapist who now find themselves out of a job because of decades of remorseless predatory behavior are not the victims here. He's putting more importance on the emotional well being of the rapists instead of the loving victims.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I would be fine considering forgiving them if they, y'know, actually went to jail and had to serve their time. Also I don't think it's too much to ask that if you rape someone you don't get to be a rich powerful celebrity anymore. Like I think that's the least we can agree on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I would be fine considering forgiving them if they, y'know, actually went to jail and had to serve their time. Also I don't think it's too much to ask that if you rape someone you don't get to be a rich powerful celebrity anymore. Like I think that's the least we can agree on.

But Harvey Weinstein is probably sad now because he finally got caught for raping dozens of people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
And I'm sad that the people haven't risen and put him against the wall but we can't always get what we want

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Yes gently caress him. A pair of millionaire rapist who now find themselves out of a job because of decades of remorseless predatory behavior are not the victims here. He's putting more importance on the emotional well being of the rapists instead of the loving victims.

he was specifically asked "is there a way back for them, Bryan?" by the BBC interviewer. This was after he gave a couple of answers to questions where he said really obvious things like "it's a good thing that this is being exposed because it forces all of us to look at our past behavior and say 'hm maybe that was inappropriate'". Like I don't think "maybe after years or decades of looking back on what they did wrong and repenting and asking for forgiveness and fixing the problems wrong with them that the movie industry could take another look at them" is a super hot take.

I think the comments he made about Trump were dumb as gently caress, but this is like, whatever. It's not a case of some white guy who doesn't get it, or like a Paul Schrader "well but you should look at the work they do/did" thing, it's literally the ideal basis of how our criminal justice system should work, but applied to guys who may or may not actually make it to jail because they're rich and white, but will still probably be societal pariahs (deservedly so) for a very long time.

edit: like, i don't think it's going to happen because clearly Harvey Weinstein is going to die thinking he didn't do anything wrong because that's the type of person he is. but if someone actually accepts what they did wrong, does time both literally or metaphorically, and asks for forgiveness, I'm not gonna say "gently caress you" forever. The problem comes when you have guys like Weinstein or Allen or Polanski who don't really reckon with what they actually did, or brush it off.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 15, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

And I'm sad that the people haven't risen and put him against the wall but we can't always get what we want

I don't think these assholes should be torn limb from limb, but having to go away forever is pretty loving reasonable considering the severity of their actions.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I don't think these assholes should be torn limb from limb, but having to go away forever is pretty loving reasonable considering the severity of their actions.

Yeah, I agree. It just felt like the thing to say.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think it's time for a splendid auto da fe. With 4k broadcast you'll be able to really see the bloody flesh glisten and hear the crunch of bones and snap of sinew as Weinstein et al are ground to pieces on Hollywood Boulevard. Honestly, it'd be a great advertising opportunity, maybe it could be an annual thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think it's time for a splendid auto da fe. With 4k broadcast you'll be able to really see the bloody flesh glisten and hear the crunch of bones and snap of sinew as Weinstein et al are ground to pieces on Hollywood Boulevard. Honestly, it'd be a great advertising opportunity, maybe it could be an annual thing.

They could do it at the beginning of the Academy Awards Ceremony, that way those people could be included in the In Memoriam montage later.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It's not a case of some white guy who doesn't get it

I would argue that it is exactly that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

he was specifically asked "is there a way back for them, Bryan?" by the BBC interviewer. This was after he gave a couple of answers to questions where he said really obvious things like "it's a good thing that this is being exposed because it forces all of us to look at our past behavior and say 'hm maybe that was inappropriate'". Like I don't think "maybe after years or decades of looking back on what they did wrong and repenting and asking for forgiveness and fixing the problems wrong with them that the movie industry could take another look at them" is a super hot take.

I think the comments he made about Trump were dumb as gently caress, but this is like, whatever. It's not a case of some white guy who doesn't get it, or like a Paul Schrader "well but you should look at the work they do/did" thing, it's literally the ideal basis of how our criminal justice system should work, but applied to guys who may or may not actually make it to jail because they're rich and white, but will still probably be societal pariahs (deservedly so) for a very long time.

edit: like, i don't think it's going to happen because clearly Harvey Weinstein is going to die thinking he didn't do anything wrong because that's the type of person he is. but if someone actually accepts what they did wrong, does time both literally or metaphorically, and asks for forgiveness, I'm not gonna say "gently caress you" forever. The problem comes when you have guys like Weinstein or Allen or Polanski who don't really reckon with what they actually did, or brush it off.

When your victims number well into the double digits I'd take a wild guess and say that there's a distinct lack of remorse going on here. I'm all about a criminal justice system based on rehabilitation, but there are some people who are clearly beyond redemption. We're not talking about someone who robbed a liquor store to feed his family.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If you don't allow room for forgiveness, you only drive someone further into the pits of evil. There are people out there who are sitting in jail who have done awful, heinous things, who over the course of decades sitting in prison have gained a perspective on their actions that should allow for forgiveness and could probably be allowed back into society with no harm (or even some positive benefit!). I think the same opportunity should be give to any of these men if they want to actually reckon with what they've done and accept punishment for it.

Saying that also doesn't mean that I don't think Hollywood needs to drastically change how it works, and that society as a whole needs to be able to deal with victims and help them to recover and not shun them or drive them away. We can say that, and make sure that any and all victims who come out have their stories heard and respond to them with the proper amount of action, but still not slam the door shut and say "gently caress you forever," even if the severity of their actions makes that sound like a reasonable idea.

edit: to be clear, Harvey Weinstein should almost certainly be locked up for a long time even based off of only what we've heard publicly (I'm sure for every woman who has come out and said he did something to them there is at least one other who is still silent).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What would Harvey Weinstein getting driven further into the pits of evil even look like

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What would Harvey Weinstein getting driven further into the pits of evil even look like

An additional 60 victims?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Even with me being a grumpy post-divorce 34-year-old, I just enjoyed the heck out of seven hours of Magic Kingdom Christmas.

I go in with this edge, "meh, capitalism" attitude and drat if I didn't have fun. Even better that I got to go on pretty much every ride.

(Also, it owns that they still have Oswald merch)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean, in terms of actual tangible results probably not much, since now even if he doesn't go to jail every single eye will be on him if he's within 10 feet of a woman, but mentally it would just reinforce the ideas that led him to believe he was allowed to do those things in the first place. it's very possible that will happen anyways because he seems like the type who doesn't really go for "learning from mistakes", but if there were some sort of magical moment of eye-opening realization, turning away at that point would be negative reinforcement.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean, in terms of actual tangible results probably not much, since now even if he doesn't go to jail every single eye will be on him if he's within 10 feet of a woman, but mentally it would just reinforce the ideas that led him to believe he was allowed to do those things in the first place. it's very possible that will happen anyways because he seems like the type who doesn't really go for "learning from mistakes", but if there were some sort of magical moment of eye-opening realization, turning away at that point would be negative reinforcement.

This all seems very academic considering he immediately fled the country when the heat got turned up.

Anyway yeah I'm pretty comfortable saying "gently caress you forever" to a rich & powerful dude who raped and intimidated a bunch of people over a period of like thirty years. I ain't gotta forgive poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I say good riddance, considering how toxic it appeared to be behind the scenes. That said, all the cinema events drifting east into downtown is really inconvenient!

I guess I'll just go to the New Beverly more, until Quentin Tarantino blows up or something

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

They could do it at the beginning of the Academy Awards Ceremony, that way those people could be included in the In Memoriam montage later.

ahahaha

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife and I were just debating whether Harvey would be prosecuted or even serve time. I say yes: so many accusers and yes so high-profile that an ambitious prosecutor will gun for him. She says no: too easy to defend sexual assault and rape charges, throw doubt in victim testimony, etc. I get her general point but don't think it'll apply here.

Travel by train is so much more civilised than plane.

In London on the Underground its mandated that one side of the escalator is for standing and one is for walking. Locals get annoyed every now and again with stupid tourists who don't realise that everyone is standing on the right while they gormlessly stand on the left, until an angry commuter loudly says "Excuse me!" and glares at them.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/2418384/the-most-annoying-things-tourists-do-on-the-london-underground-and-walking-too-slowly-is-up-there/

quote:

Standing on the wrong side of the escalator

To visitors, the Tube may be a novelty but for Londoners it's a quick way to get around the city.

It's a VERY clear rule that you should always stand single file on the right of the escalators, which means that other people can dash up the left hand side if they need to.

Standing side-by-side is just madness, and a clear pet hate of Londoners.

Irmani Smallwood said: "When using the tube, please obey the stand on the left signs, otherwise you will upset commuters and people trying to get from A to B.

"We know you are having a lovely time discovering our fabulous city, please don't make it harder for locals to make it all work. A missed tube can really screw up a schedule."

RAIL-LY BAD Is your daily commute the worst in the country? These are the top 13 most delayed train routes in the UK

Posted Henry Watson added: "I think many tourists see it as a rule that no one really pays attention to and they’re not harming anyone by standing on the left, but if you want to make a Londoner angry, that’s certainly one way to go about it – not to mention the fact that you’re slowing down the people who think they’re important (and fit) enough to walk up or down the stairs."

Lastly, bags with wheels are a great invention.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah it's basically an unspoken agreement in Vancouver that the right hand side of the escalator is for standing, the left for walking. The only time it ever really fucks up is when there's super heavy foot traffic on or off the Skytrain at the busier stations. Airport's never been too bad, when I've flown during holiday rush.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

esperterra posted:

Yeah it's basically an unspoken agreement in Vancouver that the right hand side of the escalator is for standing, the left for walking. The only time it ever really fucks up is when there's super heavy foot traffic on or off the Skytrain at the busier stations. Airport's never been too bad, when I've flown during holiday rush.

On public transport here it's not even unspoken, it's explicit. And then people get well trained to do the same elsewhere. Aces!

They experimented with standing-only escalators at one station on the basis that they are more efficient and people mutinied.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

therattle posted:

Lastly, bags with wheels are a great invention.

Living in Hong Kong, these are the loving worst due to all the mainlanders coming down here to buy poo poo to take back home. Streets are narrow enough as it is without a bunch of ignorant bitches lugging around suitcases behind them, not giving a gently caress who they hit with it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok what are essential Tangerine Dream albums? Amazon has an overwhelming amount to stream.

I'm not a connoisseur, but I really like Dream Sequence and Quantum Gate (which come out this year). This being CineD I should probably recommended one of their many soundtracks, but I haven't delved into those yet (outside of Grand Theft Auto V, lol).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lady Galaga posted:

Living in Hong Kong, these are the loving worst due to all the mainlanders coming down here to buy poo poo to take back home. Streets are narrow enough as it is without a bunch of ignorant bitches lugging around suitcases behind them, not giving a gently caress who they hit with it.

The problem isn't the bags; it's the people. They'd be as bad with bulky suitcases or handcarts.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The escalator discussion unironically fascinates me, because it highlights how easy it is to get trapped in your own cultural bubble. Until now, I always thought "stand on the right, walk on the left" was an universal doctrine, but apparently that varies by country.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
my escape to North Korea was foiled, but i know what i must do now to succeed and next time i will not fail

Also, any good recs for Korean War books? Introductory history?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

my escape to North Korea was foiled, but i know what i must do now to succeed and next time i will not fail

This is the classic Korean War history.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Kind-War-Fiftieth-Anniversary/dp/1574883348

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This should be saved for next month but w/e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccONYE53Z3U

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Five minutes into Ground Zeroes and what the gently caress why is Big Boss voices by Kiefer Sutherland now this is bullshit

I don't mind Kiefer's take, but they seriously should have saved the voice change for Phantom Pain. Even if Hayter is kind of ridiculous it's not like GZ is that long or he even talks that much in it so it just doesn't seem worth the discontinuity. And of course it would have made perfect (Kojima) sense given the twist. Even better if they got Hayter to voice that last tape.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've changed my mind, Cloud Atlas is a legitimate masterpiece

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love cloud atlas.

I think that the future-asian makeup is a flawed execution.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Snak posted:

I love cloud atlas.

I think that the future-asian makeup is a flawed execution.
What would have been a better way of painting Jim Sturgess to look East Asian?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I also love Cloud Atlas but things like that and "My uncle was a scientist but he believed love is real" is some dumb bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm in the middle of this one right now, and I'd say it's a great introductory read so far. It's not a conventional military history of the war but more of a series of essays about it and its context historically, as well as refuting the American myths about the war.

https://www.amazon.com/Korean-War-History-Library-Chronicles/dp/081297896X/

• Locked thread