Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

i haven't gotten to clean them out yet but i fully expect there to be a "what boots? i don't know what you're talking about" option when i wear them

He never comments on them unless you go "hey. Hey kim. Kim. You see what I'm wearing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did Disco’s controller support ever get not terrible? I tried it a whale ago before all the voice acting and it was rough. Seems like it would be great for remote play if they shored it up.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Push El Burrito posted:

Disco Elysium rules. My first play through I tried to punch a child, missed, and died from the humiliation.

Based upon the recommendation I downloaded this today and got 10 min in before I got skeeved out when the main character had the option to say “I want to make gently caress with you” to some random woman outside his apartment. This is like “cringe, the game”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Warbird posted:

Did Disco’s controller support ever get not terrible? I tried it a whale ago before all the voice acting and it was rough. Seems like it would be great for remote play if they shored it up.

Unless I'm missing something no it's real bad. I seem to have to select what I want to interact with by spinning the right stick until it finally selects what I want to click on

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Frank Frank posted:

Based upon the recommendation I downloaded this today and got 10 min in before I got skeeved out when the main character had the option to say “I want to make gently caress with you” to some random woman outside his apartment. This is like “cringe, the game”

You can become a fascist if you want to, it's not like you have to pick the options you dislike.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Frank Frank posted:

the player character has the option to be a terrible person, and at the base level is an alcoholic cop who hosed himself up so hard that he has complete and total memory loss. you never have to choose to be a terrible person, so don't worry too hard about cringing at yourself for reading something you dislike

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Disco Elysium gives you the option to be a complete horrible piece of poo poo in the way pretty much no other games do. You get to choose to live as a violent fascist sexist abusive shithead or as a sensitive and empathetic communist feminist cop helping to start a revolution against the neoliberal world order.

It rules.

tired gay and dead has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 30, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

You can only get that option by choosing to chat up some random woman and failing the skill check for it. If you succeeded then you'd be able to say something not cringe but still not get laid

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Qwertycoatl posted:

You can only get that option by choosing to chat up some random woman and failing the skill check for it. If you succeeded then you'd be able to say something not cringe but still not get laid

You can also react in complete horror and existential angst and dread when she tells you you're a cop. It's not really a spoiler because it occurs like two minutes into any play-through.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

OPAONI posted:

You can also react in complete horror and existential angst and dread when she tells you you're a cop. It's not really a spoiler because it occurs like two minutes into any play-through.

I spent a solid 10 minutes attempting not to wake up at all and embracing death (I failed)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Finished Elden Ring and replaying Ghost of Tsushima its made me really appreciate collecting resources on horseback a lot

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think Disco Elysium does some interesting things with the characters relationship with women, even after you've woken up with a completely blank memory. At your core you're still The Most Divorced Man In The World and the weird distrust of women in a certain way is pretty much inescapable for the character you play as even if you become a straight up feminist because his mind is so busted from what happened before the game started.

And by the end of the game you can start to move past it or keep on loving yourself up over it or straight up kill yourself and they all work pretty well as a believable narrative for the guy. I think it's a cool way to write a player character.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Disco Elysium is one of the best games of all time and it was incredible reading all the games journalists telling on themselves when they got mad at the game for making them play as a racist sexist because they kept picking all the racist sexist choices

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Frank Frank posted:

Shouldn't have said that then. It's a game where you can be an absolute trash human being but also have an existential breakdown about what you've become and how you got there, reaching emotional lows as you ponder the sort of life you've led and the actions you have taken, especially when it comes to <Borat voice, but like sad> your wife . It's probably the best-written video game yet (which isn't a terribly high bar to clear but still), and it achieves that goal with narrative interaction beyond just watching cutscene after cutscene.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko is the best written game. And it's not close

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

But I don’t want to have narrative depth, I want to be the goodest boy who picks the good person option that gives me better rewards and also makes everyone like me and fixes everyone’s problems

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kit Walker posted:

But I don’t want to have narrative depth, I want to be the goodest boy who picks the good person option that gives me better rewards and also makes everyone like me and fixes everyone’s problems

Whilst still valid, this isn't really possible in Disco.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah there's a "Boring Cop" playthrough too

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Writing a visual novel is kinda different from writing a character RPG imo. Maybe the writing in Umineko is better (I haven't read it), but I feel like comparing the writing in a linear and unchanging story to the writing in an interactive RPG isn't really fair. It's like saying that The Left Hand of Darkness has better writing than Morrowind. It's technically undeniably true, but I dunno if it's a fair comparison.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one of the funniest things to do in DE is to attempt to be a centrist and get absolutely clowned on for never having a strong opinion

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
The game specifically tells you in loading screens that as a "person of power" (aka a cop) you are under no obligation to be boring and play it safe, and that you should pick interesting options to have a more interesting time with the game.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I liked that there was a guy who was so rich that light bent around him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tired gay and dead posted:

Writing a visual novel is kinda different from writing a character RPG imo. Maybe the writing in Umineko is better (I haven't read it), but I feel like comparing the writing in a linear and unchanging story to the writing in an interactive RPG isn't really fair. It's like saying that The Left Hand of Darkness has better writing than Morrowind. It's technically undeniably true, but I dunno if it's a fair comparison.

Comparing Left Hand in Morrowind is actually pretty interesting. I actually think that Morrowind might come out on top in terms of the pure anthropology of it all.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Haha okay maybe there's an argument that could be made for that but so much of Morrowind's story comes from the players presence in the environment and the way they can interact with people directly and observe the way that people in different parts of the province think of themselves and the world around them. Compared to a book that is entirely comprised of a few hundred pages of first person narrative between two characters with some cultural storytelling interspersed throughout it's just such a different narrative experience that it feels like wrong to say that one is straight up better written than the other

Ursula LeGuin pretty much can't be beaten in the prose department, and nothing in Morrowind approaches the poetic and descriptive language in her writing, but Morrowind gets to work with 26 square kilometres of 3d environment rather than just words on a page. Also it takes like a few hours to get through Left Hand of Darkness, but it takes dozens of hours to get everything out of Morrowind.

e: can someone please make a triple A game as good as Morrowind, it's been like twenty friggin years here

tired gay and dead has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Apr 30, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm apparently on a Remedy binge, I'm now on to their black sheep Quantum Break (which I actually remember liking quite a bit). It's nice to see the Alan Wake references all over the place.
There's a chalkboard you run into early on with a whole bunch of scribbled theorizing about the themes and concepts of that game, but I don't think I'd noticed there was a straight-up lead in to Control before, referencing This House of Dreams and wondering what AWE could mean - Alan Wake Experience? Altered World Events? :thunk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Getting Kim to dance and then dancing so hard you transcend space & time in Disco is my favourite little thing in games

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/TheTimoAlbert/status/1316730169726578690?s=19

this is not part of DE proper but it could be (and is by one of the devs)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

el oso posted:

Getting Kim to dance and then dancing so hard you transcend space & time in Disco is my favourite little thing in games

If this is the same skill check i failed because I had a thought enabled that failed red checks, you can also be extremely racist to your partner and it is emotionally devastating if you're invested in the characters.

DE is an A+ game. If you dig in its fields and only find revulsion or disappointment, you're a moralist

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
disco elysium is the one where your partner looks like a yellow peril stereotype dredged out of the darkest corners of a 1940s political cartoonist's imagination, right

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

I spent a solid 10 minutes attempting not to wake up at all and embracing death (I failed)

- Me, each day when I have to work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1519102991478837249?t=GNb015koXZRRyRh4Vh1VKw&s=19

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1520603455227785216?t=khphQRFNAlRAWlO3Kyjcog&s=19

Just the worst cop

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

moonmazed posted:

disco elysium is the one where your partner looks like a yellow peril stereotype dredged out of the darkest corners of a 1940s political cartoonist's imagination, right

Lol what the gently caress

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

https://twitter.com/TheTimoAlbert/status/1316730169726578690?s=19

this is not part of DE proper but it could be (and is by one of the devs)

Goddamn thank you for this, led me to this one too
https://twitter.com/i/status/1454914334581305345

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

moonmazed posted:

I was about to have a bad Disco Elysium take, but I'm pretty sure this one is worse, so thank you for pre-empting me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moonmazed posted:

My eyes are poo poo, because the picture is so small and shaded, he looks like a combination of Set Roth from those Wolfenstein games that never finished the story

And the guy in Preacher who doesn't have a chin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

moonmazed posted:

What political cartoons are you looking at?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

moonmazed posted:

no you're thinking of a different game

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

haveblue posted:

What political cartoons are you looking at?

I think he's seeing an Asian person in round glasses and immediately mentally superimposing Mickey Rooney from breakfast at Tiffany's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My favorite thing about Disco Elysium is how it tells so much about the people playing it by their reaction to it :allears: