Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Brrrmph posted:

pinball owns. there’s a place nearby that is pinball and billiards. it had probably 20 machines. no bar, no food - just the games. somehow they make it on that.

big fan of balls over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Manzoon posted:

Lordy I had no idea they were throwing these things up at military bases. I thought you meant government subsidized housing when you said "uncle sam".

This all started with the "tent cities" of wars like WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and finally Desert Storm. In each of those wars, tents were viable because they were quick and small to ship, and easy to setup, tear down, and relocate as necessary depending on how the shape of the battlefield lines changed. What changed the most in Afghanistan and Iraq2 is the need for longevity. In the first Gulf War we were in and out of there in nine months so Shelter-System tents were a totally workable solution: roll in, set up your base, grid out your living, sanitary, eating, and working areas, throw up your tents, power the grids with generators, plumb your drinking and waste, and you're good to go. Each "Alaska" style shelter-system tent could house about 8-10 troops comfortably, and 16-20 for very short-terms.

Tent city at Da Nang Airbase during the Vietnam war using USGI style tents

Tent city at Ali Al-Salem Airfield during Operation Desert Shield using USGI style tents, note the HVAC unit on each tent

Tent city at Basrah Airport during Operation Iraqi Freedom using "Alaska" style insulated tents

We tried to do the same thing with Afghanistan and then Iraq, and what we learned is that the tent system works great. For about 18 months. That's about the hard-use limit of those tents, no matter what the manufacturers state, they just wear out too quickly. The government scratched it's head and tried to come up with some solutions. The first of these were "B-Huts" or "Barracks Huts", ~16' wide by 40' long, dating all the way back to the 1800's, and constructed out of 2x4's and plywood, a crew of CE troops can put one up in about 8-12 hours. They each can house up to 36 troops, but the typical use case was 12-16. They made entire cities of these to house thousands of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. They aren't without their own problems though; they are poorly insulated, flammable, you can hear ANYTHING that's happening inside or out of them from snoring to farting to people having fun with themselves, and they are prone to pests, snakes, and dust/dirt ingress. One of the good things about them though is the customizability of them. As they are built, they are left as one big room inside, and one of the first things the residents do is build walls to separate them into cubicle-style rooms, that way the overhead cooling is still efficient but you have some modicum of privacy. Each cubicle "room" would have an outlet, and later ethernet, and eventually wifi as the need for personal communication grew. In the early days you could only get email/internet at the designated morale tents, but later you could personally purchase access, and eventually by 2010 or so, uncle sam started offering free internet, though it was slow, locked down, and prone to blackouts. Typically you would have 14-20 B-Huts each with 1 or 2 blue porta-johns next to them (mostly so lazy GI's didn't piss on the sides of buildings at night), surrounding a "town square" in the center with either a generator or a dedicated power hookup, a "Water Buffalo" tanker trailer or a dedicated water hookup, a group of emergency bunkers for shelling/bombing, and a "Cadillac" shower trailer with 10-20 showers and 10-20 toilets. Roughly 10 of these "towns" would constitute a "city", and if you were trying to give someone directions, you could tell someone where they needed to go all the way down to the individual B-Hut.

B-Huts in Bagram Airbase Afghanistan

Shower trailer similar to the "Cadillac" trailers used by the DoD in the B-Hut villages

Interior view of shower trailer similar to those in use in Afghanistan/Iraq during OEF/OIF

The "B-Hut" system works great as well. For about 6 years. That's about the hard-use limit of the huts and the Cadillac poo poo and shower trailers. When you've had hundreds or possibly even thousands of troops cycle in and out of a single town, things just wear out. The government scratched their heads again, "we were only supposed to be doing this for a couple years right?" and again tried to come up with a solution. They realized they needed something with the modularity of tents where they could ship them in en-masse, with the longevity of B-Huts, and to add to all of it, they wanted something that had more efficiency for heating cooling and electrical consumption. The also wanted something not as vulnerable to small arms and indirect attacks as the soft tents, and nearly-as-soft B-huts. Add to all of this, they realized they had a very easy time of things with regards to room to stretch their legs in the initial days of OEF and OIF; they had been able to go in and fence off thousands of acres and just say "this is now a coalition base". They realized most likely in future conflicts they would not be able to continue this practice, and would be limited in the area they could use, and would have to house people more efficiently. This base "sprawl" was not only extremely inefficient in regards to heating, cooling, water and energy use, it was also inefficient for feeding, cleaning, and working in. I knew guys that would drop to showering every 2-3 days if the cadillac trailer in their square was busted and they didn't feel like hiking to the next square every morning. I personally would skip breakfast pretty much every day in favor of protein/breakfast bars because the nearest dining facility was a 10 minute walk away.

The big brains finally came up with the modular shipping container housing I posted earlier. Called CHU's or CLU's (Containerized Housing/Living Units), they could not only be built at home, sealed up, and lay ready to be used as needed, they could also be stacked by the thousands onto a container ship or rail system and transported nearly anywhere. Once they arrived at their destination, no longer was the housing area bound by how many acres you had available, now they could stack them as high as they felt comfortable. You could place semi-permanent sanitary/shower/laundry facilities in front of each block and remove the need for cadillac trailers altogether. Some now even contain their own bathrooms, albeit without showers. Most of the ones I've seen have been 20-40 foot units set up in two to three story blocks, with each unit entered from the outside, but they are even experimenting now with 10-foot single-occupancy containers that have a hallway between two rows, set three units high.

Most bases now have internet of some form or another, the free options being locked down and extremely slow due to the infrastructure being crap and the pipes being overcrowded, and the pay options being significantly better but costing from $ to $$$. In 2008 a group of 4 us went in on a 1mb connection for $100/mo, the group previous to us had had it wired in somehow. In 2012 I managed to get a 2mb 20GB capped connection from the Brits that used microwave(?) towers scattered around Camp Bastion/Leatherneck and you rented a receiver for $120/mo. This beat the hell out of trying to use the "free" internet which was a mess because the base designed for 8000 troops had 18-20,000 troops on it at any given time due it being the last port of call for anyone leaving the country due to the drawdown. When I was at Ali Al-Salem in 2016 there was decent free internet provided, but due to it being an ostensibly islamic-country-owned base, it was highly censored with regards to indecency of any kind. While there I bought a pocket battery operated wifi router with a SIM slot for $50, and got a 4GLTE SIM data-only plan for $20 a month for the first 50GB and then $5/10GB over that.

All in all, CLU's/CHU's suck to live in, are cramped and mildly uncomfortable, but they are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than any of the previous alternatives.

A large block of CLU's at Camp Lemmonier Djibouti

New single occupancy unit block design

Sorry if this ran a little long, I just got to writing about my experiences in government supplied housing in austere locations, and here we are.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 20, 2024

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
thanks for breaking all that down for us spookykid

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

spookykid posted:

Sorry if this ran a little long, I just got to writing about my experiences in government supplied housing in austere locations, and here we are.

Nah, it makes sense in that context. If you plan on moving them or have limited to no local construction, a container housing set-up like that makes a lot more sense. The cost analysis doesn't really fly if they are supposed to be permanent housing. The stuff that I've designed is only holding oil-water separators and wash equipment with pump skids. We have a few at some mining operations North of the Arctic Circle and in tropical areas, the heating and ventilation considerations are wildly different and I wouldn't want to live in one that's for sure.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Kenny Logins posted:

thanks for breaking all that down for us spookykid

I just thought it would be a fun look into a slice of life that most people have no idea how it works, but you talk to any military member about "tent cities"/B-huts/"cadillacs"/CLU's/chowhalls/etc and they know exactly what you're talking about.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that’s a cool as hell post thank you

i enjoy that the mobile showers are the EXACT same showers that they deploy at music festivals now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fucken great post hell yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

big fan of b-huts over here

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
many years ago they recruited in my class at the academy for the firms that were bidding on designing those. they had groups of us design container housing for “disaster relief”

What you see in your second to last photos is remarkably similar to the reefer racks used more modern us terminals.

Above is the reefer stacks at Garden City Terminal in GPA.

In general converted containers are a pain in the rear end. Once one modifies the can the CSC plate is invalid, then it ceases to be a container and becomes cargo that has to go on a flat rack. Unless they go through the process of getting the design approved by a classification society but that never happens for smaller projects like containers turned into labs.

But the military doesn’t have to worry about that. I hadn’t realized they’d turned it into a full
on modular system.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

PokeJoe posted:

They had their advantages, despite being shacks built out of sticks in the middle of the desert. One of the biggest ones was that once they were built, as long as they weren't catching fire, housing a colony of mutant rats, or being an active bordello, (all of these things are things that happened including the whoring) the higher-ups basically washed their hands of them. That meant that all you had to do was go down to the "self help" materials yard, get a pile of lumber and borrow tools, and you could customize it as much as you wanted. Most that I saw had 6.5-7' walls cubicle-style with wood or curtain doors and open ceilings, but I saw ones done up into individual rooms, each with their own light switch, window, vent for AC, etc. In ours in 2008, we took the wiring for the ethernet drop that the previous occupants had, and we snagged a spool of CAT5, a patch panel, and all the wall panels from the COM guys, and a router+switch from newegg, and wired ethernet drops to all the "rooms".

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

so you’re a b-hut head

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Jonny 290 posted:

fucken great post hell yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kenny Logins posted:

bsky isn’t great for videos and gifs currently

oh right I thought it was like...a bad thing

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"well well well" said Mytar, "who's mocking who now?"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Buttpocalypse

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

PokeJoe posted:

big fan of balls over here

text me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder how many well-known companies there are in the world where people who don't understand the language of wherever they're from don't know the name and/or brand just means the thing.

Like Konecranes is a former brand or subsidiary of Kone, which means "machine". Abloy is/was short for Ltd. Lock Ltd.

I think Alko is pretty self-explanatory tho.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Abloy is/was short for Ltd. Lock Ltd.

This sounded weird enough that I had to go look it up.

Wikipedia posted:

The name Abloy comes from a contraction of the Swedish Finnish bilingual name Ab Låsfabriken Lukkotehdas Oy, meaning literally Corp. Lock Factory Lock Factory Corp.

What a silly name.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unfortunately I think this is fake. I'd love a Hotdog Stand -theme coffee machine:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the red is a standard color, they probably just painted or 3d printed the yellow plastic parts

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

PokeJoe posted:

♫ i like b-huts and i cannot lie ♫

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
a wheezy steampunk av draws near…!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the crying liberty paperbagging it feels like a new level for kelly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol @ lady lib around the corner

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like everything about that!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

this place sounds cool as hell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I love food museum shark

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

haveblue posted:

I love food museum shark

everyone loves food museum shark

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

rotor posted:

everyone loves food museum shark

we regret to inform you that food museum shark is racist

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i hate that bartender, at all the bars ive met him at