Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007

massive spider posted:

I made something using a bitcrusher effect. it is MEAN and DOESNT LIKE YOU

https://soundcloud.com/hugespiders/grace/s-wAj5HmW0Kxu

I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nishi koichi posted:

:sigh: man i don’t care much about guitar anymore, it’s getting to me. i guess music in general feels grey and exhausting to even think about, these past few weeks/months.

get a synthesizer

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The kind that makes fart sounds.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Take care of yourself and do what you need to feel better. I hope you feel better.

thanks man

Ok Comboomer posted:

get a synthesizer

i have a few, and i just got an mpc a while back. as much as i wish new gear could solve my problem, it won’t :/

depression is a b. like, ordinarily i’ll just switch instruments; guitar/bass/synth/drums/whatever, but i can’t make myself care about any of it right now.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 5, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i got an MPC One back at the New Year but i've been pretty depressed too and not touching either enough. actually the MPC really has made me think differently about music, perhaps turned me away from my guitar in some respects. definitely invested hours in just getting to know the thing since ive never had a synth/drum machine as robust as that.

then i was listening to a good deal of Blood Orange who seems to be a guitar player closest to the "cutting edge" of popular music. its synth/beat driven music and then has his jangly guitar style that warms everything up. trying to understand the guitars place in the world

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

i got an MPC One back at the New Year but i've been pretty depressed too and not touching either enough. actually the MPC really has made me think differently about music, perhaps turned me away from my guitar in some respects. definitely invested hours in just getting to know the thing since ive never had a synth/drum machine as robust as that.

then i was listening to a good deal of Blood Orange who seems to be a guitar player closest to the "cutting edge" of popular music. its synth/beat driven music and then has his jangly guitar style that warms everything up. trying to understand the guitars place in the world

it’s an incredibly powerful system, i’m trying to integrate it into my workflow, too. there are so many ins and outs and cool stuff to do with it, that i found myself messing with it more than getting down to business and making songs. there’s always that period of discovery and experimentation with a new thing, i guess.

i like that integration of electronic and a warmer guitar/bass, like you said. post-punk is a good starting point for me, so i lay down a cool beat using some dmx or linndrum etc samples and have that going over speakers while i run over to the guitar/bass. at some point i will buy the mpc bible

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Re-glued the neck and cleaned it up.

It's pretty nice for what it is.
It's got a more electric type neck instead of a standard acoustic neck profile. Slimmer, more radiused strat headstock etc...

The thing with cheap acoustics that always looks bad to me is the bridges are always really rough looking like they came straight out the CNC machine and get glued on. I spent a little time buffing it out with some micro mesh pads and put a couple of thin coats of tru-oil and buffed it out. It makes it look like a more expensive instrument.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 5, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

dude i’m so envious that you keep finding all this cool stuff in the trash

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'd love some outside feedback on something.

I continue to be poo poo at guitar, but I am less poo poo than previously. So my instructor is upping the difficulty and having me pick much more precisely. Now previously I just picked strings in whichever direction was most comfortable. He is working on having all notes on the beat as down picks and all the "and" beats be up picks. I'm not sure what to make of it. If this is actually standard then I guess I'll just power through.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Travic posted:

I'd love some outside feedback on something.

I continue to be poo poo at guitar, but I am less poo poo than previously. So my instructor is upping the difficulty and having me pick much more precisely. Now previously I just picked strings in whichever direction was most comfortable. He is working on having all notes on the beat as down picks and all the "and" beats be up picks. I'm not sure what to make of it. If this is actually standard then I guess I'll just power through.

It's a good practice for when you're just starting out and are trying to build up coordination on your picking hand. There's some more advanced stuff to work on once you get used to that where you can economize your hand motion but that will take a while to get even close to thinking about that

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm incredibly tempted to do the same at my local guitar centers but I'm worried about getting popped for trespassing

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man
Does anyone have case recommendations for a Breedlove concertina-sized guitar? I'm new to this acoustic thing and find the names for the body sizes hopelessly confusing. I think the concertina is roughly analogous to a Martin 00 but slightly larger, or a Taylor grand concert but slightly smaller. I assume anything in that approximate size works as long as it has enough padding to squish to fit?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I assume he just wants you to think more about alternating your picking and to think about down-beats versus up-beats.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. I'll keep hacking away at it. We're working on Lie in Our Graves by The Dave Matthews Band. I can play the whole thing we're just going back through correcting all the picking.

I have a hell of a time identifying on and off beats. Do you have any tips?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

In a boring old rock beat the kick hits on the one and the three, and the snare goes on the two and the four.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Well I'm hopping on the Katana train, since I spotted a Mini for $80 bucks on CL, and I'd like to avoid lugging a 30 watt to my students' lessons. He threw in a SD-1 for $20 too so my gear lust is sated again, for the time being. Along with my GT-1 I'll have a full battery operated portable rig.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Boss SD-1 > TS

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Boss SD-1 > TS

no way*

*i have a keeley TS so maybe

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Travic posted:

Ok. I'll keep hacking away at it. We're working on Lie in Our Graves by The Dave Matthews Band. I can play the whole thing we're just going back through correcting all the picking.

If a metronome is going then the on beats are the ones the metronome is pulsing on. The offbeats are the implied "and" between the notes.

One-and-Two-and-Three-and-Four

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Boss SD-1 > TS

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
BD-2 > All

Are there any must have drive sounds I'm not getting generics of in my Katana? I already have a Klone.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

massive spider posted:

If a metronome is going then the on beats are the ones the metronome is pulsing on. The offbeats are the implied "and" between the notes.

One-and-Two-and-Three-and-Four

Thanks. I'll try a metronome. Maybe I should practice on slower songs because I try more complex songs with rests and varying note lengths and my brain just goes :psyboom:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Slow practice is the solution to 99% of all music learning problems. Slow down everything until you can put the right stuff in the right place

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

BD-2 > All

Are there any must have drive sounds I'm not getting generics of in my Katana? I already have a Klone.

you should buy a really expensive dumble clone and spam tgp with pics

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

you should buy a really expensive dumble clone and spam tgp with pics

Just gonna sell my house and grab one of the two dumbles on reverb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of Dumble, I read some stuff from “the other Dumble,” Ken Fischer of Trainwreck Amplifiers, who said with complete seriousness that different colors of wire insulation imparted different tonal qualities and that there is a tonally-superior “direction” for current to flow. Maybe this is in the wrong thread.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Speaking of Dumble, I read some stuff from “the other Dumble,” Ken Fischer of Trainwreck Amplifiers, who said with complete seriousness that different colors of wire insulation imparted different tonal qualities and that there is a tonally-superior “direction” for current to flow. Maybe this is in the wrong thread.

I'm honestly surprised I havent seen a bigger crossover in guitar gear and insane home stereo woo. They're obviously out there but I havent seen any $600 wooden knobs to keep your instrument cables from touching the floor.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I have a Joyo Taichi that sounds great and unlike any of my other drives - granted, those are all Boss emulations of physical pedals, but still - they're cheap and quite cool. It's a good pedal if you want driven chords without losing clarity.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Travic posted:

Thanks. I'll try a metronome. Maybe I should practice on slower songs because I try more complex songs with rests and varying note lengths and my brain just goes :psyboom:

If you can't play a song slower you can't play a song faster. Just go as slow as what works for you

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm thinking about taking some guitar lessons because I'm still wildly confused about a ton of things(which I have another metronome question that's related to my last one, but with a clearer example however it'll take some effort posting which I'll do sometime later when I feel like it). My job schedule is hectic though, I generally work 10 hour days, and only get a 3 day weekend, every other weekend. So basically 11 on, then 3 off. Would taking 1 guitar lesson every 2 weeks even be productive? I would assume so, especially considering I'm not new and pretty much understand all the basics, I just need some help/advice on how to practice/what to work on/some theory stuff/etc. Also what's a fair price to pay and how does one go about finding a decent teacher? The people at my local family owned guitar shop are pretty nice, but I'm not sure how good they are and how familiar they are with stuff I want to play(metal). I could always just do a few lessons and see how it goes and move on if need be.

e: Oh yeah, update on my 300 dollar Dinky, it's generally an okay guitar but there's something wrong with it that really annoys me. The floyd bridge isn't centered, so my low e string is right on the very edge of the fret, and the high e string has a ton of space between it and the edge and it's really annoying.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 5, 2021

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I can't tell you about pricing etc but for guitar lessons you're not actually learning in the lesson itself, you're only going to be shown new concepts and have your mistakes pointed out. The learning happens when you practice between the lessons.

So I'd say if you think you can get the practice in, a lesson every other week is fine.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Once every other week will be great for an adult so long as you practice in between. Kids take weekly because for a lot of them it's the only time they actually play.

As a reference, my wife charges $65 per hour for piano and most students do 30 or 45 minutes. When I was taking guitar before Covid, I was paying $75 and taking the full hour every 3 weeks or so.

I'm sure pricing is fairly regional, but we are probably not too far north of average.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Phil McKnight recently posted this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEIY8x9gctE about an Ibanez S series guitar.

I was looking into the S series and looks like the S Standard has a larger body than what's in the video. Is the larger body only on the Standard or does the Prestige, Axion, and Premium all have the thinner body?

I have an S571 from like 2013 and it doesn’t look any bigger or smaller than mine.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

duodenum posted:

I have an S571 from like 2013 and it doesn’t look any bigger or smaller than mine.

duodenum posted:

Did you mean to post the exact same thing twice? Hahaha.

Speaking of Ibanez S models, I have an Iron Label S model and it's currently set up for C-Standard tuning (keeping it in a different tuning helps me justify keeping it and actually playing it every once in a while). It has a 25.5" scale and a set of 10-62 strings (according to the package, they're "optimized for C tuning"). If want to tune down a further half-step to go to B-Standard tuning, and assuming I don't have any issues with string buzzing, is it safe to do so without making any further adjustments to the the setup? Or would it be safest to just get it re-setup for B-standard tuning?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

That must have been some database problem because I did no such thing.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Travic posted:

Dave basically purely alternate picks everything. You more or less just start your hand moving in a strict up down in time with the beat and never stop....like tapping your foot only with your wrist. Then you either actually pick the string or don't. Sometimes (see The Stone) he even just picks all the time and uses muting to either get the note or a chcka percussive sound instead.

Take it slow but just keep your hand moving in time and you'll be there.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

havelock posted:

Dave basically purely alternate picks everything. You more or less just start your hand moving in a strict up down in time with the beat and never stop....like tapping your foot only with your wrist. Then you either actually pick the string or don't. Sometimes (see The Stone) he even just picks all the time and uses muting to either get the note or a chcka percussive sound instead.

Take it slow but just keep your hand moving in time and you'll be there.

That may be my problem. I pick and strum in fits and starts. If I have a rest between notes my hand stops until the next note.

What do I do for notes faster than the beat though? I get out of sync. Like D U D UD UDUD U D. Maybe this is a stupid question but my brain just gives up. :(

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Get a metronome and play the part comically slow, like so slow your hand is relaxing completely between every note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Travic posted:

What do I do for notes faster than the beat though? I get out of sync. Like D U D UD UDUD U D. Maybe this is a stupid question but my brain just gives up. :(

The speed your hand should move is determined by the minimum subdivision in the song - ie for Lie In Our Graves, you aren't doing 4 downstrokes per measure, you are doing 8. You are downstroking for each 8th note, so your upstrokes are the off beat 16ths.

That will get you for all the Dave stuff you want to play.

If you start playing punk or metal or something and (like me) can't downstroke fast enough anymore, you can a. either learn to downstroke faster or b. figure out how to temporarily double time things when weird groupings come up.

For the basics just plonk out downstrokes every 8th note and go from there.

Edit: if that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll see if I can take a phone vid of my right hand playing that song for you.

havelock fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 6, 2021