Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speaking of things vaguely related to Homestuck, I wonder how Radiation's Undertale is coming up? I really enjoyed the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Last post, as of last week, he'd completed three of four levels.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Oh god drat this new page format makes it even harder to check the new page.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think it'll be disappointment for not living up to the hype, more like the hype's died down almost completely. Aside from the die-hards people don't seem to be waiting with bated breath for the ending by this point - the finale will probably remind people that the comic exists at all. Paradox Space makes some sense as a way for Hussie to keep some official Homestuck content coming out if only to try and keep people's attention.

Homestuck succeeded partly on its rapid pace of updating, which made it very addictive. A month-long hiatus felt like an eternity. Waiting more than six months, on the other hand, breaks the habit completely.

I wonder how the finale's going to be posted once it's finished? Do you think Hussie will eke it out one update at a time, maybe try to build some hype back up? Or will he just drop it all at once?

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

I'd think at this point, I'd expect it to be dropped in one go and have it finally wrapped up.
I used to think staggering would make sense to prevent site crashes, but that'd happen regardless, so why not bite the bullet instead with the option that has the biggest impact.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If you were going for maximum hype-bump, probably the way to do it would be to drop it in 3-4 big updates. If were weren't out of ActActActs, I'd say release it per act.

Release an act, let the community chew on it for a week, release another act, etc.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bobulus posted:

If you were going for maximum hype-bump, probably the way to do it would be to drop it in 3-4 big updates. If were weren't out of ActActActs, I'd say release it per act.

Release an act, let the community chew on it for a week, release another act, etc.

We do technically have four act-act-acts and four act-act-intermissions left to go, as well as act 7. Assuming he doesn't keep nesting acts further. Asymptotic story structure!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, right, we're only at A6-A6-A2. For some reason I thought we were at A6-A6-A5.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I had the opportunity to see some work-in-progress stuff for the final update earlier this year and I promise it's some cool poo poo that'll probably knock your socks off. Probably.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My uncle works for Husstendo, and he says

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hope Nannasprite becomes relevant to the conclusion. She has history with the Empress and also is literally Jane. She's become a background character the last couple of acts; it'd be a nice bit of Chekhov's Grandma.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Bongo Bill posted:

My uncle works for Husstendo, and he says

nerdbot has actually had their work featured in Homestuck.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I hope Nannasprite becomes relevant to the conclusion. She has history with the Empress and also is literally Jane. She's become a background character the last couple of acts; it'd be a nice bit of Chekhov's Grandma.
Yeah, it'd be interesting to see a conversation between Nannasprite and Jane. Though I'd probably settle for Jaspersprite and Roxy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Unfortunately, Hussie seems pretty set and determined to avoid important conversations like this. Davesprite and Arquiusprite met up, off camera, and we never heard a word of it. John, Dave, Rose, Karkat, Kanaya, and Terezi had a bit climactic reunion and it was never seen by the audience and erased from everyone but John's memory.

I'm not sure why. Does he think he can't pull them off as well as the audience's imagination? Is he just not interested? Does he think these conversations would disrupt the pacing too much?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I continue to maintain that a major theme of Homestuck is "things that look important are not actually what is important" and that this is why most of the things you would expect to see are what you don't see.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I continue to maintain that a major theme of Homestuck is "things that look important are not actually what is important" and that this is why most of the things you would expect to see are what you don't see.

That's a stupid theme. Stupid stupid dumb.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

Unfortunately, Hussie seems pretty set and determined to avoid important conversations like this. Davesprite and Arquiusprite met up, off camera, and we never heard a word of it. John, Dave, Rose, Karkat, Kanaya, and Terezi had a bit climactic reunion and it was never seen by the audience and erased from everyone but John's memory.

I'm not sure why. Does he think he can't pull them off as well as the audience's imagination? Is he just not interested? Does he think these conversations would disrupt the pacing too much?

meh, chances are we'll see both of these conversations later.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Interesting. Personally, i submit the theory that Hussie has no idea how to structure, pace, or tell a story, and regularly botches any aspect of Homestuck that is not just a bunch of kids making up funny swear words.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's more complicated than just bad storytelling. Homestuck's characters, for example, are generally very well-written; they have enough depth that you can see how their personalities impact their relationships with specific other characters, and enough relatability that every character has its fans rooting for them. I don't think the story suffers from bad pacing in itself, though serialisation has done it no favours - we're fatigued with act 6 because it's gone on for three years, not because it's gone on for 2000 pages. I'd even think its structure will look better with hindsight, though yes, that is a weak point.

I think the biggest problem with Homestuck is that it's incoherent about what it's trying to be. Sometimes it's a modern creation myth. Sometimes it's a coming-of-age story. Sometimes it's a metacommentary on itself. Throughout the run of the comic, we've seen the creation myth parts ignored to support the character arcs, and more recently, seen the character arcs get sacrificed to make its meta points, while the meta stuff is really best kept as a side theme to the actual thrust of the story.

Perhaps Hussie is bad at writing climaxes, and so tends to avoid doing so where he can - certainly, Homestuck's best dramatic moments have usually had no dialogue at all. Maybe he's feeling the weight of expectation, and skips over parts that he thinks can't live up to what the readership has built them up to be. Perhaps he's just too whimsical about writing the story. His drifting attention served the comic well during its build-up but can be a liability when it needs to pay off.

Still, ultimately we won't be able to make any real conclusions until the comic has had its real conclusion. It's much easier to diagnose problems with story or structure when you can see the full picture. For now, I hope the ending addresses the problems the rest of act 6 has had.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Freak Futanari posted:

Interesting. Personally, i submit the theory that Hussie has no idea how to structure, pace, or tell a story, and regularly botches any aspect of Homestuck that is not just a bunch of kids making up funny swear words.

What parts of Homestuck do/did you like? I'm not trying to be rude, I just think it's interesting to hear people who used to like the comic (I'm assuming you did like it at one point) talk about what they formally enjoyed and where they think it went wrong.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What parts of Homestuck do/did you like? I'm not trying to be rude, I just think it's interesting to hear people who used to like the comic (I'm assuming you did like it at one point) talk about what they formally enjoyed and where they think it went wrong.

Common/correct answer is Act 6, specifically Waiting For Jake (To Get Laid).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Freak Futanari posted:

This is how I feel. Part 1 of Homestuck is cool and then it immediately goes directly into the shitter. It's sad. Most of the reason I'm still following it is just so that I can see how it ends because it's been like years and I'm invested at this point.

Problem Sleuth was cool because it was non-linear and structured weirdly. Homestuck sucks because it's non-linear and structured weirdly.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

I remember back when Cascade happened thinking that Homestuck had built to its grand climax and that the satisfactory conclusion was about to start and instead i got 2 years of 3 mediocre/bad characters + Roxy pissing about while nothing happened to any of the characters we already knew.

History will remember Act 6 as a loving disaster.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Freak Futanari posted:

Hussie has no idea how to structure, pace, or tell a story, and regularly botches any aspect of Homestuck that is not just a bunch of kids making up funny swear words.

But kids making up funny swear words is the most important part of Homestuck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Homestuck's formal virtuosity and innovation, to me, outweighs all complaints.

Bobulus posted:

Maybe he thought that kind of catharsis needed to be saved for after the climax. Maybe once we have seen the climax it'll make sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The story went to poo poo when Hussie stopped taking fan suggestions imo, because that was basically the entire reason I read the thing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe he thought that kind of catharsis needed to be saved for after the climax. Maybe once we have seen the climax it'll make sense.

I thought Hussie said that Cascade was the climax. (That statement made little sense to me when we got to the twists and events after Cascade, though)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Quote is not edit

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I thought Hussie said that Cascade was the climax. (That statement made little sense to me when we got to the twists and events after Cascade, though)

Hussie says lots of poo poo.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

nerdbot has actually had their work featured in Homestuck.

The only thing in Homestuck I've done is tell Hearts Boxcars to eat Eggs. I'm just close to some folks.

I couldn't really tell you about what I saw even if I wouldn't get in trouble for it because it was from smack dab in the middle of things without any context. But since the thread was on the subject, I think it's ok for me to at least say "hey, I've seen some stuff and it's cool and special, it's not going to just be a giant page dump with a flash or two."

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

nerdbot posted:

The only thing in Homestuck I've done is tell Hearts Boxcars to eat Eggs. I'm just close to some folks.

I could have sworn I remember you saying you did a song or some art or something. Perhaps I'm thinking of another goon.

Edit: EAT THE EGGS HEARTS

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Plenty of contributors to MSPA have posted in the Homestuck thread(s) through the ages. (Though I'm the only one I know of still doing so)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As THE GUY WHO NAMED DAVE STRIDER™ :c00lbert: let me tell you my expert opinion on the state of Homestuck. First of all,

edit: What I'm trying to say is, I am filled with sadness every time I look at what Dave has become. He could have been so ironically cool. The ironically coolest. But he's poo poo now. They're all poo poo.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

As THE GUY WHO NAMED DAVE STRIDER™ :c00lbert: let me tell you my expert opinion on the state of Homestuck. First of all,

edit: What I'm trying to say is, I am filled with sadness every time I look at what Dave has become. He could have been so ironically cool. The ironically coolest. But he's poo poo now. They're all poo poo.

Would you have preferred Homestuck to be an anarchic romp like the previous adventures, then? That's the impression I get. Why? What would have been better?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I liked the part(s) where Dave said a funny thing, and then maybe Karkat would say something funny, and they would draw a dong, and Vriska would kill somebody.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Also, the part where Jade turned into the Perfect Anime.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

Would you have preferred Homestuck to be an anarchic romp like the previous adventures, then? That's the impression I get. Why? What would have been better?

Homestuck is too complex now for me to bother trying to keep it straight. I prefer something more simple, and having three Ace Dicks running around was much easier to keep track of than three of every character. My problem is that it's just so ambitious now that there's really no way to bring it to a satisfying conclusion.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of goon contributions, who was the guy that Andrew hired to design the homestuck books? All I can remember is that he posted here and maybe had 'sword' somewhere in his name?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Bobulus posted:

Speaking of goon contributions, who was the guy that Andrew hired to design the homestuck books? All I can remember is that he posted here and maybe had 'sword' somewhere in his name?

That was Mortal Sword. They last posted in the thread back in May of 2012, it seems, but they're still active around the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Dave is still pretty cool, and went back to being chill after seeing his old selfies and having an ironymeltdown.

Karkat is still the coolest character and hasn't really changed much because how can you even get better than that.

Equius still owns and it's a loving travesty that he's merged with the stupid useless robot shades who only detract from his awesomeness.