Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

"I got a dog, because its great to have a dog. When you get a dog, you become a person who has a dog, and thats cool. If you get another dog, its so that your dog has a friend to play with. When I got my third dog..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Man as soon as the courts legalized gay marriage I knew people would be marrying their dogs but never thought I'd see it in person

Our relationship was strained when my side piece moved in with us.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

"I got a dog, because its great to have a dog. When you get a dog, you become a person who has a dog, and thats cool. If you get another dog, its so that your dog has a friend to play with. When I got my third dog..."

Mistakes were made!

The white one there is our fourth. He's the product of us being bad at fostering.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I got home at midnight last night. My dog was super happy to see me.then a thunderstorm hit at 2am. I had to lay in the guest bed cuddling him while he shook in terror for three hours. This morning he knocked my kid over to steal his Graham cracker.

Like I said, my dog is an rear end in a top hat.

Your dog sounds exactly like a toddler. Of course, toddlers are assholes, too.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lol at you special snowflakes trying to fill the void in your souls.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

sullat posted:

My toddler is better.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sullat posted:

Actual text from home today, comparing humans at two weeks of age to goats at two weeks of age, "And only very rarely try to pee on coffee tables."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My son peed in his mouth today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

My son peed in his mouth today.

a son who pee in his own mouth? shameful.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm a groomsman at a wedding this weekend. Tonight was the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner and the whole time I couldn't stop looking at my phone worried about e-mails regarding some upcoming expert depositions.

Pretty hosed up imo.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

yronic heroism posted:

Lol at you special snowflakes trying to fill the void in your souls.

This. Too many happy things in this thread. I feel like its an implicit rule

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

calvus posted:

If you want to hear about sad things I can just talk about my job hunt and all the ridiculous postings I read through!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 13, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a source to describe the concept of incorporation by reference? I'm looking for something that captures as general an application as possible in relation to interpretation, not the more specific contractual use.

Spoiler alert: I'm going to argue that scientists should do something roughly analogous with statistical methodology descriptions in their reporting.

the 'like' button on facebook. It doesnt mean anything, but everyone uses it anyways.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

the 'like' button on facebook. It doesnt mean anything, but everyone uses it anyways.

:perfect:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
So for selecting classes, in what order would you rank the following criteria: useful for bar, useful for practice, interest in the subject, time/day of class, easy grading/workload, something else?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
1. easy grading

everything else

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

So for selecting classes, in what order would you rank the following criteria: useful for bar, useful for practice, interest in the subject, time/day of class, easy grading/workload, something else?

1. Easy grading
1.5. Not attendance (may not apply if 6 is in play)
2. No curve classes (aka small classes with no lovely profs)
3. Grading based on not exams. Clinics, trial practice, bullshit paper courses.
4. Exam is multiple choice (final semester of 3rd year, I had one class with an exam and it was multiple choice)
5. Something you can talk about in an interview
6. Interesting -- don't laugh, I had a couple.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

1) easy
2) clinics

You'll learn all the bar poo poo at bar review.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

1. Something else (drop out)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Take basically any hands on or clinical stuff that you can

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Seriously though classes where you can get an A trumps everything because hiring is directly correlated to gpa.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

calvus posted:

Just remember, success as a lawyer is billing enough money to eventually become a superior consumer. Failure is spending blood and sweat to just try being that guy.

Skulls for the skull throne.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I thought you guys might have some interest in this:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-panama-papers?CMP=share_btn_tw

Panamanian law firm that specialized in making shell companies seems to have had a major leak of their client records.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

quote:

There are 11.5m documents and 2.6 terabytes of information drawn from Mossack Fonseca’s internal database.
This could get very interesting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joat mon posted:

This could get very interesting.

What I'm hoping for is solid investigative journalism to tie back where the hidden money came from in the first place, but that will take months or years.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Seriously though classes where you can get an A trumps everything because hiring is directly correlated to gpa.

If you already have a good job its SO hard to care about any classes in your third year

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
MSM, you've been practicing four years, right? What region you in and what was your school and practice area? About to go through the vale of tears myself and would like perspectives.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonexistence posted:

MSM, you've been practicing four years, right? What region you in and what was your school and practice area? About to go through the vale of tears myself and would like perspectives.

7 now! Illinois (Chicago) and I went to school here as well at one of the lovely not-t14s (loyola). When I got out in '08 there were no jobs and it took me an entire year to even get into doc review, things were that bad. Then I ended up getting drunk at a friend's place (who I was considering hooking up with) and after she passed out had more beers with a dude who got me into foreclosure law. Wow! And I probably need to go to a career transition center or something because my resume isn't working well, but this freaking 6 week old baby is draining me of every bit of energy I have (I feed him throughout the night and most of the day) and why won't you just sleep in your bassinet baby! WhY!

Anyways fun stuff , a friend of mine I've mentioned here (Penn grad, class of '08, got laid off in the crash and has done doc review for the last 5 years) invited me to a facebook group where lots of job postings are. The sad part is that all the doc review gigs pay a lot less than they did 6 years ago, which is really kind of pathetic.
But here 's a fun one:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/lgl/5519034908.html
" Attorney needed for temporary work ASAP. Must have USA passport; be able to travel for long periods of time. "

So the person who runs the group was like hey you know what this might be hilarious and went and inquired, got this response:

quote:

Thank you for your resume. We need an attorney to go to Russia as soon as possible. Our law firm, Ribbeck Law, is currently doing work related to the last 2 plane crash of Russian airliners.
You will need to travel for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. Your job will be to give power point presentations and meet with clients.

And here's what happened w/ the interview:

quote:

Then when I met with her yesterday at a Starbucks, the meeting didn't last very long and was very weird. She asked me about my general background, then told me they wanted someone to go with them (she and her brother run the firm) to Russia ASAP to meet with their clients from the most recent 2 Russian air crashes. She said they wanted someone who was very flexible and willing to work very long hours at the start and that things go less hectic as time went on. She said then the person they choose will go to Russia again later on their own to update clients.

She said she and her brother are now "semi-retired" and they only take on plane crash litigation that interests them. She said they weren't offering a permanent position because they don't know where, when or if another plane crash will happen.

No employment contract, no real details about what they wanted me to do (other than give Powerpoint presentations). When I asked about how the work would be structured, she told me I could draft my own employment contract. She did not quote any kind of compensation figure and instead told me to think about what kind of compensation I would like for this and to give her a number.

I told someone else a while back that I think it's worth it to at least meet with people because you never know. I never would have applied to the ad without the group. This has been a very interesting experience. Highly entertaining if nothing else. In the end, I think this isn't so murdery a posting as it is either a future episode of Nat Geo's Locked Up Abroad, or getting left stranded and without money in a foreign country.

Bonus: multiple other people in the group had interviewed with the exact same firm, back when the Malaysian flight thing happened.
Double bonus: The attorney got ARDC charges brought against her for filing frivolous pleadings regarding said flight.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-lawyer-malaysia-airlines-suit-20140805-story.html

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 4, 2016

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
MSM, here's another Chicago thing maybe you know more about. Was there anything in local bar news about a Lane Legal Services? It sounds like a really small firm. An alert I run on Westlaw sent me a case this morning with a law firm suing a departing lawyer (who is in his mid-20s) for stealing computer equipment and client information:

quote:

(a) Client contact information and lists that contain confidential client information, representing Plaintiffs' considerable efforts to develop and maintain client relationships and loyalty over the course of many years;
(b) Videos of past/present clients for mock depositions and trial preparation;
(c) Personal data of past/present clients (social security numbers, passport numbers, naturalization certificates, marriage certificates, divorce documents, and other private matters);
(d) E-Mails and other communications concerning the firm's legal services in general and specific legal matters (confidential settlement communications with government agencies, criminal and civil communications, transcripts from proceedings, etc.);
(e) Court filings and other litigation documents pertaining to specific clients and specific lawsuits/claims (civil, criminal, immigration files that pertain to clients' entire lives going back decades, etc.);
(f) Transactional documents, such as wills, pertaining to specific clients and specific matters (including asset information, personal data, etc.);
(g) Memorandum detailing attorney mental impressions regarding legal strategies and issues-drafts of opening statements/closing statements (investigation reports of witnesses with their home addresses and/or other personal data, etc.);
(h) The firm's purchased Family Law disks that include forms, pleadings, etc., Criminal Law disks, Immigration Law disks with numerous templates for drafting litigation documents, such as motions and briefs, and for drafting transactional documents, such as wills; [and]
(i) Photographs and videos of past/present clients as well as Lane's personal matters such as ... funerals and weddings, or private pictures of many persons and events, including but not limited to Lane.

Somehow this dude hasn't been disciplined by the Illinois bar yet. He moved to Texas. Cite is 2016 WL 1271051 if anyone is interested. Plaintiffs claims survived a motion to dismiss largely intact. Pretty funny backstory. The guy worked for the plaintiff during law school, lied about other offers to get employment there, and even convinced them to front him $55k for his student loans by complaining about them all the time.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Was the best man for one of my really great friends at the most unbelievable wedding I've ever experienced on Saturday. Truly a life-changing experience from start to finish.

All I could think about Sunday as I billed 16 hours was how much work I missed out on getting done by participating at that wedding.

I don't think I can continue to do this job to be honest.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I thought you were one of the people who liked his biglaw job

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hahahahaha my school listed me as a hiring employer that hired a UT law graduate in 2010-2015.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Hahahahaha my school listed me as a hiring employer that hired a UT law graduate in 2010-2015.

:lol:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's not false! It's just really misleading!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Not only that, he's employed a UT grad in a JD required job!

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's not false! It's just really misleading!

Print this at the bottom of all law school materials in teeny tiny text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hey, it's every law students dream to be managing partner of their own law firm, and UT put Scraps in the position to do it just a few years out of law school.