Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I just finished of my last roll with my trip back home to Oz, will get them in the post tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I've got four rolls of Kodachrome 3 of which expire in 11/2010 and 1 that expired a long rear end time ago. Hopefully it's nice this Sunday because I plan on shooting a roll or two.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I have 10 rolls of it. Fortunately they are only 24 exp rolls. I will be trying to shoot some of them off in Yosemite next week.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Someone should send me a roll of K-Chrome so that the stock can go out on a high note capturing boobs. :pervert:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Someone should send me a roll of K-Chrome so that the stock can go out on a high note capturing boobs. :pervert:
yessssssss

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody August hasn't gotten back to me about a roll of K. Cliche, but I want to get the leaves changing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys should make a thread when your Kodachrome comes back. End of an era :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm burning my last roll in my "carry" camera, the one I carry around in the car with me. I never used it that much before but I did have the roll. Dunno how old it is...at least it's DX coded.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Is kodachrome 64 the one to get? I see kodachrome 200 on ebay for less money, is it not as good or what? I need to get on the k-chrome train asap, I just realized it's almost october!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm down for a Kodachrome thread. I have a roll left kicking around. Unfortunately my 35mm camera options are a Stylus Epic or one of several old rear end SLRs (all broken in one way or another).

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I just got a new scanner (espon v600) and ran some horribly mangled old slides through it. Last time I went back home to help my mom clean her place, I found some of my dad's slides from a 1993 field trip laying around on the damp floor in the garage, mold does some pretty crazy things to Ektachrome emulsion.

(Aw gosh, it's a me.)

(Dad)

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

(Source: LookAtThatFuckingHipster.com)

The 'artistically aged ektachrome', the moustache, the aviators... all the facts fit man.

(seriously though those are some pretty cool photos)

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 24, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Picked up a Canon A-1 w/ 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 to take to India with me. Pretty excited to have joined the film club.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

:lsd: that is seriously awesome, it looks like a turtle nebula!

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Zegnar posted:

The 'artistically aged ektachrome', the moustache, the aviators... all the facts fit man.

(seriously though those are some pretty cool photos)

That's the secret to hipsters, isn't it.
"Remember how ridiculous our parents were? Yeah, let's bring that back."

vv ahahaha, that rules

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 25, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's the secret to hipsters, isn't it.
"Remember how ridiculous our parents were? Yeah, let's bring that back."

Found this while scanning some old negatives. My dad was a commie hipster :haw:

*not actually a Commie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I've just found a perfectly good Pentax K1000 with a 50mm in my closet, so I'm finally going to get to learn film. It's a shame I'll never get to shoot Kodachrome, though :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I've just found a perfectly good Pentax K1000 with a 50mm in my closet, so I'm finally going to get to learn film. It's a shame I'll never get to shoot Kodachrome, though :(

There's still two months and change. Get to it!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Speaking of Kodachrome all this talk made me go and buy a roll of K25 on Ebay.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Martytoof posted:

There's still two months and change. Get to it!
As far as film goes, I've never shot anything except archaic medium format. I'd probably botch the entire roll. I'm pretty psyched to start 35mm nonetheless. :)

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

As far as film goes, I've never shot anything except archaic medium format. I'd probably botch the entire roll. I'm pretty psyched to start 35mm nonetheless. :)

Pff. If the light meter is working on that k1000, sweet. If not, "sunny 16" it. Shoot a roll of cheap color film, get it developed at a one hour photo place to make sure that the camera is working and that you're using it right, then shoot some kodachrome before it's too late.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Speaking of Kodachrome all this talk made me go and buy a roll of K25 on Ebay.
There much difference between the isos?

East Lake fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 26, 2010

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

East Lake posted:

There much difference between the isos?

I'd also like to hear this because I asked this question higher up this page and it was ignored.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rontalvos posted:

I'd also like to hear this because I asked this question higher up this page and it was ignored.
I wanted to say, I don't think there's any reason Dwayne's wouldn't be able to develop it, but email them and ask first. This should be your first concern. As for why it's cheaper, it's probably because it's at least 2 years out of date, though if it was kept frozen that shouldn't make a difference.

Now how it performs, I have no idea, I've never shot it, but I would imagine it is analogous to other 200 films. The grain will be a bit more pronounced.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

pwn posted:

I wanted to say, I don't think there's any reason Dwayne's wouldn't be able to develop it, but email them and ask first. This should be your first concern. As for why it's cheaper, it's probably because it's at least 2 years out of date, though if it was kept frozen that shouldn't make a difference.

Now how it performs, I have no idea, I've never shot it, but I would imagine it is analogous to other 200 films. The grain will be a bit more pronounced.

I was mainly trying to discern whether or not kodachrome 64 was the 'real' emulsion to get and if the other ones are lesser emulsions or something silly like that.

VVVVV-- Edit: I could be shooting 6x9 kodachrome slides at loving rock bottom prices if they still did 120. :'O

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 26, 2010

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
K25 is super fine grained but at least a decade out of production at this point. K64 is what most people mean when they think/say Kodachrome. K200 is alot grainier than K64 and frankly not your best choice for a high speed slide film.

I would get K64 unless you absolutely need the speed. Oh and they are all developed with the K14 process so Dwaynes can run all three. They can even push up to 3 stops.

I wish they could still process 120 Kodachrome there is a ton on Ebay.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 26, 2010

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I just bought 10 rolls of cold stored 07 expiration :siren: 24 exposure :siren: rolls of kodachrome 64 off ebay.

Whoops. :negative:

Fake edit: I mean, at least I got some k-chrome, but I would've liked 36exp rolls. Oh well.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Rontalvos posted:

I just bought 10 rolls of cold stored 07 expiration :siren: 24 exposure :siren: rolls of kodachrome 64 off ebay.

Whoops. :negative:

Fake edit: I mean, at least I got some k-chrome, but I would've liked 36exp rolls. Oh well.

Did you buy from jasminehd? I can't really tell if that listing is for real, the price seems too low and the bulk too high for me to not be suspicious.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Did you buy from jasminehd? I can't really tell if that listing is for real, the price seems too low and the bulk too high for me to not be suspicious.

I bought that stuff too. The 24 exp doesnt bother me and it was cheap enough. Showed up reasonably quickly but I haven't tried to use it yet.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I bought from jjraf. Jasminehd's is advertising in the title that he's got many rolls left, his pricing is per-roll, he requires a minimum order of 5 rolls.

There's another guy selling bulk rolls and I'm probably gonna buy some more to distribute locally because I have a few friends who wanna shoot k-chrome.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I bought from jasminehd (3x 24), and they were really great to deal with. I accidentally gave them the wrong address and couldn't recover the package, so they simply sent another lot to me.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
So I've taken several shots on this roll in the K1000 but the exposure counter hasn't moved from 24. Did my film not catch on the spool or something? How do I tell?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Tshirt Ninja posted:

So I've taken several shots on this roll in the K1000 but the exposure counter hasn't moved from 24. Did my film not catch on the spool or something? How do I tell?

Does the counter on a Pentax count down from 24 to 1? That's kinda weird, most cameras count up from like -2.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Flip up the rewind crank and lightly try to rewind the film without pressing the film release thing. If it goes a few rotations (to pick up the slack inside the film canister) then stops, you loaded the film fine. If it keeps on going and going, you've got two issues: you didn't load the film correctly and now you've got to get the film leader back out of the can because you rewound the leader right into it.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I just had a look at my K1000. The film counter should have reset when you opened the film door and taken 2 shots to get to "0", then count up from there. See if the rewind crank moves at all during the cocking stroke. You may have nothing more than a bad film counter.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
The rewind crank didn't budge while I cocked it, so I probably just screwed up loading it. Fortunately I'm shooting cheap film while I get the hang of this... a camera has never made me feel quite so stupid. Thanks for all your help.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

The rewind crank didn't budge while I cocked it, so I probably just screwed up loading it. Fortunately I'm shooting cheap film while I get the hang of this... a camera has never made me feel quite so stupid. Thanks for all your help.

That's weird if the crank isn't budging during advance. Do you hear film moving inside the camera? Also, how many shots have you tried so far? Might be worth it to just open it up and reload it, if the film hasn't been advancing, you won't be losing any shots anyways.

If the counter is off, you're fine, just make sure you don't hulk out on the advance lever when you encounter resistance at the end of the roll.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
So I went to a camera show this weekend. There were too few vendors, but still a fairly decent selection of good film gear.

Nothing much for me, but I did get this crappy old Yashica point and shoot:

:v:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 27, 2010

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's weird if the crank isn't budging during advance. Do you hear film moving inside the camera? Also, how many shots have you tried so far? Might be worth it to just open it up and reload it, if the film hasn't been advancing, you won't be losing any shots anyways.

If the counter is off, you're fine, just make sure you don't hulk out on the advance lever when you encounter resistance at the end of the roll.

I shot half the roll and got the rewind crank to do its little counter-clockwise turn on advance, but the exposure counter still isn't going anywhere. I guess I'll shoot the rest of the roll and open it up and pray.

e. My professor had this to say:

quote:

You can push the rewind button and rewind the film until it just makes a crackling sound. Then open the camera and try reloading the film.
Why do I feel like I'm going to lose the leader in this case?

edit 2: Would the rewind crank still be turning during advance if the film hadn't spooled?

quote:

Dymo tape saved my life once: http://www.essortment.com/all/mmcamera_ryoo.htm Best tip ever.
This is awesome, thanks.

Tshirt Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Why do I feel like I'm going to lose the leader in this case?

Dymo tape saved my life once: http://www.essortment.com/all/mmcamera_ryoo.htm Best tip ever.

But when you get used to it you can tell when the leader is free of the advance but still poking out of the canister by sound alone. It's pretty obvious.