Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My cat just stole a mouthful of cheese from my taco. Is he going to die? He seems fine right now, but he's desperately trying to get more cheese. I guess he really likes dairy? He's always trying to steal milk from my glass when I'm not looking.

Edit: Ahaha. Kitty just learned he cannot yet directly jump up onto the table.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Haraksha posted:

My cat just stole a mouthful of cheese from my taco. Is he going to die? He seems fine right now, but he's desperately trying to get more cheese. I guess he really likes dairy? He's always trying to steal milk from my glass when I'm not looking.

Edit: Ahaha. Kitty just learned he cannot yet directly jump up onto the table.
Cats like dairy(clarification: from a moocow), but it's not recommended because it will give them the shits, and it's not nutritionally complete for them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's basically what I assumed. I'm hoping I don't wake up to a terrible surprise in the morning. Fortunately, he likes to sleep on the bedside table under the window and not directly in my bed.

Sir Pounce is the oddest cat. He loves to carry his toys over to something that is slightly raised above the floor, like the fridge, and push them under it. He then attempts to fish the toy back out. This can keep him amused for hours. It's amazing.

Sasarella
Jul 5, 2004

Wholesome Sassy Sweetness
They make cats milk that is for adults and kittens, but it's meant as a treat, not meal replacement. Also, I do not know how good or bad it is for adult cats. I have been tempted to give my cats some, but have been nervous. Man, they will do anything to try to get to milk.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, I always thought it was okay to give cats like a tiny bit of dairy once in a while? For instance, I occasionally let my kitty lick my cereal bowl after I'm done, which is basically empty and only has a tiny bit of milk - I figure she must like the way it tastes and it's such a small amount that it won't do any harm.

My dad used to give this one cat saucers of half-and-half to drink periodically, which I always thought was amusing at the time in some way but in retrospect was likely not too good for him.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I found these brownish blackish little worms under my cat's food bowl today, none around her water though, and there were none in the food itself, just under the bowl touching the floor.

Does anyone know what they could be? Didn't look like any mealworms I've ever seen as they are usually whiter than that. How can I prevent that from happening again? Should I worry about my cat having worms now (i.e. vet time)?

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Alright guys, I have kind of a weird question.

How often do your kitties pee? I don't think my adult cat is peeing as much as she should, and my mom is afraid she's finding somewhere besides her litter box to go. However, I have scoured the whole house and cannot seem to find anywhere she is/could be peeing instead of her litter.

Quick edit: She has two litter boxes on the opposite sides of the same room. She usually pees in one, and poops in the other.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

kaworu posted:

My dad used to give this one cat saucers of half-and-half to drink periodically, which I always thought was amusing at the time in some way but in retrospect was likely not too good for him.

I have a Russian friend whose grandmother leaves saucers of milk out for the house spirits. The spirits are very good about drinking all of the milk, and their cat is enormous. :3:

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

hypnotoad posted:

Alright guys, I have kind of a weird question.

How often do your kitties pee? I don't think my adult cat is peeing as much as she should, and my mom is afraid she's finding somewhere besides her litter box to go. However, I have scoured the whole house and cannot seem to find anywhere she is/could be peeing instead of her litter.

My cats pee daily, usually multiple times daily. Put more water bowls out if you're worried about it... I realized a water bowl away from the food really encourages the kitties to gulp it down. Also, you'd probably smell it if your cat was pissing somewhere else.

Also, I have a cat xanax :catdrugs: TRIP REPORT! :catdrugs:

I posted a couple weeks ago asking for information/reassurance about giving my cats their prescribed xanax so they didn't freak out on the impeding loooong car ride. I gave each cat 0.5 mg each day (2 days). The first day went great, we were in the car for probably 12 hours and both cats were totally chill! There was one incident where Dwight managed to escape from his carrier because I didn't latch it properly, but I was able to trick him back into it very easily after he stumbled around the car for a bit. That cat was hosed up, man! I wish I could have been able to play with him more while he was all goofy.

The next day we were in the car for only about 6 hours, and I was pretty optimistic about that since we'd made it through a 12 hour day already. BUT there was an awful poop incident with Kitty where she managed to poo poo in her carrier and get it all over herself. She wasn't very happy about it even after we cleaned up the best we could, so she was meow-yelling all the way there. It probably would have been a lot worse without the xanax... we gave her a bath as soon as we arrived at our destination, and she tolerated that surprisingly well.

Both cats explored our new digs, then passed out for a long while... I figure they hadn't been sleeping much in the car. After all the drugs wore off they seemed pretty happy and well-adjusted. Both cats seemed surprisingly ok with being in a brand new place. So I guess the cat xanax, and the great cat move, were very successful!

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
:sigh: So my cat Mozart, I got him over a month ago. He's 7, and I was hoping that I was bringing home a nice big chill cat that would keep me company since I live alone.

Instead he's kind of a dick. He has nothing to do with me, unless it's feeding time, and then I'm just a breathing can opener. When my fiance comes to visit, Mozart likes to roll on his back in a "oh come and play with me!" kind of way, but then when my fiance touches him Mozart attacks.

At night he does that crazy zoom-zoom across the apartment, howling, sharpening his (non existent) claws on furniture, going mental routine.

When I first got him, it seemed promising. But I don't see the point in keeping a cat that really is not serving it's purpose of keeping me company.

Before taking him to the Humane Society though, I want to at least *try* to see if there are any causes to these problems.

First, I wondered if being underfed can cause such irritability and behavior funks in a cat. I finally got a bathroom scale and decided to weigh him today just to see. He's 20 lbs. He's not *fat* just huge. Now that I know his weight, I think I've been accidently seriously underfeeding him. The Merrick can's I buy say one 5.5oz can for every 6 lbs. I've been giving him 9 oz a day, and sometimes leaving out kibble, but not always.

Tonight I left out more food to see, and sure enough, he is laying next to me on the couch sleeping. This rarely happens. He's seemed really ungrateful towards me (I normally found adopted pets were more gracious) and I wondered if he was just pissy because he wasn't getting enough food. And now that his belly is full, he's chilling out....

I don't know. I feel like such a bad pet owner.... the last time my family had a cat we just left a gigantic bowl of kibble for our cat to eat from all week, which I thought was bad. Now that I have a cat on my own, I was trying not to let him be a roaming eater, but now I think I was just making a situation worse. :(

anaaki fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 17, 2011

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!

spatula posted:

My cats pee daily, usually multiple times daily. Put more water bowls out if you're worried about it... I realized a water bowl away from the food really encourages the kitties to gulp it down. Also, you'd probably smell it if your cat was pissing somewhere else.

Yeah I think I'm gonna put more water down. But it concerns me, I check it daily and I only find pee clumps every other day or so and when she pees it is A LOT. I watch her drink water often, but I'm going to put more bowls down too.

I get a whiff of cat pee every once and a while, but even nose-to-the-carpet searching cannot find a spot, and then I can't smell it anymore. It's like... I smell it once and then it's gone. It also doesn't help that the UrineOff cleaner's enzyme smells rather strongly. I'm pretty sure that is what I'm smelling.

I also have some Solid Gold urinary tract powder that I'm gonna start adding to her wet food, I read that could possibly help her out.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

We have two cats, brothers of the same litter. We recently noticed that the lazier/dumber of the two has very gnarly claws on his back feet, some look splintery and dark (and a few are pretty degraded) and others are close to being normal nails but are just kinda gross looking and imperfect.

How do I troubleshoot cat-claw health? Do I gotta take my bro to the vet?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Took my cat to the vet for his second round of inoculations. Sir Pounce remembered the cold steel of the vet's table and immediately turned into a vicious killing machine. The vet doesn't really speak English, but he was able to find one word in his vocabulary to describe my 2.2kg kitten: powerful.

He attempted to control the situation with a cone of shame, but that transformed a grumpy kitten into a rotating ball of fur, teeth, and claws. Honestly, if there weren't two full grown men handling him, I don't think he would have been able to give him his shot.

We did learn that on his next visit, we should clip his nails before attempting to stab him.

I've been feeding the little fucker a steady diet of canned Chicken Soup for Kittens and dry Orijen and did my best to explain in broken Chinese that he's very well fed (Ta chi hen hao de dong shi).

The vet politely agreed as his eyes fogged over with visions of my cat doubling in size on its way to adulthood.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ask him if he has any cat xanax to give him an hour before you bring him in. May mean picking them up as needed but it should help in the future.

You should also always keep your cats claws trimmed, if not for your vets sake, for your hands and the furnitures sake.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Haraksha posted:

Took my cat to the vet for his second round of inoculations. Sir Pounce remembered the cold steel of the vet's table and immediately turned into a vicious killing machine. The vet doesn't really speak English, but he was able to find one word in his vocabulary to describe my 2.2kg kitten: powerful.

He attempted to control the situation with a cone of shame, but that transformed a grumpy kitten into a rotating ball of fur, teeth, and claws. Honestly, if there weren't two full grown men handling him, I don't think he would have been able to give him his shot.

We did learn that on his next visit, we should clip his nails before attempting to stab him.

I've been feeding the little fucker a steady diet of canned Chicken Soup for Kittens and dry Orijen and did my best to explain in broken Chinese that he's very well fed (Ta chi hen hao de dong shi).

The vet politely agreed as his eyes fogged over with visions of my cat doubling in size on its way to adulthood.
let me know if you need more broken Chinese to tell your vet; I have to do as much with my vet too. I'm in Taiwan, and their knowledge of cat nutrition tends to be Hill's, Royal Canin(they like this one), and not much else. I used Chicken Soup for a while(they'd never heard of it) earlier, and lately settled on the fish version of Orijen dry, as the cats don't seem to puke it up(the retards like to load up/binge sometimes then ralph it back up). That poo poo's pricey though, and that Chicken Soup/Orijen mix actually sounds like a good idea.

Edit: vvv thanks for the heads up; didn't know there was a Taiwan thread until I just searched for it. As for Chicken Soup, there aren't really a bunch of flavors, persay, it's more utilitarian: Kitten/Normal/Reduced Calorie tend to be the spectrum, though I may be forgetting 1 type/flavor. My cats don't really care for the wet food all that much, so I just go with the dry food(with an ample clean water source).

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Edit: hurf

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
New post for photos! Sir Pounce demonstrated spatial logic.

A box.

It appears there is something inside.

I will put my head in.

Oh. It doesn't fit.

Edit: Studying his psychology and relationships with different people is very amusing. I held a toy he really wanted to play with directly over my girlfriends head and he stared at it for a long time before finally balancing a paw on her face to reach for it. My girlfriend tried the experiment in reverse, but no matter what she did he would not put a paw on my head.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 17, 2011

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Aren't cats fascinating like that? I have fun sometimes with Jackie presenting interesting and/or semi-challenging situations to her on occasion, although I do try not to go to her far and piss her off, or anything like that.

I sometimes wonder about the various feelings that cats have. For instance, Jackie was really close friends with another cat when she was growing up named Squeak who died, which upset her a great deal at the time. She was hanging out on my lap the other day, and just on a whim I asked her: "Hey Jackie, do you remember Squeak?" And she immediately stopped purring and got up and left! Which is something that she never, ever does - if she's hanging out on my lap she pretty much stays there until I get up or kick her off for some reason. It was crazy that the second I mentioned Squeak's name she just left in a huff. Makes me think she really does remember the name, associates it with him, and still feels bad about it even though he's been dead for over two years.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
My two go about things in very different ways and it is sort of fascinating to watch.

I had a small shopping bag on the counter that was empty. One of the two knocked it onto the floor. Figaro sat on it then got bored. Watson poked at it, pulled the tissue paper out then had a grand time with his prize (until he stuck his head in to find more surprises and ended up with his head stuck in the handle and the bag chasing him as he ran around the house in terror... and he's the smart cat.)

Figaro doesn't really think things through, he just does them. Watson is the plotter, he gauges every situation carefully. Sadly giving them something to figure out usually ends with Figgy just laying on it and Watson giving up then ignoring it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My cat introduction has been at sort of a halt for a few days now. The only game they play is 'chase the either around the house at full speed while yowling'. They will calm down and eat together in a civilized manner, but when there's no eating to be done, it's chase chase chase.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Esmerelda posted:

Watson poked at it, pulled the tissue paper out then had a grand time with his prize (until he stuck his head in to find more surprises and ended up with his head stuck in the handle and the bag chasing him as he ran around the house in terror... and he's the smart cat.)
My kitten Tigh does this routine, except she always chooses to go in and out through the handle. Paper bag, plastic bag, duffle bag, it doesn't matter - if it's got a handle big enough to fit her head, no matter how tight, that's the doorway. It's the dumbest/funniest drat thing to watch.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a cat used to his collar? It's been about two weeks but my cat Beauregard keeps gnawing on his tags. I thought he'd be used to it by now, but apparently not. I am paranoid and worried that he's going to hurt his teeth or something.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Radio! posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a cat used to his collar? It's been about two weeks but my cat Beauregard keeps gnawing on his tags. I thought he'd be used to it by now, but apparently not. I am paranoid and worried that he's going to hurt his teeth or something.

Indy absolutely hated her collar at first to the point where she was constantly pulling and ripping at it. I happened to mention this to the vet at her checkup, who said that some collars, particularly the typical woven nylon ones, can catch and pull at the cat's fur. I bought her a different one that's smooth and she hasn't messed with it since. She doesn't fight me when I put it on her any more, either. So maybe try a different kind and see if Beauregard stops messing with it?

My childhood cat would carefully groom her collar during her cleaning sessions - she'd delicately grab it by the tags with her mouth and tug it until it rotated all the way around, as if to check that it was still in good working order :3:. The tag was covered in tiny teeth marks but her teeth never suffered for it. She had some wicked fangs as a youngun, too.

torn polyester
Mar 24, 2007
Unfortunately, I found out today that my 3 year old russian blue mix, named Sophie, tested positive for the Feline Leukemia Virus. My boyfriend and I adopted her when she was 3 months old from a human society. She was very very sick. She had a severe respiratory infection. They originally weren't going to let us take her home but after testing (twice!) for Feline Leukemia they let her go. We eventually got her healthy and everything seemed to be smooth sailing. We kept her indoors and as an only cat so there has been no other exposure to the virus since she was a kitten.

Anyways, that brings me to today. I noticed one of her pupils was bigger than the other and took her into the vet to be checked out. The vet gave me the bad news and told me that she also had some cavities and they needed to be fixed right away. Besides her pupils being different sizes and her teeth needing work, she is in perfect health. She eats, grooms, and plays like normal. The vet said the prognosis varies from cat to cat. I am really interested in other goons experiences with Feline Leukemia positive cats. Is there anything additional I can do for her other than make sure any illnesses she gets are taken care of quickly? Does anyone have any stories about feline leukemia positive cats living long healthy lives? Since she probably had it as a kitten I am assuming that this is something she has been living with for the past three years.. so far she has been healthy so I guess thats a positive. I'm pretty devastated by the news and I could use some reassurance. :smith:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

torn polyester posted:

Unfortunately, I found out today that my 3 year old russian blue mix, named Sophie, tested positive for the Feline Leukemia Virus. My boyfriend and I adopted her when she was 3 months old from a human society. She was very very sick. She had a severe respiratory infection. They originally weren't going to let us take her home but after testing (twice!) for Feline Leukemia they let her go. We eventually got her healthy and everything seemed to be smooth sailing. We kept her indoors and as an only cat so there has been no other exposure to the virus since she was a kitten.

Anyways, that brings me to today. I noticed one of her pupils was bigger than the other and took her into the vet to be checked out. The vet gave me the bad news and told me that she also had some cavities and they needed to be fixed right away. Besides her pupils being different sizes and her teeth needing work, she is in perfect health. She eats, grooms, and plays like normal. The vet said the prognosis varies from cat to cat. I am really interested in other goons experiences with Feline Leukemia positive cats. Is there anything additional I can do for her other than make sure any illnesses she gets are taken care of quickly? Does anyone have any stories about feline leukemia positive cats living long healthy lives? Since she probably had it as a kitten I am assuming that this is something she has been living with for the past three years.. so far she has been healthy so I guess thats a positive. I'm pretty devastated by the news and I could use some reassurance. :smith:
My brother's cat's also got FeLV on it, and he's doing just fine; he loves to come up and knead on people, during which he drools, and will do this for anywhere up to 10-20 minutes if he feels like it and you let him. Little guy's had cat AIDS for like I dunno, 3-4 years or so, and doesn't give a goddamn. Just take care of your cat and he'll be fine.

Ninjedit: Actually, I'm not sure if it's FIV or FeLV, but same long-term bullshit, still a happy cat either way.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

torn polyester posted:

Does anyone have any stories about feline leukemia positive cats living long healthy lives? Since she probably had it as a kitten I am assuming that this is something she has been living with for the past three years.. so far she has been healthy so I guess thats a positive. I'm pretty devastated by the news and I could use some reassurance. :smith:
It sounds like you caught it without her getting sick and showing obvious signs of extreme pain and the like, which is good. With two of our cats, we only found out after they started acting drastically different and it was too late.

However, an ex of mine adopted a kitten with feline leukemia and she was a sweetheart who lived a number of years. The cat who we're fairly sure gave it to our two cats was old, about ten or eleven, and she lived for another five years if I remember right. So it's totally possible and it sounds like you're doing everything right.

torn polyester
Mar 24, 2007
Thanks for the reassurance, Tendal and Duckfarts.

Tendal, I am really sorry about what happened to your cats. Thats awful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is cat diarrhea pretty obvious? My cats have separate litter boxes, but ever since I brought a new kitten home, my big guy has seemed to be peeing more and crapping less. The last couple days I haven't found any solid stool in his box, so I'm thinking the pee clumps are actually diarrhea. Hopefully he didn't pick up a bug from newcat. He has been munching on some of her kitten mix so maybe that's messing with him.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I don't know about the contents of your litter box, but I can say that when my grownup cats have snuck a little kitten food, they definitely got the runs. (E. Which can get fairly liquidy. I'd say they were distinguishable from pee clumps, though.)

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Kitten dickishness has decreased 80% since bringing in Kitten #2 on Saturday. Anatoli warmed up quick after the first day and now Aneta's time is spent wrestling with him followed by recovery naps instead of finding new ways to knock her water all over the floor and make noise. Video!

Not that Anatoli isn't a giant attention whore, only he does it by climbing all over me and licking my face while I'm working instead of by destroying things.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Awww, cute video Schroedinger - hooray for kitten/cat wrestle-playing! :3:

As for me, Jackie has turned into velcro-kitty. She was always clingy, but only to an extent. Now, she not only insists on hanging out with me all the time, she also follows me at my heels whenever I do *anything*. If I go to the kitchen to make food or coffee or something, she's right behind me. If I go to the bathroom she will *insist* on sitting directly on my feet or waiting directly at the door. I now have to sit with her when I feed her because she will *not* eat at all unless I am in the same place as her food. I always have to be careful about how I walk now in my apartment, because if I am walking somewhere (anywhere) Jackie is always right around my feet. I've managed not to step on her yet, which is definitely good!

I'm honestly okay with this, I don't really mind. It's a little 1-bedroom apartment and it's just me and Jackie, so it's natural that she'd attach to me strongly since she's got that kind of personality. And she's a really loving, affectionate, thoughtful cat without a mean or cruel bone in her body. I'm honestly worried about what happens when I'm not there. I know she doesn't seem to eat at all when I'm not home, which is worrisome. I haven't heard reports of her crying or meowing excessively when I'm gone from the neighbors, but the sound insulation is very good here in the building and she's not a very noisy cat anyway, so who knows. I know separation anxiety is a big thing with dogs and the concept of a cat with that problem is kind of laughable... but in this case I honestly do wonder.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Now that the weather is getting colder I'm finding myself with bed companions. Watson is a lap cat anyway but Figaro is a new addition. The best part is I can bear hug Figgy and he just stays there for a while. I've also caught them curled up together (Watson usually uses Figaro's fluffy belly as a pillow.)

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I've two tabby littermate kittens (one grey, one orange), Edie (shortened from Eddie after finding out he was actually a she) and Hobbes. Hobbes is chill but Edie is a little whinier and spazzy. She's been meowing constantly at us every time my girl or I head in to the kitchen. She'll quit as soon as we leave the kitchen so it's as though she's begging for scraps but she's never received any in her life. Is this something she'll grow out of or can be discouraged? Both of us just ignore her when she does it.

edit: pics!

icehewk fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 19, 2011

Sasarella
Jul 5, 2004

Wholesome Sassy Sweetness

icehewk posted:

I've two tabby littermate kittens (one grey, one orange), Edie (shortened from Eddie after finding out he was actually a she) and Hobbes. Hobbes is chill but Edie is a little whinier and spazzy. She's been meowing constantly at us every time my girl or I head in to the kitchen. She'll quit as soon as we leave the kitchen so it's as though she's begging for scraps but she's never received any in her life. Is this something she'll grow out of or can be discouraged? Both of us just ignore her when she does it.

edit: pics!

Holy crap, I want your cats... So cute.
As for begging advice. I always just ignore mine when they get like that, which you are already doing. It will get better as they get out of rear end in a top hat-kitten-phase. :)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

icehewk posted:

I assume this is Hobbes? If so it is the PERFECT picture because his upright stance looks so much like Hobbes in the comic strip does when he's standing around :3:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

For the past week or so I've been researching what it takes to adopt a cat from a rescue. This is a bit of a silly question, but are the names that they have permanent? I'll be getting a cat from a rescue so I'm guessing their assigned names are temporary. Is it easy to give them a new name or would it be better to stick with the name they have? I'm looking at one, but the name is a bit stupid. Obviously, that's not a major issue.

The only thing holding me back is the fear that I'll end up with an anti-social cat. I don't want to adopt a cat that'll constantly hiss at me and run away. I've been around foster cats before and it seemed like for every friendly cat there was one that would constantly run away and scratch up everything and be an antisocial jerk. I guess that problem can be remedied by visiting the cats beforehand.

I know it says in the OP that it's better to adopt two, but having never raised cats before I think it'd be better to start off with one first to see how we get along. Is that a good idea?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bioshuffle posted:

For the past week or so I've been researching what it takes to adopt a cat from a rescue. This is a bit of a silly question, but are the names that they have permanent? I'll be getting a cat from a rescue so I'm guessing their assigned names are temporary. Is it easy to give them a new name or would it be better to stick with the name they have? I'm looking at one, but the name is a bit stupid. Obviously, that's not a major issue.

The only thing holding me back is the fear that I'll end up with an anti-social cat. I don't want to adopt a cat that'll constantly hiss at me and run away. I've been around foster cats before and it seemed like for every friendly cat there was one that would constantly run away and scratch up everything and be an antisocial jerk. I guess that problem can be remedied by visiting the cats beforehand.

I know it says in the OP that it's better to adopt two, but having never raised cats before I think it'd be better to start off with one first to see how we get along. Is that a good idea?
Names are not permanent.

Spend time with a cat before you decide to adopt it. Based on your wants, stay the gently caress away from kittens.

Starting with one cat is perfectly fine.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Cats don't care what you call them. Mine were 2 1/2 and 3 when I adopted them and both had their names changed by me to something more appropriate (and less dumb.) They do know their names but they're cats. Acknowledgement of their names is not a guarantee by any stretch.

Talk to the people at the rescue about what you're looking for and have them help you figure out which cat would suit you. They should have something that has comments about behavior traits and whatnot as well I'd hope.

You do need to remember that while a cat may be fine at the rescue once you get them home they will take some time to adjust. That time could be a few minutes (like mine) or a few weeks or even months. You'll need to be patient, it's a huge stress on the cat to go from what they know to what they don't.

Start with one. Some cats you come across may even prefer being the only one :)

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

kaworu posted:

I assume this is Hobbes? If so it is the PERFECT picture because his upright stance looks so much like Hobbes in the comic strip does when he's standing around :3:

Yes! That mannerism is his namesake. Edie does it as well, but only when she's reaching for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

We are having a pooping-outside-the-box issue with one or both ofthe kittens :gonk: I think it's a straightforward issue - we still only have one box despite all my urging, and the area where the poop is appearing is one where Charlie and KC had both pooped previously, so there's probably residual smell.

I know the solutions are probably simple, but my husband is fighting me all the way on this and it's making me a little nuts. For some reason he cannot fathom needing two litter boxes, and insists this has nothing to do with the single box. He's willing to get a second box anyway, but he doesn't like any of my suggestions for placement. He's convinced we just need to block the corner where they're going better, which is crazy because we've already blocked it and they just go in front of the blockade. The spot where they're going is fairly close to where the litter box is, and for some reason that just blows his mind - "But their litter box is right there!"

Gah. I wish husbands were easier to train.

I have tried to explain to him that cat logic is not people logic, but he just stubbornly refuses to accept that the cats would do anything that doesn't make sense to him. Yet they are...