Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
It looks like he's fading.

drat you emotional robot. drat you for making me feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Robot didn't die. He's survived being reduced to a single chip. His eyes are also lit up through all panels. He's just having a moment.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 9, 2011

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Madrox posted:

Robot didn't die. He's survived being reduced to a single chip. His eyes are also lit up through all panels. As you said, he's just having a moment.

Okay, figured that was the case. That darkening fade-out certainly conveys some emotion and gravity to the situation though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wait, Robot didn't just die did he? I mean, it looks like it could be an introspective realization in the last panels, but at the same time the lighting is worrying me.

Nah, if he'd died his eyes probably would have stopped glowing. Besides, his CPU is fine. There's no reason for him to die. I think it's just time passing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Do Shadow and Robot have an established gender? I'm trying to calculate how angry chibisoma is right now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I assumed that the panels getting darker was just a play on the line "I love my good friend Shadow".

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Now do you mean love like a man has for his wife, or like the love a man has for a fine cuban cigar?

Seriously though, this was a very nice chapter in their whole thing. Tom does a good job of giving you enough prior information so that this isn't a total surprise but still feels revelatory.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Do Shadow and Robot have an established gender? I'm trying to calculate how angry chibisoma is right now.

Shadow's male and Robot identifies male.

Love without the possibility of attraction makes this a difficult one to define in my mind. I mean, Annie and Kat could be said to love each other in a platonic, sisterly manner, but this seems like it's meant to be more despite being non-sexual. My point is I'm curious to see how this plays out.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Hey so something was bothering me while reading the Guardian's website, and I finally figured it out:

...is Marina Hyde a robot? :ohdear:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Marina Hyde is not Jones.

Jones is not a robot.

Therefore, Marina Hyde is a robot.

This is logic. It is irrefutable.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Shadow's male and Robot identifies male.

Love without the possibility of attraction makes this a difficult one to define in my mind. I mean, Annie and Kat could be said to love each other in a platonic, sisterly manner, but this seems like it's meant to be more despite being non-sexual. My point is I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Call me a ginormous dweeb, but Sam and Frodo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well there're not going to be any robosmooches for Shadow. Robot doesnt even have a mouth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phy posted:

Call me a ginormous dweeb, but Sam and Frodo.

I dunno, they're more like Kat and Annie, though. Just more extreme due to world-ending trauma.

SynthOrange posted:

Well there're not going to be any robosmooches for Shadow. Robot doesnt even have a mouth.

He doesn't even have a body right now. Who knows what RobotV4 will look like.

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006
Goon Through Charity (And Don't I Forget It)

SynthOrange posted:

Robot doesnt even have a mouth.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
So will Annie and Kat be the ones to bring peace to the Woods and the Court? Or will it be Shadow and Robot?

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

SynthOrange posted:

I think that Shadow's... anatomy is probably going to get more in the way than robot's temporary lack of mouth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Guys, it's possible for two characters to love each other, without it involving physical love.

I'd really rather not think about the mechanics of...all that...anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

Guys, it's possible for two characters to love each other, without it involving physical love.

That's exactly where I was coming from. Dunno how many people I know that expected Sam and Frodo to start making out when they met back up at the very end of RotK, but that's not the relationship they had at all. Bros4Lyfe is kind of a beginning of describing it. Or is that covered by "platonic love"?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phy posted:

That's exactly where I was coming from. Dunno how many people I know that expected Sam and Frodo to start making out when they met back up at the very end of RotK, but that's not the relationship they had at all. Bros4Lyfe is kind of a beginning of describing it. Or is that covered by "platonic love"?

Yeah, that's covered by platonic. I dunno, but the way it was put in this comic made me think it was meant to be Robot declaring more than just 'Bros4Lyfe'.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Bobulus posted:

PREPOSTEROUS!

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I was re-reading some bits from the archive, and thought that in light of the most recent strip, it was worth pointing out the narration in this strip, particularly the last few panels.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Madrox posted:

I was re-reading some bits from the archive, and thought that in light of the most recent strip, it was worth pointing out the narration in this strip, particularly the last few panels.

In light of this, the strip makes a lot more sense. The point isn't about the relationship between Robot and Shadow or whatever, it's about Robot figuring out what love is.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Robot wanted to know what love is. He got shadow to show him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I'm just picturing Shadow giving Robot the Gillite equivalent of the birds and the bees lecture. :3:

"Well, when a tree-person and a shadow-person are in love, they ask Coyote to weave them a baby out of moonlight..."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

VanSandman posted:

What is love?
Parely don't hurt me.
Don't hurt me.
No more.

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
Girls just want to have fun, that's all they really waaaaAAaaaaAAaaaAAant.
(via fencing)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm not sure why Shadow wearing clothes is so cute, but it definitely is. :3:

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

HE'S a robot with religious convictions and HE'S an easygoing shadow ripped from both his home and the second dimension. They solve crimes. M-W-F, tune in to the Internet for... Shadow of a Doubt!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Vanilla Bison posted:

HE'S a robot with religious convictions and HE'S an easygoing shadow ripped from both his home and the second dimension. They solve crimes. M-W-F, tune in to the Internet for... Shadow of a Doubt!

How could you not title that Me and my Shadow? How?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

How could you not title that Me and my Shadow? How?

Because Me and My Shadow is clearly the Odd Couple-esque comedy show, while Shadow of a Doubt is the hard hitting crime drama.

Anyways, that last panel is adorable.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

a kitten posted:

Because Me and My Shadow is clearly the Odd Couple-esque comedy show, while Shadow of a Doubt is the hard hitting crime drama.

I was under the impression it was a buddy cop show.

Also I reacted to shadow in clothes the same way I do to dogs in clothes.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

a kitten posted:

Not to me. I just kinda went "AAAAaaahh! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" in my head... Shadows aren't... They can't...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I was under the impression it was a buddy cop show.

Also I reacted to shadow in clothes the same way I do to dogs in clothes.
Is that :3: or :stonk:?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Is that :3: or :stonk:?

The first one. He has the same expression and everything. "Why are you doing this? I do not wear clothes I am a dog shadow".

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
So I guess a bunch of time happened.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shadow just became twice as awesome.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Dude's pretty strong for a basically massless sentient film

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

I flippin love this comic so much. I was so worried about Shadow all weekend and then BAM. Loveliest Panel Ever. :3:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, I guess it did work out well. Thank goodness Smitty was around when this happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Did anyone else notice that Kat and Annie tense up when they hear the *BIP*? Maybe they're super awkward around Parley now...