Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Meh, there's a lot of ways in which that particular play could be interpreted - if it was in the player's way and he batted it, most refs probably won't call Interference (which is the proper call for preventing a player from retrieving dropped equpiment). It's definitely a judgment call.

Keep your stick in your hands and it won't be a problem, superstar. :colbert:

No one touches my kids stick and gets away with it. NO ONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Skate odor...

I noticed there's a slight stink in the insoles for my skates. Is it okay to maybe spray some diluted bleach on them and letting them dry? Or are there better ways to combat the evil stank?? I've always told myself to never let my gear get to this point but I guess it's inevitable :sigh:

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
I can't wait to heat mold my skates and get back on the ice...when I have the $15 per open hockey session to throw down.

gently caress how expensive it is.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

15 bucks? gently caress that noise. I thought 8 was pushing it.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

shyguy posted:

15 bucks? gently caress that noise. I thought 8 was pushing it.

Gotta be expensive to keep ice here in Cali, I guess. Figure the summer is like 95 every day. And last time I went, it was pretty hot and the ice was still nice.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kashew posted:

I can't wait to heat mold my skates and get back on the ice...when I have the $15 per open hockey session to throw down.

gently caress how expensive it is.

In Arizona, it is usually $10-15 for open hockey. Some people will even pay $25-35 to play in organized pickup games (two lines that shift every 2 minutes). It just comes down to their being a finite amount of ice time available in places like California and Arizona.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kashew posted:

Gotta be expensive to keep ice here in Cali, I guess. Figure the summer is like 95 every day. And last time I went, it was pretty hot and the ice was still nice.

That is the good thing though. I've heard people from Canada and other traditional hockey markets say that the ice here is better than at home, since the rinks here need to have really good insulation and cooling systems to maintain the sheets during the summer. Also, a lot of places up north don't keep their sheets year around, so while it does cost more to play out here, there are some advantages.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aniki posted:

That is the good thing though. I've heard people from Canada and other traditional hockey markets say that the ice here is better than at home, since the rinks here need to have really good insulation and cooling systems to maintain the sheets during the summer. Also, a lot of places up north don't keep their sheets year around, so while it does cost more to play out here, there are some advantages.

My sheets (northern CA) don't completely freeze til the second period. It's awesome.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My sheets (northern CA) don't completely freeze til the second period. It's awesome.

How much are you paying to play in your part of NorCal?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Team fee is like $9k+ per season.

Stick time is $12 for 60 mins, or $18 for 90 I think. They just bumped it up by a couple bucks. I'm not sure how much drop-in is though. Pretty sure it's another buck or two more expensive than stick time.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Team fee is like $9.2k per season.

Stick time is $12 for 60 mins, or $18 for 90 I think. They just bumped it up by a couple bucks. I'm not sure how much drop-in is though. Pretty sure it's another buck or two more expensive than stick time.

:stare:

How many games is that?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

23 (+2/3 for playoffs) for the longer fall/winter season. I think the spring/summer one is 18 (+playoffs) games? Can't remember off the top of my head how much the team fee was, but I just cut a check for $450 for it.

450 * I think we have 17 players rostered, so $7650, give or take.

Yay for being the only rink with leagues in the Sacramento area!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Gah, seeing those figures just makes me cringe. The rink around the corner from me (around 20 minutes outside of St. Louis) charges $8 for stick and puck for 2 full hours. Drop-in is the same amount of time but I think it's $7.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
What the hell? I pay $10 for 2 hours of drop in for roller. Without Ice.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Yeah I think both ice stick time and pick up are $8 for 2 hours here. Inline pickup is $8 for 4 hours, which apparently no one ever pays for since the entrance for this rink is like 100 yards from the front desk and no one that works there feels like walking and checking if people paid. Pittsburgh

dms666 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 23, 2012

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

23 (+2/3 for playoffs) for the longer fall/winter season. I think the spring/summer one is 18 (+playoffs) games? Can't remember off the top of my head how much the team fee was, but I just cut a check for $450 for it.

450 * I think we have 17 players rostered, so $7650, give or take.

Yay for being the only rink with leagues in the Sacramento area!

drat....its $4k per team for a 12 game season with a 4 team playoff here.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Detroit area--dont know of a drop in longer than 90 minutes, cheaper than $8. I also skate at a private drop-in every Sunday for $15.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Our drop-in is $10 for 90 minutes or two hours, it varies.

$6000/team for 26 games + playoffs.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
Did I mention at this $15 per 75 minutes pick-up hockey they require you to call that morning to pre-register and leave a credit card number for them to charge?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
$5.50 for 2 hours of drop in

$5.50 for 6 hours of stick and puck.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kashew posted:

Did I mention at this $15 per 75 minutes pick-up hockey they require you to call that morning to pre-register and leave a credit card number for them to charge?

It's 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on the rink here. I take it that your rink had trouble with no shows, so requiring people to pre-register and provide payment information is just a way to ensure that people who don't show up are fined. With some rinks here, they don't take any pre-registration, so it's first come/first serve and with goalie spots at the Ice Den, I usually call ahead, but only because they limit to the first four goalies and if I'm taking off work to play, then I want to make sure that I am going to get ice time.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

D C posted:

$5.50 for 2 hours of drop in

$5.50 for 6 hours of stick and puck.

:frogout:

Aniki posted:

It's 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on the rink here. I take it that your rink had trouble with no shows, so requiring people to pre-register and provide payment information is just a way to ensure that people who don't show up are fined. With some rinks here, they don't take any pre-registration, so it's first come/first serve and with goalie spots at the Ice Den, I usually call ahead, but only because they limit to the first four goalies and if I'm taking off work to play, then I want to make sure that I am going to get ice time.

The other lovely thing is there's three skill levels of pick-up and they arbitrarily determine how good you are...I'm not that great so how am I supposed to get better? I was playing with college, junior, and minor league players back home but here I have to play with the beginners.

Kashew fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 22, 2012

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
$25 for open hockey here in NYC. $20 for stick and puck that's like an hour and a half.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

$15 for an hour of drop-in.

At Vacaville it's $12 for 90 minutes of ST and $15 for 90 minutes of drop-in. I've been playing there more often lately (it's closer to me anyway)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 22, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, that's over an hour from me :(

If I had a few spare millions of dollars laying around, I'd totally open another rink.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
My local community centre's drop-in hockey is $4.50 for 1 hour and a half. :canada:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pay $20 for two hours, but I learn hockey from the Chris Chelios' cousin.

Seriously, he throws that name around like confetti. Is a decent guy though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bigmike posted:

Do you ever miss the entire target? Do pucks deflect off the post or crossbar and go off in crazy directions? I was thinking about getting one but I'm in a townhouse complex and I really couldn't have pucks missing the thing entirely.

If you pop it off of the post it's going to shoot way the gently caress away. I shoot at an elementary school and a puck off the post at the right angle will go 2-3 basketball courts away with roll. I can't shoot near any sort of car for fear of hitting it or it rolling and hitting something and jumping up.

I actually lost a few pucks on top of the gym from hitting the top of the crossbar. I bought 50 pucks and have run through a bunch...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
$10-15 for pickup/stick. Free as the goalie! There is a 3 hour public skate for $10, and a 2 hour pick for $15.

Also, how do I get the wooden extender out of my stick? I tried a hair dryer and it did not work.

vvv Edit: Thanks!

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 23, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You'll need a heat gun. Hair dryers don't get hot enough unless you have a powerful one. You can get one for like 10 or 15 bucks and are sold at hardware stores. If you don't feel like doing that, I'd just take it to a local pro shop and have them do it. They'll most likely do it for free.

edit: If you do go heat gun, keep it on a low setting. Mine has 3 settings, and I use the lowest, 250F, and that gets hot enough to get the job done usually pretty quickly, within a minute or two. Don't keep the heat on too long or get it too hot, because that can damage the stick. I learned that the hard way.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can also use your stovetop. I use mine to attach my blades.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You can also use your stovetop. I use mine to attach my blades.
Be careful with doing this if you have a composite stick. An open flame on a composite stick can easily damage it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

shyguy posted:

Be careful with doing this if you have a composite stick. An open flame on a composite stick can easily damage it.

I do have a composite stick- I read that it was easy to warp/crack them if you aren't careful. I think the heat gun sounds more controllable so I'll swing down to the hardware store and grab one.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I haven't had a game for two weeks but I've been to a few drop-in sessions and we never had more than 1-2 subs per team so I was doing 5-6 minute shifts. I'm actually pretty excited now for my game Sunday and a longish bench, I'm gonna skate so drat hard.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Stick time is like $8 here.

Pickup is $7-10 depending on where you go; it's $7 at one rink that only has it at noon on monday and thursday; everywhere else is $10.

Pittsburgh.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Look Around You posted:

Stick time is like $8 here.

Pickup is $7-10 depending on where you go; it's $7 at one rink that only has it at noon on monday and thursday; everywhere else is $10.

Pittsburgh.

Where are you doing 8$ stick times? I used to play in Delmont, but now I play in North Kittaning, Warrendale, Rostravor, and sometimes Castle Shannon. (These are all places around Pittsburgh for anyone who is confused)

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Where are you doing 8$ stick times? I used to play in Delmont, but now I play in North Kittaning, Warrendale, Rostravor, and sometimes Castle Shannon. (These are all places around Pittsburgh for anyone who is confused)

Neville Island has $8, not sure where else, Cranberry is $10

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Benson Cunningham posted:

I do have a composite stick- I read that it was easy to warp/crack them if you aren't careful. I think the heat gun sounds more controllable so I'll swing down to the hardware store and grab one.

I grabbed one for like $20 at the local hardware store, two heat settings 700-1100. I use the highest heat and it takes like 5 minutes max to ensure proper repair.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So, there is a small chance I'll be moving to N. Cali, Orange County. How far is that from some of you N. Cali players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
All winter my local rink is running stick and puck from 9am to 3pm for 9 bucks the whole day if you like. Too bad my teammates and I are all working stiffs who don't have free time until 5pm.

Game tonight against a team that should have moved up to the next league two years ago. Goddamn I hope we get a point.