Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you sear the crap out of a thing with spices rubbed all over it all you'll end up doing is burn said spices and/or pepper spray yourself. I'd just salt the beef liberally then sear like mad. Once done, reduce heat to medium, add the onion and garlic to the pan, and caramelize slowly. It's important to do this slowly because the brown bits from the beef will be teetering on the edge of burnt, you don't want them to go over. Once the alliums are lightly caramelized add the fresh ground spices to the oil and heat through lightly. If you are able, try not to use generic "chile powder," try and find some whole dried chiles like californias, guajillos, or anchos, and supply some heat with some arbols, japones, or pequins and grind fresh in a spice grinder. Next, deglaze with a cheap Mexican beer or tequila or even just water and a bit of lime juice and add all the wet ingredients (I'd skip the tomato paste, it doesn't really add anything in this recipe). Replace all of the beefs, add a bay leaf or two, and add just enough water or beef stock to cover, then cover the pot and let simmer on low for 4 hours or so. I wouldn't transfer to a crock pot, all you're doing is dirtying more crap that you'll have to clean later. Just put the pot on the back burner and let it simmer on low. About one hour out, remove the lid and let the sauce start to reduce. Stir every 10 min. When the desired consistency is reached, taste for salt. Finish with some fresh minced cilantro.

Thanks for this, I didn't think about the spices burning.

Would it be weird to throw in some black beans to the mixture to cook at the same time or is that just me being lazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Speaking of brewing, I've been making mead in a home setup for the last few months. It smells nice, looks clear and there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but how do I not kill myself when I finally try it?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cowcatcher posted:

Speaking of brewing, I've been making mead in a home setup for the last few months. It smells nice, looks clear and there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but how do I not kill myself when I finally try it?

Make sure to breathe through your nose when drinking and you should avoid killing yourself through drowning.

Unless you mean is it safe for human consumption. There is certainly some risk with anything home brewed, but as long as you followed proper cleaning and safe handling procedures, you should be OK. If it looks and smells OK, you're probably going to be fine. You're not making moonshine, so the chance of going blind is slightly less.

When the time is right, take a sample. If it smells bad, don't drink it. If it smells OK, but tastes funny, don't finish it. Start over. Looks good, smells good, tastes good? Probably OK.

Best advice is to check in the home brewing thread.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Any good corned beef recipes out there someone could share for St. Patty's?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Vander posted:

Any good corned beef recipes out there someone could share for St. Patty's?

At this point, if you wanted to corn a beef for st patty's you should have started a week ago. It takes a week for the nitrates to cure the thick slab of brisket. I've done this one: http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/ it's very good.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

GrAviTy84 posted:

At this point, if you wanted to corn a beef for st patty's you should have started a week ago. It takes a week for the nitrates to cure the thick slab of brisket. I've done this one: http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/ it's very good.

Ah. So those ones with the packets of spices I see in the store that say they only need a few hours won't be what I'm looking for?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Vander posted:

Ah. So those ones with the packets of spices I see in the store that say they only need a few hours won't be what I'm looking for?

oh, you wanted a recipe for a ready to cook food product? what? Put in water, boil till tender, add veggies like cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. This stuff is on the package and will give you an edible corned beef. Corning your OTOH own will give you magical corned beef.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
If you're talking about using already corned corned beef, I learned about this recipe today for corned beef bao that I am determined to attempt with our St Patty's Leftovers.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vander posted:

If you buy something like a "corned beef brisket" at the supermarket that has a seasoning packet attached to it, then it has already been brined for you in that vacuum sealed packet. The simplest method is to just dump that in a big pot with that packet, add enough water to cover it, bring it to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cook it for 3 - 4 hours. In the last 45 minutes you add the other veggies, then some cabbage.

I just sear it then just put it in a crock pot with some white wine and chicken stock, myself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Charmmi posted:

If you're talking about using already corned corned beef, I learned about this recipe today for corned beef bao that I am determined to attempt with our St Patty's Leftovers.
gently caress yeah! I made dumplings and eggrolls last year.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Wroughtirony posted:

Irish-by-way-of-Boston folks don't use nitrates. "Grey corned beef" is a delicacy only available around St. Patrick's day.

poo poo. I just remembered how much goddamn Dropkick Murphies I'm going to be subjected to this weekend.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 16, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Irish-by-way-of-Boston folks don't use nitrates. "Grey corned beef" is a delicacy only available around St. Patrick's day.

I corned a beef a few years ago- it was fun and turned out great. Very easy to do. But Grav is right- you have to start it last week for it to be ready for the holiday.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Ok, thanks all. I'll get the quick brisket today and try the home- made in the future to see what I was missing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Thanks for this, I didn't think about the spices burning.

Would it be weird to throw in some black beans to the mixture to cook at the same time or is that just me being lazy?

As a taco purist, I think tacos should have meat, salsa verde or roja, onions, cilantro, and maybe a crumbly cheese like cotija. Beans are a side dish. I'd just soak the beans overnight, sautee some garlic, maybe sautee up some garlic and minced onions in a few tbsp of bacon drippings or lard until translucent then add some fresh ground cumin. Then add the beans and cover with an inch of water or better: chicken stock. Cook until tender. You can just do this in your slow cooker if you wish, the caramelized flavors aren't as important for this dish. Check every 30 min or so for liquid level and add more if it drops below the bean level. Once tender, taste for salt. Then you can serve as is or you can mash up and serve as refried black beans.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Unless you mean is it safe for human consumption. There is certainly some risk with anything home brewed, but as long as you followed proper cleaning and safe handling procedures, you should be OK. If it looks and smells OK, you're probably going to be fine. You're not making moonshine, so the chance of going blind is slightly less.
There is a zero percent chance of going blind from homemade moonshine unless you dump one of the components in your eye or your still explodes. That's a pervasive myth from when folks were adding nasty poo poo into their mixture instead of properly distilling alcohol. They'd deliberately add methanol (wood alcohol) because it was cheap and then it would do its merry dance on your optic nerve.

Straight up home distillation (which you can do in a freezer) doesn't create methanol as a byproduct.

Cowcatcher - CzarChasm's advice is sound - sniff your resulting fermented brew. If it smells like death then don't drink it. If it smells like gross, homebrew mead and gives you a wicked buzz and then a worse hangover after you pass it out at your nearest SCA event then you've made it exactly right.

If it's somehow a delicately flavored honey wine with a strong honey scent and reasonable alcohol content then you went and screwed it up. Bleah. You might as well bottle that poo poo up and send it to me for disposal. :v:

CzarChasm posted:

Make sure to breathe through your nose when drinking and you should avoid killing yourself through drowning.
I laughed pretty hard at this. Hahahha.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I was mostly concerned about any mold growing in there (it's been sitting for 4 months now), but since I can't see anything I'm gonna break it out in a few days and post a picture in the homebrew thread. This is my first try with brewing anything, so I'm extra paranoid.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

There is a zero percent chance of going blind from homemade moonshine unless you dump one of the components in your eye or your still explodes. That's a pervasive myth from when folks were adding nasty poo poo into their mixture instead of properly distilling alcohol. They'd deliberately add methanol (wood alcohol) because it was cheap and then it would do its merry dance on your optic nerve.

Straight up home distillation (which you can do in a freezer) doesn't create methanol as a byproduct.

Cowcatcher - CzarChasm's advice is sound - sniff your resulting fermented brew. If it smells like death then don't drink it. If it smells like gross, homebrew mead and gives you a wicked buzz and then a worse hangover after you pass it out at your nearest SCA event then you've made it exactly right.

If it's somehow a delicately flavored honey wine with a strong honey scent and reasonable alcohol content then you went and screwed it up. Bleah. You might as well bottle that poo poo up and send it to me for disposal. :v:

I laughed pretty hard at this. Hahahha.

It is possible to produce methanol by accident. It's pretty easy to prevent or detect, but it's not strictly the result of adulterating your product.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IIRC, you cannot make methanol by fermentation. Since he is making mead, this is not a worry at all.

If it smells like a band aid, like wet socks, or has mold toss it. If it tastes like a band aid or wet socks, toss it. If not, "Relax! Don't Worry! Have a Homebrew!"

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

IIRC, you cannot make methanol by fermentation. Since he is making mead, this is not a worry at all.

If it smells like a band aid, like wet socks, or has mold toss it. If it tastes like a band aid or wet socks, toss it. If not, "Relax! Don't Worry! Have a Homebrew!"

you're right- I didn't read carefully. wine (rarely) or distillation are the main culprits with methanol.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Wroughtirony posted:

I've never seen this available anywhere, but the one time I was in Boston in March was several days after St. Pat's, so I guess that's probably why.

I think my issues with cured pork products (indigestion like wow) might be from the nitrates. When I cure my own I just use salt and spices, and I don't have any heartburn.

How does everybody like to cook theirs? I usually go with a crock pot full of beer. I simmered it in water the first time I made it from scratch and it turned out okay, but a lot less interesting than stout-simmered.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RazorBunny posted:

I've never seen this available anywhere, but the one time I was in Boston in March was several days after St. Pat's, so I guess that's probably why.

I think my issues with cured pork products (indigestion like wow) might be from the nitrates. When I cure my own I just use salt and spices, and I don't have any heartburn.

How does everybody like to cook theirs? I usually go with a crock pot full of beer. I simmered it in water the first time I made it from scratch and it turned out okay, but a lot less interesting than stout-simmered.

I cheat with a brisket that comes pre packaged, but I toss out that sad little packet and toss in my own spices (Bay leaves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, all spice, marjoram, thyme). Usually throw it in the crock with enough water to cover the meat, toss in a few potatoes and a lot of onions. Maybe this year I'll put in some beer and a few garlic cloves.

Leftovers are going into dumplings with kraut, swiss and thousand island. Not original, but should taste good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Do you eat celery? Cabbage? Spinach? These have very high levels of nitrates. So much so that they are often used in "no nitrates added" foods so that those foods can say "no nitrates added" but still be safe to eat (i.e. botulism). Nitrates are necessary in order for long cured meats like ham and salame to be non toxic. For something like a bacon or a corned beef, where the cure times are on the scale of 1 week and the food will be cooked this is not that big of a deal. However for things like salames which go for a month, to hams which go up to 2 years and which will be consumed raw, truly being nitrate free is just begging for botulism poisoning.

Funny thing about "no nitrate added" foods, they will actually have more nitrates in them from "natural sources" than ones conventionally made with nitrates.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

It is possible to produce methanol by accident. It's pretty easy to prevent or detect, but it's not strictly the result of adulterating your product.

I misremembered a Dept. of Ag pamphlet I was reading when thinking about doing some home distilling. There is methanol present in small amounts during the distillation process but is easily handled (chuck the first bit of crap out of the still). This link http://homedistiller.org/intro/methanol/methanol has a bunch more helpful info.

I guess it's like anything - if you follow sensible precautions and read the directions it's pretty safe. If you are bound and determined to hurt yourself then you'll find a way.

Oh, I read up on the US Code regarding home stills and it seems they are really mad if you have an *unregistered* still. Unfortunately the BATF has a bunch of provisions on what constitutes a legitimate, registered distillation plant and they will bury you in paperwork and tedious taxes and fees. http://homedistiller.org/intro/legal has a good rundown on all the nonsense involved. The short version is that it's not economically feasible to set yourself up as a hobbyist distiller unless you want to face some serious fines and other legal hassles if you get caught.

Trying to do this legitimately requires a few grand in investment, an appropriate location for the still, lots of paperwork and :effort: for what should be a fun little hobby.

On the other hand, I work with a lot of folks in the are as part of my job and I am terrified at the thought of most of them having a giant booze-fueled bomb in their homes. They can't figure out how to send an email, how in the hell are they going to know that when the overpressure valve kicks on this is a *bad* thing and KABOOOOM - redneck chunks everywhere.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
It is called Moonshine as it is made under the light of the moon, somewhere not in your house or near any structure you care about. I have also seen some pretty nice looking stills for sale at larger gunshows, sold as "water purifiers".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Do you eat celery? Cabbage? Spinach? These have very high levels of nitrates. So much so that they are often used in "no nitrates added" foods so that those foods can say "no nitrates added" but still be safe to eat (i.e. botulism). Nitrates are necessary in order for long cured meats like ham and salame to be non toxic. For something like a bacon or a corned beef, where the cure times are on the scale of 1 week and the food will be cooked this is not that big of a deal. However for things like salames which go for a month, to hams which go up to 2 years and which will be consumed raw, truly being nitrate free is just begging for botulism poisoning.

Funny thing about "no nitrate added" foods, they will actually have more nitrates in them from "natural sources" than ones conventionally made with nitrates.

I don't eat any of those things in very large quantities, so I don't know if I have the same issues with them.

I'm not one of those people who freaks out over "additives," I just noticed that store-bought cured pork gives me heartburn and fresh pork products or ones I cure myself don't. I suppose it could be any number of things unrelated to nitrates, that just seemed like the most obvious thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bunnielab posted:

It is called Moonshine as it is made under the light of the moon, somewhere not in your house or near any structure you care about. I have also seen some pretty nice looking stills for sale at larger gunshows, sold as "water purifiers".

I should point out that "distilled water" is very useful around the ranch.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I posted this in the other thread but hey...here you go again :P Its for a baked corned beef with mustard, cloves and brown sugar, and sauteed cabbage/onion/garlic. Its a favorite at our house.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/corned_beef_and_cabbage/

If you need to use the pre-made corned beef this is a nice variation on it. I have been using it a while and its fantastic. I bet it would be even better with a homemade corned beef too.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 17, 2012

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
I'm going to be trying out this corned beef and cabbage recipe today. The amber beer, mustard, brown sugar, and molasses sold me.

http://allrecipes.com/customrecipe/62690889/corned-beef-and-cabbage-i/detail.aspx

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I should point out that "distilled water" is very useful around the ranch.

Also when Obama finally reviles he is a secret Muslim and bans ham and booze, brave patriots like myself can be already poised to begin the resistance.

It goes without saying that you should really make some sort of Anne Frank like hiding space for your pigs before the Blue Helmets come for them.

When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on a joint of Jamón ibérico?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

bunnielab posted:

How you gonna come?

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
I'm eatin' corned beefy errynight

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Because of general indecisiveness I now have a 2lbs. slb of uncooked corned beef. It looks alot like a big chop, and since it isn't thick like a roast I don't want to boil it. Any ideas for preparation?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

Because of general indecisiveness I now have a 2lbs. slb of uncooked corned beef. It looks alot like a big chop, and since it isn't thick like a roast I don't want to boil it. Any ideas for preparation?

Truss it up and then braise it.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but... I bought a whole chicken (vacuum packed) and it's been in my freezer for a while - the sell-by date is Nov 7, 2010. Is this worth using or should I toss it?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Halalelujah posted:

Do you have access to a smoker?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bunnielab posted:

Also when Obama finally reviles he is a secret Muslim and bans ham and booze, brave patriots like myself can be already poised to begin the resistance.

It goes without saying that you should really make some sort of Anne Frank like hiding space for your pigs before the Blue Helmets come for them.

How you gonna come?

They can crush us
They can bruise us
but they'll have to answer to
Ooh.....oooh, the hams and bacon.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

What's the best cut of steak to use for making jerky?

I've previously used stewing steak, which came out delicious. I tried sirloin once, on an Internet recommendation, but that just didn't taste as good. I'm way overdue for making some jerky!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any tips on chillies. I grew some from seeds and have no idea what chillies they actually are. Here's a photo:

Do these look like the same species? I guess the leaves would suggest so, it's just the green one is by far the oldest; it's been that size and colour for a couple of months now, and the small ones turned red about a week ago.

Is it time to pick them yet?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The one on the left looks like a jalapeno to me. They go red if they stay on the plant too long, but I don't remember them tasting different. Weird, the ones on the right are stunted, the one on the left looks fine.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

aricoarena posted:

Do you have access to a smoker?

No, probably just going to braise it

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The one on the left looks like a jalapeno to me. They go red if they stay on the plant too long, but I don't remember them tasting different. Weird, the ones on the right are stunted, the one on the left looks fine.

Oh awesome thanks, I'll pick them today! I have a feeling I know why the ones on the right are stunted. Originally I had 4 in that pot, and separated two out and inevitably massacred their roots so they've probably spent a couple of months recovering from that trauma. Thanks for the identification!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Halalelujah posted:

No, probably just going to braise it
You can rig a smoker in a wok.

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to do it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
On the corned beef question. Having never eaten the stuff because its impossible to get it here unless its tinned which looks amazingly wrong, I'm going to make some myself. How long will it last after the cure/boiling?