Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
When Gigi said "he's technically her dad" it's more of a joke saying 'Hey, no actual romance going on here. The relationship is more complex than that."
I don't believe Gigi is trying to depict a specific analogue to a real world relationship we can relate them to, be it familial or romantic. This, to me, is two relationships in one depending on whose eyes we look through. NK seems to want this evil world domination thing to end and just be buds while RM seems to want to get her dad/boss/crush/whatever the victory she thinks he deserves. It's part of a vague trend that seems to be emerging. Splashmaster was a cartoonish bumbling sidekick straight out of a children's morning TV show. Noise and Mutemaster were somewhat more complex showing independent motivations and ideas rather than just following their leader blindly, the stuff of side-villains in teen/young adult fiction and Rosemaster ups the complexity further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

It was sorta true at some point, but has been retconned. The Disaster Masters are just NK's underlings. His only child is NK Jr.

I'm hoping Ludwig Von Knightmaster rides the Nightmare Clown Car.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Waffleman_ posted:

Gigi has made it clear that Noisemaster is loving dead. Like, in the ground stone cold dead.

[Citation needed]

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Popo posted:

When Gigi said "he's technically her dad" it's more of a joke saying 'Hey, no actual romance going on here. The relationship is more complex than that."
I don't believe Gigi is trying to depict a specific analogue to a real world relationship we can relate them to, be it familial or romantic. This, to me, is two relationships in one depending on whose eyes we look through. NK seems to want this evil world domination thing to end and just be buds while RM seems to want to get her dad/boss/crush/whatever the victory she thinks he deserves. It's part of a vague trend that seems to be emerging. Splashmaster was a cartoonish bumbling sidekick straight out of a children's morning TV show. Noise and Mutemaster were somewhat more complex showing independent motivations and ideas rather than just following their leader blindly, the stuff of side-villains in teen/young adult fiction and Rosemaster ups the complexity further.

If she doesn't literally mean that "dysfunctional sort of kids" is the interpretation we're meant to take, that's fine. I don't care what their relationship is, I'm just trying to provide a bit of criticism of her writing in that she shouldn't be surprised if people take a romantic interpretation away from the text because well...the text kind of provides ample support for such a reading. We're not talking about Avatar: The Last Airbender "ZUKO WAS NICE TO KATARA ONCE THEREFORE LOVE". Most people don't read her Twitter, so they're just gonna go by the text and I don't think "basically his kids" is a read that's particularly well supported for any of the Disaster Masters. Maybe Splashmaster?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

[Citation needed]

quote:

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/504820426984284161

Gigi Orb
‏@gigideegee
"gigi you must really hate noisemaster huh" no he's fine he's just dead

10:39 PM - 27 Aug 2014

quote:

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/504414908293709824

Gigi Orb
‏@gigideegee
http://puu.sh/b9jqu/5a49860dad.png … noisemaster's dead

7:47 PM - 26 Aug 2014

quote:

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/504139770453192704

@gigideegee
noisemaster

*leans in*

doesn't use twitter because he's dead

1:34 AM - 26 Aug 2014

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Those are quite obviously jokes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

the wildest rear end posted:

Those are quite obviously jokes.

Look at this nerd, can't take being crushed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The obvious sarcasm of those twitter posts aside, why would anyone believe he's dead dead when he's been killed 99 times before? There is literally no in-text evidence to suggest any kind of abnormal finality.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hidden in every future update is a secret wall covering a panel that reads "DOPEFISH NOISEMASTER LIVES"

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Noisemaster is dead just like that clown

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Noisemaster's dead, and he's not coming back until the boss rush.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Noisemaster's dead, and he's not coming back until the boss rush.

And the True Arena. IT'S YA BOY, NOISEMASTER EX!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wonder how she'd recolor Noisemaster's costume for that. Usually you go more garish, but...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder how she'd recolor Noisemaster's costume for that. Usually you go more garish, but...

He swaps with Mutemaster.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

The obvious sarcasm of those twitter posts aside, why would anyone believe he's dead dead when he's been killed 99 times before? There is literally no in-text evidence to suggest any kind of abnormal finality.

Substantial overlap with Gunnerkrigg readership

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Noisemaster's death was pretty hilarious because his goal that he gave so much to achieve was killing everyone in Trebleopolis. It's like a mad gunman bursting into a room, only his gun jams, and he is so depressed by his failure, he just dies right there. And then everyone feels bad for him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's cucumber quest tho so nobody would actually die they'd just have their town blow up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
His entire existence in life is predetermined. He tried to shake things up and break the literally endless monotony, and discovered that even when he does the best he can, there's nothing he can do to change his fate. So he simply gives up.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Tollymain posted:

it's cucumber quest tho so nobody would actually die they'd just have their town blow up

Oh, sure, it's the Paper Mario/Sailor Moon aesthetic where towns are "destroyed" and any deaths are accompanied with baroque monologues, but Rosemaster is believed to have killed the royal family of Flower Kingdom, so there is some implicit lethality for the sake of tension with the Disaster Masters. Still makes his dramatic ending really comic, though.

Noisemaster's the biggest clown of the chapter (because he is dead)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Precambrian posted:

Noisemaster's death was pretty hilarious because his goal that he gave so much to achieve was killing everyone in Trebleopolis. It's like a mad gunman bursting into a room, only his gun jams, and he is so depressed by his failure, he just dies right there. And then everyone feels bad for him.

That analogy doesn't really work unless the gunman has busted in 99 times before and there's always been a hero to stop him. And everyone is fine with it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Potsticker posted:

That analogy doesn't really work unless the gunman has busted in 99 times before and there's always been a hero to stop him. And everyone is fine with it.

That only makes it funnier, really.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Nah it's more like he was a gunman busting in before, but this time he brought a bunch of lit dynamite.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Nah it's more like he was a gunman busting in before, but this time he brought a bunch of lit dynamite.

And his Mob Boss is right behind him, to blow out the fuse before it actually ignites.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
This metaphor, much like Noisemaster, is extremely dead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This thread, much like a collapsed candy store, is full of crushed nerds.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
:swoon:This chapter owns.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Now that is a face I can believe rules the Kingdom. Love the flower "tattoo" pattern on the Queen-not-in-the-traditional-sense as well.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
It's the Wall Street kingdom.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Business bunnymen! :3:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
So my apologies if this has already been noted, but I've been flipping through book 2 and finally registered that this page has the shadows of many of the Disaster Masters:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-188/

You can see Rosemaster, possibly Mutemaster behind Splashmaster?, what looks like either Noisemaster's speakers or maybe Glitchmaster's physical form, and what could possibly be the Sky Kingdom's Disaster Master, the figure that looks as though it is expelling smoke out of the top of its head. Smogmaster maybe?

Anyway, I thought it was cool.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Mr. R's lady friend has Doughnut Kingdom ears. Or maybe I'm just a nerd and need crushing for noticing a detail like that.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^^^^^

Someone asked Gigi about it and apparently she forgot to draw the tufts that signify Flower Kingdom. So you weren't the only one who noticed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is it just me or does "king" look like Brambleby with a bunch of fake crap stuck to his face?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is it just me or does "king" look like Brambleby with a bunch of fake crap stuck to his face?

On second look you are correct, but I did not notice at first. Those lips... :stwoon:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 6, 2014

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-532/

I hope this going to lead into some sort of competition format to select the new princess, "Flower Kingdom's Next Top Princess".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
WOW
We can't stop screaming!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Princess Tyra Banks! Make it happen, Gigi!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Oh my god Flower Kingdom is Fashion Kingdom. This chapter is going to look so pretty

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nautilius mysteriously disappeared from the banner and isn't with the group anymore

How spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tetracube posted:

Nautilius mysteriously disappeared from the banner and isn't with the group anymore

How spooky

She's not in today's comic either. If everybody who's anybody is there I guess that makes Nautilus nobody.

Nautilus is owned by Nobody, anyway