Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

tesilential posted:

Warning Phone posting-

I tie about a 4’ leader for general lure fishing. This gives me enough length to retie lures a half dozen times and still have a serviceable leader length. If the leader gets too short early in the day, I’ll retie a new leader. If it’s getting close to dark, I’ll just roll with a short leader. Keeping the leader at 4’ also allows me to cast with the leader knot out of the guides so I don’t premature wear the knot out or mess up the cast. I use canoe man’s loop knot for the lure; it’s super fast and easy to tie, uses so little leader you don’t need to trim the tag end, the tag end is weedless, the knot is strong. I use the Red Phillips knot for braid to fluoro connection, it’s easy and holds extremely well with leader under 60# (over that and the overhand knot in the braid won’t cinch completely and the “uni knot” braid parts can slide through with a big fish. Ask me how I know :sweatdrop: For 60# or heavier leader I switch to the crazy Alberto knot. For Tarpon I go to 7’ leader so their tails don’t smack the braid. For bottom fishing I go to shorter leader (because I lose them much more often, 1-3’ depending on the rig (Carolina vs dropper).

It's cool to hear how people do poo poo in fisheries completely different from mine. Thanks! Man, I don't even know what you'd need a 60 lb leader for up here, except barn door pacific halibut. Maybe trolling for Chinooks, but even then it seems pretty hefty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Speaking of learning new gear. I got a tapered braided nylon level line for my tenkara rod. I know nothing about fly fishing both regular or tenkara. My wife can fly fish quite well though.

I had a couple of super cheap flies and figured I'd rig up the pole for it and try casting around a bit to get the hang of it. We're going to spend a week on a lake in New Hampshire next week, so bringing one of these poles set up for fly and the other for a bobber and such to catch panfish.

I'm using this pole https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M5SL6N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this level line https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07288HRFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the loop at the end of the line I tied on a ~2' long piece of 4lb fluoro and tied that to my fly. Is that a decent enough way to set it up? Lengthwise for the rod and for my stream it was good.

Also, there's some kind of coating or paste I can put on the level line to make it float better yeah? What is that stuff called?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tried fishing again earlier this afternoon. Didn’t catch anything this time around, but I think that’s because I was fishing early in the afternoon as opposed to near dusk. I used minnows again and experimented with worms and nightcrawlers.

I would love to learn how to tie on a bobber. I bought a few the other day, but I’ve never used them because I don’t know how to put them on my line. The guy I talked to at the store told me to get these little sliding... leader... thingies for putting on bobbers, but I don’t remember any of the stuff he told me about how to use them.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 12, 2019

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I have a similar fishery as you and I'm curious about your borrowed rod. What makes it crappy? There is a Daiwa rod & reel combo (I want to say D-Shock 2500) at Fred Meyer that will do most of what you want to do for less than $40. I think getting one of those and using it a lot will help you narrow down what you're looking for in a specialized, more expensive rod. The fish do not care how much you spend on tackle.

Rate my grocery store haul! I grabbed the D-Shock 2000 for $26.99, along with some line and the first lure I’ve ever purchased. I’ve only used marshmallows and worms before.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I. M. Gei posted:

Tried fishing again earlier this afternoon. Didn’t catch anything this time around, but I think that’s because I was fishing early in the afternoon as opposed to near dusk. I used minnows again and experimented with worms and nightcrawlers.

I would love to learn how to tie on a bobber. I bought a few the other day, but I’ve never used them because I don’t know how to put them on my line. The guy I talked to at the store told me to get these little sliding... leader... thingies for putting on bobbers, but I don’t remember any of the stuff he told me about how to use them.

I've kind of been invested in your progress because it's great fun to see someone starting from scratch, learning, and getting excited about their / your hobby. So glad you caught your fish.

I've never had a lot of knowledge about fishing. I grew up doing it, but the only things I learned from grandpa were how to tie a couple of knots, how to use an 80's fish finder, and that most any fish is interested in a worm. Everything else I've had to teach myself, and I consider my level of knowledge to be pretty basic. That being said, I'd like to offer some advice about your rigging if that's okay. (also if anyone thinks I'm full of poo poo and passing bad information then please chime in)

I see that you've got your hook attached directly to your snap. I've seen it before and you can definitely catch fish that way, but it has a couple of issues. One is that some fish might see the snap and get spooked. The other is that those snaps are designed to fail if too much force is put on them, so that you just lose your terminal rig instead of breaking off a ton of line if you get snagged. Having the hook attached to the snap directly allows the fish to exert force directly onto the latch, which could pop the snap.

The way I do it is to tie a leader to the hook which terminates in a non-slip loop. You can also buy pre-snelled hooks which already have a mono lead and a loop. Then you attach the loop to the snap, which provides some shock absorption and does not allow the fish to apply pressure on the mechanism directly. Here's a good non-slip loop.

Re: bobbers, they're talking about slip bobbers, a float that slides up and down your line. You set the depth by tying on a bobber stop. There are simpler kinds of bobbers to use, though. They're less versatile but easier to attach and adjust. here's a video that shows the two most common and how to rig them. It's pretty simple, you'll be able to figure it out.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I. M. Gei posted:

They're called slip bobbers and they rule so much, I love fishing finicky walleye in snaggy areas with them. You can launch a leech on a jig 30 feet from the boat and set it exactly 7 feet down over 8 feet and slowly pop it back while everyone else is busy getting snagged under the boat. The great for crappie and bluegill and anything else that tends to be shallow and finicky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQIqe9RVFwM

efb

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

This might be a dumb question...

as a bank/shore fisherman, how do you know how deep to set it or how deep the water is without some sort of sonar thingy?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the leader explanations, maybe I'll pick up some braid and fluoro after I run out of the mono that's on my reel now (shouldn't take long at the rate that I snag/get bored of whatever I have tied on)

Here's the yak I put together out of mostly stuff that belongs to my inlaws (including the kayak itself) and a few things I bought on Amazon. I don't know how much they paid for the kayak but I think it must have been pretty cheap and on sale because they bought a pair of them for their grandkids to use when they're up here (which is basically never because they all moved far away :(). It's a FutureBeach 8.6 (8'6").

I added the dog leash anchor with a 3lbs weight i stole from my wife yesterday, it works pretty well! I'd like to find a more stable way to attach the crate to the back, it kind of halfway falls into the little indent there unless it's perfectly balanced so I might want to attach something along the bottom rear of the crate that's a bit wider just so it fits all the way across. I was also thinking of cutting some small indents towards the front of the crate at the top just for the cord to slot into so it doesn't slide around as much. I need to confirm with my inlaws that they don't care if I go hog wild on this thing and if that's the case I'm going to buy a rivet tool and add some side handles, a paddle holder, and maybe one of those front mount rod holders. I also would love to figure out a solution for my tools because right now they just sit in that cup holder which is like 1" deep and doesn't work. If anyone has suggestions for how to trick this baby out I'm all ears. I also might just cave and buy a cheapo sit-on-top like the Pelican Sentinel 100x angler if I can ever find one on sale.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ghostnuke posted:

as a bank/shore fisherman, how do you know how deep to set it or how deep the water is without some sort of sonar thingy?

Cast a weight and count off how long it takes to get a general idea. If you cast the bobber and it's sitting on bottom, the bobber will lay flat in the water because it doesn't go up to the stopper so then reel it in and move the stop down a couple feet and repeat.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's cool to hear how people do poo poo in fisheries completely different from mine. Thanks! Man, I don't even know what you'd need a

60 lb leader for up here, except barn door pacific halibut. Maybe trolling for Chinooks, but even then it seems pretty hefty.

Same man! Although the knots and leader length theories will work anywhere

Ghostnuke posted:

You can wade it to see where drop off is. Also check google earth and free navionics web app. Some areas are mapped out in 1’ depth increments.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Since the thread is talking about lines and knots, these dudes are always a good source of info. They trend heavily toward the higher end, but a ton of their info is still super useful and they do try to make sure and offer more normal human options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1CAvfXHmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqU2RCWFDlM

Edit: I may start trying to tie the blood knot for my leader knot. It looks way easier to tie than a fg knot on the water and just as slim.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 12, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:siren:I will be pouring lead this weekend, so please contact me if you'd like anything:siren: Spreadsheet here

TheManWithNoName posted:

Rate my grocery store haul! I grabbed the D-Shock 2000 for $26.99, along with some line and the first lure I’ve ever purchased. I’ve only used marshmallows and worms before.

Ya done good, kid! That will catch just about any freshwater fish available to you, and quite a few saltwater species as well. Lures can be frustrating to get the hang of, but once you get a little success you can dial it in. They can be really effective ways to fish, but sometimes the only thing that fish want is a nightcrawler. PM me and I'll send you some starter kit tackle if you'd like!

Elmnt80 posted:

Edit: I may start trying to tie the blood knot for my leader knot. It looks way easier to tie than a fg knot on the water and just as slim.

I switched from blood knots for leaders to double uni and have never looked back. If you haven't tried it, I highly encourage you to. By the time a double uni isn't appropriate for leaders I feel like you're in Bimini Twist country anyway.

Ghostnuke posted:

Definitely not a dumb question! It absolutely pays to research your lakes. Google Earth and other satellite imagery can be helpful to find obvious holes and sunken cover. Bathymetric maps are extremely handy, too! Google around and you can probably find some for your locals. I found this one for Green Lake and I wish I could get a print to frame:

Also, this doesn't do those of you in the (non-upper) midwest much good, but the NOAA has a shitload of nautical charts available for Great Lakes and saltwater.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

https://www.lurenet.com/thill-depth-finder-marker

We use these extensively when ice/boat fishing with a slip bobber setup. you slip your bobber stopper to a rough estimate of where the bottom is, then clip that weight to your hook. let line out until the weight hits the bottom and note how far under the bobber is. Then you can reel in and adjust the stopper to get the hook to the precise depth off the bottom you're looking for. eg. if your bobber is pulled two feet below the surface, that means when you take the weight off, the hook is two feet off the bottom.

It works super well when bait fishing walleye because theyre typically suspending a few feet off the bottom and you can dial your bait in to be right in front of their faces.

I've done this a couple times when bank fishing and it works reasonably well, as long as you're not casting very far and you're using a bobber setup. You can also forgo the clip on weight and just keep adjusting the stopper until your bobber is just standing. That'll be the depth of the water if the line is vertical.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I used to fish as a kid quite a bit, but it had been a good 15 years since I'd gone. Picked up a mustad pole last week and have been heading to the pond down the road nearly every day since. Hooked my first bass the first night I went out and I'm addicted. (I was less thrilled about the turtle I hooked, poor fella)

I only ever did float fishing as a lad, so I've picked up a few lures to experiment with. As I build up a little experience, I'm hoping to branch out from my little catch and release pond to the river system here in town.

I'm having a blast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hell yeah, nice bass! Welcome back to the hobby. :neckbeard: Many of us fished as kids and picked it back up as adults, so you're in good company. And you are also literally in good company, because fishing goons are the best goons and these are the least poo poo-up threads.

It's really cool to see so many new people posting in the fishing threads this year. I don't know if forums user Bong Wizzard still lurks these threads, but I know that he's responsible for at least a few of us getting back into it, who then have helped others get back into it. It's a shame that he doesn't post anymore. If you're reading this, Mssr. B. Wizzard, I hope that you got your stripers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

titties posted:

I see that you've got your hook attached directly to your snap. I've seen it before and you can definitely catch fish that way, but it has a couple of issues. One is that some fish might see the snap and get spooked. The other is that those snaps are designed to fail if too much force is put on them, so that you just lose your terminal rig instead of breaking off a ton of line if you get snagged. Having the hook attached to the snap directly allows the fish to exert force directly onto the latch, which could pop the snap.

The way I do it is to tie a leader to the hook which terminates in a non-slip loop. You can also buy pre-snelled hooks which already have a mono lead and a loop. Then you attach the loop to the snap, which provides some shock absorption and does not allow the fish to apply pressure on the mechanism directly. Here's a good non-slip loop.

I think I see what you’re saying. Would there happen to be a simpler non-slip loop I could do? I only ask because I want to be able to look at that animation you linked when I fish (it looks kinda tough to do by memory), but the place I fish at has really lovely wifi.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

:siren:I will be pouring lead this weekend, so please contact me if you'd like anything:siren: Spreadsheet here

Ya done good, kid! That will catch just about any freshwater fish available to you, and quite a few saltwater species as well. Lures can be frustrating to get the hang of, but once you get a little success you can dial it in. They can be really effective ways to fish, but sometimes the only thing that fish want is a nightcrawler. PM me and I'll send you some starter kit tackle if you'd like!

That would be awesome! Sending PM

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Speaking of tackle, anyone have a favorite piece of kit they wouldn't want to fish without? I've picked up a random assortment of stuff to play with so far. I need to see about getting a bag to carry stuff easier when I decide to start ranging along the riverside, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Gooch181 posted:

Speaking of tackle, anyone have a favorite piece of kit they wouldn't want to fish without? I've picked up a random assortment of stuff to play with so far. I need to see about getting a bag to carry stuff easier when I decide to start ranging along the riverside, too.

Trout Magnet. Those little jig kits have caught me more fish than anything other than live bait, and not just trout. I'm not a big fan of live bait since my local fish inhale it badly, but rubber worms and split tail soft plastic do serious work.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crab traps.

Because I’m lazy.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Trout Magnet. Those little jig kits have caught me more fish than anything other than live bait, and not just trout. I'm not a big fan of live bait since my local fish inhale it badly, but rubber worms and split tail soft plastic do serious work.

Trout magnets are 1/64 shad dart jigs. I can make those.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Blood knot is my favorite knot for similar line widths, such as tying two ends of braid together when you have to cut out a tangle, but it’s not often your main line will be similar thickness to your leader. I’d have to have like 50# braid and 20# fluoro/mono leader to use a blood knot as the leader knot. My biggest snook as caught late in season on braid with two blood knots in it, they held well. Great knot but basically for braid to braid. Fake edit: I also use it when connecting backing to main line as below.

Example rig, you can scale this up or down and keep the knots:

Spool to arbor knot to 10# mono to blood knot with 15# braid to red Phillips to 25# leader to canoe man’s loop to lure/hook.

I’ve posted about these knots ad nauseum in this thread, here are some links, give them a try! We used to sit around drinking and tying knots over and over until we aced them. I tied over 100 one night doing some testing. You can google which knots are strongest but the one you can tie correctly is the one you should use. People love the FG knot but mine has slipped the few times I tested it; I won’t fish it until I can’t break it on the bench.

Leader to braid, red Phillips knot
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo

Leader to lure/hook, canoe man’s loop
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loHBmCrT_-w

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I would be down for a set of either or both these and happy to pay for materials/freight/your time!

JFS-5-A
RHB-6-3812

tesilential fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 13, 2019

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

I think I see what you’re saying. Would there happen to be a simpler non-slip loop I could do? I only ask because I want to be able to look at that animation you linked when I fish (it looks kinda tough to do by memory), but the place I fish at has really lovely wifi.

Your fishing spot has WiFi? :stare:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Quadruple post!

Uni to uni is great. Red Phillips is basically a simpler version, uni to overhand (granny) knot. Braid is a uni and leader is a simple circle and pull the tag end through. Half the work, sane stability.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tesilential posted:

Not really. Sometimes you can get a page to come up if you’re lucky, but otherwise no. That’s why I said whatever’s there is really lovely.

Anyway I fished again late this afternoon and got skunked, as you say, but I did manage to get a couple of good bites toward the end that almost led to fish on the hook.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I threw lures for the first time tonight and caught a whole bunch of salad. I need a lot more practice!

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Kid and I had no luck on the back dock of the house we were at on the intercoastal. Hot dog pieces are poo poo because they won't stay on the hook of a beginner caster. Constantly kept flopping off.

That said, I tossed on a jig head with a white grub trailer and spend the time getting him to aim his casts and he was getting real good at it.

I think most fish of the back docks are small panfish types at are probably no bigger than 1-2" in length. I didn't attempt my late night bottom casting for eel using uncut shrimp.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I. M. Gei posted:

That one's a little complicated but here's the thing: sit down and pre-tie some hooks and lures while you're watching tv. Cut off like a 16 inch length of mono, tie your hook or lure on with an improved clinch knot or a rapala knot or whatever, and tie your loop on the free end.

Once you have several hooks and lures with this type of lead tied on you'll be able to tie the knot from memory and you'll have enough tackle rigged to last you a while.

here's a link to an instructional image that you can just save to your phone or whatever

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Trout magnets are 1/64 shad dart jigs. I can make those.

did my kit have these?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

did my kit have these?

They didn't, but I'm going to send you some. Once the lead is hot it's not much harder to make three or three dozen jigs. I'm going to send some removable split shot, too. Really handy poo poo, and maybe necessary for casting jigs as light as 1/64 oz.

tesilential posted:

I would be down for a set of either or both these and happy to pay for materials/freight/your time!

JFS-5-A
RHB-6-3812

You got it!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tesilential posted:

Fishing spots with a good 4g signal own. You can sit in the shade to take a break while calling pops to bs for a few minutes (rubbing it in that you're fishing and he isn't is always fun. :v:), take a drink, listen to some tunes, etc.

tesilential posted:

Blood knot is my favorite knot for similar line widths, such as tying two ends of braid together when you have to cut out a tangle, but it’s not often your main line will be similar thickness to your leader. I’d have to have like 50# braid and 20# fluoro/mono leader to use a blood knot as the leader knot. My biggest snook as caught late in season on braid with two blood knots in it, they held well. Great knot but basically for braid to braid. Fake edit: I also use it when connecting backing to main line as below.

Example rig, you can scale this up or down and keep the knots:

Spool to arbor knot to 10# mono to blood knot with 15# braid to red Phillips to 25# leader to canoe man’s loop to lure/hook.

I’ve posted about these knots ad nauseum in this thread, here are some links, give them a try! We used to sit around drinking and tying knots over and over until we aced them. I tied over 100 one night doing some testing. You can google which knots are strongest but the one you can tie correctly is the one you should use. People love the FG knot but mine has slipped the few times I tested it; I won’t fish it until I can’t break it on the bench.

Leader to braid, red Phillips knot
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo

Leader to lure/hook, canoe man’s loop
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loHBmCrT_-w

Right now I'm using a crazy alberto knot on my spinning setup that is 20lb daiwa j8 braid (6lb mono equiv) to 10lb seaguar blue label floro leader.
On my general use baitcasting setup I use an FG knot going from 30lb daiwa j8 braid (12lb mono equiv) to 20lb seaguar blue label floro leader.

So far I've only broken the alberto knot and it didn't slip, but actually broke in the center of the knot on a backswing. So far any breaks have happened in the leader itself. I make sure I can tie a knot securely before I use it, but I'm pretty sure I tied that alberto knot backwards which contributed to it popping. How I have those set up goes like this: straight braid to the spool secured with a double overhand knot and a 1 1/2"x3/8" piece of surgical tape, then down to a ~7ft leader secured with one of the knots mentioned above, and then variation of a clinch knot I've tied for years to the hook/lure.

I switched from blood knots for leaders to double uni and have never looked back. If you haven't tried it, I highly encourage you to. By the time a double uni isn't appropriate for leaders I feel like you're in Bimini Twist country anyway.

Double uni is just too big to slip through the mini guides on the rods I have smoothly. Its why I learned the alberto and FG knots I use now. Hell, even the alberto knot felt gnarly bumping through the guides on my baitcasting setup. The main reason I was looking at the blood knot is how slim it is combined with ease of tying while out fishing. Tying it sitting in a house/garage is one thing. On a moving boat or on the bank with the wind ripping by? That may prove trickier to me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gooch181 posted:

D-d-d-d-double pooooooast
Crappy potato pictures, but hey, send it!

Assorted tackle, weights, bobber stops, jig heads, hooks, etc that don't fit in elsewhere or I haven't made a dedicated box for yet.

Topwater box. Whopper plopper, horney toad, walking frogs and popping frogs.

Paddletail swimbait box. Includes various hooks, swim jigs in bluegill/warmouth pattern and various pattern baits.

I keep those 3 3600 boxes in my backpack along with an assortment of plastics. I have space for 2 other 3600 boxes that I swap out depending on time of year, what I've been using, where exactly I'm fishing and what the fish are biting. Still need to figure out how to fit a damned scale in this backpack. At some point I need to upgrade to a bag that holds 3700 boxes and has some more storage for accessories. The lews backpack they showed at icast this year has promise.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 13, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elmnt80 posted:

D-d-d-d-double pooooooast
Crappy potato pictures, but hey, send it!

Assorted tackle, weights, bobber stops, jig heads, hooks, etc that don't fit in elsewhere or I haven't made a dedicated box for yet.

Topwater box. Whopper plopper, horney toad, walking frogs and popping frogs.

Paddletail swimbait box. Includes various hooks, swim jigs in bluegill/warmouth pattern and various pattern baits.

I keep those 3 3600 boxes in my backpack along with an assortment of plastics. I have space for 2 other 3600 boxes that I swap out depending on time of year, what I've been using, where exactly I'm fishing and what the fish are biting. Still need to figure out how to fit a damned scale in this backpack. At some point I need to upgrade to a bag that holds 3700 boxes and has some more storage for accessories. The lews backpack they showed at icast this year has promise.

What are 3600 / 3700 boxes? I'm needing to put together a very small but not poo poo-tier quality box of panfish hooks, leaders, jigs and small bobbers to take out with my little collapsible pole at some point. I've got 2 super large tackle boxes full of saltwater stuff for catching stripers but it's just overkill. I kinda want something I can hike with and throw in and over the shoulder bag along with that same pole etc.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Could only really fish 4 days out of my vacation this year and the haul was underwhelming. Dirty water due to high southerly winds meant just whitings and a couple of sharks. Big ups to the tourists with their Zebco 33s and 1 ounce weights on the pier though; if my medium-heavy action rod was waggling and my 3oz pyramids were being dragged through the water, I'm sure they had a great time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I like fishing, but I also get depressed from doing it because I feel like that energy should be put toward something else. Like getting a job.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That Works posted:

What are 3600 / 3700 boxes? I'm needing to put together a very small but not poo poo-tier quality box of panfish hooks, leaders, jigs and small bobbers to take out with my little collapsible pole at some point. I've got 2 super large tackle boxes full of saltwater stuff for catching stripers but it's just overkill. I kinda want something I can hike with and throw in and over the shoulder bag along with that same pole etc.

They refer to certain sizes of tackle boxes/utility trays. The numbers come from plano's model numbers since they largely dominate the tackle storage market.

3500 = small = 9" L x 5" W x 1.25" H
3600 = medium = 11" L x 7.25" W x 1.75" H
3700 = large = 14" L x 9" W x 2" H

Most full sized tackle bags are sized for 3700 boxes, but most tackle backpacks are sized for 3600 boxes. It may not seem like much, but those few inches make a big difference in how much tackle you can bring with you once you're packing 4-5 of them. Storing longer lures in a 3600 box can be interesting, but I'd snap up any of the triple latch waterproof plano 3600 boxes you can find because they are awesome for storing a small selection of lures and tackle for pond hopping. That's what the boxes my bottom two pictures are.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I. M. Gei posted:

I like fishing, but I also get depressed from doing it because I feel like that energy should be put toward something else. Like getting a job.

F that

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

I. M. Gei posted:

Unsolicited advice: Made a schedule/goal.

-I'll apply to X number of jobs per day
-I'll set up/attend X number networking meetings/events
I'll make X number of networking call
- Whatevs

When you've hit the goal, the day is yours, guilt free. Looking for a job is miserable, frankly its important give yourself a little joy. The hardest part is being true to the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I. M. Gei posted:

Don't think of it as fishing, think of it as cultivating perseverance.