Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

canyoneer posted:

If you're buying individual stocks with money you can't afford to lose, you are insane with money and have a risk profile akin to running through the zoo's tiger enclosure wearing only a meat bikini.
Well, that's significantly less risky than a meat tuxedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dik Hz posted:

Well, that's significantly less risky than a meat tuxedo.

And it's less restrictive, so you have more agility to avoid danger

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SpelledBackwards posted:

And it's less restrictive, so you have more agility to avoid danger

But man is the rear end meat going to stink. What are you going to do with that?

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess I'll say my cousin. He just bought a new house which is fine, he has a good job, and he was telling me about the rennovations he wants to do. He asked if I could help him build a brick wall... Around his entire yard. He actually offered me $20 and hour to help build which I was grateful for. I'm out if work right now because I don't drive (long story, anxiety issues, etc.)

So he picks me up and we head over to his house. The bricks havnt arrived yet, apparently a truck is dropping them off in an hour so we dick around playing COD (and he's paying me for this time too :wtc:)

Finally we hear a truck pull up.

I go outside and it's a loving GameStop truck :wtc: and guys open the back and start unloading...pallet after pallet of Xbox Ones!!' He got a truckload of bricks all right! But he could have got them cheaper than that, OP!!!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The gently caress? Was he trading in Broken Xbox commodities and did he somehow accidentally screw up and get a real shipment like that coal dude?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
China disaster family may have just got their impending education costs down to 2 times their income rather than 3; dad is going to find out soon if his connections (dude's a nobody, but he works with people who aren't) were able to get his daughter into a good public school that won't cost him a fortune. Now he's got 3-4 years to figure out the other half of the problem.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

The gently caress? Was he trading in Broken Xbox commodities and did he somehow accidentally screw up and get a real shipment like that coal dude?

No, for some reason he's making a super hilarious joke about how this one video game console is bad, in a BFC thread that has nothing to do with video game consoles.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Dillbag posted:

No, for some reason he's making a super hilarious joke about how this one video game console is bad, in a BFC thread that has nothing to do with video game consoles.
Gotcha, bricked console. I should've seen that coming, but you don't always see it coming...

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Barfoid 3 posted:

I'm out if work right now

Don't forget to tell long dumb non-sequitur jokes at your next interview and you'll be right as rain!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
My best friend from work is leasing a 2013 VW Passat for over $500 a month. :stare:

He had a previously leased Jetta that he went way over the mileage on and when he turned it in they offered him this lease, no penalty for the over mileage, no depreciation on the old car, etc. He feels like he got a deal. I tried to explain that they happily rolled all of that into the new lease and he didn't get away with poo poo, plus he's paying $550ish a month for a loving leased Passat.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

xie posted:

My best friend from work is leasing a 2013 VW Passat for over $500 a month. :stare:

He had a previously leased Jetta that he went way over the mileage on and when he turned it in they offered him this lease, no penalty for the over mileage, no depreciation on the old car, etc. He feels like he got a deal. I tried to explain that they happily rolled all of that into the new lease and he didn't get away with poo poo, plus he's paying $550ish a month for a loving leased Passat.
Well $500*60=$30,000 so... He should have gotten a no-down loan!

Some people thing leases are great cuz they get to always have the newest car. My gf's cousin and I had this chat on the Fourth. He understands it was very expensive to do, and he got a note for his last car and doesn't plan to replace it once it's paid off, but the mindset was basically "newest every 2yrs ftw!!"

Me, I like my $3-5k beaters (e36/2, e39/5) that take a grand or so in maintenance per year. Comfy, nice to look at, and paid for in cash... They get crap MPG tho, but not bad enough to make selling and replacing a real thought.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SiGmA_X posted:

Well $500*60=$30,000 so... He should have gotten a no-down loan!

Some people thing leases are great cuz they get to always have the newest car. My gf's cousin and I had this chat on the Fourth. He understands it was very expensive to do, and he got a note for his last car and doesn't plan to replace it once it's paid off, but the mindset was basically "newest every 2yrs ftw!!"

Me, I like my $3-5k beaters (e36/2, e39/5) that take a grand or so in maintenance per year. Comfy, nice to look at, and paid for in cash... They get crap MPG tho, but not bad enough to make selling and replacing a real thought.

Being young and buying a $5k beater is difficult. A lot of my friends are driving new Fusions, Passats and Camrys, and for just a couple thousand dollars more, I could be driving a sexy 325ic or something with actual power, but I bought a base model Civic in May that I will have paid off by next April. Being economically responsible sucks sometimes, but when you only make $16,000 a year, buying a $14k car probably isn't the smartest move

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Actually, speaking of cars, I have a story.
My buddy used to be a street racer. He had 2 turbocharged Audis until he got arrested, the police seized one and he lost his license for a year. He sold his second Audi since it was useless to him and eating up his money in insurance payments. He got his license back about the same time I was searching for a new car and I tried to convince him to go smaller, get a Celica or a Mazda6 so it's still fun to drive, but cheap and reliable.
Turns out he bought a newer A6 Quattro that had a seized engine. Now he can barely afford to own his car that won't even run, he's picking up every available shift and selling off a bunch of concert tickets and whatnot to fund his dream car

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Being young and buying a $5k beater is difficult. A lot of my friends are driving new Fusions, Passats and Camrys, and for just a couple thousand dollars more, I could be driving a sexy 325ic or something with actual power, but I bought a base model Civic in May that I will have paid off by next April. Being economically responsible sucks sometimes, but when you only make $16,000 a year, buying a $14k car probably isn't the smartest move

You're driving a civic and you're disappointed it's not a fusion or passat? None of those cars are bad, but they're all basically appliances. Have some standards, dude. How many kids do you drive to soccer practice that you WANT a Camry?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

NancyPants posted:

You're driving a civic and you're disappointed it's not a fusion or passat? None of those cars are bad, but they're all basically appliances. Have some standards, dude. How many kids do you drive to soccer practice that you WANT a Camry?

No, I wanted an 08 BMW, I had the perfect one in line, with the right engine and everything. It just sucks to pull up next to a brand new car in my beat up civic and manually roll up my windows

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

No, I wanted an 08 BMW, I had the perfect one in line, with the right engine and everything. It just sucks to pull up next to a brand new car in my beat up civic and manually roll up my windows

Once you stop tying in your self-worth with the perceived notion that anyone else cares about what you drive, you'll be a much happier (and wealthier) person.

My fun car is a $3,500 '99 Miata. I bought it just for me, because I enjoy driving a cheap, nimble convertible. I've heard so many stupid comments about how it's a car for either girls or gays, but they just roll off my back. I'm the one who gets to have fun with it, not them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

The stress involved in paying that extra few thousand dollars adds up too (sacrificing payments elsewhere, worrying more, etc), so I would just throw it out there you are not necessarily losing out.

Edit:

The Door Frame posted:

the solution to this is more if you want a higher quality of living, make it a goal of making more than 16K a year. Not sure if you are in school or whatever life situation, but with a good bit of effort you can find the right employment to get $25-30K.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 10, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
You're not losing out on anything. If you own only one car it's just a thing to get you from place to place. If you spend $2,000 on the car or $28,000 it's not going to make the 600th rush hour commute any more fun.

I'm pretty sure 0-1% of people ever drive their car for fun on open roads. What would you do with that BMW? Pull up next to the guy in a Civic and wait at the light and feel your dick swell because your car is better?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, I'm in school and making next to no money, so the civic was undoubtedly the right choice, it just wasn't at all what I wanted haha

xie posted:

You're not losing out on anything. If you own only one car it's just a thing to get you from place to place. If you spend $2,000 on the car or $28,000 it's not going to make the 600th rush hour commute any more fun.

I'm pretty sure 0-1% of people ever drive their car for fun on open roads. What would you do with that BMW? Pull up next to the guy in a Civic and wait at the light and feel your dick swell because your car is better?

And the BMW would've been for the big engine, rear wheel drive and general sex appeal, but buying that would've made me bad with money. I'm just keeping that car in the back of my mind so I can buy it when I get a real job, using the completely paid off civic as a trade in, having lost almost no value since Civics with under 100k miles on them are still good for another decade of cheap driving

Plus, I'm using the Civic to learn car maintenance so that I can have a hobby that saves save even more money on repairs and such. I'm just revving my golf cart engine and thinking about having car payments for the next 3 years instead of 10 months

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/human-props-stay-in-luxury-homes-but-live-like-ghosts/2187417

These people are paying $1200 a month for the opportunity to live in expensive homes as "house managers". The kicker is, they used to be rich, but after the recession, they ended up losing everything and working at McDonalds. Now they think they will somehow end up rich again.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Nirvikalpa posted:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/human-props-stay-in-luxury-homes-but-live-like-ghosts/2187417

These people are paying $1200 a month for the opportunity to live in expensive homes as "house managers". The kicker is, they used to be rich, but after the recession, they ended up losing everything and working at McDonalds. Now they think they will somehow end up rich again.

quote:

"When the housing downturn came, it hit us really hard, and the things we'd invested in fell through the bottom," Dareda said. Even selling their home and draining their bank accounts couldn't help them stay afloat. When a friend told them about Showhomes, they trucked down to Florida, homeless but heavy with stuff: a baby grand piano, intricate bronze statuary, a $10,000 Pakistani rug.

The couple said they don't know when they might choose to leave the program for their own home, taking all their statues and fine china and real estate books, like How Come That Idiot's Rich and I'm Not?
"how come" indeed

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

"how come" indeed

Their junk alone would finance a down payment on a new home. Holy poo poo

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It's bad with money in a way that is trying to be good with it. They get a great deal renting a house of that quality, except that living in such a house requires them to maintain a lifestyle they can't afford (extravagant decorations, etc.)

The saddest part is that the only reason they aren't living in a normal place is pride and the belief that they are rich at heart... and them thinking of themselves as rich people is sad because they were just handed the money in the recent past by a dead relative.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Thesaurus posted:

It's bad with money in a way that is trying to be good with it. They get a great deal renting a house of that quality, except that living in such a house requires them to maintain a lifestyle they can't afford (extravagant decorations, etc.)

The saddest part is that the only reason they aren't living in a normal place is pride and the belief that they are rich at heart... and them thinking of themselves as rich people is sad because they were just handed the money in the recent past by a dead relative.

I feel sad that they aren't lamenting ruining the wife's father's legacy, just their current situation --- or at least that's how it seems via the article.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

OneWhoKnows posted:

I feel sad that they aren't lamenting ruining the wife's father's legacy, just their current situation --- or at least that's how it seems via the article.

Speaking as someone who can pretty much only inherit debt from his grandparents, I have a special place in my heart for people who can't manage windfalls.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

OneWhoKnows posted:

Just another case of grew up poor and poo poo the bed when they came in to some money, obviously with the husband at the helm.

The hilarity comes from the fact that they both work at McDonalds and that their three adult children live with them. It seems like the adult children don't even have real jobs. They only mentioned the one son doing voice coaching out of their fake house. All around terrible family, would love to read more about them. Also, can't imagine what hair brain schemes these people have going on trying to get rich.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Nirvikalpa posted:

I like how articles like this never put in specific details about the bad decisions that got them where they are today. They simply blame it on the recession or the bad luck boogeyman when if you read the article it's obvious they hosed themselves by leveraging their inheritance all into real estate without having a clue except for an "appreciation" for the finer things in life.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

gently caress realtors, but props to them for finding a way to squeeze equity from a showhome while making its transitory tenants your bitches.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

gently caress realtors, but props to them for finding a way to squeeze equity from a showhome while making its transitory tenants your bitches.

Good realtors are worth every penny in states where going fsbo means there's 101 things that can get you sued or jammed up during the escrow process unless you're very experienced.

This showhome strategy seems alright but I wonder what percentage of renters end up trashing the place anyways. Doesn't seem like a good risk to take if it's a buyer's market with long listing times.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
We loved our realtor so much that a (very small) part of us actually felt bad for not buying a more expensive house just so she'd get a bigger commission. She was a dream to work with and I can't imagine navigating the selling/buying process without her next time.

Don't go dyin on me Kathy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Modus Operandi posted:

Good realtors are worth every penny in states where going fsbo means there's 101 things that can get you sued or jammed up during the escrow process unless you're very experienced.

This showhome strategy seems alright but I wonder what percentage of renters end up trashing the place anyways. Doesn't seem like a good risk to take if it's a buyer's market with long listing times.

Having people in the house, especially if you keep a really close eye on them, probably reduces the risk that the home will deteriorate from abandonment. Maintenance, security... The whole thing about changing the energy of the place is bullshit; I bet it's a pretty sweet insurance discount.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Modus Operandi posted:

A good realtor is not worth a single penny in a situation where a FSBO would work since a thing called RE attoeneys exist. You can have them do all the paperwork stuff a realtor would do and they generally charge less than $400. And unlike a slimeball realtor they do actually have your best interests in mind.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

The whole thing about changing the energy of the place is bullshit; I bet it's a pretty sweet insurance discount.

Yep. Insuring an unoccupied building carries all sorts of penalties because of the increased risk of vandalism, fire, etc.

I get a kick out of the fact that they have to pay the utilities, too, which are sure to be huge in a place like that. Given all of the poo poo that they have to comply with, it seems like they should be able to live their rent free.

I'm sure their shift manager positions at McDonalds and wealth-oriented mindsets will bootstrap them back into riches before they know it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's something poetic about them selling off (I assume) the sizable McDonald's franchise the wife's father left them only to end up working there as shift leads.

Also that $1,200.00 would probably get them a three bedroom apartment, with money left to spare, if they swallowed their pride and moved further away from Tampa.

Folly
May 26, 2010

RommelMcDonald posted:

There's something poetic about them selling off (I assume) the sizable McDonald's franchise the wife's father left them only to end up working there as shift leads.

Also that $1,200.00 would probably get them a three bedroom apartment, with money left to spare, if they swallowed their pride and moved further away from Tampa.

Ok, that first part of your post actually made me read the article. These people have to keep the home looking spotless, so they clean it every day. Their presence saves the owner money. They provide their own furnishings. And, ideally, they're vetted to the point where the owners know they won't destroy the place AND they'll move out when told to do so and not muck up the sale by forcing the owner to go through the eviction process. These people add a fair amount of value, the article says qualified people fairly hard to find, and for that privilege they PAY $1200 a month. WTF?

Excellent post/username combo, btw.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Folly posted:

Ok, that first part of your post actually made me read the article. These people have to keep the home looking spotless, so they clean it every day. Their presence saves the owner money. They provide their own furnishings. And, ideally, they're vetted to the point where the owners know they won't destroy the place AND they'll move out when told to do so and not muck up the sale by forcing the owner to go through the eviction process. These people add a fair amount of value, the article says qualified people fairly hard to find, and for that privilege they PAY $1200 a month. WTF?

Excellent post/username combo, btw.

They are living in a luxury property they don't own, why wouldn't they pay for it?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Apartment managers and handymen live in someone's property and don't pay for it? They're paying with their labor here, just like in those situations. They keep it occupied, safe, and clean. However it works out that labor either isn't being valued, or is coming up short of the cost of rental, but there's plenty of situations where you can trade labor for free housing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nickutz posted:

They are living in a luxury property they don't own, why wouldn't they pay for it?

Because they're not "living" in it per se, must comply with a totally-not-an-employer's rules and regulations 24/7 and at a moment's notice, and they've furnished the house at their own expense?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People pay you to house-sit, not the other way around. They are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man its the summer time and I have a few anonymous ones.

I think I may have mentioned it but I had someone calling in wanting insurance on a 1998 Honda Civic they are paying $80 a week on.

Another had a 2013 Chevy Equinox they are paying $150 twice a month for, yet are unable to afford any insurance payment above $50 a month.

Yet another, and this is scary common, people being told to buy insurance on a home they are "renting to buy", meaning the deed remains in the owners hands while the renters have a portion of rent go to the principal. You can't insure something you don't own, and you most certainly can't get a policy to pay you for a property that the "landlord" owns. What the heck.

People refusing to deal with insurance and having their auto lien holder/mortgage holder purchasing insurance for them. Its so quick and easy! Except its usually triple the cost of a personal policy and looks terrible on your credit history.

Adults living at home that require their parents to co-sign on to a brand new 2014 Kia Optima-Daughter is 57, mom is 80 and they complain that insurance is so high when the last car was repossessed, so its not on the books anymore!

Its really disheartening to see adults that have no idea how to manage their credit, insurance or budgets:(

• Locked thread