Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I love The Fang and I find it pretty funny it isn't a color used to paint space wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I have a ton of random models and bits (mostly chaos) I'm looking to sell, should I post them here or just wait until I have enough random junk ready for an SA-Mart thread?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Late to the party:

ijyt posted:

Do you have a recommendation for a micropen? I can't get the thinning right for my Skaven freehand.

I use a brand called ‘Le Pen’ for black, which is .002 or .003 which is perfect IMO. I haven’t found a white pen that small, sadly, so your best bet for that is a ‘Pilot Super Color’ Pen, which is .005 (good for vehicles, too big for infantry).

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What do people like on medium-ranged Legion HW Squads? Volkites? How do people like Plasma Cannons?

Autocannons, Missile Launchers, Lascannons, and Volkites. The latter are murder against 5+ or worse, especially if you find a way to make them BS5. For the former 3, play as Iron Warriors because its hard to beat Iron Havoc squads in the support role.

Plasma cannon squads with interceptor are hilariously… devastating… in 30k, since you can effectively delete a 20 man 3+ squad in a single round of shooting. They are fragile and expensive, however. The best way to get plasma into a 30k army is to grab some predator executioners, which cost less and are more survivable. With HB sponsons they are about 100 points, but lascannons sponsons make them pretty versatile against armor and TEQs. Consider a command tank upgrade since it turns a 120pt tank into a 30” “I dare you to deep strike here” bubble.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I'm getting involved in an escalation league locally, and I'm pretty pumped about it. I have a ton of Dark Angels I mentioned awhile back, but since I have a dude considering them, I've decided to bust out the Orks instead, since they have a new book and they've sat around for ages. We're starting at 500 points, with the FOC being 1 HQ/1-2 Troop, and 0-1 of everything else. You can also add a single extra unit to any one slot, but things higher than AV 12 and Flyers are off-limits at this level.

They only thing I'm set on is 5 Buggies. Buggies are rad, and I don't feel like a dick taking them - Bolters can pop them without too much trouble, and anything heavier can cook them off with a decent roll. What's a good way to take it from there? I'm running Death Skullz, can loot or bash out any vehicle or unit, and currently have a sort of "ripped off from the Imperium" theme for a lot of my stuff.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looted wagons come to mind. Cheap, av12, and you can throw a nice cannon onto them for dirt cheap.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yes basically KFF works for models within 6". Stick it near the front, aka where most of the shooting comes from, and you're only going to be taking wounds on models in the KFF.

I mean in my understanding even if I had a wyvern in front of the unit which targeted units at the back you still allocate wounds to front models.

Basically it's just 100 angry Boyz with a decent save, making it hard as gently caress to chip away at the unit. And in this game there wasn't much else to shoot at (100 Boyz, 5 MANs, morkanaut). And it was a last stand game so heavy support only arrived turn 3-4. Not bitter in the slightest was just shocked at how tough the Orks were.

KFF being an invulnerable is nasty now. If you buff Stack Orks they become very hard to deal with. Feel no pain is rough.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey guys, I've been actively not trying to coyly pimp my SA Mart thread where I am shedding armies like old skin (four armies sold so far!) but since a couple of you expressed interest in the Thousand Sons I just wanted to let you know that I just dropped the price for the third time and am going to pull them from sale if they don't go in the next day. Ciao!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
As some of you may recall. Ghost Hand and I caught up on my recent trip to LA.

We played a pretty spectacular game of Death Guard Vs Ultramarines but also filmed this comedy sketch together.

http://youtu.be/kM4u1UJpNY4

Check it out it's probably the gooniest thing I ever gooned.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

My grin grew so quickly and so exponentially, my face has been permanently sundered in happy twain. You old nerds, you.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

We played a pretty spectacular game of Death Guard Vs Ultramarines but also filmed this comedy sketch together.

That is awesome. I've been wondering if you guys had ever called out 40K or done a bit/song/whatever about it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

That is awesome. I've been wondering if you guys had ever called out 40K or done a bit/song/whatever about it.

The thing we're filming this week has involved, Hero Quest, Hero Scape, Talisman and Risk: Godstorm... as well as some larp style foam swords, a very small loincloth and an actual dwarf.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah yeah, saw the Hero Quest pic on Facebook! Should be good :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Late to the party:

I use a brand called ‘Le Pen’ for black, which is .002 or .003 which is perfect IMO. I haven’t found a white pen that small, sadly, so your best bet for that is a ‘Pilot Super Color’ Pen, which is .005 (good for vehicles, too big for infantry).

Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately my hobby days seem to be over for the time being, developed some painful arthritis in my wrist, which brings me to another question. Are there any one handed distance measuring tools that aren't straight up 30cm rulers for gaming?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Man, I really wish I had room for Gitz (or they were good enough to MAKE room for) in my list. I bought the kit on a lark and man is it great.

Oh well. They'll go on my display shelf with some of my less-useful conversions and stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately my hobby days seem to be over for the time being, developed some painful arthritis in my wrist, which brings me to another question. Are there any one handed distance measuring tools that aren't straight up 30cm rulers for gaming?

You could try something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-ATM100-25-Foot-Measure/dp/B0002TG1GG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
It sounds like it's not useful when used as an actual tool, but should work fine for 40k. I had no idea this thing even existed until your question got me googling.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Cataphract posted:

This is glorious. Short Benny jokes never get old.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Cataphract posted:

This is pretty hilarious

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I may be playing some Kill Team later and I was wondering what to do. I'm thinking of running Tyranids just because I haven't played them in a while.

Hive Guard w/ Adrenals
Tyranid Warrior Brood

That's 4 high-wound models and I still have around 50 points to work with.

Or I was thinking of a blinged out Stern/Vanguard veteran squad.

Germ
May 7, 2013

So very marvelous. The rhino scraping across the table followed by the pan back to show the otherwise empty gaming room was icing on the cake.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ijyt posted:

Would one of these help?

You get 1" 2" 4" and 6" for 12" just have a standard ruler to hand. Most distances covered, only one hand required.

I wonder how baffling your segments are for non-gamers. I get that your act caters primarily to nerds but I wonder if a fan of Dr. Who or GoT would even start to comprehend what is going on (other than nerd does nerd stuff rather than "fun" tourist stuff.)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 8, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Would one of these help?

You get 1" 2" 4" and 6" for 12" just have a standard ruler to hand. Most distances covered, only one hand required.

Micro Art Studios makes two with different measurements on them as well (1x2x6x3 and an older 1x2x6x4), and really just about anybody using a laser cutter to knock out MDF/HDF/Plastic terrain has their own similar measurement template on sale as well.

Should be dead easy to find one to your liking ijyt

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Converting up my Blood Slaughterer, going to use this as a multi-melta arm instead of the Impaler gun, what do you think?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That looks rad as hell, I like it! What's the actual arm from?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Gargoyle status: Almost a minimum unit.

I'm really trying to figure how how to configure a list using Skyblight Swarm, as I'm going to have to eschew quite a bit of my "standard" list. What do people usually run for Skyblight at 1500-1850pts?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

That looks rad as hell, I like it! What's the actual arm from?

Thanks! The basic arm is from there, I just added in the gun barrel from a Devildog and move the harpoon head to just sit around melta shroud and look a bit more chaosy. Going to counts-as a basic 100pt Helbrute for my Helcult, shame you can't bling them out a bit more with daemonic possession or marks but I think AV12 even with a 3+ cover save is a bit fragile to add in a power scourge and heavy flamer.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PierreTheMime posted:

Gargoyle status: Almost a minimum unit.

I'm really trying to figure how how to configure a list using Skyblight Swarm, as I'm going to have to eschew quite a bit of my "standard" list. What do people usually run for Skyblight at 1500-1850pts?

Skyblight in 1500 is pretty tough to manage- you could probably do it, but it's pushing the limits of what works.

In 1750/1850, though, it's pretty brutal- you run three Flyrants, 3-5 Crones/Harpies (to taste), some minimum troops (Warriors can help hold Synapse, Genestealers are decent at grabbing objectives independently) and then fill in whatever Gargoyles you can beyond the minimum. The list really leans on being able to just send a ton of FMCs at the enemy and relentlessly bombard them with shots and Vector Strikes without any real chance at return fire, and it's pretty drat good at it. OS on the Gargoyles means there's no real need to take more than the basic allotment of troops; remember you can Deep Strike the Gargs when if they succeed their 4+ check to come back.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cataphract posted:

This is seriously wonderful.

Germ posted:

So very marvelous. The rhino scraping across the table followed by the pan back to show the otherwise empty gaming room was icing on the cake.
This was seriously the best part, it's so cringe-inducing and I love it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AbusePuppy posted:

Skyblight in 1500 is pretty tough to manage- you could probably do it, but it's pushing the limits of what works.

In 1750/1850, though, it's pretty brutal- you run three Flyrants, 3-5 Crones/Harpies (to taste), some minimum troops (Warriors can help hold Synapse, Genestealers are decent at grabbing objectives independently) and then fill in whatever Gargoyles you can beyond the minimum. The list really leans on being able to just send a ton of FMCs at the enemy and relentlessly bombard them with shots and Vector Strikes without any real chance at return fire, and it's pretty drat good at it. OS on the Gargoyles means there's no real need to take more than the basic allotment of troops; remember you can Deep Strike the Gargs when if they succeed their 4+ check to come back.

This seems pretty nice (mean) for 1500pts:
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++TL-Devourer
++TL-Devourer
++Wings

Troops:
11x Termagant 44pts

10x Termagant 40pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 170pts

Exocrine 170pts

Skyblight Formation
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++TL-Devourer
++TL-Devourer
++Wings

Harpy 140pts
++TL-Heavy Venom Cannon

Harpy 140pts
++TL-Heavy Venom Cannon

Hive Crone 155pts

10x Gargoyle 60pts

10x Gargoyle 60pts

10x Gargoyle 60pts

Total Points: 1499pts

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Here's some junk I'm looking to get rid of, I'll make an SA-Mart thread later this afternoon with paypal info and stuff:

Album link lists prices, I don't even know if these are fair or a steal or whatever

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Is there anything preventing me from taking an Endless swarm and the Artillary node formation besides points? I have a really dumb idea for a local tourney.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you wouldn't be able to add on a CAD on top of that. If you can fill out your points go hog wild.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you wouldn't be able to add on a CAD on top of that. If you can fill out your points go hog wild.
The local scene doesnt really care, most of the people are really chill. So the formation troops dont gain the CAD benefits correct? (objective secured etc) I've never run a formation before so Im clueless.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A detachment will only get the Command Benefits listed on it. The only Formation with ObSec is Skyblight, IIRC.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I may be playing some Kill Team later and I was wondering what to do. I'm thinking of running Tyranids just because I haven't played them in a while.

Hive Guard w/ Adrenals
Tyranid Warrior Brood

That's 4 high-wound models and I still have around 50 points to work with.

Or I was thinking of a blinged out Stern/Vanguard veteran squad.

I don’t know if you are playing GW KT or HoR KT but…

Get a Biovore. That thing roasts 4+ AV units and ignores cover. Plus, it actually gets more deadly when you miss. While I was playing HoR KT, my biovore got the most kills and he was the last guy I purchased in the campaign.
A Venomthrope is just as good but for the exact opposite reasons. If you can’t keep a 3+ or 2+ cover save with a Venomthrope then you are playing wrong. I usually kept mine out of LOS so it couldn’t be ID. If you can, give it EW.

If you aren’t playing HoR, and want to go multi-wound, then aim for max ranged firepower. Honestly, you should be able to outrange most armies by like 12-18 inches with Tyranids and drop pie plates on them. Then maximize your assault guns by keeping them at a distance while using a Venomthrope for 2+ save generation. A Warrior with a 2+ save is a lot more deadly than a Terminatore with a 2+ save in KT due to wounding. Force saves, and when you get into assault, charge one model with multiple differently outfitted Warriors. Lash whip Warriors can easily wound a model and before it can attach and lower I model can then auto-hit or auto-kill. Don’t forget about Miasma, it’s I1 and is great for killing off wounded enemy in CC.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 8, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A detachment will only get the Command Benefits listed on it. The only Formation with ObSec is Skyblight, IIRC.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing out on anything, might as well toss it up for goons to pick apart.

Flyrant w/ brainleech worms
X10 termagaunts
X10 termagaunts
Trygon Prime
Scythed Heirodule

Endless swarm
X10 termagaunts
X10 termagaunts
X10 termagaunts
X10 hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs
X10 hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs
Warrior brood w/ venom cannon

Artillery node
X3 biovores
Exocrine
Warrior brood w/ venom cannon

Should total out to 1850 unless I'm bad at math.
Its also a dumb idea.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Karandras posted:

Converting up my Blood Slaughterer, going to use this as a multi-melta arm instead of the Impaler gun, what do you think?

The answer is gently caress yes. Looks great man!

I always wanted to get one of those models for my chaos army, but now with 30k, I have too many other toys to get.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Geoff Zahn posted:

Here's some junk I'm looking to get rid of, I'll make an SA-Mart thread later this afternoon with paypal info and stuff:

Can I call dibs on this guy? I dig this model.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I always wanted to get one of those models for my chaos army, but now with 30k, I have too many other toys to get.

Once the Dark Mechanicus book rolls out... :black101:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Is there anything preventing me from taking an Endless swarm and the Artillary node formation besides points? I have a really dumb idea I ripped off from Von Humboldt for a local tourney.
Fixed that for you. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SRM posted:

Can I call dibs on this guy? I dig this model.

For sure. I'll even throw in a 2nd ed SM sprue I found (shoulder pads and bolters), you'd probably get more use out of it than I can. I have a meeting to go now but when it's done I'll make the thread.

• Locked thread