Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
In Union the advantage from a knock on is usually on until a team has a) advanced the ball up the field a reasonable distance, around 10m, b) moved the ball into a favorable attacking position on the field, c) kicked the ball a good long way, d) knocked the ball on themselves, or e) gone maybe 10 seconds without doing any of the other things, in which case it resets with a scrum at the point of infringement.

From a penalty, if it's inside the 22m the advantage usually goes until a) a team has scored, or b) the ref doesn't think they're going to score any time soon, so maybe 30-60 seconds, at which point it goes back to a penalty (and this being Union, almost inevitably a kick for goal). If it's outside the 22m, penalty advantage usually ends only when the attacking team gains a significant field position, over 10m definitely, and if they attempt a cross-field kick or drop-kick that doesn't work, or any other kick, they get the ball back at the original spot.

A PtB in League is nearly equivalent to a penalty in Union anyway, as the other team has to back up 10m, so it makes sense to have shorter advantage in the 13s game. Or the 9s, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apparently Adam Reynolds just requested a release from the Bunnies to go join the Titans and was refused. I can only assume the Titans offered him an incredible amount of money

e: source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...c-1227641987280

Thinking fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The entertaining murky world of NRL contract negotiations continue to thrill and educate.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The Titans obviously want to avoid the 'two young talented halves' disaster that is Brooks/Moses with Taylor/Elgey, which is why they brought in Tyrone Roberts. Paying ridiculous overs to get Aeynolds and not having to play games with Tyrone loving Roberts makes sense to me as well, even if Taylor plays a very similar style of precision kicking halfback to Aeynolds

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I just read that thread favourite Braith Anasta and his wife have split because she wants to go to Hollywood or something. Poor old :anasta:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Aeynolds has come out and flatly denied that he asked for a release. The rollercoaster continues

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tigers have come out and apologised for the Farah situation, clarified that he's definitely here next year, and that he's part of our leadership group.

What a shitshow.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

Tigers have come out and apologised for the Farah situation, clarified that he's definitely here next year, and that he's part of our leadership group.

What a shitshow.

West Tigers, Worst Tigers

poor Braith, i hope he finds a nice greek girl to look after him.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

On the upside maybe we'll be out of the papers for a little while now.

Or maybe we'll keep buying Ipswich players until we complete the whole set and then decide we'd be more competitive in the Queensland cup and just play there.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Robbie Farah is a whinge waiting for an opportunity.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

When has he ever lacked for an opportunity?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
or a whinge?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
At least he's probably the second best player at one of the most important positions in the game. Whereas Jason Taylor might have hosed up worse than the time he got decked on Mad Monday.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

At least he's probably the second best player at one of the most important positions in the game. Whereas Jason Taylor might have hosed up worse than the time he got decked on Mad Monday.

It's barely possible to think of a way to gently caress up worse than that but I'm sure he'll find a way.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The Raiders just re-signed Stuart for a couple of years. There are pros and cons here. He hasn't really proven anything and is a bit of a failure but has recruited well and rebuilt the side way faster than I thought was possible (for a small market side in the least desirable location in Australia).

Basically the way I look at it the Raiders can afford to pay him out if needed and all the main guys will have release clauses if he is let go so im not too cut up about extending him out to 18 when all the important players come off contract.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The Raiders just re-signed Stuart for a couple of years. There are pros and cons here. He hasn't really proven anything and is a bit of a failure but has recruited well and rebuilt the side way faster than I thought was possible (for a small market side in the least desirable location in Australia).

Basically the way I look at it the Raiders can afford to pay him out if needed and all the main guys will have release clauses if he is let go so im not too cut up about extending him out to 18 when all the important players come off contract.

Canberra definitely look good for next year, top 8 contenders on paper in my opinion. Wighton/Austin/Sezer/Hodgson is a solid spine, plus the talent littered everywhere else that can perform. I think the difference will come down to Sticky himself, since he is pretty comprehensively a bad coach.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It's the defensive structure. They are terrible. The outside men are instructed to press in and they get exposed all the time.

In attack we look great. We are probably a prop light. I think he is trying for junior Paulo or tamou for 17 but for 16 we are in huge trouble if Vaughan breaks down.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 17, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Canberra look to be a great team that will take up the mantle of inexplicably failing now that the Cowboys have (at least for one year) gotten that monkey off their backs.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Welp, Santa brought me some evidence I'm not too bright:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Gorbash posted:

Welp, Santa brought me some evidence I'm not too bright:

All aboard the suicide sleigh of 2016.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jesus Christ, even I'm not that stupid.

*has a quick look in closet and realises he has 17 Tigers jerseys at the moment*

Actually, never mind, carry on.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Sam Burgess' contract has been registered by Souths.

Also Russell Packer is not going to be deported from Australia.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

And James Roberts will be a Bronco too. A good year for rugby league ahead of us.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Looks like the Cowboys let's the players borrow the trophy for the day, I went to get a coffee this morning and there it was.

BobTheDestroyer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 21, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

And James Roberts will be a Bronco too. A good year for rugby league ahead of us.

This is confirmed now, he is playing for peanuts and TPAs but aww yee yuh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

about $400,000 a year in third party deals

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Nah, the NRL wouldn't register the deal he originally agreed with the Broncos. His contract had to equal the old one with the Titans.

E: also rumours getting around that there are photos of Inglis belting some young fella. Could be a gee up though, he doesn't seem the type.

ili fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

E: also rumours getting around that there are photos of Inglis belting some young fella. Could be a gee up though, he doesn't seem the type.

Yeah he wouldn't bash a dude, strictly girls only. Seriously though he's been straight as an arrow at the bunnies so this would be a pretty big deal imo

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Relax, I'm sure Inglis was just protecting the kid from hitting himself.

Also this third party agreement nonsense makes a mockery of the salary cap, ever widening gap between the chosen few clubs and the rest.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I don't think it's actually true, someone's probably taking the piss or stirring poo poo to get through the boring off season.

Also I don't think Roberts has big TPAs, he's at the Broncos to develop as a player and person which will help him land bigger contracts in the future. He could've gotten more in Sydney but would have likely ended up playing out his career with Todd Carney and the rest of the NRL fuckup crew.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He's there because the Broncs want to buy a premiership, stop sugar coating it with bullshit

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

He's there because the Broncs want to buy a premiership, stop sugar coating it with bullshit

Just because nobody wants to go to your lovely club to play under a lovely coaching team and fade into obscurity in the bottom 8 doesn't mean Roberts doesn't want to play for the (second) best team in the best state under the best coach and win a premiership. And living in SEQ is so good he'd probably play for free just to stay up here.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The question is whether he'll replace Reed or Copley I think. Reed is slow and got massively outplayed by a handful of players this year (like Fergo in the semis) as well as being pretty much responsible (with Milf) for the final Feldt try in the GF, but a lot of that can be attributed to his five broken shoulders. Copley is a solid player but sort of unexciting.

Something tells me it'll be Copley in reserve for yet another year even though it should probably be Reed

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

And living in SEQ is so good he'd probably play for free just to stay up here.

I was agreeing with your post until you hit this point and clearly went into farce territory.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

I was agreeing with your post until you hit this point and clearly went into farce territory.

Well not for free obviously, but seriously he would have taken less to stay up here. He's settled in, away from the limelight and out of trouble. His missus is due to give birth Marchish and he's got a good life established on the gold coast.

Cpaf, I'd love for Copley to stay but I expect he'll be the one to go. The only hope we have of keeping him is if we can shift Reed, most likely to super league. He'd do quite well over there I think. It'd be a pretty harsh way to treat a player who kept going through two shoulder dislocations in the GF though.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Yeah I think Reed is criminally underrated actually, but he is very slow and tends to run a lot without accomplishment. A Hunt Milford Roberts Oates daisy chain more than makes up for losing Copley though

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey in other news, USA Hawks have qualified for the Rugby League World cup under head coach Brian Motherfucking McDermott

edit: for you Australians, he's like Wayne Bennett except his team didn't choke in the last Grand Final

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

edit: for you Australians, he's like Wayne Bennett except his team didn't choke in the last Grand Final

Too soon ;_;

GranadaReport
Oct 20, 2012
I like McDermott but he is blessed with a bounty of talented players at leeds that allows them to play the way they do. I don't know how well that will translate to a much lower skill team like the usa. Unless, of course, the usa team is filled will australian nrl players with American grandmothers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/titans-young-gun-kane-elgey-out-for-season-with-torn-acl/7067812

quote:

The Gold Coast Titans have suffered a major blow ahead of the 2016 NRL season, with exciting young playmaker Kane Elgey tearing his anterior cruciate ligament at the team's first training session of the year.

Gold Coast can't really take a trick at the moment

• Locked thread