Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Yoshihiko is not toku :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ignis posted:

Yoshihiko is not toku :colbert:
It was subbed by OT, it counts!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yoshihiko, while self-admittedly low-budget, DOES use special effects. The word tokusatsu refers to the use of special effects, and as such, Yoshihiko is toku according to the broader definition of the term.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Live action... special effects... giant robots...

Guys. The Michael Bay Transformers movies are toku.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel like tokusatsu has to have at least some practical effects.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFV4l2Fv7sM

9Ranger theme.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I really, really dig this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The Deleter posted:

Honestly the old show never gave a real "teenagers with attitude" story or whatever, and whilst the cheesy poo poo we got was better than whatever executive idea of "attitude" exists, I'd appreciate a bit of focus on that. Dunno how you'd convey that at this point, now that people are married either to the cheesy silliness or whatever grimdark bullshit is in their heads.

E; I mean the conflict of one episode is CAN JASON LIFT THE WEIGHT??? And the answer was yes. So I dunno, man.

Idk there was that one episode where Kim and Billy were turned into assholes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SpazmasterX posted:

Idk there was that one episode where Kim and Billy were turned into assholes.

That one was directly based on an episode of Zyuranger(off the top of my head it's the closest any episode of MMPR gets to being a 1:1 copy of it's source material)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The episode I just watched today had Zedd wanting to make Kimberly his queen once and never again in the series, and it was just an excuse for Amy Jo Johnson to act like Rita, which is great because she's like the only good actor in the team. Also I guess there was a monster, but because we're using Dairanger monsters now, we can't fight him outside the Megazord.

Oh, and at this point, Austin St. John, Walter Jones, and Thuy Trang have left the show, so outside some pre-recorded footage, it's pretty much all Billy and Kim until Tommy comes back.

Meanwhile, we have two characters introduced to the non-Ranger parts who were basically added in by Haim Saban as a looming threat over the cast's heads of "I can replace you fucks at any time, don't get any ideas."

The production of Mighty Morphin was kind of a loving mess and I love it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of the season 2 stuff with Zedd got so convoluted and complicated, Zedd would often only make a monster as an afterthought.

Where with Rita, the monster generally was the plan, Zedd had wheels within wheels of utter bullshit and fuckery that never once needed a monster to be vital to anything beyond taking up time.

You could play and win a game of Zedd Bingo by how many of his plans involve some combination of Taking Their Powers/Zords/Both, Making Evil Rangers, Making The Rangers Evil, Making The Rangers Do His Bidding Without Making Them Evil, Divide Them, Time Travel, Weird hosed Up Time Fuckery, or General Bullshittery

And then there are the ones where he just throws an army of monsters at the problem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This might be the first toku theme since Shinkenger's that I don't start skipping by like week 3.

It is also surprisingly anime for a Sentai opening.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There were at least a couple Dairanger monsters they fought outside of the megazord. I know that the DJ-sounding thing from "Zedd Waves" appears in the same shot as the Zyuranger costumes at least. In fact that was probably one the better episodes from that cast swap time period.

Burkion posted:

Where with Rita, the monster generally was the plan

Island of Illusion, Crystal of Nightmares, etc.
In fact the latter has the best Megazord fight ever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My favorite "can't fight the Dairanger monster" moment was when they used the monster Jin turned into, which didn't even fight the Megazord. It amounted to showing footage of him jumping around doing literally nothing to the rangers before they blew him up with a cutaway bazooka.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey yeah, this is pretty good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Enjoy a blurry Kyuranger toy catalog photo:

And that's not all, there's an 11th coming too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The episode I just watched today had Zedd wanting to make Kimberly his queen once and never again in the series, and it was just an excuse for Amy Jo Johnson to act like Rita, which is great because she's like the only good actor in the team. Also I guess there was a monster, but because we're using Dairanger monsters now, we can't fight him outside the Megazord.

One of my favorite Power Rangers scenes to be honest (mostly due to how spot on AJJ's impression is), you probably could have had her replace Barbara Goodson for an episode and I doubt a lot of people would have noticed much of a difference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It also has GOLDAR'S CAVE OF FANTASY, which is what I'm calling my bedroom from now on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aloadofhupla/status/827767140040183808

Haim Saban continues to be an absolute rear end in a top hat about a property that's technically not his.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/aloadofhupla/status/827767140040183808

Haim Saban continues to be an absolute rear end in a top hat about a property that's technically not his.

the suits are the movie suits tho which are his?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The suits don't look anything like the movie suits except that they're colored power armor!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So now having seen all there is to see from the Big 3 (Super Sentai, Kamen Rider & Ultraman, plus all of Power Rangers and both American Kamen Rider adaptions) I'm now going through and watching all the (completed) Toku that got an adaption in the west that wasn't a dub alongside the adaption itself, meaning MMPR-Dino Charge (Zyuranger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger), Masked Rider (Kamen Rider Black RX, ZO, J), Kamen Rider Dragon Knight (Ryuki), VR Troopers (Shaider, Speilban, Metalder), Beetleborgs/Beetleborgs Metallix (B-Fighter, B-Fighter Kabuto) and Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (Gridman). In the case of VR onward, this is the first time I'm seeing those shows in either version.

Thoughts so far:

-The first season of MMPR is really, really rough (understandably though). There's little story to speak of aside from Tommy's introduction, departure and reintroduction and a lot of times the teens can come off as bigger assholes than Bulk & Skull. In my opinion the show didn't really start finding its footing until Zedd came along in Season 2 and they were able to start doing more of their own thing.

-Masked Rider for some reason still annoys me more than almost any other adaption (though to be fair, Black RX is only a little bit better by comparison), most likely due to Ferbus and the fact that they decided to treat it more like a sitcom with super hero elements (the annoucer asking stupid questions over the credits isn't doing it any favors either).

-I'm liking VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs a lot more than I was expecting to, the shows have their share of problems of course but they also probably have the most effort put into them out of any of Saban's Non-Power Rangers adaptions. As for the latter I'm not sure which is the more ridiculous mentor, a giant beetle with a beard or a blue clown with the face of Jay Leno and the personality of Robin Williams (or possibly Jim Carrey).

- It kind of amuses me how Gridman and Syber Squad have almost the exact same premise (Though the former is actually kind of bland while the american version is 90's as gently caress, even if it did feel more like I was watching a Disney sitcom rather than a super hero show). It also contains one of the few instances of a character actually being toned up for the American version as Todo is just kind of an awkward kid who gets controlled by the villian while his counterpart Malcom was kind of screwed up in the head before he even met Kilo, he's also doing all of this entirely of his own free will.

As an aside, while Shaider and Metalder are the only ones out of the batch that I could find fully subbed I've actually been enjoying most of the Metal Hero shows I've seen so far. Are any of the rest worth checking out aside from maybe Gavan and Sharivan?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 4, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Juspion is worth it every goddamn second.

It's pure giant monster insanity in metal hero fun. The main villain is Satan Goth who looks like a knock off Darth Vader and his son is Mad Gallant and it's beautiful.

It's also fully subbed!

Jiban would be excellent as well if you wanted to see literal Toku RoboCop, but it sadly doesn't have any subs that I'm aware of. Apparently the source footage for the other half of VR troopers is really good but it also has no subs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Juspion is worth it every goddamn second.

It's pure giant monster insanity in metal hero fun. The main villain is Satan Goth who looks like a knock off Darth Vader and his son is Mad Gallant and it's beautiful.

It's also fully subbed!

Jiban would be excellent as well if you wanted to see literal Toku RoboCop, but it sadly doesn't have any subs that I'm aware of. Apparently the source footage for the other half of VR troopers is really good but it also has no subs.

That would be Space Sheriff Shaider, which does have complete subs and I've already watched (I think they're HK ones though, but I've seen worse). It was pretty good though (amusingly enough the shows used in VR Troopers were adapted in reverse order. The primary source, Metalder was actually the most recent of the bunch, Spielban, the show the other two troopers came from was actually the series that came directly before Metalder in Japan and the last one, Shaider was older than both of them).

Saban probably did as good a job as they could of as far as blending 3 completly seperate shows into one, of course this is also the reason why you almost never see all 3 Troopers fighting alongside one another.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 4, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

That would be Space Sheriff Shaider, which does have complete subs and I've already watched (I think they're HK ones though, but I've seen worse). It was pretty good though (amusingly enough the shows used in VR Troopers were adapted in reverse order. The primary source, Metalder was actually the most recent of the bunch, Spielban, the show the other two troopers came from was actually the series that came directly before Metalder in Japan and the last one, Shaider was older than both of them).

Saban probably did as good a job as they could of as far as blending 3 completly seperate shows into one, of course this is also the reason why you almost never see all 3 Troopers fighting alongside one another.

Actually I meant Spielban

The fun thing about VR Troopers was that original plan was for it to be an older audience series starring Jason David Frank, using the Metalder footage exclusively. Older audience meaning teens and the like. But then JDF went back to Power Rangers and they had to rejigger their plans.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

- It kind of amuses me how Gridman and Syber Squad have almost the exact same premise (Though the former is actually kind of bland while the american version is 90's as gently caress, even if it did feel more like I was watching a Disney sitcom rather than a super hero show).

As someone who was watching it when it was airing, that actually made it unique enough to watch everyday unlike every other show coasting along on PR's success.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Actually I meant Spielban

The fun thing about VR Troopers was that original plan was for it to be an older audience series starring Jason David Frank, using the Metalder footage exclusively. Older audience meaning teens and the like. But then JDF went back to Power Rangers and they had to rejigger their plans.

Ah, that show was pretty good too (Spielban was actually the show's secondary source as far as footage goes, it was Shaider that didn't get added in until the second half). In fact, VR Troopers actually had a missed oppurtunity in that regard, in Spielban one of the main plots early on was that the main character's father and sister had been captured by the enemy group and modified into monsters. About mid way through the sister, Helen, is finally able to break away from them and joins Spielban and Diana as a third warrior. In VR Troopers they used her monster form as well as retaining the plot point of said monster being a normal girl who was modified, however said girl did not end up joining the team and instead they just gave Kaitlin the ability to clone herself as Helen's suit was nearly identical aside from having a different weapon. I don't know, it might have worked better if they had just added a fourth member instead.

Also as an aside, the talking dog concept was another thing they directly lifted from Metalder (along with Grimlord/God Neros being a human businessman) only in that series the dog basically served as the mentor figure for the show rather than comedy relief.

Craptacular! posted:

As someone who was watching it when it was airing, that actually made it unique enough to watch everyday unlike every other show coasting along on PR's success.

Yeah, despite that I think this is a case where the American version is actually the better show (at least as far as the characters go), plus it has Tim Curry as the villain who is probably the biggest named actor we've seen in an American toku show aside from Vernon Wells as Ransik. Gridman, meanwhile is very on point and doesn't really waste much time with filler, which can be a problem as in the first episode we barely get an introduction to our main characters before getting dumped straight into the plot (though to be fair the show is basically Ultraman in Cyberspace and a lot of early shows in that franchise had kind of abrupt openings too).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 4, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Yeah, despite that I think this is a case where the American version is actually the better show (at least as far as the characters go), plus it has Tim Curry as the villain who is probably the biggest named actor we've seen in an American toku show aside from Vernon Wells as Ransik.

Don't forget Bryan Cranston before he made it big as several Power Ranger monsters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't forget Bryan Cranston before he made it big as several Power Ranger monsters.

I was mostly going with actors that had careers before they did those shows, if you want to count after the fact you could probably throw Amy Jo Johnson and Johnny Young Bosch on that list as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SSSS has a hell of a finale, if you cut off the last few moments of the episode.

In the final episode, the main character effectively dies after defeating Tim Curry and then ascends to the Heavens... only for at the last moment a reset button to get hit and all of that forgotten and reversed. If you stop the episode right where it should have been, it would have been a surprisingly effective ending.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

SSSS has a hell of a finale, if you cut off the last few moments of the episode.

In the final episode, the main character effectively dies after defeating Tim Curry and then ascends to the Heavens... only for at the last moment a reset button to get hit and all of that forgotten and reversed. If you stop the episode right where it should have been, it would have been a surprisingly effective ending.

Yeah, after that the show basically just starts recycling old footage again until it eventually peters out. Like you said, if you ignore the last few minutes then that episode ("Kilo's Coming to Town" I believe) serves as a decent finale (well that and the fact the footage it uses is from Gridman's final episode). However, as I plan on watching these shows to completion rather than skipping around to the episodes that are plot important I'll be handling Syber Sqaud this way: Watch the first 37 episodes, skip ahead a bit and watch episodes 40-53, then go back and watch what should have been the final two episodes to finish it off.

Metallix also had a finale of sorts in that they defeated the final villian from Kabuto and the cartoonist that was working with the villians (who were actually just the primary field commanders from the Metal Hero show) goes back to jail, even if said villians are never defeated. They did have a proper final battle in B-Fighter Kabuto but it was probably too violent for an American kids show (Jo's counterpart gets stabbed through the chest at one point for example, she is wearing her suit at the time but still...). The only non-PR American toku show I don't think ever got something akin to an ending was VR Troopers. In fact, unlike Metalder (which is a great show that everyone should watch by the way) I don't think the heroes in Troopers ever find out that Grimlord even has a civilian identity.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 5, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Never not watch Zubat

TN: "Wolf Guy from the Wolf Pack" means "off-color M. Bison with giant sideburns"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zubat is a show too good for this cruel world.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't help but feel like Zubat and V3 would get along like a house on fire.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

Only if AoRenger and Big One showed up to the party too.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

PMush Perfect posted:

I've always worked on the theory that Zubat was V3.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

jivjov posted:

Only if AoRenger and Big One showed up to the party too.

All being led by Chief Counsellor Naoyuki Miura.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Started watching Zyuohger and it's good so far. Don't care much for the blocks but Tusk being a dick is kinda cool and the villain aesthetic is pretty top notch. Saw a lot of gushing in this thread about it so I hope I can binge it hard over the next week!

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Zyuogher was good, ending was pretty straightforward, it was a fun series. Bring on my emo wolves and weightlifting bulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Zyuogher was good, ending was pretty straightforward, it was a fun series. Bring on my emo wolves and weightlifting bulls.

Yeah. Nothing too complicated or extra dramatic, just mostly taking down Genis and resolving the aftermath.

It looks like the main centers for Kyuranger and Red, Yellow and Green since they're the three non costumed characters in traditional colors as opposed to the typical Red, Blue and Yellow. Also the Tenth Ranger will be their commander. If there's a purported 11th Ranger, I'd expect a White one to fill out all of the colors except Grey which only became its own color after Kyoryuger. It'd also be tied for most members, I think

• Locked thread