Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Heck, I'm a Google diehard and really don't see why I should convince people to move off Hangouts. The one messenger gainig traction seems to be WhatsApp, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I admit I barely come to IYG, did a quick glance on the first page of the subforum and the first page of this thread and didn't see anything like this. I keep getting tons of robocalls, Indian IRS calls, and car warranty calls, I often let them hang up but sometimes answer them expecting another call from someone, is there a good, actual way to block these things? I downloaded a quick and lovely app but it's full of ads and seems more shady than it's worth. I'm either going to need to try and fix these calls, or just end up getting a new number as this one's pretty old.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

We def had this discussion before but I wanna say outside of the Google dialer most are spam ridden

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently, Android Auto (just on the phone, no car component) has been really flaky. It'll start fine when it connects to my car's bluetooth, but then it'll exit after about 20 seconds. Then it'll start back up again after maybe 10 seconds. It seems to behave worse if it's not actively navigating, but but that's not a foolproof way to prevent the problem. Does anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've never had it work well on my 5x with lots of random closures and lock ups. I think it's just overheating my phone. Having the sun beat down on it when it's attached to the windshield certainly isn't helping.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

iroguebot posted:

I admit I barely come to IYG, did a quick glance on the first page of the subforum and the first page of this thread and didn't see anything like this. I keep getting tons of robocalls, Indian IRS calls, and car warranty calls, I often let them hang up but sometimes answer them expecting another call from someone, is there a good, actual way to block these things? I downloaded a quick and lovely app but it's full of ads and seems more shady than it's worth. I'm either going to need to try and fix these calls, or just end up getting a new number as this one's pretty old.

See if the app called Hiya is needs-suiting.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

iroguebot posted:

If you're on T-mobile, look through here and turn on "scam block". https://explore.t-mobile.com/callprotection

I think other carriers may have similar things, but I don't know off the top of my head.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

iroguebot posted:

I've had some luck with TrueCaller but it's not exactly the best app ever.

Unfortunately it seems to be the best of what's available.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AnimalChin posted:

I've had some luck with TrueCaller but it's not exactly the best app ever.

Unfortunately it seems to be the best of what's available.

FWIW, I like the app I just mentioned (Hiya) more than TrueCaller, so maybe give that a try. Hiya seems to be better at blocking and identifying for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I like the app I just mentioned (Hiya) more than TrueCaller, so maybe give that a try. Hiya seems to be better at blocking and identifying for me.

Looking at the reviews on the Play Store page, and it looks like the latest version isn't very well received...

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I've had the notification on Hangouts for over a month now saying that SMS is getting removed and I was under the impression that the deadline was sometime in May.

I'm still using Hangouts with SMS, anyone else?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I still SMS through Hangouts but I was under the impression (for no reason I guess) that it was still allowing me to because I have Project Fi and that made me a special snowflake.

I feel less special now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Still works for me (don't break :o:)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I *think* it still works if you have a Google Voice number, it just can't be used for a standard carrier SMS number.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Medullah posted:

I *think* it still works if you have a Google Voice number, it just can't be used for a standard carrier SMS number.

As of last night when my mother-in-law was asking me about it, it still works with a standard carrier SMS number.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google voice was supposed to get killed off like three or four years ago. Just roll with it and don't look a gift horse in the mouth; they prolly forgot they were supposed to remove sms functionality

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Google voice was supposed to get killed off like three or four years ago. Just roll with it and don't look a gift horse in the mouth; they prolly forgot they were supposed to remove sms functionality

I might have agreed with you on Voice but they did just refresh it. They didn't even remove features when they did it so it's actually healthier than most things they do!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
What's the best video editing app? I downloaded the stock Samsung app, but it's not exporting an edited video in 60fps as the original video was recorded in. Unless I'm completely missing something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

What's the best video editing app? I downloaded the stock Samsung app, but it's not exporting an edited video in 60fps as the original video was recorded in. Unless I'm completely missing something.

I don't know if it's best, but Google Photos is always needs-suiting for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey, you guys were just talking about it and now look: Samsung's browser is available for all some devices.

e: Well, Nexus/Pixel ones at least.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 4, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

Hey, you guys were just talking about it and now look: Samsung's browser is available for all some devices.

e: Well, Nexus/Pixel ones at least.

Phiinix Jordann May 28, 2017
(one star)
I don't like the Saturn icon, we're not on Saturn we're on earth

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Better not let them see the EarthLink logo...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scudworth posted:

(one star)

I'd like to rate this rating 5/5.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Not sure why but my songs in Google Music Player on my Nexus won't play automatically after I click on it. I now have to click on the song I want to play, and then click on the play button. Any reason why this is happening?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a camera app for Nexus 5X that can time the flash to coincide with the shutter?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Is there a camera app for Nexus 5X that can time the flash to coincide with the shutter?

It's funny that this is a thing. (happens on the 6P too)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Cool cool cool, my alarm went off silently this morning because apparently when Android installed all of my apps on my new phone the other day, it never gave AMDroid any permissions, nor did the app ever ask for them even though I went in and double checked my alarm tone. Thanks Android.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm not really sure Android is to blame when you're using a third party alarm app and didn't give it necessary permissions to function

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scudworth posted:

(one star)

This is art.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Train posted:

I'm not really sure Android is to blame when you're using a third party alarm app and didn't give it necessary permissions to function

He said it never asked for permissions. As in it needed them, never requested them, then silently failed.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He said it never asked for permissions. As in it needed them, never requested them, then silently failed.

Sounds like an issue for the application developer to address.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

nimper posted:

Sounds like an issue for the application developer to address.

It might be. Everything worked fine when I set it up initially on my 6P, but when Android copied my data over the Pixel, I didn't have to redo my settings in the app. All I did was make sure I still had the right alarm tone. I would think it would request permissions when I chose the tone, but it didn't. The thing is, I'm not sure why it failed in the first place since I'm pretty sure the alarm I'm using is one that comes with the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What permissions does an alarm require?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not sure why you'd use any alarm app other than Timely tbh

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

What permissions does an alarm require?

Access to media for personal ringtones, can't think of anything else it might need

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The thing is, I'm not sure why it failed in the first place since I'm pretty sure the alarm I'm using is one that comes with the app.

If the default app ringtone is not one of the system ringtones I could see it requiring permission first

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not sure why you'd use any alarm app other than Timely tbh

My biggest reasons for switching from timely were the ability to skip the next alarm (for days off) and a holiday schedule so I wouldn't even have to remember to turn it off for holidays.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My biggest reasons for switching from timely were the ability to skip the next alarm (for days off) and a holiday schedule so I wouldn't even have to remember to turn it off for holidays.

Same, that's the main reason I switched as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oh ok, that makes sense!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an app or software that's like an address book, but allows me to add a bunch of more detailed info, or add my own data fields like siblings and favorite pie and whatever. Even if it is just a more detailed address book I'd be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tsyni posted:

I'm looking for an app or software that's like an address book, but allows me to add a bunch of more detailed info, or add my own data fields like siblings and favorite pie and whatever. Even if it is just a more detailed address book I'd be interested.

A lot of this is available in Contacts already. You can add notes and a ton of other fields in the app, and it all syncs up to contacts.google.com