Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

The Mash posted:

Don't tell anyone, but Jhin is just Varus with different power spikes

I just cleared by this post and nodded and then like a dozen people went apoplectic about it. Not sure why.

They both rely heavily on poke for lane control, both can be played mid or ADC, both are very immobile and dangerous to play against dive comps, both have ultimates which control positioning in team fights.

I've played a lot lot lot of Varus and I haven't played Jhin but I've laned with him a bunch since he's come out. I see a lot of similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Since we are talking about Jhin I love him and I usually hate playing ADC but he's really fun and I feel like I do well with him even in games I lose.

I would like to echo the person earlier who said they struggled with his traps. Bond or anyone else playing Jhin -- what's the optimal use on them? They take so long to explode they are easily walked out of, and in laning it's always really obvious when I've dropped one so the support will just go clear it safely the second I get out of range. I try dropping them in the chaos of teamfights but then it's just time I'm not shooting people and most people still seem to be able to just move out of the way once they trigger. Right now I'm basically just using them as wards, which seems powerful enough, but I feel like there's some sort of major use for them I'm completely missing.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Libertine posted:

I just cleared by this post and nodded and then like a dozen people went apoplectic about it. Not sure why.

They both rely heavily on poke for lane control, both can be played mid or ADC, both are very immobile and dangerous to play against dive comps, both have ultimates which control positioning in team fights.

I've played a lot lot lot of Varus and I haven't played Jhin but I've laned with him a bunch since he's come out. I see a lot of similarities.

Because besides having a long range narrow skillshot there isn't anything the two really share in common. You just finished saying you haven't played Jhin at all so you're making the same boneheaded sweeping generalization comment mister misfortune boner guy made, which he should rightly be smashed for making.

If you want to really get nitpicky about it yes, Jhin and Varus both wait on the fringe of a fight to do things, explode when engaged on and have no dash and cast spells while waiting for imitators to start a fight but that describes drat near every adc in the game

Furthermore he's a regular poster out here so no kiddie gloves are needed because while he made a profoundly stupid comment he's not all that bad, much like many of the posters here

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 16, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jhin has a 2200 range snare

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Neon Strike Vi makes an annoying noise at the very start of her recall that you can spam.

She can also flip her glasses up and down with her taunt

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jhin and Varus don't even share any letters in their name how can you say they're similar what the heck?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Jhin and varus both die the same to j4 mid.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Now see what I wanna know is if there's any decent combination of runes and masteries that don't make Jarvan's initial clear worse than Sejuani's older clears. I'm sure I'm loving something up but it seems like he gets the everloving poo poo beaten out of him on his first buff camp and 30-60% after the second buff camp with the standard 15 AD runes and armor and poo poo.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The answer is taking J4 mid and don't buy boots. With full arpen runes.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you could try doing the 6 rush clear and skip both your buffs, or just do a level 2 gank path and hope for the best

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Not the answer I'm looking for but yes, I know he's hilarious as an assassin in lane

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 16, 2016

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I find if you clear krug(smite) into chickens into red (smite) into scuttle crab sets you with enough HP to continue clearing until you have enough money for your smite upgrade and building item for your jungle item, if not, level 6.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Servaetes posted:

Not the answer I'm looking for but yes, I know he's hilarious as an assassin in lane

Use attack speed please

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Servaetes posted:

Stick to opinions on MF bub

:drat:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jhin ult is probably a better engage tool than Varus ult :v:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Servaetes posted:

Now see what I wanna know is if there's any decent combination of runes and masteries that don't make Jarvan's initial clear worse than Sejuani's older clears. I'm sure I'm loving something up but it seems like he gets the everloving poo poo beaten out of him on his first buff camp and 30-60% after the second buff camp with the standard 15 AD runes and armor and poo poo.

This is just his clear, it's terrible now.

Radical posted:

you could try doing the 6 rush clear and skip both your buffs, or just do a level 2 gank path and hope for the best

I would do this anytime you can (the level 2 gank). His level 2 gank pressure is still immense.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

Jhin ult is probably a better engage tool than Varus ult :v:

varus doesn't have an ult man

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

attn: whoever it was who had doubts on the power of galio vs leblanc

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You were really good, Galibro.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

sad to see blood moon shen and hyper carry irelia both forced to find work with other champions, the economy just isnt what it used to be

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Aerox posted:

Since we are talking about Jhin I love him and I usually hate playing ADC but he's really fun and I feel like I do well with him even in games I lose.

I would like to echo the person earlier who said they struggled with his traps. Bond or anyone else playing Jhin -- what's the optimal use on them? They take so long to explode they are easily walked out of, and in laning it's always really obvious when I've dropped one so the support will just go clear it safely the second I get out of range. I try dropping them in the chaos of teamfights but then it's just time I'm not shooting people and most people still seem to be able to just move out of the way once they trigger. Right now I'm basically just using them as wards, which seems powerful enough, but I feel like there's some sort of major use for them I'm completely missing.

Just pretend they do no damage and only provide vision and slow. Having the explosion hit a champion just doesn't happen much and they don't hit that hard anyway. You can snare someone after they've tripped one whether or not they actually take damage though, which is useful sometimes. They're your escape path and early warning system.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 16, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

Jhin relies heavily on AA and the threat of the 4th auto for lane control. He plays a lot more similar to Caitlyn, but doesn't really have any other good consistent harass tools like peacemaker. His W is ok at poking through the wave but it's on a super long CD and better saved for CC chains.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Jhin...is good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So is the only way to get Lootcrates with an S-rank and that's 1/champion per season? I've already hit that with my commonly played so I'm just wondering if that means no more lootcrates for me until S7 barring more champ diversity.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

NTT posted:

Jhin...is good

Graves...is good

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

So is the only way to get Lootcrates with an S-rank and that's 1/champion per season? I've already hit that with my commonly played so I'm just wondering if that means no more lootcrates for me until S7 barring more champ diversity.

If anyone gets an S rank in your premade you get a crate for that champ regardless of your grade. I'd recommend just playing premades. I already got all 4 of my crates even though I only got one S.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
AFAICT the one chest per champion rule applies no matter who got you the chest. I got one on Xerath off someone else's S rank and I'm now ineligible to get anymore.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Guys, I want to like Zed. I really do. He's a champ that's pretty much always viable, is useful in tons of team comps, and there's always room for improvement on him mechanically. Also I got the SKT T1 skin during that "Buy a legendary skin, get a free skin" deal.

How do I make myself like him?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's one chest per champion that YOU play, unlocked by anyone you queued with getting an S-, S, or S+ rank, and you can get a maximum of 4 chests per month.

Key fragments can show up from any game randomly regardless of S ranks or champion played or anything else.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Guys, I want to like Zed. I really do. He's a champ that's pretty much always viable, is useful in tons of team comps, and there's always room for improvement on him mechanically. Also I got the SKT T1 skin during that "Buy a legendary skin, get a free skin" deal.

Stand in front of a guy, press W-E-Q until the guy is low, then do that again but press R first.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

alright need a tag suggestion for the overflow parking crew

no methanar suggestions accepted

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Why do you want to like a champion that you don't? He's not a champion hats even adequate until you've played a hundred games on them, so why not play something you find fun? Try Talon, Diana, or Fizz and see if they click with you.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Servaetes posted:

LLJK has historical importance

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Servaetes posted:

Can we take BDC away from imaqtpie or is that long gone

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah, Kaela, if you're in here, you need to drop that tag so I can scoop it. Every permutation of poop seems to have been taken, as have anything involving boobs

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Also can you add me to the club please thanks

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Talon lost a lot of win rate with the ult nerf and has a lower winrate than Zed does at every single amount of games played on the champ. Zed is hard to do the sick outplays on but can still be fine if you just can hit double shurikens, honestly

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Luna Was Here posted:

Also can you add me to the club please thanks

i honestly do not know what your name is currently, you need to message me it

e: nevermind got you covered

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 17, 2016

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Talon lost a lot of win rate with the ult nerf and has a lower winrate than Zed does at every single amount of games played on the champ. Zed is hard to do the sick outplays on but can still be fine if you just can hit double shurikens, honestly

Oh I forgot that the Talon nerf went through. Don't play Talon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I hate stealth champs ever since red trinket doesn't give true sight anymore and there isn't the free pink ward every minute or whatever it was.

• Locked thread