Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like poking fun at a comedy show for being silly is sort of missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s just fun to hear what those two deadly serious characters would say if presented with that world. *They* don’t know it’s meant to be a joke.

Anyway, that was wonderful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love how they’re baffled at first but just naturally both fall into mocking it at the same time. I can buy that they would bond by mercilessly ridiculing things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like that they're forced to admit the 66 Batmobile is still pretty cool.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I just like that Terry is being acknowledged. Batman Beyond continuation when!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Batman Beyond continuation when!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurdiak posted:

I like that they're forced to admit the 66 Batmobile is still pretty cool shway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Android Blues posted:

I just like that Terry is being acknowledged. Batman Beyond continuation when!

There's been several attempts at continuing it in the comics and it never turns out well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vandar posted:

There's been several attempts at continuing it in the comics and it never turns out well.

Because they always add some dumb twists to the formula rather than play it straight

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The dumbest twist was added by Justice League Unlimited, tho

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least we know he wasn’t erased by the time travel episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the comic continuations are always like, "what if Batman Beyond was darker and edgier" which translates to like, "what if we killed off various characters and put Terry through unimaginable psychic trauma", when the original series was actually dark and edgy in interesting, generative ways that didn't involve random carnage for no reason.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a comic book continuation of a tv show. They always fall flat for me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Darker is easy. Being mature about it is the hard bit.

Also maintaining the balance of drama so it doesn't just get depressing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The worst Batman Beyond comic attempt put Tim Drake into the suit and, well, gently caress that poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the Batman Beyond comics is also where we got the infamous panel of Barbara telling Bruce she's pregnant and that it's not Dick's. :barf:

At least that Batman Beyond book from 99 was fun!

It was deliberately targeted at kids. Much like the BTAS books that were published around the same time, which were also great.

After those 30 issues though, the property is cursed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

One of the Batman Beyond comics is also where we got the infamous panel of Barbara telling Bruce she's pregnant and that it's not Dick's. :barf:

That got worse the more I looked into it and it starts off bad. I shouldn't have looked into it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

That got worse the more I looked into it and it starts off bad. I shouldn't have looked into it.

Cursed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

The worst Batman Beyond comic attempt put Tim Drake into the suit and, well, gently caress that poo poo.

That's actually the start of the current series, and was a spin-off/followup to the utterly forgettable Future's End event. Then over time (presumably after someone figured out no one gave a poo poo about Future's End) everybody went "oh, our timeline's changing now" and Tim Drake finds Terry then just Marty McFlys out of the universe. Then they just find Bruce in a pod somewhere even though he was supposed to be dead.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Killing off Bruce in the comics was also a horrible decision. His whole vibe - this weathered ex-superhero who is no longer capable of doing the thing he's devoted his life to, and so trains an apprentice who he overbearingly micro-manages and is hypercritical of because he's still trying to be Batman by proxy - is so central to the series' concept and drives much of the dramatic tension in Terry's character. Wiping him off the board for cheap drama was silly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like honestly a lot of Batman Beyond episodes aren't that great, the villains mostly don't have the pathos or dramatic irony of the BTAS rogues' gallery and that kinda takes the wind out of the sails of a lot of them, but even in a subpar episode the dynamic between Bruce and Terry is engaging as heck. They're so good together.

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 26, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Like honestly a lot of Batman Beyond episodes aren't that great, the villains mostly don't have the pathos or dramatic irony of the BTAS rogues' gallery and that kinda takes the wind out of the sails of a lot of them, but even in a subpar episode the dynamic between Bruce and Terry is engaging as heck. They're so good together.

While true, sometimes you did get episodes like (I think) Dead Man's Hand where Terry meets Ten from the Royal Flush Gang and it slaps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

While true, sometimes you did get episodes like (I think) Dead Man's Hand where Terry meets Ten from the Royal Flush Gang and it slaps.

Hell yeah, there's definitely some great ones in there. And Blight was a pretty cool villain, even if he was just Norman Osborn.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There are some fantastic Batman Beyond episodes and, in particular, Inque is an all-time best Batman rogue. Inqueling and Disappearing Inque are real good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Hell yeah, there's definitely some great ones in there. And Blight was a pretty cool villain, even if he was just Norman Osborn.

The secret of Batman Beyond is that it's basically a Spider-Man cartoon

Hell Shriek is basically what if Shocker looked like an Apple device

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

The secret of Batman Beyond is that it's basically a Spider-Man cartoon

Hell Shriek is basically what if Shocker looked like an Apple device

Yeah it's not subtle. There's a Kraven ripoff, a Mysterio ripoff, the evil Fantastic Four... The central dynamic of the lippy future greaser and his grumpy mentor is all-original though.

Android Blues posted:

There are some fantastic Batman Beyond episodes and, in particular, Inque is an all-time best Batman rogue. Inqueling and Disappearing Inque are real good.

She's pretty good on a curve but I wouldn't put her in my top 10 or even 20 Batman rogues.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

To be fair, Spellbinder is as much Future Scarecrow as he is Mysterio. And Shocker and Shriek don't really have a lot in common.

The Kraven rip-off is absolutely blatant though, yeah. And suffers for it, his episodes are real dull!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The villains may not have been as iconic as Two Face or Joker but what they did with them was usually really unique. The reporter who snuck into the bat cave didn’t even have a cool costume but drat if he didn’t have a great episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheHan posted:

The villains may not have been as iconic as Two Face or Joker but what they did with them was usually really unique. The reporter who snuck into the bat cave didn’t even have a cool costume but drat if he didn’t have a great episode.

That was a very good one.

Still though, Big Time was terrible, and there was that episode with the Ma Baker pastiche, and Curare had nothing going on with her at all other than she kills people and looks like a racist stereotype.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also Kobra blows. But most of the show's tail end is kind of a mess.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Lurdiak posted:

Still though, Big Time was terrible, and there was that episode with the Ma Baker pastiche, and Curare had nothing going on with her at all other than she kills people and looks like a racist stereotype.

Not gonna lie...kinda liked the Eggbaby episode. But yeah all these guys were stinkers, didn't even lend themselves to a good story concept. The highs are high enough that overall the show's fondly remembered by me, but I think that's due to forgetting all the episodes that were "Superman vs. Giant Monkey" tier.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember that Terry had a much higher killrate than Bruce, so that's one of the reasons why the series had less recurring villains. Like a lot of them just died accidentally, but I think I remember at least a few guys that Terry straight-up murdered.

Also the bulk of Batman Beyond was totally original, so it didn't have the premade character archetypes to work off of. The original Batman Animated series had a number of original characters, but even though some of them took off, nobody remembers people like the guy enslaving orphans in the sewers. Mr.Freeze may have been revamped enough to practically become a new character, but he was still working off of a design that came way earlier.

Lurdiak posted:

I think I like Blight better than Norman Osborne. The Green Goblin had a weird thing where he was crazy and tried to conquer organized crime for some reason, Blight was always totally sane, just a totally normal and typical high-powered businessman. Mutating cost him everything when his failson betrayed him.

There's other villains like the orange hypnotist guy, the sound guy with like bear paws on his fighting outfit, Mad Stan, Kraven, ratboy, Inque, or that kid who developed psychic powers after having his mind fused with a construction robot, but so often Batman Beyond didn't leave its villains in much of a condition to reappear.

That snake cult probably ended up all dead after mutating into a species that couldn't survive in the current climate, the guy who could phase through solid matter fell into the earth's core, the splicer guy I think exploded after mutating into a horrible blob crab, the guy who was mutated into a dirt golem after exposure to biohazardous waste I think was dead from the beginning, the Fantastic Four went missing but had like a week to live, and there was that rich guy who made an AI after his death to try overwriting his great grandson's brain that got deleted.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

In the comics, IIRC her brother turned out to be the Green Lantern from the Justice League episodes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh no that guy was pretty boring too! Definitely in the top ten Batman Beyond episodes though. Overall I liked the one-off villain episodes more than the recurring ones, but Shriek, Inque and Blight were always great in their stories (Shriek had one lame episode though). Feel like you could get a good comic run out of any of them.

Also just, stop drawing the beyond suit so ugly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Another thing that's great about the show is the setting. Instead of a generic future city it's like Gotham meets Blade Runner, where there's deeply embedded problems with corporations being too powerful and the flying car cops are huge jerks who just try to kill everyone in a costume.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's other villains like the orange hypnotist guy, the sound guy with like bear paws on his fighting outfit, Mad Stan, Kraven, ratboy, Inque, or that kid who developed psychic powers after having his mind fused with a construction robot, but so often Batman Beyond didn't leave its villains in much of a condition to reappear.

Mad Stan's initial appearance is just a very short absurd scene in the otherwise quite boring ratboy episode, and it's truly joyous. Then they brought him back and it was miserable.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember that Terry had a much higher killrate than Bruce, so that's one of the reasons why the series had less recurring villains. Like a lot of them just died accidentally, but I think I remember at least a few guys that Terry straight-up murdered.

Bruce's objection to murder greatly diminished with age, which makes sense considering how embittered he is, and while Terry's a comparatively soft-hearted guy, he definitely is ok with letting the particularly hateful villains die.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 26, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bringing in a peer friend for Terry to confide in kind of ruined the dynamic of the show for me. There's nothing wrong with Max as written, but she diminishes the bleakness and urgency of Terry and Bruce's situation and makes them less marginalized than they are in that first season where it's just a kid and an old man who can't do anything that isn't punching people as batman and who nobody will listen to or respect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Bruce's objection to murder greatly diminished with age, which makes sense considering how embittered he is, and while Terry's a comparatively soft-hearted guy, he definitely is ok with letting the particularly hateful villains die.
Villains, hell, Terry happily drops rubble on security guards and stuff like that. It's not quite Golden Age Batman levels of brutality but he does kill a lot of henchmen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I love Batman Beyond, but I will admit I despise that it's the canon future for the DCAU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Villains, hell, Terry happily drops rubble on security guards and stuff like that. It's not quite Golden Age Batman levels of brutality but he does kill a lot of henchmen.

Hey, he's just keeping up the time honored Bat-tradition of "well I guess that's technically not killing but goddamn" takedowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Hey, he's just keeping up the time honored Bat-tradition of "well I guess that's technically not killing but goddamn" takedowns

Christian Bale voice: "I don't have to save you"