Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
A lot of other characters had lift, as well.

Neither of them were good for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

peer posted:

I wanted the game to end when Shepard is blacking out and a dude yells "SHEPARD!! NOTHING'S HAPPENING?!?" over the comms

That would have opened up a post-apoc setting sequel at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Michaellaneous posted:

That would have opened up a post-apoc setting sequel at least.

Uhhh...wouldn't really be post-apoc since the apocalypse would still be going on. At that point the Reapers were still going strong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Arrival and Overlord, you can take or leave.

Counterpoint: Overlord is quite good at atmosphere and tension and is well worth the time for someone who hasn't played it before

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Drifter posted:

Uhhh...wouldn't really be post-apoc since the apocalypse would still be going on. At that point the Reapers were still going strong.

Oh yes I forgot the reapers are actually slow as gently caress.
I was imagining Shepard sleeping through the apoc and then waking up to fight with the resistance against the aliens on the destroyed worlds and poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Digirat posted:

Counterpoint: Overlord is quite good at atmosphere and tension and is well worth the time for someone who hasn't played it before

True, but it doesn't add anything to the plot. Like Leviathan and Arrival, I consider it fun but nonessential (I'm the weirdo who likes the solo challenge mode aspect of Arrival).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Keru posted:

Kaidan has Lift, and by ME3 has figured out how to turn his Biotic Sweat into some kind of biotic armor. :colbert:

he's still boring mc boring

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

True, but it doesn't add anything to the plot. Like Leviathan and Arrival, I consider it fun but nonessential (I'm the weirdo who likes the solo challenge mode aspect of Arrival).

Yo, you mean the plot that everyone complains about was done pretty poorly, overall? Who gives a poo poo. Mass Effect is at its best when dealing with smaller, constrained stories. Did you REALLY give a poo poo about the reapers? Fun but nonessential is not a bad thing - I can't even imagine that would be a bad thing. Like, fun is the loving point of playing a game (for most people).

You're a cool dude, but I think your recommendation matrix is pretty flawed on this one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Leviathan's not that fun, and the lab portions are really tedious. I feel like it gets too overrated on the basis that it "adds to the plot".

Overlord is fun, and Omega is more fun than Leviathan.

Shadow Broker and Citadel supremacy, I won't argue with that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 30, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

Yo, you mean the plot that everyone complains about was done pretty poorly, overall? Who gives a poo poo. Mass Effect is at its best when dealing with smaller, constrained stories. Did you REALLY give a poo poo about the reapers? Fun but nonessential is not a bad thing - I can't even imagine that would be a bad thing. Like, fun is the loving point of playing a game (for most people).

You're a cool dude, but I think your recommendation matrix is pretty flawed on this one.

I think Mass Effect generally has an enjoyable plot - not a good plot, but an enjoyable one - and Overlord amounts to a neat side adventure. Some people care about the plot and want a reason to do things, others just say it's fun and that's its own merit (this is my view on Citadel, for one).

Overlord's not my cup of tea, so I put it in the "nice but nonessential" category of DLC with Arrival, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Leviathan. My must-have category is Stealing Memory, Price of Revenge, and Citadel. My firm skip category is Bring Down The Sky, Pinnacle Station, and Omega.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

I think Mass Effect generally has an enjoyable plot - not a good plot, but an enjoyable one - and Overlord amounts to a neat side adventure. Some people care about the plot and want a reason to do things, others just say it's fun and that's its own merit (this is my view on Citadel, for one).

Overlord's not my cup of tea, so I put it in the "nice but nonessential" category of DLC with Arrival, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Leviathan. My must-have category is Stealing Memory, Price of Revenge, and Citadel. My firm skip category is Bring Down The Sky, Pinnacle Station, and Omega.

It's pretty hilarious that the start of ME3 is a direct continuation of Bring Down the Sky, which was kinda fuckin' dumb. And then her entire fuckshit during ME3 is a kid dying or whatever. And yeah, Omega is something that you could totally play and be cool with(for the most part), but you shouldn't ever actually buy it. Waste of money.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

It's pretty hilarious that the start of ME3 is a direct continuation of Bring Down the Sky, which was kinda fuckin' dumb. And then her entire fuckshit during ME3 is a kid dying or whatever. And yeah, Omega is something that you could totally play and be cool with(for the most part), but you shouldn't ever actually buy it. Waste of money.

My line on Omega is "Do you like Aria and want to play a story focusing on her?" I do not on either count, so I skip Omega. If you do, go for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Drifter posted:

It's pretty hilarious that the start of ME3 is a direct continuation of Bring Down the Sky,

Wrong batarians.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Moola posted:

he's still boring mc boring

Good - he's like the only squad mate with no crippling emotional and mental issues - just headaches and a mild distrust of commanders-cum-terrorists-cum-commanders

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Mild distrust, more like paranoia. Dudes not right in the head.

Rinkles posted:

Wrong batarians.

Wait, I thought that's why she was in marine prison? What other extremely large civilization of Batarians did she kill?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Wait, I thought that's why she was in marine prison? What other extremely large civilization of Batarians did she kill?

an entire planet in Arrival

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Drifter posted:

They're saying that you're mixing up different DLCs. Arrival is the one where Shepard wipes out a Batarian planet. Bring Down the Sky is about something different.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still amazed the setting got nuked so badly that they needed to jump ship to an entirely different galaxy. The first game states that less than 1% of the Milky Way's stars had been explored, and of that only a fraction were colonized. Of course, the only ending where you could explore the rest of the Milky Way is the Destroy Ending, since that is the only one that doesn't end with a colossal paradigm shift that uproots the entire setting.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arrival is the same basic story as Bring Down the Sky. BDtS is about Batarian terrorists hijacking an asteroid and crashing it into a human colony, Terra Nova, to wipe it out.
Arrival is about Shepard crashing an asteroid into a mass relay to stop the Reapers from arriving through it and in the process destroying a Batarian colony, Aratoht and the entire system too.
I always wondered if it was supposed to be deep meaningful commentary on 'who is the terrorist now hmm Shepard' and then I remembered that this is Bioware we're talking about and that it probably is just lazy story recycling.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

I always wondered if it was supposed to be deep meaningful commentary on 'who is the terrorist now hmm Shepard'

That's a very easy question

It depends oh how many glowing red scars shepard's face has at the moment

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

They're saying that you're mixing up different DLCs. Arrival is the one where Shepard wipes out a Batarian planet. Bring Down the Sky is about something different.

Dammit. My bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Helith posted:

Arrival is the same basic story as Bring Down the Sky. BDtS is about Batarian terrorists hijacking an asteroid and crashing it into a human colony, Terra Nova, to wipe it out.
Arrival is about Shepard crashing an asteroid into a mass relay to stop the Reapers from arriving through it and in the process destroying a Batarian colony, Aratoht and the entire system too.
I always wondered if it was supposed to be deep meaningful commentary on 'who is the terrorist now hmm Shepard' and then I remembered that this is Bioware we're talking about and that it probably is just lazy story recycling.

Killing bararians isn't terrorism. It's pest control.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Killing geth isn't terrorism. It's routine maintenance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Michaellaneous posted:

They should have stopped ME3 with you and the admiral passing out because that was actually a touching moment instead of releasing that dogshit of an endingn

Any cliffhanger is better than ME3 starchild.

:agreed:

ME3 had it's share of issues. Perhaps a shitload of issues. Definitely actually.

However once the final battle for URF started it transformed the whole game into a bargain bin CoD knockoff and the ending was a skidmark down your monitor.

The only solution is total galactic destruction and hopefully ME:A delivers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I actually thought it was pretty touching when Anderson and Shep were chilling for a moment looking out the picture window on Citadel right before the end. That was pretty solid.

The ending wwould have been better if Shepard had literally pushed the button right there and all the reapers and poo poo died. Like cut out the conversation with the starkid and skip right to the destroy cutscene.

DancingShade posted:

The only solution is total galactic destruction and hopefully ME:A delivers.

:laugh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

No YOU shut up dad. :argh:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Drifter posted:

I actually thought it was pretty touching when Anderson and Shep were chilling for a moment looking out the picture window on Citadel right before the end. That was pretty solid.

The ending wwould have been better if Shepard had literally pushed the button right there and all the reapers and poo poo died. Like cut out the conversation with the starkid and skip right to the destroy cutscene.

:laugh:

I remember thinking, "What the gently caress were people complaining about?" during that part.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

I remember thinking, "What the gently caress were people complaining about?" during that part.

And then the pedestal starts to rise...

I was lucky enough to not have played it until after they'd done the "extended" cut of it. I remember thinking, okay this is stupid and at best run-of-the-mill poo poo, but nothing worth internet outrage, but then I watched the original endings on youtube and was just floored that Bioware thought it was okay to actually released it like that. It was essentially the equivalent of an arcade flashing Congratulation! You are win before kicking to the credits. Haha.

The DLC also added to the whole story to make things even slightly more palatable. Leviathan was a nice little stepping stone to the story. That poo poo should have been in the freaking vanilla game, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 30, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

posts here made me nostalgic for DA:I and holy gently caress I forgot how dreary and boring this game is, it's like an interactive encyclopedia for war-crimes complete with page-turning via clicking

if this is the level of gameplay/writing we can expect for ME:A I might just wait for a sale. No wonder I never picked up any DLC for this lovely game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JawKnee posted:

posts here made me nostalgic for DA:I and holy gently caress I forgot how dreary and boring this game is, it's like an interactive encyclopedia for war-crimes complete with page-turning via clicking

if this is the level of gameplay/writing we can expect for ME:A I might just wait for a sale. No wonder I never picked up any DLC for this lovely game.

The DA team and the ME team are two different things, I think. But yes, DAInq left a terrible taste in my mouth, gameplay-wise. It was pretty bioware-y story-wise.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I have more hope for the ME gameplay because frankly ME3 had very fun gameplay and I don't want them to gently caress with it. I really hope there's actually no overlap in the writing team because the only fun mission in this goddamn game is attending a ball in Val Royeaux and they still think it's a good idea to encourage the player into picking up litter

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I liked DA:I but it needs serious pruning to be replayable because there is so much filler content. So loving much.

I'm not even sure what counts as core story content. Choose your subfaction story mission, religious town going under siege, find new castle, grey warden keep, red templar subquest area, elf ruins, endgame dungeon?
poo poo I think there were only ~5-6 parts of the game that weren't filler garbage. They were good mind you but bloody hell there was a lot of bullshit to put up with to get there.

I made it through my first playthrough ok - enjoyed it enough - but my second keeps stalling because I load it up, look at the map and go "oh gently caress this" and quit again immediately.

ME:A needs to adopt the mission structure of ME:2 but I suspect it's literally going to be DA:I In Space because that was the most recent associated money earner. Oh well...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think the real problem Bioware must deal with is that since their last RPG release, we had the whole Niche RPG boom caused by kickstarter, with games that are way more compelling than anything bioware was putting out. Even loving bethesda started doing somewhat competent stuff with FO4.

Their formula just feels extremely stale for years now. And action wise I'm pretty sure people are tired of cover shooters.

Also if they are planning on a first quarter 2017, shouldn't we have heard more of the game by now?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

nerdz posted:

Even loving bethesda started doing somewhat competent stuff with FO4.

Noted Role Playing Game Fall Out 4

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

I made it through my first playthrough ok - enjoyed it enough - but my second keeps stalling because I load it up, look at the map and go "oh gently caress this" and quit again immediately.

Haha, a week ago I downloaded the entire game from Origin to try a second playthrough of it. The second instance of combat at the beginning of the game I just felt this overwhelming anti-desire to go and MMO my way through the game and uninstalled it.

I just couldn't do it. Having played through DAInq once already way back in the day, I just couldn't loving stand to go through it again.

And LOL about the poster who is trying to suggest FO4 is a good game. Hahah, Jesus Christ. FIREWATCH is a better loving game than FO4.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

And LOL about the poster who is trying to suggest FO4 is a good game. Hahah, Jesus Christ. FIREWATCH is a better loving game than FO4.

Since when saying a game is less infuriating than ME3 high praise?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Haha, a week ago I downloaded the entire game from Origin to try a second playthrough of it. The second instance of combat at the beginning of the game I just felt this overwhelming anti-desire to go and MMO my way through the game and uninstalled it.

I just couldn't do it. Having played through DAInq once already way back in the day, I just couldn't loving stand to go through it again.

The worst thing about how stomach churning the idea of a second playthrough is that when I did my first one I didn't import my Dragon Age Keep special save game correctly, and didn't realise this until I was many hours in.

Naturally I just went "gently caress it" and kept going but I still want to see a playthrough where all my terrible choices reflected. Just don't think it's ever going to happen unless my tolerance for single player MMOs comes back.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Did I overlook this? Did the Keep let you set major decisions and randomize everything else, because I remember being annoyed at being asked about every stupid little sidequest that I didn't remember.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lycus posted:

Did I overlook this? Did the Keep let you set major decisions and randomize everything else, because I remember being annoyed at being asked about every stupid little sidequest that I didn't remember.

Yep. I'm 99% sure you could do that, if you just did Varric's narrated choices portion, and left everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

The worst thing about how stomach churning the idea of a second playthrough is that when I did my first one I didn't import my Dragon Age Keep special save game correctly, and didn't realise this until I was many hours in.

Naturally I just went "gently caress it" and kept going but I still want to see a playthrough where all my terrible choices reflected. Just don't think it's ever going to happen unless my tolerance for single player MMOs comes back.

The Keep has a whole bunch of little poo poo that literally doesn't even reflect any flag changes in game. The point of the Keep isn't to make plot changes and poo poo, it was to acknowledge the fact that someone signed up with/into Origin.
Importing a keep save really just provides nods and mentions and a cameo or two. And I guess if Alistair is a king or a dead person or whatever.

I REALLY don't think much noteworthy changes.