Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

A lot of countries in Africa are doing pretty okay, there exist black people there who lead middle class lives and aren't terrorized and murdered by a racist police system

Isn't Africa also looking at doing a European Union sort of thing? Last I heard Africa is continually becoming less and less of a war torn hell hole because, surprise surprise, war sucks and people prefer to get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't Africa also looking at doing a European Union sort of thing? Last I heard Africa is continually becoming less and less of a war torn hell hole because, surprise surprise, war sucks and people prefer to get along.

The African Union has been around for a number of years and there's been a Pan-African movement for a long time, but it faces a lot of hurdles and constraints. There's also been incredible progress in general terms of SoL across Africa as well as cooperation fighting groups like Boko Haram, but there's still a lot of war, disease and political corruption.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Can people stop using Africa as the catch-all shithole location please

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

silence_kit posted:

I think that everybody in this thread could benefit from a little perspective and take a moment to reflect upon themselves and realize just how much privilege everyone here really has.

http://www.worldhunger.org/asia-hunger-facts/ 512 million people (this is over 10x the black population in the US!) go hungry in Asia. Kind of makes the issue of food deserts in urban areas look insignificant, doesn't it? At least poor African Americans have enough food to eat, since obesity is a prevalent problem in the African American community.

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-most-corrupt-police-forces-in-the-world/ Of course I am on board with Black Lives Matter, but lets be real here--when you compare police abuse and corruption in the US to many other countries in the world, it's not that bad really. Just don't provoke the police and most of the time you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying black people in the United States are living life on easy street, but it's like they don't want to think about how much worse off they'd be if they were born in Southeast Asia, or in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can have a difficult life without having the most difficult life, so you should quit complaining and suck it up at least long enough to realize there are people worse off than you.

Black Americans like to say, "well my 'privilege' hasn't got me poo poo!" while ignoring how much how much shittier their lovely lives would be if they lived in many less prosperous countries in the world.

Everyone has their own privilege then need to check.

I'm a Male, I have a structural advantage and access to things that females don't have easy access to. I grew up with both of my parents in a "middle class" whatever the gently caress that means nowadays. I had advantages and access to resources and information that poorer and less well off students didn't have. My parents were able to afford a computer, which meant I was able to mess around with and learn about what would be my career as an adult.

So yeah, I'm better off than those in "third world" countries, and that is partially thanks to the fact I was born here in my situation. Which I am extremely grateful for.

Your statement makes has the assumption that It's impossible to focus or think about multiple things. I think about Economic inequality of poor americans of all races. My assertion that Blacks have it lovely in this country isn't an implication that only Black people have it lovely. It's just that in terms of equality, and fair treatment in the law and economically for minorities and white people in the same social and financial groups, the minorities are worse off.

Look at JPMorgan which just got hit with a lawsuit about racial discrimination in handing out higher rates for black people than white people with the same credit profile.

What your post essentially says is that If someone has it worse off than you it's wrong to ask for your own situation to be made fair and equal.. Which is pretty silly as it's never wrong to ask for fairness and equality.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Where people apply the care and effort they are able to muster is their prerogative and no one else's. What people do to help in whatever situation should not be put down with idiocies about how others have it worse.

Yes, there is injustice everywhere, but it needs fixing everywhere, and you don't have to start at the bottom, you can start where you are standing. Some people look around them and say to themselves, "I want to help where things are truly awful", and when they do, that is to be commended. Others look around say, "things need fixing around here", and again, the work they do there is to be commended.

People who look at those people and say, "why don't you care about what I care about?", or "Other people need it more than the people you are helping." Those people, they aren't helping. They are trying to position themselves as superior to those who actually give their own time and effort, while simultaneously excusing themselves from having to do anything themselves.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 18, 2017

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Koalas March posted:

I am going to respond to him earnestly in a bit because he genuinely doesn't get it and I want to help him learn.

I think the mod challenge shows that I was right. A few responses in this thread, before you prematurely unveiled what was behind the curtain, showed that many people, not just poor rural white men, interpret 'check your privilege' as a way to belittle people's own personal problems. I am assuming the posters here are are not all actually poor rural white men.

It's not even a masterful post, given the constraints I was given, and I still got the responses I predicted. I even recycled much of PT6A's post in the other thread to use here.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

A lot of countries in Africa are doing pretty okay, there exist black people there who lead middle class lives and aren't terrorized and murdered by a racist police system

This is true, and a lot of people have no idea how huge Africa is and how many amazing cities are located there. For example here are some awesome countries I'd love to go to:

Senegal

Ethiopa

Kenya

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone thinking dirt-floor poverty doesn't exist here in the US is ignorant to the point of blindness. I refer you to the Viola Davis interview I posted earlier, where she describes being born in a sharecropper's shack in the sixties.

But of course silence_kit doesn't know what a sharecropper's shack even is, because anytime he gets nervous he might learn something he starts screaming about what the SJWs in his head tell him.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I think the mod challenge shows that I was right. A few responses in this thread, before you prematurely unveiled what was behind the curtain, showed that many people, not just poor rural white men, interpret 'check your privilege' as a way to belittle people's own personal problems. I am assuming the posters here are are not all actually poor rural white men.

It's not even a masterful post, given the constraints I was given, and I still got the responses I predicted. I even recycled much of PT6A's post in the other thread to use here.

Not surprised you didn't learn anything from this.

edit: I didn't give you the challenge because I didn't think anyone would tell you to gently caress off. I gave it to you so that you could see the responses, reflect on them and realize how dumb the poo poo you post is.

also what restraints were you given?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

silence_kit posted:

holy poo poo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

silence_kit posted:

I think the fact the your instinctual reaction to people going ":dogbutton:" to you rolling in and telling them they should just be happy to live in this country and to "suck it up" says way more about you than them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

"See, you said if I posted ignorantly people would tell me I'm ignorant, and I did and they DID!" :smugbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

silence_kit posted:

I didn't even see Koala's post.

Also the difference is I and most of the people I talk to don't have influence in SE Asia, or Africa. We do have influence in america though. We vote for our representatives. And when poor rural, or any voters for that matter vote for politicians who are perpetuating things that actively damage equality and fairness in the society that I currently live in I'm going to be more vocal about it. Like I'm donating and calling representatives about saving the ACA when that thing has literally no effect on me other than like a 20 dollar a month premium increase.

I'm not going to actively campaign against initiatives in foreign countries that seek a better economic, legal, or whatever equality and fairness for it's citizens. But that is so far outside of my current sphere of influence, that it doesn't come up regularly.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

silence_kit posted:

I think that everybody in this thread could benefit from a little perspective and take a moment to reflect upon themselves and realize just how much privilege everyone here really has.

http://www.worldhunger.org/asia-hunger-facts/ 512 million people (this is over 10x the black population in the US!) go hungry in Asia. Kind of makes the issue of food deserts in urban areas look insignificant, doesn't it? At least poor African Americans have enough food to eat, since obesity is a prevalent problem in the African American community.

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-most-corrupt-police-forces-in-the-world/ Of course I am on board with Black Lives Matter, but lets be real here--when you compare police abuse and corruption in the US to many other countries in the world, it's not that bad really. Just don't provoke the police and most of the time you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying black people in the United States are living life on easy street, but it's like they don't want to think about how much worse off they'd be if they were born in Southeast Asia, or in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can have a difficult life without having the most difficult life, so you should quit complaining and suck it up at least long enough to realize there are people worse off than you.

Black Americans like to say, "well my 'privilege' hasn't got me poo poo!" while ignoring how much how much shittier their lovely lives would be if they lived in many less prosperous countries in the world.

Regardless of all the terrible things implied in this post. That person B has it worse. Is never an excuse to not try to make an improvement for person A. It is at worse a tactic to try and avoid helping anyone.

See the homeless veterans who are brought out for every single election as an excuse to not help refuges or immigrants. Well we didn't help the refuges and we didn't help the immigrants. But then we didn't help the homeless veterans either. Which is how they can be brought back for the next election.

So if you feel strongly about the starving people of Africa then engage yourself in helping them. Do not use them as a club to try and prevent people from helping those who have it bad in America.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Making America less lovely would make it less of a ravenous imperialistic beast loving up everybody else's country too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

"See, you said if I posted ignorantly people would tell me I'm ignorant, and I did and they DID!" :smugbert:

What I was hoping for:
He'd genuinely ask a question about black poverty in other countries since that's a subject we've tackled before, maybe learn something from the responses he's given

What I expected:
He'd shitpost and run after some people called him an idiot and a few answered, still missing the point completely

What I got
A an expertly crafted shitpost precisely engineered to dogwhistle and be as condescending as possible and whiney sass post claiming the thinnest of victories despite missing the point completely

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's almost as if white people don't know what privilege is and often use the term incorrectly

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 18, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

What I was hoping for:
He'd genuinely ask a question about black poverty in other countries since that's a subject we've tackled before, maybe learn something from the responses he's given

What I expected:
He'd shitpost and run after some people called him an idiot and a few answered, still missing the point completely

What I got
A an expertly crafted shitpost precisely engineered to dogwhistle and be as condescending as possible and whiney sass post claiming the thinnest of victories despite missing the point completely

Hi um excuse me you probated me recently, this is mod abuse, fight the power, fist emoji.

flashman posted:

It's almost as if using check your privilege as a form to silence complaints of those who are not at the bottom of the social pecking order is something that belittles the complainant and offers no benefit to the discussion.

Yeah this all started because silence_kit, like you, looooooves to put words in the mouths of "sjws." Nobody says loving "check your privilege" to people here. The most I have seen is someone talking about checking their OWN privilege. This steaming pile of racism and condescension from SK is literally the first post of his I've seen in months that wasn't some variation on "yeah well if the people who believe in human decency and treating people with respect were here they'd tell you you're a MONSTER and EAT YOUR SOUL"

He's a whiny-rear end bitch and you've decided to be his sidekick. We can call you whiny-rear end bitch 2.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 18, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

silence_kit posted:

Where did you prove anywhere that people in this thread or in the USA's civil right's movement take what they have for granted?

Not being content is not the same thing as not being thankful.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TB I will probate you again for mod sass

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This is better than the time someone posted in the USPOL thread about how rural whites only act like slack jawed imbeciles as an injoke against elitist city folk who are the "real" racist idiots.

Also, Neat.
https://twitter.com/NerdyWonka/status/821771538215084036

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

TB I will probate you again for mod sass

fite me I did my nickel ain't take me alive copper

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You know African-American institutions like the Black Episcopal Church provide charity and financial support to poor people across the globe. African-Americans generally donate more time and money to charitable causes than other people. So ignoring the 'other people have it worse' that post doesn't even recognize the ongoing financial support African-Americans provide to people in the US and elsewhere.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wow, this popped up on Facebook and I was thinking it should go in the OP cuz how many times does this happen in this thread goddamn.

I’m Not Your Racial Confessor
The black person’s burden of managing white emotions in the age of Trump.

McMillan Cottom posted:

I only owe people as much good faith as they extend to me. Part of that good faith is Googling before you waste my time because you value me and my time.

My momma always said that until people asked the right question, they weren’t ready for the right answer. If you ask me a broad, unspecific, basic-rear end question, then you aren’t ready for a serious answer from a serious person.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oracle posted:

Wow, this popped up on Facebook and I was thinking it should go in the OP cuz how many times does this happen in this thread goddamn.

I’m Not Your Racial Confessor
The black person’s burden of managing white emotions in the age of Trump.

This is really good and I am going to add it.

edit: added and changed the OP a little.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 18, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The African Union has been around for a number of years and there's been a Pan-African movement for a long time, but it faces a lot of hurdles and constraints. There's also been incredible progress in general terms of SoL across Africa as well as cooperation fighting groups like Boko Haram, but there's still a lot of war, disease and political corruption.

Yup. There's also similar issues to what the EU has faced:

-relatively rich, powerful countries like South Africa calling all the shots, but also having to pay more than their fair share of upkeep for the whole edifice. As with Germany in the EU, it's an arrangement that pleases no one, but it's pretty much the only way for the drat thing to work
-an uneven normative framework for democratic governance

Unlike the EU, though, there are a lot more failed states in Africa than in Europe, and some of those failed states are huuuuuuge.

Plus, quelle surprise, the AU doesn't have nearly as much diplomatic heft as it deserves in the UN, WTO, or other international bodies.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dejawesp posted:

So if you feel strongly about the starving people of Africa then engage yourself in helping them. Do not use them as a club to try and prevent people from helping those who have it bad in America.

I've said this a number of times, and so has everyone here, but if you aren't engaged in an issue and want to talk about another one... do so? Like, this is the thread for discussion of black people. The points about African maybe belong in this thread, maybe need a new one depending on the content. The points about Asia belong in a new thread, and no one here is preventing that discussion, it just doesn't really belong here.

Almost every poster here I recognize from other threads, and I could swear that either TB or KM (sorry I forget which and haven't read it in a while) was a fairly prolific poster in the Rural Poverty thread at some point, right?

People have multiple opinions, and posting that being concerned about (mostly American) Black issues is somehow immoral for Black Americans to do is real hosed up lmfao

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Death Bot posted:

People have multiple opinions, and posting that being concerned about (mostly American) Black issues is somehow immoral for Black Americans to do is real hosed up lmfao

silence_kit is only doing it to act out a grudge they have about biased moderation ("biased" meaning silence_kit said something stupid and was punished) and they are absolutely not interested in the conversation at hand, it's all meta forums politics and/or an excuse to get mad about internet

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

This is really good and I am going to add it.

edit: added and changed the OP a little.

This old paper about what White Privilege is might also be a good supplemental piece.

http://nationalseedproject.org/white-privilege-unpacking-the-invisible-knapsack

EDIT: Changed to a URL that linked to a longer version of the paper instead of the shortened version I found the first time.

EDIT #2: Found what looks like the current/most complete version of the paper short of requesting the full copy from the original author.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 18, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

boner confessor posted:

silence_kit is only doing it to act out a grudge they have about biased moderation ("biased" meaning silence_kit said something stupid and was punished) and they are absolutely not interested in the conversation at hand, it's all meta forums politics and/or an excuse to get mad about internet

I mean I know this. The kind of people who post "why aren't people talking about x" don't actually go talk about x, they're just trying to detract from an active conversation. If this was a directed conversation or lecture of some sort that is a valid criticism to bring up, maybe, but we're on a public forum. Just go post a thread.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

silence_kit posted:

My family thinks my uncle was murdered by correctional officers in prison dude. Saying that a thing isn't that bad doesn't mean that it is good, especially if it's not as good as you think.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Death Bot posted:

I've said this a number of times, and so has everyone here, but if you aren't engaged in an issue and want to talk about another one... do so? Like, this is the thread for discussion of black people. The points about African maybe belong in this thread, maybe need a new one depending on the content. The points about Asia belong in a new thread, and no one here is preventing that discussion, it just doesn't really belong here.

Almost every poster here I recognize from other threads, and I could swear that either TB or KM (sorry I forget which and haven't read it in a while) was a fairly prolific poster in the Rural Poverty thread at some point, right?

Yeah that was me, that thread has been fascinating at times. It goes to poo poo when someone barges in handwringing about "how do we get Those People to stop voting against their interests?" which sounds reealll familiar. It's much more interesting when actual rural residents talk about their homes and families and what motivates the people they know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Buschmaki posted:

My family thinks my uncle was murdered by correctional officers in prison dude. Saying that a thing isn't that bad doesn't mean that it is good, especially if it's not as good as you think.

There's that, and there's also the fact that I don't hear a bunch (or, indeed, any) black people in the US saying "gently caress starving people and refugees, pay attention to meeeeee and fix all of my problems first," like we currently do with all the people bemoaning the state of poor white men in the States. And, as was mentioned, those white people who are currently complaining about their lot have a gently caress sight more political influence on the government of the United States than any American does on what goes on in developing countries. And, as was also pointed out, even people in developing countries with a worse standard of living than the average black American enjoy certain benefits that black Americans do not -- such as not being disproportionately targeted by the police because of one's race.

It's really an entirely different situation in almost every way.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dejawesp posted:

See the homeless veterans who are brought out for every single election as an excuse to not help refuges or immigrants. Well we didn't help the refuges and we didn't help the immigrants. But then we didn't help the homeless veterans either. Which is how they can be brought back for the next election.

loving chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist, I love this post.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Colonel Ghaddafi suggested it and then America had him killed and decided it was better to bomb African countries than have an African Union with an integrated system like the EU.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

JFairfax posted:

Colonel Ghaddafi suggested it and then America had him killed and decided it was better to bomb African countries than have an African Union with an integrated system like the EU.

Plucky little Qaddafi

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the more proximate cause was turning anti aircraft guns on protesters.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey! How about we talk about black people in the black people thread instead of descending into what I'm sure would be a fresh and wholly informative debate on American military strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hey! How about we talk about black people in the black people thread instead of descending into what I'm sure would be a fresh and wholly informative debate on American military strategy?

I am sure what the American military strat is also somehow our fault too

• Locked thread