Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Frijolero posted:

THERE WAS NO "HACK"

It was a phishing email. And no, we can't assume. A phishing email could've been sent by anybody for any number of reasons.

A distinction without a difference. It doesn't matter if they exploited some code or human stupidity, they got access to information that they weren't supposed to have. And how can you possibly not interpret it as an attempt to hurt the Democrats politically? It was, in fact, exactly how it was used.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
And if something bad does happen under your organization, you clearly make an example of it and make affirmative changes to show that it will not happen instead of a lukewarm response because it is more pragmatically convenient and helps your chances of winning/is the path of least resistance.

Failing to do so can lead to a toxic, corrupt culture developing within that organization.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is, if it was an attack on the Democratic Party then the solipsistic model of politics where everything is about the need to send Obama and Hillary down the memory hole to be incinerated is faulty, and that would force people to stop focusing on assigning blame.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

And if something bad does happen under your organization, you clearly make an example of it and make affirmative changes to show that it will not happen instead of a lukewarm response because it is more pragmatically convenient and helps your chances of winning/is the path of least resistance.

Okay, so if someone offers a bad idea you publicly fire them and blacklist them. Or if someone writes an email that can be photoshopped easily or taken out of context, bam! Fired.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rodatose posted:

the key to not getting right wing sources to depress left turnout by saying things like "hillary's campaign helped start birtherism" is for democrats to not engage in that sort of thing in the first place

no one can control what every single organization in the media says, and whether right wingers co-opt left criticisms. You do have control over anything that could be taken the wrong way in the future. It's necessary in order to prevent the ground out from being cut out beneath you in criticizing far right wing candidates who do much worse to an audience who often falls for "both sides" and "truth is in the middle".

Ok done. I have used a magical time machine to make sure that Hillary's Campaign had nothing to do with Birtherism. Whoops it looks like nothing changed and you're still here parroting that lie.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Frijolero posted:

THERE WAS NO "HACK"

It was a phishing email. And no, we can't assume. A phishing email could've been sent by anybody for any number of reasons.

It was actually a coordinated series of phishing emails sent to various DNC staffers, combined with hacking attempts of the NSA and a general series of incompetent blunders of both the DNC and FBI, which knew of the hacks in 2015 and unsuccessfully attempted to warn the DNC.

The ineffective cybersecurity of modern American institutions in general is deeply worrying and a more competent organization might've been more resistant, but state actors in general have the resources and manpower to push through any non-intelligence agency grade defenses as it is.

Edit: The initial attack the FBI identified was also a direct hack, not from a phishing email, and is believed to originate with the same group that tried to hack various other governmental systems around the same time.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 27, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

The Ender posted:

...So, losing traditionally safe Democratic states like Michigan & Pennsylvania, that isn't a total rear end kicking, somehow?

It doesn't make any sense to call 2012 a shameful near-loss and then call 2016 an unambiguous rear end kicking.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Another example is the suppression of the haitian minimum wage increase in haiti under the clinton state department. If this is just an isolated incident by bad apples, the state department under hillary should have sent a message by committing to fixing the mistake or pressing for some conciliatory worker-beneficial policy in haiti that could be used to say "we do care." Instead, when that doesn't happen, and the response is "the needs of business are too complicated for people like you to understand," then I think that has a downstream effect domestically when people don't take talk about that candidate supporting fight for fifteen as sincere.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, so if someone offers a bad idea you publicly fire them and blacklist them. Or if someone writes an email that can be photoshopped easily or taken out of context, bam! Fired.

are you asserting the leaked emails were fabricated?

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not peculiar to progressive policy but it's a unique issue for progressives because of the specific nature of how it manifests and the reasons why people don't get on board for certain progressive policy.

Like 60% of our problems are convincing people that taxes are not the devil and that the government can help people in an efficient manner if managed well, i.e. not by Republicans.

The more I've worked with local campaigns (in provincial & federal Canadian politics), the more I've noticed this really terrible problem: the more vulnerable & beaten-down a household is, and thus in need of social programs to stay afloat, the more likely they are to just not give a poo poo about policy and side with whatever political body seems most hateful & nasty because they are embittered by their circumstances (and fair enough). Our riding candidate was just last week at the door with an unemployed fellow doing odd jobs to make ends meet, with no reported / taxed income... and he was completely opposed to increased taxes to create more comprehensive welfare & spur small business start-ups.

Our worst canvasses are in really low income communities, even though such communities would be the ones to most benefit from a social safety net. :|

The 1 percenters know exactly what they want and vote for it, while the really downtrodden are so angry that essentially vote to continue transferring what little they have to the 1 percenters.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

It doesn't make any sense to call 2012 a shameful near-loss and then call 2016 an unambiguous rear end kicking.

Considering the disastrous consequences of Republican rule I'd say that's a fair assessment

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

7c Nickel posted:

Ok done. I have used a magical time machine to make sure that Hillary's Campaign had nothing to do with Birtherism. Whoops it looks like nothing changed and you're still here parroting that lie.
that "lie" of a clinton campaign staffer shopping a photo of obama in kenyan garb to drudge has been around since 2008, before any right wingers decided it could give them shelter for their obvious xenophobia

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think it would be a good idea for the democratic nominee to not go on stage and proclaim Henry loving Kissinger her idol.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

No, I am saying that the absolutist approach being demanded is bad in a variety of ways, such as being vulnerable to fabrication. Part of this is because it is being designed to satisfy conspiracy theorists, who cannot actually be satisfied.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheRat posted:

I think it would be a good idea for the democratic nominee to not go on stage and proclaim Henry loving Kissinger her idol.

Why? The average person doesn't care, so it's orthogonal to populism.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

Because if you want idealistic young people to vote for you, you probably don't want to idolise a genocidal war criminal thundercunt.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

The average Democratic voter does, though

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

icantfindaname posted:

I wish people wouldn't quote effectronica so I don't have to see their replies like that one

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm gonna take the side of "gently caress Henry Kissinger, it was a massive mistake to associate with him in any way." That's such a low hanging gimme fruit, to be like "nah, let's avoid bringing up this poo poo rear end in a top hat from decades ago in any way."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

Why [not praise Kissinger]? The average person doesn't care, so it's orthogonal to populism.

The average person doesn't care, so why needlessly associate yourself with a war criminal??

Rodatose posted:

I wish people wouldn't quote effectronica so I don't have to see their replies like that one

here's a good one for ya.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Considering the disastrous consequences of Republican rule I'd say that's a fair assessment

No, it's confusing the margin of victory with the consequences. If all that matters is republicans lose then 2012 was a glorious victory because it doesn't matter how close some of the swing states were.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheRat posted:

Because if you want idealistic young people to vote for you, you probably don't want to idolise a genocidal war criminal thundercunt.

I think if welcoming Kissinger gets people who use c*** as an insult to not vote, that's good because they're misogynists or British, neither of whom should be voting. Now, if you're willing to admit that populism isn't all that and a bag of chips, that's an important step forward negated by your use of misogynistic insults on a constant basis.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

I think if welcoming Kissinger gets people who use c*** as an insult to not vote, that's good because they're misogynists or British, neither of whom should be voting. Now, if you're willing to admit that populism isn't all that and a bag of chips, that's an important step forward negated by your use of misogynistic insults on a constant basis.

yeah, if we learned anything, it's that the democratic party can afford to tell people "we don't want your vote."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Organizational accountability? what do you mean hold the department accountable for shooting an african american child holding a toy? you're discounting all the good work they do. where do we stop from there if we fire a police officer? soon you'll be suggesting that we put all cop's in work camps...

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

The average person doesn't care, so why needlessly associate yourself with a war criminal??

here's a good one for ya.

Well, it pissing off people who wear white hoods when they go out at night might be worth the moral stain of doing so.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

You think saying 'oval office' is more offensive than praising Henry Kissinger.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

No, it's confusing the margin of victory with the consequences. If all that matters is republicans lose then 2012 was a glorious victory because it doesn't matter how close some of the swing states were.

Except all that matters is not just that Republicans lose the presidency, but also state governments and congressional seats, and the failure of the Democratic Party to recognize that their post-2008 strategy was not producing gains in Congress or state governments was quite bad.

You might disagree on what strategy is needed to produce more Democratic governance in more places but I don't think it's up for debate that at present the Democratic Party is massively weaker than it's been in a very long time and that something must be done about that before we're eaten alive by fascist Republicans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

The average Democratic voter does, though

No loving way, if voters were that attuned to policy then Hillary would have won in a landslide and Democrats wouldn't have a messaging problem

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

JeffersonClay posted:

I was referring to the stretch of political disasters under Obama, not simply the election he did win. You got bodied. I don't really care who you run; the right wing in America has gone to crazytown, so you need to actually be able to beat them, and your current strat isn't working. You're basically just that kid feeding mid lane, unable to adapt to the fact the one trick that scored you first blood a long time ago ain't working anymore.

You can learn from that or just get snarky in /all chat and blame poor game design & bad bans.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

yeah, if we learned anything, it's that the democratic party can afford to tell people "we don't want your vote."

So the Democratic Party should abandon women and focus on misogynist men, in the belief that they can convincingly hate women more than Republicans do. Turns out you don't need aliens for the events of The Screwfly Solution to happen, just letting Bernie voters decide policy.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

TheRat posted:

But enough about Winston Churchill.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Ender posted:

I was referring to the stretch of political disasters under Obama, not simply the election he did win. You got bodied. I don't really care who you run; the right wing in America has gone to crazytown, so you need to actually be able to beat them, and your current strat isn't working. You're basically just that kid feeding mid lane, unable to adapt to the fact the one trick that scored you first blood a long time ago ain't working anymore.

You can learn from that or just get snarky in /all chat and blame poor game design & bad bans.

:laffo: I appreciate this post. :yayclod:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes. More than enough.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

So the Democratic Party should abandon women and focus on misogynist men, in the belief that they can convincingly hate women more than Republicans do. Turns out you don't need aliens for the events of The Screwfly Solution to happen, just letting Bernie voters decide policy.

yes it's clearly either/or.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So centrists really like Henry Kissinger? I guess that makes sense.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

You think saying 'oval office' is more offensive than praising Henry Kissinger.

It is. It's possible to admire Kissinger in the way you'd admire Richelieu or Talleyrand or Pope Alexander, but it's not possible to use c*** without being a misogynist or a Brit or a loving idiot.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

yes it's clearly either/or.

It is. You either are anti-women or you are not. There is no way to be both simultaneously so you can attract and welcome he-man woman-haters without becoming unashamedly evil.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

It is. It's possible to admire Kissinger in the way you'd admire Richelieu or Talleyrand or Pope Alexander, but it's not possible to use c*** without being a misogynist or a Brit or a loving idiot.

Can't say I'm surprised, but I will say I'm disappointed.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

hrm. if someone held a gun to a woman's head and said if you didn't say the word 'oval office' he'd pull the trigger, would it be possible to say it without being a misogynist?

JeffersonClay posted:

I agree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

It is. You either are anti-women or you are not. There is no way to be both simultaneously so you can attract and welcome he-man woman-haters without becoming unashamedly evil.

You are either for imperialism or you aren't B5. oval office is just a word. Kissinger is a man complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

• Locked thread