Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kazak posted:

Can't believe those dastard Danes charged Kim's parents for the cost of the delays and the judges intestinal discomfort

You mean the opposite? Madsen now has to pay more weregild to Wall's boyfriend and also over double that to her parents, which he previously didn't need to.

Complete self-own, he accomplished nothing but making his situation worse. To be fair, that was a difficult accomplishment, but he sure did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:fuckoff: poo poo-madsen

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still kind of amazed he managed to gently caress up murdering someone so badly when he had a submarine. What an rear end in a top hat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Step 1 to getting away with murder: don't kill a journalist who is writing an article about your submarine that she has told people she is riding on said submarine

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jose posted:

Step 1 to getting away with murder: don't kill a journalist who is writing an article about your submarine that she has told people she is riding on said submarine

Obviously only an idiot would do that. As everyone knows, I am very smart. Therefore I didn't do that, and someone else must have murdered her. QED.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nice piece of fish posted:

Meanwhile Madsen yesterday ever so graciously accepted paying some more weregild to Walls parents (who weren't awarded any during the lower court trial). Who the gently caress cares. Probably trying to buy sympathy, but I sincerely doubt the judges were impressed.

Walls boyfriend, who has a really lame name, has asked for a million borkbux as compensation for loss of provider. This isn't weregild, but an actual ask for financial compensation for the loss of Walls financial supporting of him. Kind of not really very well founded, but then again I can totally understand wanting to try to stick it to Madsen any way he can. Not that he'll be able to pay anyway.

Doesn’t the Danish state cover these expenses like the Norwegian state does in cases involving violent deadbeats (most of them are)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moridin920 posted:

I'm still kind of amazed he managed to gently caress up murdering someone so badly when he had a submarine. What an rear end in a top hat.

they don't call them locked room mysteries because you lock yourself in with your murder victim

a submarine, diving bell, biodome, space capsule, hyperbaric chamber, or other sealed 2 person enclosure are all actually terrible places to do a murder! they will not help you get away with it!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked Copenhagen Suborbitals better when they were making lovely oversized toy model rockets rather than that but also founded by a piece of poo poo torture-murderer

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Der Kyhe posted:

While we do lack a system for punitive damages on civil court (you were found not guilty of any crime, why should any other side-court be allowed to judge differently?), but we do have income-scaled system for fine-based sentencing. The calculation is roughly your taxable income before taxes, divided by 365 and multiplied by the amount of "day fines".

So while most reckless endangerment cases (and accidental manslaughter cases) cause fines in the ballpark of 4-8k eur., one rear end-hat multimillionaire playing with a Lamborghini in a rush-hour traffic got handed a 100k+ fine on excessive speeding and traffic endangerment. This, however, always goes to the government and the restitution for the victim is not based on this system.

Edit: the guy was one of the "IT boom" superstars in the turn of the millenium, and obviously complained endlessly and tried even to start a movement to get a cap on these types of fees. The political system of that time, and the public opinion, gently and politely told the guy to "gently caress off".

The reason its easier to obtain two completely different ruling here on the same case is criminal cases the bar is reasonable doubt, for civil cases though it is just a preponderance of evidence. It seems like yall would consider that a form of double jeopardy?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

BattleMaster posted:

I liked Copenhagen Suborbitals better when they were making lovely oversized toy model rockets rather than that but also founded by a piece of poo poo torture-murderer

I feel sure you have the stem of a beginning of an outline of a thought somewhere in there.

Copenhagen Suborbitals have had literally nothing to do with murder Madsen since the breakup 4+ years back.

quote:

lovely oversized toy model

There's a 1:75 Nautilus STL set that you can 3D print and then toss in a wood chipper or explode on a bottle rocket if it makes you feel better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I feel sure you have the stem of a beginning of an outline of a thought somewhere in there.

Copenhagen Suborbitals have had literally nothing to do with murder Madsen since the breakup 4+ years back.

I'm not sure you can cease to have founded something

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

also they made lovely rockets when he was still with them and they still make lovely rockets

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

BattleMaster posted:

also they made lovely rockets when he was still with them and they still make lovely rockets

:bahgawd: fun havers!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I'm not sure you can cease to have founded something

retroactive founding is totally a thing, that's why musk is the founder of tesla

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Tunicate posted:

retroactive founding is totally a thing, that's why musk is the founder of tesla

Hell, maybe Musk IS Tesla, think about that.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Doesn’t the Danish state cover these expenses like the Norwegian state does in cases involving violent deadbeats (most of them are)

The punitive damages from murder and such (overgangsbeløb etc.)? I believe so.

A civil claim for future loss of income? I don't think they do. But then the boyfriend wasn't awarded that as far as I know.

DogonCrook posted:

The reason its easier to obtain two completely different ruling here on the same case is criminal cases the bar is reasonable doubt, for civil cases though it is just a preponderance of evidence. It seems like yall would consider that a form of double jeopardy?

Double jeopardy only applies in criminal cases, not civil suits. The violation would be presumption of innocence, in that the court would have to conclude on the matter of criminal guilt to establish civil liability. Some say that's not the case, some say it is, some skirt around the issue entirely. It's complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

Yes, our system would consider it double jeopardy, since you were already once ruled not guilty.

• Locked thread