Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Mod support was completely out of nowhere for me and I'm enjoying it a lot! GOTY2018 gets better!

That said, I feel like I'm going to turn off replay the spire when playing with the new classes. A lot of stuff from replay the spire is just loving ridiculous and I can't really get a feel of the characters in a context I'm familiar with.

Still, pretty happy that I can now look forward to lots of extra content. Hopefully this doesn't affect the possibility of MegaCrit releasing new content themselves, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If MegaCrit doesn't release DLC they are burning money. This is a game I likely buy at least twice (when switch comes out) and probably 3 times (if they release on android). And I would buy DLC in a heartbeat multiple times.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What's the best strat for Silent ascension runs? If gotten to the end a few times but never finished even an ascension 1. I've tried poison runs and 0 cost runs, but neither feels good.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

What's the best strat for Silent ascension runs? If gotten to the end a few times but never finished even an ascension 1. I've tried poison runs and 0 cost runs, but neither feels good.

it depends on what the game gives you honestly. don't rely to heavily on theme decks

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The core of my most successful high-ascension Silent runs tends to be tons of block and block-enhancement.

Footwork(+) is amazing, especially combined with abilities that carry block over to the next turn (Blur and Dodge & Roll). Get more block than you think you need. This makes the Goblin Nob and Lagavulin particularly dangerous, but if you can get through Act 1, the later elites are easier.

Beyond that, just build up poison or direct attack, depending on what becomes available. Early Catalyst and/or multiple Noxious Fumes are a good sign you should go poison, but just about anything can work. I personally haven't had much luck with shiv decks on super high ascension unless I'd already collected enough great artifacts to make any deck viable. And there's a 1-in-3 chance of running into Time Eater.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The core of ascension runs is recognizing cards which are always good.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Take all the marginally okay attack you can before you hit your first elite. You don't need perfect or great, just enough.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Im in the middle of a solid Silent ascension run ATM where I drew a prismatic shard early and now I'm just basically building a red deck.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
id like to present the stupidest MVP decision ive ever made

i got coffee dripper from the first boss and when i entered the shop, there was a toy ornithopter for 204 gold - the exact amount of gold that i had. "is it fate?" i asked. my completely insane decision to get myself some healing was fully vindicated when i A: drew a runic dodecahedron and apparition from two consecutive ?s. if i hadnt bought that precious little plane i would have been done for

and now i will never buy that lovely trash relic again

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

MiddleOne posted:

The core of ascension runs is recognizing cards which are always good.

Chin Strap posted:

Take all the marginally okay attack you can before you hit your first elite. You don't need perfect or great, just enough.

yeah honestly the strategy that's served me well climbing asc. on defect and ironclad at least is just taking the best attack available in the first 3-4 fights (short of getting something i cant pass up, like biased cog). a lot of times ill pass up Pretty Good cards to grab like rip and tear

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Just lost Silent A19 15 times in a row. On my best run things we're really coming together, I melted my way through Act 2 all the way to the boss, then drew 3 strikes and 2 defends on the hyperbeam turn and got incinerated. Alas..

Game is just hard

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

yeah honestly the strategy that's served me well climbing asc. on defect and ironclad at least is just taking the best attack available in the first 3-4 fights (short of getting something i cant pass up, like biased cog). a lot of times ill pass up Pretty Good cards to grab like rip and tear

Ascension just skews the balance of the acts so hard that I get whiplash whenever I do dailies, and I've yet to get past even Asc 12. If I'd summarize:

Act 1: You have to play extremely pro-risk as this act is your only chance to easily snag artifacts and upgrades, I will literally rather die against the act 1 boss than to play risk-averse and conserve health, the reason for that being...

Act 2: The place where Ascension just pulls out all the stops. This is where taking risks pays off, because otherwise you're just dead if you didn't get an energy artifact/aoe/strong cards. Here the script also flips because of the bosses two of them basically require high health or an insane deck to get past, so it's back to being risk-averse.

Act 3: Yeah lol better hope you got some synergy by now because you can forget beating the boss otherwise.

Literally all of my late ascension wins with Defect are gimmicky poo poo like 0-cost spam backed up by a few solid staple cards. Everything else just seems to fall apart in act 3.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Ascension just skews the balance of the acts so hard that I get whiplash whenever I do dailies, and I've yet to get past even Asc 12. If I'd summarize:

Act 1: You have to play extremely pro-risk as this act is your only chance to easily snag artifacts and upgrades, I will literally rather die against the act 1 boss than to play risk-averse and conserve health, the reason for that being...

Act 2: The place where Ascension just pulls out all the stops. This is where taking risks pays off, because otherwise you're just dead if you didn't get an energy artifact/aoe/strong cards. Here the script also flips because of the bosses two of them basically require high health or an insane deck to get past, so it's back to being risk-averse.

Act 3: Yeah lol better hope you got some synergy by now because you can forget beating the boss otherwise.

Literally all of my late ascension wins with Defect are gimmicky poo poo like 0-cost spam backed up by a few solid staple cards. Everything else just seems to fall apart in act 3.

0-cost synergy starts to fall apart the higher you go. enemies get more hp and the curse can ruin you when you're putting so many low-impact cards in your deck. frost orbs and +focus is the strategy that scale the best into high ascension

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

something im learning to appreciate in high ascensions is static discharge, a skill i would never considered before

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

0 cost defect can work but it's almost 100% reliant on getting all for one to even have a chance of working, and also a ton of upgraded cool headed's for draw/defense.

Static discharge is not a good card generally.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it does a very, very good job of helping me play high-risk in a1 and then after that its done its job

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you have Torii it's like a free win against the Heart.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

RyokoTK posted:

If you have Torii it's like a free win against the Heart.

can confirm

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

FINALLY beat Silent A19 after countless tries. It was all about alchemize + potion belt smoothing out individual fights to save 8hp here, 6hp there. Really glad I didn't take Sozu, which is normally a windmill slam for me. Plus 3x Wraith Form+ was really helpful (esp against transient lol), although I ended up not playing any of those against Donu Deca. Onward..

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Which class is best for the single-relic achievement?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Probably Ironclad both because his starting relic can really help deal with some bad draws and because he relies the least on relic interactions to put something together. Trying to trade in your starting relic for an energy relic should work fine on A0 for any class, but you're only going to get one every few tries and need to reach the Act 1 boss before you get another roll, so I don't think it's worth the grind. If you get something like tiny house or calling bell you're worse off than when you started.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chin Strap posted:

If MegaCrit doesn't release DLC they are burning money. This is a game I likely buy at least twice (when switch comes out) and probably 3 times (if they release on android). And I would buy DLC in a heartbeat multiple times.

if they release on android and ios that's two more buys for me

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Which class is best for the single-relic achievement?

My friend just rerolled till he got snecko lol

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally did ironclad A20! I think all my A16-20 wins were off the back of snecko eye. got an early dead branch and drafted feel no pain and upgraded it thinking i'd go hard looking for corruption but never found it. Didn't need it anyway, i'd hosed up a dead branch corruption run a couple of tries ago when I got parasite + chosen fight 3 times in act 2 and filled my deck with dazes and took way too much damage repeatedly leaving me without enough hp to survive the collector. I rolled replacement relic this time for the hell of it and got mark of pain.. actually worked out pretty fine in the end as I grabbed an evolve somewhere in act 1 and a power through then picked up snecko and later broken crown, still had to rest more than average at first so I didn't end up with a ton of upgrades but limit break was the crucial one anyway, I'd sit behind demon form and block waiting for strength to roll in then drop big reapers for sustain. Probably could have taken the heart if I'd bothered getting the keys but wasn't taking any undue risks

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

A Bag of Milk posted:

Probably Ironclad both because his starting relic can really help deal with some bad draws and because he relies the least on relic interactions to put something together. Trying to trade in your starting relic for an energy relic should work fine on A0 for any class, but you're only going to get one every few tries and need to reach the Act 1 boss before you get another roll, so I don't think it's worth the grind. If you get something like tiny house or calling bell you're worse off than when you started.

Ironclad also has the advantage that he can actually upgrade his starting relic, increasing its value by 40%. That's not insignificant when the relic is already among the strongest in the game on its own.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The Mash posted:

Ironclad also has the advantage that he can actually upgrade his starting relic, increasing its value by 40%. That's not insignificant when the relic is already among the strongest in the game on its own.

Just did it with this advantage:

The Demon Form ended up mostly useless. Dark Embrace + Corruption is a very strong combo and I just made sure to get as many defense skills as possible and picked up some Body Slams (took as many shops on my route as possible -- when you can't buy relics, you have a lot of golds to spend on cards)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has ironclad been shined up a bit yet

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thank god I didn't get Time Eater as the boss. This was a fun one.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

god this game is fun

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Finally got the 1-relic achievement :w00t:

Sneko Eye of course, with what was probably one of the strongest decks I've ever used. Apparitions with multiple Burst+, Nightmare, and Bullet Time meant I could get 15+ turns of Intangible. Bullet Time is an absurd card with Sneko Eye.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 15, 2019

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
High asc Silent runs are starting to make me sick of this game.

I've done the other two, and my brain is broke so I can't allow myself to have fun and do stuff I enjoy like dual-color sealed draft runs etc. until I finish this dumb character.

I hate the Silent. That is all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

90s Shoes posted:

High asc Silent runs are starting to make me sick of this game.

I've done the other two, and my brain is broke so I can't allow myself to have fun and do stuff I enjoy like dual-color sealed draft runs etc. until I finish this dumb character.

I hate the Silent. That is all.

Silent needs more things to go her way than the other two.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Silent needs more things to go her way than the other two.

I dont really see how its possible to go the distance with silent if you dont get a footwork on higher ascension runs

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
In my first day I've managed 2 Silent Victories (1 normal, 1 ascension lvl1) and 2 Ironclad (both normal) but I'm yet to make it past an Act 2 boss with a Defect.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

babypolis posted:

I dont really see how its possible to go the distance with silent if you dont get a footwork on higher ascension runs
Nightmare + wraith form!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

babypolis posted:

I don't think Footwork is close to needed - I'm at A15. I think other stuff after image is much more impactful. Edit: Yeah, intangible generation is huge too.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
silent leans more on relics than cards, kinda opposite of the ironclad

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you dont get nearly as many chances for the rng to give you something to help secure a win with relics tho

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some relics that silent really benefits from? Obviously there's unceasing top, but I'm not sure what other win securing relics there are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some relics that silent really benefits from? Obviously there's unceasing top, but I'm not sure what other win securing relics there are

I found the Bandages were great on my run playing defensive poison/shiv