Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lockback posted:

The guy I quoted quoted Rick who talked about trading KAT in the "hypothetical talk pieces" way. That's where that came from.

Okay, I apologize then.

Not for my general orneriness in this thread, though. That is simply how I have chosen to react to the way this season has gone and the world is just going to have to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

Dario saric is magically good again

Fountain of Youth in the OKC riverwalk.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tae posted:

Ehhh he was like the top 1 or 2 TE at the time when the Patriots were at their peak dominance.

That would be Gronk.

Hernandez was there from 2010 to 2012, after the Brady/Moss undefeated Super Bowl loss but before the three most recent wins. Weird little gap era there.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just so everyone is aware, the Kings are the #2 seed

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also Russ tried to get some fans ejected for doing the "rock the baby" at him
https://streamable.com/h4r4oj

And before anyone says the fans probably did something else, security let them back to their seats

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Also Russ tried to get some fans ejected for doing the "rock the baby" at him
https://streamable.com/h4r4oj

And before anyone says the fans probably did something else, security let them back to their seats

Players are really bad GMs

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello Ja should be punished by being traded to the Wizards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://streamable.com/zqjcmj

The spirit of Nick Young lives on

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Tae posted:

Beautiful. :)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Lots of Wolves posts missing the biggest team problem: Logo is a dog.

How you gonna have that dawg in you if he's on your jersey?

Time for a rebrand. MUSKIES BINCH

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

WhyteRyce posted:

Can you steal the beam?

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Hello Ja should be punished by being traded to the Wizards.

I feel a more stern punishment would be exiling him from the country entirely. Memphis can have one (1) near-mint, barely-used Malachi Flynn in exchange.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Telluric Whistler posted:

XRay jerseys

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just change from Timberwolves to Dire Wolves and dial up the ferocity on the logo a bit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Telluric Whistler posted:

My favorite part of that was someone having to explain to Ricky Rubio that it was a freshwater fish.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://twitter.com/KingShogun_Z/status/1633287417875804160

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

My favorite part of that was someone having to explain to Ricky Rubio that it was a freshwater fish.

I was thinking about foreigners getting used to Minnesota particulars and just had an image of Rudy Gobert being told that Mille Lacs Lake is pronounced "Millax" and having an aneurysm.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tae posted:

the rebound bouncing right back to him but he he can't see it because he turned his back :lol:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was thinking about foreigners getting used to Minnesota particulars and just had an image of Rudy Gobert being told that Mille Lacs Lake is pronounced "Millax" and having an aneurysm.

No no Rudy "Saint Croy"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just heard one of my students say Ja got 50 games, anybody confirm yet?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mdemone posted:

Just heard one of my students say Ja got 50 games, anybody confirm yet?

Unless one of your students has more NBA connections and ability to call in favors than Woj or Shams. He's probably just saying what the theoretical max penalty that Ja can receive is.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

that might be the first picture ever taken of carlos boozer without his mouth open
He's like the anti-Hansbrough.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dexo posted:

Unless one of your students has more NBA connections and ability to call in favors than Woj or Shams. He's probably just saying what the theoretical max penalty that Ja can receive is.

yeah I believe he misread something which makes sense because this particular kid is kinda dopey

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lockback posted:

No no Rudy "Saint Croy"
Nicklet

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

The Western Conference is loving hilarious:

Kings are #2 at 38-26
Utah's #13 but just 8 games behind at 31-35
Five wins separate ten teams

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Nobody tell him how people pronounce the city name of Des Moines, Iowa.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Does anyone have the video of that one Kings fan loudly booing the Sabonis trade on live TV? He was holding a pizza crust and had retained a forensic dentist to determine if it belonged to Mo Harkless?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

big boi posted:

Does anyone have the video of that one Kings fan loudly booing the Sabonis trade on live TV? He was holding a pizza crust and had retained a forensic dentist to determine if it belonged to Mo Harkless?
Shocking twist it was WhyteRyce

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

Shocking twist it was WhyteRyce

And the video is loving hilarious

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I stand by my booing and also stand by me being wrong about lots of things so I never vote in any of Zogo polls

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I stand by my booing and also stand by me being wrong about lots of things so I never vote in any of Zogo polls
Wait it actually was you? I couldn't remember so I was joking :laffo:

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah, to be fair everyone thought it was a dumb trade at the time.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I think about that 'Welcome to hell Bonis' sign whenever I watch them play

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
welcome 2 hell domas

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought it was a "I guess selling out your future for the 6th seed is better than the last 20 years" move and I don't think anyone anticipated Baby Sabonis: Probably deserves at least 2nd team All-NBA.

Basketball is unpredictable and fun like that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

my attempt to explain myself. at the time:
- Tyrese Haliburton is a treasure and should be protected at all costs
- Tyrese wanted to actually be here and build something. Players saying "I like Sacramento" is like catnip to us
- It was a Fox or Tyrese decision and Fox was having a bad year and looked mentally checked out. Like, Rudy Gay year 4 in Sacramento checked out. He's great now but the talk last year was if we managed to break his spirit
- Sabonis not a good defender. He's smart and knows where to be but his lack of lateral movement or length puts him in situations where he can get exposed. We already had an era of an offensively gifted center who couldn't play defense and required a specific, perfect fit next to him at 4 which we could never find. I didn't want a DeMarcus Cousins version 2 but this time with a smile instead of a scowl era.
- Now our two best players are non-shooters
- We just traded our 2 best shooters away
- Much like the Cousins team, are we actually going to get the complementary pieces needed to build a functioning team or is this going to be another Cousins/Gay/Rondo squad. Up until then Monte was a day late and dollar short, asleep at his job kind of guy. Two off-seasons of doing nothing in FA or the draft and keeping Luke Walton around. I had no evidence to believe he wasn't done like all the talking heads were saying

why it ended up working and I was very wrong:
- Monte actually had an active, good off-season. Huerter, Murray, and Monk all brought shooting and play making to the team and was 1000x a better off-season than the one where he only brought in GR3 and Hassan Whiteside or the one where he brought back Alex Len and traded for Tristan Thompson as his big moves
- Mike Brown ended up being a great hire
- Fox wasn't mentally broken and putting Sabonis next to him actually rejuvenated him
- Sabonis is pretty good when surrounded with shooting and movement. He even got a slow, set shot from 3 that makes him be not a total non-factor from there
- The power of Friendship Ball and shooting is really strong
- The Beam

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 8, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Wait it actually was you? I couldn't remember so I was joking :laffo:

Yes it was me and my chest hurt the next day because booing non-stop for 15 minutes through a K95 mask so the TV mics can pick you up is hard work

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

I thought it was a "I guess selling out your future for the 6th seed is better than the last 20 years" move and I don't think anyone anticipated Baby Sabonis: Probably deserves at least 2nd team All-NBA.

Basketball is unpredictable and fun like that
At the time I thought that if you squinted and some things broke well for Sacramento it could work, but obviously not this well.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yes it was me and my chest hurt the next day because booing non-stop for 15 minutes through a K95 mask so the TV mics can pick you up is hard work
:lol:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tae posted:

The reaction of the bench is amazing

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Catching up on podcasts and Jaden's upcoming extension came up.

Nonmax extensions from the past two seasons:
  • Jordan Poole: 123/4
  • Tyler Herro: 120/4
  • RJ Barrett: 107/4
  • Jaren Jackson Jr: 105/4
  • Mikal Bridges: 90/4
  • Deandre Hunter: 90/4
  • Keldon Johnson: 74/4
  • Kevin Huerter: 65/4
  • Kevin Porter Jr: 63*/4*
  • Wendell Carter Jr: 50/4
  • Brandon Clarke: 50/4
I'm guessing his agent comes in starting between Herro and Jackson and the Wolves come in between Keldon and Bridges and they end up around $100/4. I don't know that Jaden's side has the confidence they'd beat $30m/yr in RFA but I don't think the Wolves want to take it that far either. At the end of the day he's a credible 3pt shooter who is also a stellar defender capable of matching anyone from Leonard to Morant who can also get to and finish at or around the rim at a high level... so I could definitely see higher

That would take Jaden and Ant through the 27-28 season, ending 2 years after the expiration of the Rudy contract and in KAT's option year. In addition to Moore and Minott on the roster through the end of Rudy's deal (Moore to RFA, Minott to UFA), they have:
  • 2023: 2nd (NYK)
  • 2024: 1st (own), 2nd (Worse of WAS/MEM)
  • 2025: 2nd (Utah)
  • 2026: 1st (worse of Utah/MN), 2nd (worse of SA/MIA/IND), 2nd (Utah)
  • 2028: 1st (own), 2nd (own)

For all the sturm und drang, if I had to bet on the next 5 years of a team in the league, KAT (through age 30/31), Ant (through age 26), and Jaden (through age 27) seem like one of the better options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That seems a little high for Jayden (Mikal Bridges is a strictly better player, for example). He's a good shooter but he's a 0 for any sort of playmaking. Something more like 4/60-80 maybe. But I always underrate wings like that.

I also don't think the Wolves can be a contender, even WCF is probably too far. But if they make the 2nd round it is a huge success for this team.