Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

lunar detritus posted:

Dude, I have barely talked to you at all.

Fixing the shadow curse bumps his approval up into the "let me duck" zone.

Just simply not fix the curse, easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The funniest thing about Halsin is how genuinely surprised he is if you let him down gently. He sincerely thinks you're down bad and is earnestly taken aback when he learns otherwise.

Honestly, I think it suits his character perfectly. He's a big buff elf who knows everything about nature and nothing about people. His best friend is an ancient ineffable spirit of the land. He was left for dead by one group of adventurers and then immediately joined a second one. He left loving Kagha in charge of the grove and thought it would turn out fine. Halsin is an honest to God himbo, of loving course he becomes smitten (and believes it's mutual) as soon as he meets an adventurer who says nice things to him and doesn't abandon him the instant goblins attack

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I enjoy that Halsin pursues the MC, just like the MC normally pursues their love interest. Halsin flirting with you is what y'all sound like to Shadowheart when you hand her a flower.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I enjoy that Halsin pursues the MC, just like the MC normally pursues their love interest. Halsin flirting with you is what y'all sound like to Shadowheart when you hand her a flower.

:stonk:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My first instinct is to disagree - a lot of the flirty dialogues with Shart can be fairly overt, but it's definitely possible to edge into her romance route without going full-bore. I chatted with her a lot and gave her a flower (just because she mentioned liking them!) and she ended up being like "hey so you and Karlach are getting awfully close. Have I misunderstood you, or...?"

Halsin, on the other hand, is just like "I have a crush on you and I think we are in love maybe. Would you like to hold hands?" Which, while definitely jumping the gun, is so bizarrely earnest that it's almost endearing compared to, say, Lae'zel's absolutely insane overtures

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Why would anyone choose a romantic interest other than Karlach, the obvious choice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In the second Karlach love scene is it implied that she is wearing a strap on? Because the positioning and motions don't make a lot of sense to me otherwise.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

They hated him because he spoke the truth

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I was confused by that as well, or we are doing Amazon position

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Karlach after 3 beers for courage: hey so... I really like you. I wish I could, I don't know, at least hug you or something without burning you. If we figure out a way to fix my cursed steampunk heart, just remember that, y'know, I'm down if you are. No pressure or anything! Just putting it out there.

Lae'zel, dead sober: you loving rear end in a top hat. God you stink so good. I want to hit you and bite you. I am the hottest motherfucker alive and if you don't sleep with me tonight it will give you permanent brain damage

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I was confused by that as well, or we are doing Amazon position

I think it's meant to be fairly ambiguous in a way that could work with any partner. Is she pegging you? Or is she just getting on top in kind of a femdommy sort of way? Let your heart decide!

The fact that there are gamer bros who got upset after they romanced Karlach will never stop being funny to me. Sir you decided to date the >6' tall flaming muscular passionately emotional berserker demon woman, what the gently caress were you expecting the sex scene to look like?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bird with big dick posted:

In the second Karlach love scene is it implied that she is wearing a strap on? Because the positioning and motions don't make a lot of sense to me otherwise.

I thought it was Karlach going "I'm going to fist you now" but clearly there's some room for interpretation!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Karlach is the sweetest, kindest, most lovable brick shithouse who will ever throw a car at me and I will deserve it

Lae'zel is a desert cactus who needs just a little bit of care and tenderness to show her true love and then she steps on you like a bug

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Lae’zel scared me into Marriage.

She threatens to kill me if I go Ghaik and step out of line. :3:

She duels.

She stares at the sunrise.

I ascend so we can share the sunrise.

She threatens to kill me if I use my power to step out of line :3:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

The fact that there are gamer bros who got upset after they romanced Karlach will never stop being funny to me. Sir you decided to date the >6' tall flaming muscular passionately emotional berserker demon woman, what the gently caress were you expecting the sex scene to look like?

Kind of a lovely take that she couldn’t possibly be feminine tbh

E: I’ve dated a couple women like Karlach who were not at all aggressive or dominant elsewhere, not to make a sexhaver post

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 20, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I couldn’t parse any of the sex scenes with Karlach because she was double the height of my Halfling and it always looked ridiculous. I think he was just humping her bellybutton.

Halsin is a classic example of a high Wisdom Moon Druid with dump stats in intelligence and charisma. He has no idea how people work, he’s been living with animals for too long. Just a big dumb earnest guy. I like him but yeah I don’t particularly want to bring him around. At least he’s not as grating as Wyll.

When I finished Wyll’s Act 3 personal quest he kept asking me what to do. Then the dialogue glitched out so I got his dialogue tree twice in a row and then a third time when we talked to his dad.

I just kept telling him “you do you man I don’t really know” and then he would launch into a big epic speech about how he’s now THE BLADE OF AVERNUS and I’m just like “oh cool man good luck with that sounds fun”.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Kind of a lovely take that she couldn’t possibly be feminine tbh

E: I’ve dated a couple women like Karlach who were not at all aggressive or dominant elsewhere, not to make a sexhaver post

I don't see how getting on top isn't feminine, but that's neither here nor there. I just meant that like... after watching her flip the gently caress out in the toll house, and particularly after her dialogue lines about going stir-crazy due to her long-time inability to take partners to bed, I'm not really sure how anyone expected her to be all submissive and demure in the sack. She's got a shitload of energy to work out! You should expect to come away from that feeling a little sore at the very least!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In hell what's the point of the spilled goblet/wine laced with an "exquisite poison"?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

I thought it was Karlach going "I'm going to fist you now" but clearly there's some room for interpretation!

I think you're getting Karlach mixed up with Shovel.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I think you're getting Karlach mixed up with Shovel.

Look at these jerks who didn't let the little poo poo rename himself Basket

It works too because he's a total basket case and I love him

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Let's just say after Karlach's romance scene the Flaming Fist takes on a whole new meaning!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

In hell what's the point of the spilled goblet/wine laced with an "exquisite poison"?

pretty sure that’s just raphael’s favourite tipple.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

Karlach is the sweetest, kindest, most lovable brick shithouse who will ever throw a car at me and I will deserve it

Lae'zel is a desert cactus who needs just a little bit of care and tenderness to show her true love and then she steps on you like a bug
Ladies; you can BOTH marry me!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

space uncle posted:

Halsin is a classic example of a high Wisdom Moon Druid with dump stats in intelligence and charisma. He has no idea how people work, he’s been living with animals for too long. Just a big dumb earnest guy. I like him but yeah I don’t particularly want to bring him around. At least he’s not as grating as Wyll.

Oliver ribbing him for crying, his extremely earnest "hey I gotta shoot my shot, right?" attempt to proposition my Tav (which he made immediately after I rescued him from Orin), and all his epilogue stuff (Daddy Halsin telling you about giving kids bear rides and begging you to give him some new bedtime stories!) really made me warm up to him. I wish he'd just join your party after the Grove so you could actually have a chunk of the game where it makes sense to have him around. Almost every other companion has their own thing they have to do, but is willing to carpool with you. It seems silly that he's the only one that tells you "yeah I'll meet you there" and *then* becomes recruitable.

Jaheira wouldn't make him feel so redundant if you got him at a point where you could run around doing some of the Underdark/Mountain Pass stuff and early act 2 with him in your party.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Minsc had a harder time fitting into my lineup than loving Legion, who you pick up at most two missions before the endgame if you want to save the crew. It helps that the two obvious ones are "Take them on the migrant fleet as a flex" and their personal loyalty mission. Minsc comes out of the box as a class that makes no sense for his in-game behaviour on account of BG1/2, and if you send him to Withers he still has to compete with Karlach and Lae'zel. Maybe he's a welcome relief if you made some incredibly bonehead Durge moves but I can't see him sticking around for long in those cases either?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 20, 2024

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I made him a tavern monk; it seems to fit him well. I can see it being awkward on a first playthrough but this second time around I just planned to use different folks in different parts of the game; to spread things around a little.

His being a ranger definitely doesn’t make any sense at all any more; nor does his stat distribution.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

As I am wrapping up my 2nd honour mode completion I am really disappointed in how simplistic the AI is. They all fight to the death, they counterspell cantrips, dispel magic isn’t a thing so they don’t deal with player fuckery at all. So much of the “broken” stuff players get away with is because nothing is really reactive to what the player does outside a few scripted moments. I hope they release some mod tools soon so some of this can be improved on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

I made him a tavern monk; it seems to fit him well. I can see it being awkward on a first playthrough but this second time around I just planned to use different folks in different parts of the game; to spread things around a little.

His being a ranger definitely doesn’t make any sense at all any more; nor does his stat distribution.
I went dual-wield Tiger and Wolverine Barbarian with STR as a dump stat and a certain mace to pin it back at 18 and benefit from the poison attacks. Still felt kinda flat vs the starting lineup.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I respect.him to monk and make him wear as little clothing as possible. He is eye candy for my gaslight, gatekeep, girl boss squad

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!
Getting close to finishing my second playthrough and it's wild how many things I missed the first time around. I wasn't even speeding through it, this game is just so packed with stuff, it rules. Also Open Hand monk definitely feels overpowered but I'm actually loving it when combined with my current party, just straight demolishing everybody with my fists while Karlach throws dudes into pits. No notes, best game

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Shumagorath posted:

Minsc had a harder time fitting into my lineup than loving Legion, who you pick up at most two missions before the endgame if you want to save the crew. It helps that the two obvious ones are "Take them on the migrant fleet as a flex" and their personal loyalty mission. Minsc comes out of the box as a class that makes no sense for his in-game behaviour on account of BG1/2, and if you send him to Withers he still has to compete with Karlach and Lae'zel. Maybe he's a welcome relief if you made some incredibly bonehead Durge moves but I can't see him sticking around for long in those cases either?

Having just finished the Durge acceptance quest, Jaheria Minsc and all the Harpers line up outside the Temple to stop you now that you've become Chosen.

Turns out walking through a long bridge of cloudkills doesn't do much for Harper health, however.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Minsc feels pretty easy to spec for me, although yes you gotta send him to Withers first to redistribute his stats and that's annoying. Ranger 4/Barbarian 8, make him strength-based, Hunter for easy passives, make his spellcasting all out of combat/utility poo poo (Longstrider/Enhance Leap/Goodberry), and then pick one of the two Barbarian subclasses you didn't use for Karlach (I picked Wildheart, Bear Minsc was a freight train).

Also I will add the stuff about gold being able to be used from the camp chest to the OP as soon as I get back to my computer, absolute gamechanger.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

lunar detritus posted:

Dude, I have barely talked to you at all.

I found this really off putting. If you pay Halsin a compliment, he professes his love for you. Same with Karlach, you do one nice thing and she wants to bone you. More of the same with Lae'zell. Shadowheart's romance seemed to be much more logically paced.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think Halsin is bugged. Every time I talk to him there's an option to apologize for flirting with him at the grove party, even if you literally don't speak to him there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Node posted:

Same with Karlach, you do one nice thing and she wants to bone you.
Karlach has spent the last decade without nice things so this is probably a realistic reaction when you treat her inf% nicer.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Node posted:

I found this really off putting. If you pay Halsin a compliment, he professes his love for you. Same with Karlach, you do one nice thing and she wants to bone you. More of the same with Lae'zell. Shadowheart's romance seemed to be much more logically paced.

Lae’zel fits the stereotype of a deployed soldier in that regard so idk. Now if she only had a high interest dodge challenger.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

having been to summer camp both as an attendee and a counselor, the pace at which things escalated was not surprising to me

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's kinda nuts how mysterious the way romance flags work in this game is. Lae'Zel only came onto me after killing hundreds of goblins, which, that checks out with her. Karlach meanwhile might be locked out of all romantic interactions because I only found her after the act one party?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Karlach’s romance is somewhat tricky to get. You have to see her affection scene before the party, because she has a specific followup scene that can only happen the morning after. It’s not actually tied to upgrading her infernal engine at all in Act 1, just the resolution of the grove questline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Lae’zel fits the stereotype of a deployed soldier in that regard so idk. Now if she only had a high interest dodge challenger.

It would be in character.

It would also be fire engine red with a license plate "Red Drgn"