Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

weakness posted:

Other less-conventional explanations were put forward, including author William Livingston Alden stating that "cosmic meat" was floating around in space that would drop through our atmosphere similarly to meteorites.

You mean meat-eorites? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Two men ate the space meats. Two human adults decided to consume meat that fell from the sky.

I used to think The Stuff was ridiculous because some dude decided to up and eat the white goo he finds erupting from the earth, but I guess people really will eat whatever mysterious substances.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Cosmic meat is what I call my cock.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Maybe a herd of cows wandered onto a military ordinance testing zone after escaping from a cattle ranch in the desert. Sounds like something out of a cartoon but so does supernova steak.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Detective Thompson posted:

Two men ate the space meats. Two human adults decided to consume meat that fell from the sky.

I used to think The Stuff was ridiculous because some dude decided to up and eat the white goo he finds erupting from the earth, but I guess people really will eat whatever mysterious substances.

There probably wasn't much stimulation in 1870s middle-of-nowhere Kentucky besides eating the occasional bit of mystery lung

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

You mean meat-eorites? :haw:

GET OUT.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Oh yeah, the land of incompetent baby boomers who vote for "Sheriff" Joe Arpacio really have a solid handle on extraterrestrial life.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ogive posted:

Oh yeah, the land of incompetent baby boomers who vote for "Sheriff" Joe Arpacio really have a solid handle on extraterrestrial life.

If they didn't file a flight plan they are illegal aliens and should be treated as such :colbert:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Nausea posted:

Might be the same footage as this, at about 26:40 you can hear a little of the audio if you turn it up and get an impression of how horrible it is:

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A00586_s01.do

Maybe I'm missing something but to me it doesn't sound any worse than your standard horror movie

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

serious norman posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but to me it doesn't sound any worse than your standard horror movie

The thing you are missing apparently is that those are real screams from real torture and not a movie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but I didn't find it that disturbing either. Maybe knowing going in it was going to be terrible braced me for it. I'm sure if I was just a guy on a jury and they busted something like that out I would be shocked and terrified. Having a bunch of posts telling you it was life changing and they couldn't make it through the muffled sounds from behind a closed door kinda makes it sound worse than it actually is.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I too, am more of a man than the folks who thought that audio was disturbing. They're just whiny girlbabies with too much empathy who just can't handle hearing a real person get tortured without getting disturbed by it. I mean, what kind of sissy gets creeped out by real life torture? Obviously not me, for I am manly and and don't even close my eyes while watching horror movies anymore. :smuggo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Seriously, The Shining was way more creepy than that real murder / torture audio, what's the deal with the guy who killed himself over the case as well? Fuckin pussy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe it's just because I've been desensitized by this thread but I'm also in that boat in a non-ironic-post way. There's really a lot of stuff out there on the internet accompanied by "you will never be the same", when the breakdown of what happened ends up being much more scary/unsettling/whathaveyou than the accompanying audio, to me at least. Without the context of what's happening to make the person scream like that, it's still unsettling in its own right because it's a person screaming because they're being tortured to death, but it lacks I guess the 'oomph' for lack of a better word that makes it actually unnerving. :shrug:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Apr 23, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Agreed. Next time these girls are being literally and for real tortured to death they should try to put a little passion into it if they want to freak me out. I'm on the internet a lot, you see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just didn't find it as frightening as it was purported to be sorry dude I'll try harder next time!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm turning 30 soon, and I actually feel like I'm getting more and more sensitive to this stuff, not less. It's getting harder and harder to watch the more brutal violence on TV, and whenever I watch a documentary about anything disturbing it effects me for hours, if not days. I don't know how this is really relevant, I just think its weird that I'm feeling the opposite of desensitized, which logically is what I should be by now.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'm turning 30 soon, and I actually feel like I'm getting more and more sensitive to this stuff, not less. It's getting harder and harder to watch the more brutal violence on TV, and whenever I watch a documentary about anything disturbing it effects me for hours, if not days. I don't know how this is really relevant, I just think its weird that I'm feeling the opposite of desensitized, which logically is what I should be by now.

Don't worry it circles back around again.
35 or so is when the stupid futility of it all becomes inescapable again and you'll be back to lolling at decapitation videos but it's different because you're older now and if you think you didn't give a gently caress when you were 16 well just you wait.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Oh poo poo you got the grandpas. Pretty soon you are complaining how your grandkids playing with airsoft guns is messing up their heads and fireworks just remind you about war.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno. I'm the same way as I age. I think I've got a greater sense of empathy towards people now because I've had more experiences that can help me relate to them. It goes hand in hand with being responsible for myself and my own actions - when I was a kid I didn't really understand what being a decent human being entails in the same way I do now. I'm repulsed by the idea that killers and abusers are able to set aside that responsibility and do what they do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Some killers and rapists totally lack all empathy and responsibility. Those are the people that frighten me. They just don't understand or care about what they have done.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Man, I'm so glad to be in the company of such strong internet folk who listen to a lady getting tortured and shrug it off. I'm also glad that they took the time to tell me about how they are desensitized to such things. How cool is that?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Last Chance posted:

Man, I'm so glad to be in the company of such strong internet folk who listen to a lady getting tortured and shrug it off. I'm also glad that they took the time to tell me about how they are desensitized to such things. How cool is that?

Gives me a real safe feeling having shall these big tough guys around

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.
No problem, I get a little half mast when I think of all the large goon bears who can handle this sorta stuff. It's a scary world out there, as this thread has shown us.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I'm scared of the clip.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I'm scared of the clip.

It bothered me more than I expected. Definitely more than anything else in this thread.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

These look really creepy and cool.

Kaiping Diaolou posted:

The Kaiping Diaolou are fortified multi-storey towers, generally made of reinforced concrete. ... The first towers were built during the early Qing Dynasty, reaching a peak in the 1920s and 1930s, when there were more than three thousand of these structures. Today, approximately 1,833 diaolou remain standing in Kaiping, and approximately 500 in Taishan. Although the diaolou served mainly as protection against forays by bandits, a few of them also served as living quarters.

Clipperton Island posted:

The British Pacific Island Company acquired the rights to guano deposits in 1906 and built a mining settlement in conjunction with the Mexican government. That same year, a lighthouse was erected under the orders of President Porfirio Díaz. By 1914 around 100 people—men, women, and children—were living there, resupplied every two months by a ship from Acapulco. With the escalation of fighting in the Mexican Revolution, the regular resupply visits ceased and the inhabitants were left to their own devices. The US Navy warship Lexington visited in late 1915 and advised evacuation of all inhabitants, but the governor, Captain Arnaud, declared that evacuation was not necessary.

By 1917 all but one of the male inhabitants had died. Many had perished from scurvy, while others (including Captain Arnaud) died during an attempt to sail after a passing ship to fetch help. Lighthouse keeper Victoriano Álvarez was the last man on the island, together with 15 women and children. Álvarez proclaimed himself "king" and began an orgy of rape and murder, before being killed by Tirza Rendon, who was the recipient of his unwanted attention. Almost immediately after Álvarez's death four women and seven children (the last survivors) were picked up by the US Navy gunship Yorktown on July 18, 1917. No more attempts were made to colonize it, though it was briefly occupied during the 1930s and 1940s.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Just read about this place; Two Ocean Pass. And more specifically Parting of the Waters.

quote:

Two Ocean Pass separates the headwaters of Pacific Creek, which flows Westerly to the Pacific Ocean, and Atlantic Creek, which flows Easterly to the Atlantic Ocean

Kind of mind blowing that there is place where you have single stream that will eventually flow into both the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

IIRC, current scientific opinion is that "desensitization to violence" is probably not a thing that can happen. Like, ever, for any reason.

Becoming jaded isn't the same as being truly desensitized, and the end result of repeated exposure to violence isn't sociopathy, it's loving PTSD.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

Those are goddamn loving awful photos. Filteeeeeeers.

Interesting story, though.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Those are goddamn loving awful photos. Filteeeeeeers.

Interesting story, though.

They may be mildly filtered, but the top one, at least, is a pretty good representation of what that city/area looks like much of the time.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

source posted:

The United States entered World War II on 7 December 1941 when Japanese planes launched a surprise attack on the United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The first official word of the attack that reached the rest of the United States came in a hurried dispatch from the ranking United States naval officer in Pearl Harbor, the Commander in Chief Pacific (CINCPAC), sent to all major navy commands and fleet units. This is a copy of the dispatch sent to the Commander in Chief Atlantic (CINCLANT) and received by the USS Ranger, an aircraft carrier that was returning to Norfolk, Virginia, from an ocean patrol when the attack occurred. The dispatch is one of five thousand items in the papers of Adm. John J. Ballentine (1896-1970), aviator and naval officer, deposited in the Manuscript Division by the Naval Historical Foundation.

This is pretty scary. The threat of war hanging over your head and finally your country is attacked. You don't know how many are dead or the extent of the damage. Either way you're screwed.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

DStecks posted:

IIRC, current scientific opinion is that "desensitization to violence" is probably not a thing that can happen. Like, ever, for any reason.

Becoming jaded isn't the same as being truly desensitized, and the end result of repeated exposure to violence isn't sociopathy, it's loving PTSD.

I don't understand what you mean, my man.

What causes a propensity towards any behavior, if not developmental exposure and imprinting of such behavior? Are you differentiating that from desensitization here?

Sokoban
Feb 16, 2011

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

Wedemeyer posted:

This is pretty scary. The threat of war hanging over your head and finally your country is attacked. You don't know how many are dead or the extent of the damage. Either way you're screwed.

A full-blown war with another country or several, although very unlikely today, is one of my irrational fears. Simply because of the reasons you've stated; you just don't know the extent of what's going down, or how hard the poo poo has hit the fan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Scientist posted:

I don't understand what you mean, my man.

What causes a propensity towards any behavior, if not developmental exposure and imprinting of such behavior? Are you differentiating that from desensitization here?

Yea I wouldn't equate a propensity towards a certain behavior with desensitization.

There's no one factor that's ever been proven to have a causal relationship to violent behavior. Developmental exposure to violence can certainly be one of the many factors that can lead to violent behavior later in life, but there are plenty of people who had exposure to it and never became violent themselves. There's no easy answer.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I think he was just saying that unless there's something really off about you, most people will always be somehow disturbed by extreme violence. Even if they claim to be desensitized.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I think he was just saying that unless there's something really off about you, most people will always be somehow disturbed by extreme violence. Even if they claim to be desensitized.

Bingo.

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.
I remember reading once in a Zack Parsons article on the front page about how geologists found a large cave under the ocean that likely contained air-filled chambers. I can't find the article now (it was a few years ago) but I remember finding the idea unnerving, especially when wondering what might live down there. Anyone know what I'm talking about or if there are any recent discoveries related to this cave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

After seeing this post I actually had a dream I was some sort of spy with a hideout in one last night and my cover got blown and I had to make a getaway. Fortunately I didn't wake up with sleep paralysis.

I was at least creeped out though when I had woken up and realized where I had been in the dream and where I had gotten the imagery from.

• Locked thread