Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Angel missiles are being nerfed and hidden body will work on them as of tomorrow's patch.

Lame. Wonder if obscuring will work as well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hidden Body's probably a bit much but considering I'd die just running to cover because they can lead the target a bit of a damage reduction wouldn't be bad.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Azuth0667 posted:

Its literally a trash mob you can get to kill itself and its fight has inferior music.

Right, it's Taurus Demon.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ringed City fights have pretty good music, on that note

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Augus posted:

This is an extremely bad opinion

Personally ioved Blighttown (and I played it at launch when it was probably at it's worst. It's just such a cool, atmospheric area. That moment when you look up and see that this huge ramshackle town of horrors is build underneath an enormous Lordran bridge gives a great sense of scale. I also like how vertical the level is and how repeated exploration is rewarded.

For the record I really loved The Gutter too. Lighting all the torches and returning to the top of the level to see them all in the distance was awesome. Hated Black Gulch though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Midir and Gael are probably some of my favorite all time, which is saying something because the series has so much good music.

But seriously, when that phase 2 Gael kicks in it's a total :tviv:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Anyone else find gael's timing window oddly reminiscent of nameless king's?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I haven't gotten to that phase 2. But I was blown away by the former's phase 2. Demon Prince also has really good music. I wasn't sure if the Ariandel fight music could be topped by god drat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I never thought I'd say this but this game has too many bosses with flaming swords

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Dark Souls 3 in general has some strong music. I think that's what I missed the most in Dark Souls 2. I still think it's weaker overall than 1, simply due to most tracks being very samey. Dark Souls 1 had Pinwheel, Sif, Gwyn, Moonlight Butterfly/Gwyndolin and Gravelord Nito and even Seath are all pretty different from the frantic strings and chanting that fills the rest of the soundtrack. Sure, they're not as "epic" or awesome as Ornstein and Smough or Gaping Dragon, but they really help add some diversity to the soundtrack and make those more traditional boss tracks stand out more.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Angel missiles are being nerfed and hidden body will work on them as of tomorrow's patch.

Good. I felt really loving cheated as my wizard character when I found Hidden Body did gently caress all to stop them from noticing me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maleh-Vor posted:

Dark Souls 3 in general has some strong music. I think that's what I missed the most in Dark Souls 2. I still think it's weaker overall than 1, simply due to most tracks being very samey. Dark Souls 1 had Pinwheel, Sif, Gwyn, Moonlight Butterfly/Gwyndolin and Gravelord Nito and even Seath are all pretty different from the frantic strings and chanting that fills the rest of the soundtrack. Sure, they're not as "epic" or awesome as Ornstein and Smough or Gaping Dragon, but they really help add some diversity to the soundtrack and make those more traditional boss tracks stand out more.

Old Dragonslayer's a pretty good track, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I haven't gotten to that phase 2. But I was blown away by the former's phase 2. Demon Prince also has really good music. I wasn't sure if the Ariandel fight music could be topped by god drat.

Seriously. I can't even listen to the track without getting chills. The triplets, blending of choir and violin and the shift from phase 2 to "phase 3" is just... insane. :vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggWJLgN-Es&feature=youtu.be&t=332 listen to this and tell me you don't get chills (:siren:but don't if you haven't already beaten the final boss!:siren:). Also holy poo poo the strings at 6:41 :stwoon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maleh-Vor posted:

DS3 completely eclipses the previous games, but I agree that DS2 was weaker. It had more.. "ambient" tracks? Kinda?

That said, tell me The Duke's Dear Freya doesn't loving sound like spiders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8VM9c6RcM

that's a horror movie soundtrack if I ever heard one :magical:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

on principle I'd argue that DS3 has too many bombastic choirs but they all own so :shrug:

I hardly noticed any of the Ringed City music because I was too busy screaming and running for my life though lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Abyss Watchers best song of all time

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

on principle I'd argue that DS3 has too many bombastic choirs but they all own so :shrug:

I hardly noticed any of the Ringed City music because I was too busy screaming and running for my life though lol

The fights in general are more bombastic. The bosses are really animated and flail around.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Explain to me how one kills the swamp summoner giant? I cheesed him with a greatbow because gently caress that noise but I don't see how he's beatable in melee? Stupid ghosts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The fights in general are more bombastic. The bosses are really animated and flail around.

I feel like Iudex Gundyr sets the mood so perfectly for the rest of the game, both in how fluidly animated he is and how epic the music is :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3HWo8fTpE

It's like "Welcome to Dark Souls 3, nerd!" :darksouls:

Also, like many of the DS3 tracks it has a very memorable melody. I've been humming this one since I first fought him at launch.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

double nine posted:

Explain to me how one kills the swamp summoner giant? I cheesed him with a greatbow because gently caress that noise but I don't see how he's beatable in melee? Stupid ghosts.

I find actually getting close is the hard part, once I'm in his face I can wail on him no problem

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Abyss Watchers best song of all time

Yeah, this is pretty much the only one I remember.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I feel like Iudex Gundyr sets the mood so perfectly for the rest of the game, both in how fluidly animated he is and how epic the music is :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3HWo8fTpE

It's like "Welcome to Dark Souls 3, nerd!" :darksouls:

Also, like many of the DS3 tracks it has a very memorable melody. I've been humming this one since I first fought him at launch.

Yeah. I started a new character (then gave up and repec'd an abandoned one into the build I wanted), and I was reminded how good that fight it. It's so fun once you're good at the game and can actually dodge his phase 2 stuff. And it is the perfect introduction to the game. Really let's you know that it's not pulling any punches.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords & Exile CGS are getting nerfed in tomorrow's patch, so try them out today if you're going to.

Holy poo poo the paired greatswords dominate. I went 11-2 with them in the arena while trying them out, my only losses were another RKPG user, and a drat good pyro who danced around me and black flamed me to death. That charge, the rolling L1, the R1-L1 sweeping combo.... they own bones and I'm gonna miss them.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I think my favorite and most memorable track in DS3 is Yhorm's phase 2. I don't think there's a single bad track in the soundtrack though, I just really like the variety in DS1 with the tracks that are outright weird and make for creepier fights and really play on those strengths.

DS3 is far more apocalyptic and has a stronger sense of urgency to your quest than the previous ones, though, so it makes sense that the music is so energetic. DS1 and 2 you're an undead that is kind of plodding through this quest that's slowly being put upon you with objectives that are revealed as you go. DS3 you're revived with a sole purpose after having failed, and the world is ending sooner than later, so you just need to go tear poo poo up. It goes well with the Unkindled->Embered->Flame theme of gaining stength and eventually consuming everything in your path.

I remember back in the DS1 thread someone mentioned they hadn't really noticed Seath's music since they had the volume kind of low, and thought it was part of the sound effects. I still whistle the Sif theme every now and then, too. Sif, Gwyn and Maiden Astraea are still overall my favorite songs in the series. Nameless Song (DS1 credits) is excelent too, and plays more on that self-doubt you have at the end when you realize you've kind of been played all game and are never really sure you did the right thing or if it was all for the benefit of others that used you. Even if you link the fire, it still means you died and will be a shriveled burning hollow standing in the Kiln for ages, until someone else comes to kill you. It's a tad more tragic. Same with Demon's Souls, where even the last "boss" is just a pathetic worm crawling on the ground, and you've pretty much become a demon yourself (especially after Astraea, and even more especially if you kill the Maiden).

PS, my uncle that works in From Software told me that if you get 99 liquid humanity, have the pendant in your inventory in NG+7 with the Dark Soul achievement when you go to Darkroot Garden, if you drop the I'm Sorry carving 100 times, do the prostration pose for an 73 minutes, and quit the game, you don't have to kill Sif again, as long as you never open Dark Souls again. I'm sorry, Sif.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuWvGee4T0

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah Yhorm's music really stuck out to me too

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

double nine posted:

run up to him and dodge all the things he summons? didnt seem all that hard. the rare archers he summons are compeatly dodgable since there are so few. the dark wave attacks are pretty brutal if even one of them hits since they tend to chain up kill you no matter what. not that hard to dodge though. leto shouldnt even be an issue.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

double nine posted:

You can dodge all his summons and his melee attacks are really slow. Alternatively; don't kill him. I see him as more of an environmental obstacle to be avoided, and you can explore the entire swamp without him noticing at all - except for one item or so in the middle. He might see you once you get up the ruined building, but at that point all he can do is summon little Ledo once or twice before he gives up.

He's creepy as hell, though! The dark swamp setting with the giant ominously walking about in the middle is really neat, reminds me of the prison bag boys from Bloodborne

Fly Molo posted:

Holy poo poo the paired greatswords dominate.

Yeah, and it seems like everyone is using them - which is understandable! I've been practicing on dodging them, but their combination of reach, poise, speed and damage is horrifying

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

double nine posted:

I just charged at him and hit his legs while strafing around him like I did every large mob in the game. You can zig zag between the archer shot waves (their arrows don't seem to track like most other projectiles in the game) and dodge if they're actually going to hit you, since there's so few of them. There's also a structure near him you can use for cover if you really want to. Just remember to get the bonfire that's as soon as you reach the swamp so you don't have to run back through half the city for it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ENEMY SENT TO A VERY NICE FARM UPSTATE
HE IS PLAYING WITH OTHER DOGS AND HAVING THE TIME OF HIS LIFE

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
This is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrbZc-J0-Z4&t=323s

Let's have a Dark Souls listening party.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Also coming in tomorrow's patch: "Increased damage and scaling of simple, crystal, fire, chaos, lightning, dark, deep and blessed infusions". Neat! I've seen more people using dex and str weapons since the last patch, hopefully this will add some variety to other builds as well! Poison is still useless for higher level PvP, though - but I guess increasing poison damage further would be awful at lower levels.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Why isn't the thread title "Dark Souls III: The Ringed City - And a very fine dark souls to you!"

Also heavy +10 door shields are the sickest poo poo and I was both surprised and delighted they weren't nerfed in this whiner patch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jordbo posted:

Also coming in tomorrow's patch: "Increased damage and scaling of simple, crystal, fire, chaos, lightning, dark, deep and blessed infusions". Neat! I've seen more people using dex and str weapons since the last patch, hopefully this will add some variety to other builds as well! Poison is still useless for higher level PvP, though - but I guess increasing poison damage further would be awful at lower levels.

I'm liking everything about this patch, except for the defense nerf to the Church Spear item that is specifically when the host has summons, for some ungodly reason. It's not like you're unkillable as it is, in fact, you take about as much damage as the NPC version of the boss fight which means you can actually survive and it gives a reasonable amount of challenge to the host if they do summon. The only adjustment they should be making to that fight/covenant is making it so you can be summoned more quickly than an hour.

Laputanmachine posted:

Why isn't the thread title "Dark Souls III: The Ringed City - And a very fine dark souls to you!"

Also heavy +10 door shields are the sickest poo poo and I was both surprised and delighted they weren't nerfed in this whiner patch.

I'm bad at coming up with clever thread titles and that was the best I got when I queried the thread. :shrug:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It was more meta when the title was a rehashed joke from earlier in the thread's lifecycle.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Where are the patch notes? I'm bummed I haven't beaten Midir and am going to get nerfed before I even get to enjoy spearpvp.

Also, do you even get anything for killing adjudicator in the swamp?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mastershakeman posted:

Where are the patch notes? I'm bummed I haven't beaten Midir and am going to get nerfed before I even get to enjoy spearpvp.

Also, do you even get anything for killing adjudicator in the swamp?

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/63dy5d/the_patches_notes_regulation_version_132_april_5th/

I like that hidden body will work on the angels. Seems like a logical nerf

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bloodborne has the series' best tracks, particularly the themes for the final boss (not the "true" final boss) and the first boss of the DLC.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Archdragon peak is a pretty good example of what dark souls is all about. You murder everyone and everything and then you kill a dude and his friend dragon. For really no reason other than they attacked you? And you rang a bell. The bell was weird. All I got out of killing that dragon lightning god guy was a set of armor and a titanite slab. Oh my god was he a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh my god was he a pain in the rear end.

A former ROYAL pain in the rear end :eng101: