Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/ColinDangColin/status/1643101970486505472?s=20

I want to BELIEVE he's trolling but then again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
when you see that globe emoji it is not a bit, or it's such an elaborate and long running unbroken kayfabe that it really doesn't matter

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I admire Spec Ops: The Line for at least attempting to say something poignant about modern military shooters, even if it did come across a bit hamfisted in parts.

Because let’s be honest, Call of Duty is hosed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

the thing that really needs dividing are shitlib redditor brains

the "let's break up China including an independent Manchukuo" maps are a dime a dozen, but it's a special kind of deranged fascist to go back and split Vietnam again

Endman posted:

I admire Spec Ops: The Line for at least attempting to say something poignant about modern military shooters, even if it did come across a bit hamfisted in parts.

precisely

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Endman posted:

plus it felt badass when Deep Purple was playing during a firefight

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I just like getting pwned for buying a product, by that product.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I just like getting pwned for buying a product, by that product.

Me the first time I watched Funny Games

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Spec Ops isn't a great commentary on video games in general but it's a pretty good horror game about American intervention

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Me the first time I watched Funny Games

First in German, to then in English.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hi kids, do you like violence?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

like not stellar or anything but the average shootmans game doesn't even try

Endman posted:

I admire Spec Ops: The Line for at least attempting to say something poignant about modern military shooters

they shouldn't, that's not the kind of game that is

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

indigi posted:

I guess I don't really expect Call of Duty to actively have political commentary on whatever, but, you know, maybe not have a mission called "Highway of Death" set in the Middle East and it's because of "Russian bombing"

like at some point you are actively whitewashing American war crimes rather than merely failing to comment on them in any way which is the lowest loving bar and yet somehow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I agree that they shouldn't do imperialist propaganda either, but it is the kind of game to do that in

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I haven't liked CoD since it left ww2. All the modern warfare games feel extremely gross.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I haven't liked CoD since it left ww2. All the modern warfare games feel extremely gross.

The original Modern Warfare had some moments where it felt like it had something to say. But there weren't many and it felt like they learned the wrong lesson from that nuke scene.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

indigi posted:

drat I didn’t realise we had the dude who decides what commentary is or isn’t allowed in particular kinds of video game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's allowed it will just be really clunky and poorly implemented

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Aim Down Sights more like... Maim Down Fights

-
Spec Ops: The Line

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Leck posted:

plus it felt badass when Deep Purple was playing during a firefight

it didnt just feel badass, it was badass

- spec ops: the line

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who the gently caress plays campaigns in games like CoD I thought people only wanted them for the multiplayer?

Someone post that steam group picture of every playing cod MW2 in the group saying they wouldn't buy it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spec Ops The Line really earns it because every part of its initial presentation, and gameplay, is of an absolutely standard and serviceable brown war shooter as were inescapably popular at the time, down to being at least nominally a sequel to the first Spec Ops game that played it entirely straight.

I dunno how much the 'the good ending is turning off the game' discourse is actually on point, I got the idea that the point is more the protagonist insisting that killing people is the only way forward even when explicitly ordered not to, to the point where the game doesn't present you with any options to refuse to commit atrocities of questionable at best strategic value, kinda drives home more that you're not playing the good guys, and you are not in control of the narrative.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

McCracAttack posted:

The original Modern Warfare had some moments where it felt like it had something to say. But there weren't many and it felt like they learned the wrong lesson from that nuke scene.

Also it was somehow a more Tom Clancy game than most actual Tom Clancy games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Orange Devil posted:

Also it was somehow a more Tom Clancy game than most actual Tom Clancy games.

I mean, the devs would probably take that as a compliment.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spec Ops The Line really earns it because every part of its initial presentation, and gameplay, is of an absolutely standard and serviceable brown war shooter as were inescapably popular at the time, down to being at least nominally a sequel to the first Spec Ops game that played it entirely straight.

I dunno how much the 'the good ending is turning off the game' discourse is actually on point, I got the idea that the point is more the protagonist insisting that killing people is the only way forward even when explicitly ordered not to, to the point where the game doesn't present you with any options to refuse to commit atrocities of questionable at best strategic value, kinda drives home more that you're not playing the good guys, and you are not in control of the narrative.

I think the “you can always turn the game off” thing might have been an offhand comment from one of the devs and idiots on the internet ran with it. I think your insight is spot on and that’s how I felt about the game myself.

I think the game wants you to play it, and it wants you to feel bad about the things you do in it. I personally like that, but I get why that rubs some people the wrong way.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

but the nature of the game reinforces the opposite of that reading. the point of a(lmost every) video game, and especially shootemup games, is to take on the role of the protagonist and beat it. you go into the experience with that meta goal locked and loaded. any impediments to this - while in the real world or from a detached observer's perspective (like reading a book or watching a movie) could be identified as a correct choice or whatever - is something to be overcome rather than examined philosophically, and when provided with only one option to continue making progress it's the only thing you're even able to consider within the framework of "be the guy, beat the game." so killing people is automatically the correct action, simply because completing the objective is your meta-goal. offering no other option to the player isn't going to cause them to stop and reflect any more than running out of ammo would, it's simply a problem to be overcome.

e: this type of video game is structured from the outset to subvert a person's typical decision-making process because it's so thoroughly on-rails, even if the creators set out to encourage the opposite, just because of how its mechanics work. it's not the right type of game to make this point. you wanna combine it with RPG or more open world storytelling, you can probably make that point, but that's a different game for a different audience

indigi has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Apr 6, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe fps fans are just brain-dead sociopaths and shouldn't be catered to. Really a lot to consider here, hmmmm

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I saw a reddit comic whining about the line so I assume it's a great game

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Itmechr3/status/1643902381329883136?t=2XjHeQddymHlv7wH9bZaFQ&s=19

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

man the ~cultural appropriation~ discourse doesn't have the juice it used to — and thank god, those were some of the dumbest and most convoluted args ever argged

this person (NYT food writer?) is gettin cooked in the replies and QTs for making GBS threads on this guy for trying to make homemade naan, people are posting pico de gallo she made 2 years ago lmao

https://twitter.com/ourobororoboruo/status/1643652398810791958
https://twitter.com/ourobororoboruo/status/1643980341840052229

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

lmao, is this about the state sponsered media tag?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
critical support for all whitebois making naan.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm culturally appropriating nyt writers by being a loving idiot

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

critical support for all whitebois making naan.

i tried making injera once and got some teff from an ethiopian restaurant and the lady who ran it was so happy and explained how to do it and even gave me a little starter (tho she was like, you better not use this to start your own ethiopian food biz)

of course i hosed it up hard (a just cosmic punishment for my cultural appropriation) and had like 4 pounds of leftover teff i never used

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I appropriate from multiple cultures by making naan pizza. although I guess Italians don't count

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

this terminally online moron seriously thinks the Taliban is watching twitter like a hawk to decide how to treat Westeners

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

why tf would an "anarchist" care about NPR lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

because they're stupid

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

my bony fealty posted:

this terminally online moron seriously thinks the Taliban is watching twitter like a hawk to decide how to treat Westeners

TBF I bet the Taliban are spending all day on twitter instead of working because they have desk jobs now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Scooby-Doo meme where "liberal" is under the hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

christmas boots posted:

TBF I bet the Taliban are spending all day on twitter instead of working because they have desk jobs now

the fact that taliban guys are like "hey wait being a government bureaucrat sucks" is kinda funny