Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LargeHadron posted:

I don't know how honest the packaging is, but it says "Raw Spanish Peanuts" on it.

They did actually start to sprout, but at the same time they turned yellow and began to smell like anus, and the skins got gooey.

You need to disinfect EVERYTHING before you sprout. The chance of growing something nasty and spoiling a batch / killing people is high enough that most commercially grown sprouts get sprayed with a dilute bleach solution.

Then again, I know nothing about sprouting peanuts, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Limiting device log ins was the big recent-ish change that rankled with many people. I have a poo poo ton of devices and it is a pain in the rear end to be limited to the app on my phone and my main PC only. I used to have it on my ipad/laptop to have in the kitchen.

Granted, I still am a heavy Evernote user between my scratchpad, my various DND campaign notebooks, and my cookbook. Just a shame that Premium features seem to be business/team oriented and the only feature for someone like me is the multiple device access. I'd probably pay for Premium if there was anything else to it for me.

Ah, ok.
I'm a dinosaur and only use my desktop PC and phone, so that didn't effect me at all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

sterster posted:

Is this because most kids int he US eat candy, hotdogs and grapes?
Like does this data translate to - Dates in the middle east or surstromming for the weird as gently caress ice people?
There are physical features that make grapes and hot dogs perfect for choking and difficult to remove, instead of like cereal or apples that are even more consumed by Western kids. On the other hand, if kids ate as many cherry tomatoes or whole olives as they do grapes, they'd probably be tied for third.

tl;dr. dead baby talk obv

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

There are physical features that make grapes and hot dogs perfect for choking and difficult to remove, instead of like cereal or apples that are even more consumed by Western kids. On the other hand, if kids ate as many cherry tomatoes or whole olives as they do grapes, they'd probably be tied for third.

tl;dr. dead baby talk obv

don't you dare talk bad about my cherry tomatoes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

totalnewbie posted:

I've never been in a car accident so seat belts are stupid.

No, this is a specious argument. There are, on average, 150 fatal choking incidents in children in the USA per year. Grapes are number three on the list, which means that the absolute maximum number of deaths per year by choking on grapes is less than 50. There are roughly 20 million under fives in the US. The odds are minuscule, and telling children to chew their food and sit still while they eat would solve the problem and teach them a useful life skill.

Disclaimer: I am aware that I am a grumpy old man who has strange ideas about the value of manners and listening, and that the current thinking is very much in favour of coddling and protecting at the expense of everything else

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Why not just teach your kids the value of manners and listening with other lessons that don't leave them dead if they don't comply to your weird rear end ideas

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

and telling children to chew their food and sit still while they eat would solve the problem and teach them a useful life skill.

The problem is they are not going to listen to this. Honestly, as you pointed out this is such a small number that I can only conclude GOD wanted your kid to die and you're a bad parent and he's teaching you a lesson. Or ya know what, poo poo loving happens and sometimes it's sad.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Scientastic posted:

Disclaimer: I am aware that I am a grumpy old man who has strange ideas about the value of manners and listening, and that the current thinking is very much in favour of coddling and protecting at the expense of everything else

Then how do you explain the George W Bush pretzel incident

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

AnonSpore posted:

Why not just teach your kids the value of manners and listening with other lessons that don't leave them dead if they don't comply to your weird rear end ideas

Because eating whole grapes doesn’t actually kill many children at all and it’s an entirely manufactured panic that would be solved by the “weird rear end idea” of chewing food.

Edit: I’m clearly a loving monster for not cutting up my children’s grapes, you should probably ignore my meltdown and mince all food into a pulp and take it intravenously, to minimise the risk of choking and/or enjoyment

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 22, 2019

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm sure if my kid died from not chewing grapes I'd be very comforted by the fact that it doesn't actually happen that often at all

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Scientastic posted:

No, this is a specious argument. There are, on average, 150 fatal choking incidents in children in the USA per year. Grapes are number three on the list, which means that the absolute maximum number of deaths per year by choking on grapes is less than 50. There are roughly 20 million under fives in the US. The odds are minuscule, and telling children to chew their food and sit still while they eat would solve the problem and teach them a useful life skill.
Between 66 and 77 kids die from choking on food each year. But every year, 12,000 kids get taken to the ER from choking on food. There are a lot of very bad outcomes, like permanent brain damage from oxygen deprivation, that aren't outright deaths.

I get mad about parental oneupmanship too, but I direct that anger at people who pressure moms to make homemade Oreos and homemade poptarts and poo poo. I'm not mad at parents who just don't want dead babies.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's seedless grapes and grapes too. The lack of seeds means they don't need to be chewed. Buy your kids seeded grapes and they'll find the truth and light that is cherry tomato.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Squashy Nipples posted:

You need to disinfect EVERYTHING before you sprout. The chance of growing something nasty and spoiling a batch / killing people is high enough that most commercially grown sprouts get sprayed with a dilute bleach solution.

Then again, I know nothing about sprouting peanuts, so...

This is helpful. Thanks :)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

glad to finally have someone brave enough to speak up about giving babies choking hazards. tired of all the drat politically correct sjws dominating the general questions cooking thread. is this an unpopular opinion? sure. but i can tell you one thing: at least none of those dead babies grew up to get participation trophies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anne Whateley posted:

Between 66 and 77 kids die from choking on food each year. But every year, 12,000 kids get taken to the ER from choking on food. There are a lot of very bad outcomes, like permanent brain damage from oxygen deprivation, that aren't outright deaths.

I get mad about parental oneupmanship too, but I direct that anger at people who pressure moms to make homemade Oreos and homemade poptarts and poo poo. I'm not mad at parents who just don't want dead babies.

Plus not all choking is the same. Sometimes, food does go down the wrong pipe but does not completely obstruct the airway. Still bad, but not as bad as not being able to breathe at all.

Foods like hot dogs, grapes, and hard candies are more dangerous because when they get lodged in the throat, they're more likely to completely obstruct the airway than not.

Trying to avoid preventable injury and death in kids who can barely speak is not some sort of mollycoddling. It's the sensible loving thing to do. There's no sort of PANIC about kids eating whole grapes. There is, however, sensible people telling otherwise-clueless parents about potential dangers to avoid, that's all.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I feel this idiot derail is partially my fault for joking about toddler hot dog cutting techniques, so let me be the one to change it up: yall like havarti?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Dill havarti is pretty good as a snack but i feel like the dill is doing all the work.

i recently came across this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thetakeout.com/cheese-does-not-belong-on-every-sandwich-1833297224/amp

which you could rightly argue is a stupid article but it has.made me think more about why i would put cheese on a sandwich. like i think havarti and provolone are absolutely lost in any cold sandwich other than a cheese & pickle.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Where would you guys recommend I start when it comes to pickling my own stuff?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I love it and use it in literal stuffed pork chops. Not that cut in half butterfly poo poo. Artichoke hearts, havarti, spinach, pipe into center cut hole. Then wrap the chop in bacon. Sear for crust, in over for like 20min-30 min or something. I love the creamyness that it provides.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I keep loving up my brown rice, what the hell is the proper rice/water ratio? I'm using long grain brown rice.

The bag suggests 1 cup rice, 2 1/2 cups of water which just gave me insanely wet rice. I tried 1 cup rice, 1 1/4 cups water; got dry, slightly undercooked rice. I just don't want to gently caress up my rice a third time this week, what am I doing wrong.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

big dyke energy posted:

I keep loving up my brown rice, what the hell is the proper rice/water ratio? I'm using long grain brown rice.

The bag suggests 1 cup rice, 2 1/2 cups of water which just gave me insanely wet rice. I tried 1 cup rice, 1 1/4 cups water; got dry, slightly undercooked rice. I just don't want to gently caress up my rice a third time this week, what am I doing wrong.

I use 1 cup rinsed rice and 2 cups water for about 40 minutes. It turns out pretty good but keep in mind I'm not a rice connoisseur at all and I mainly eat it for health reasons.

Qubee posted:

Where would you guys recommend I start when it comes to pickling my own stuff?

This thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 23, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

I feel this idiot derail is partially my fault for joking about toddler hot dog cutting techniques, so let me be the one to change it up: yall like havarti?

Havarti is a good cheese, and don't let anyone tell you different. I like it as a topper for toasted blueberry muffins. Take a blueberry muffin, cut it in half, then toast it. Then throw a couple slices of havarti on it. That's high living.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I feel like I'm some sort of rice rebel or something. I just rinse my rice under running water, dump it in a saucepan, pour boiling water from the kettle over it until the pan is 3/4 full, then boil white rice for 12 minutes brown for 25 and then drain it. I finish by putting the rice back in the hot pan with the lid on and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before eating.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

big dyke energy posted:

I do 1 c brown rice to 1.5 c water in a super cheap rice cooker. I don't rinse the rice first or anything because :effort:. It comes out chewy, which is exactly how I like it, but someone else might think it's a little under. If you don't think chewy sounds good, try 1.75 c.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

big dyke energy posted:

Pasta method that summbitch. Large quantities of water, bring to furious boil. Salt nicely. Add rice. Cook until about 90% cooked. Drain the rice of the water, but not till bone dry. Throw some oil in the bottom of the pot, dump back in the rice, and put the lid on. Let it sit over residual heat (for electric job) or over lowest lowest heat for about 10 minutes.

RE pickling Look for It’s Alive with Brad on the YouTube.

EDIT: looks like someone beat me to the punch.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ boiled rice. Heathen.

big dyke energy posted:

You can usually let your rice steam longer if you find it too wet. Letting out the steam is also an option if it's been sealed very well.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I do like a slightly chewy rice, so I'm going to try 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup rice this time.

I will never use the pasta method for rice, that's insane. I have no trouble getting white rices down, it's just the brown rice has been foiling me lately.

e: success!! A bit of it stuck to the bottom, but whatever, most of it is great.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 23, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This might be an oddball request, but what should I do with 3 pounds of butter? A buddy of mine, along with his wife, gave it to me as they are severely lactose intolerant and can't use it themselves. I live alone and I'm single, so anything I make needs to either freeze well or just use a ton of it. I've already given away what I could.

And no, don't ask me why they had so much butter. It's currently in my freezer since it would certainly go rancid if I left it in the fridge.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Make and freeze cookie dough, also make cookies and give them to friends/colleagues

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah if it's unsalted bake bake bake bake or you could turn some into ghee

these are absolutely insanely good
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/bravetart-glossy-fudge-brownies.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Salted butter still makes good shortbread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Salted still works in most baking

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

big dyke energy posted:

I do like a slightly chewy rice, so I'm going to try 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup rice this time.

I will never use the pasta method for rice, that's insane. I have no trouble getting white rices down, it's just the brown rice has been foiling me lately.

e: success!! A bit of it stuck to the bottom, but whatever, most of it is great.

Getting the ratio right for rice is nontrivial IMO, so you weren't doing anything wrong. The right ratio will change based on the cooking vessel and heat level that the rice is cooked with. You just want to get enough water for the rice to absorb, plus the amount of water that will evaporate during cooking. Then you have to get the heat level right, if it's too hot it will burn and scorch on the bottom, and if it's too cold the rice won't cook in time.

For white rice, my method (before receiving a rice cooker as a gift) was 1) measure the evaporation rate of the pot I was using and 2) use a 1:1 rice to water ratio, plus enough water to cancel out evaporation losses. This seemed to work across several different stoves and pots, but I never tried it with brown rice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

big dyke energy posted:

I use a little butter (also stops it from foaming up), and that turns that into a dreamy tahdig/socarrat, it's my favorite part. Can be done with any fat, schmaltz if you just roasted a chicken, olive oil, whatever.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This might be an oddball request, but what should I do with 3 pounds of butter? A buddy of mine, along with his wife, gave it to me as they are severely lactose intolerant and can't use it themselves. I live alone and I'm single, so anything I make needs to either freeze well or just use a ton of it. I've already given away what I could.

And no, don't ask me why they had so much butter. It's currently in my freezer since it would certainly go rancid if I left it in the fridge.
It will keep frozen forever, so no urgency

Also the other day I asked about a chocolate glaze that would set to be firm but fudgy. A ratio of 1 oz chocolate to 1 Tbsp butter, melted together, yields exactly the texture I wanted. I don't know what the technical name for that is, a butter ganache??

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Can I replace milk with almond milk in a standard non buttermilk pancake recipe?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Can I replace milk with almond milk in a standard non buttermilk pancake recipe?

If you are using off the shelf almond milk I'd compare nutrition facts. Relatively same sugars, fats and proteins, go ahead. If you're doing homemade it's more of a question mark but still, slightly worse pancakes are still pretty good.

I take it this is just a substitution out of convenience rather than diet, if buttermilk is still being used?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

If you are using off the shelf almond milk I'd compare nutrition facts. Relatively same sugars, fats and proteins, go ahead. If you're doing homemade it's more of a question mark but still, slightly worse pancakes are still pretty good.

I take it this is just a substitution out of convenience rather than diet, if buttermilk is still being used?

Buttermilk is not being used. It's a little bit of both, I'm slightly lactose intolerant so don't have milk in the house, but I do occasionally buy some for baking. I'll just give it a shot

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yeah it’s completely fine and unnoticeable. I’m sure you already know this but make sure you use unsweetened unflavored almondmilk if you can.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Interesting things to do with shrimp besides grilling or frying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nephzinho posted:

Interesting things to do with shrimp besides grilling or frying?

Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That's about it.