Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, Tactical Nexus is genuinely great. It also has a huge free demo. Definitely play it (and join the Discord) if you liked Tower of the Sorcerer and/or Desktop Dungeons.

The steam page for this game is one of the worst I've ever seen. If I'm reading it right the majority of the game is actually locked behind paid DLC, most of which isn't even available yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No, search this thread for the many explainers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can't get into Tactical Nexus though I see what the appeal is. It's a game of temporal optimization basically where you optimize the order of your flipping of a vast set of switches, almost like some kind of circuit board thing with a coat of RPG paint. It's waaaaay to complex with too many things to keep track of for me though. Playing through initially is fun but the thought of going back and optimizing the whole run makes me nauseous.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was expecting something a lot tighter from what people were talking about. There's a one-screen board that's pretty great but most of the levels are like 20 floors to go back and forth between and it's just too much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I respect what Tactical Nexus is going for and I'm very glad it exists, but ho boy is it not for me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The steam page for this game is one of the worst I've ever seen. If I'm reading it right the majority of the game is actually locked behind paid DLC, most of which isn't even available yet?
it is literally the worst-explained concept ever, the developers are obsessed with the idea that they're providing $700 worth of game time so they can charge like $700 for it or something mad like that

e: game's fun, if not really my cup of tea, I put ten hours into the demo and didn't regret it, respect it for what it is, not for me though

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Even if you don't buy the game, the Team Nexus Twitter account is a funny and enjoyable read.

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1540299198511190016

Of course, English is not their first language, but they also just have an unusual sense of humor and way of looking at the world in general. Which makes sense, since they created Tactical Nexus.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nrook posted:

Even if you don't buy the game, the Team Nexus Twitter account is a funny and enjoyable read.

Of course, English is not their first language, but they also just have an unusual sense of humor and way of looking at the world in general. Which makes sense, since they created Tactical Nexus.

Lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nrook posted:

you may not like it, but this is what peak gamedev performance looks like, etc.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, I actually sent them a big message being like "this increasing pricing scheme is a terrible idea," but like pages long

they responded with basically "we're weirdos who do things our own way, so we'll probably do it even though it's a bad idea, cheers mate"

(worth noting that they DID agree to delay/slow said price increases... and haven't actually done any of them yet, despite it being supposedly way past due. I think they're just enjoying having an actual fanbase or something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

genuinely curious if the people getting something out of tactical nexus would enjoy the Deadly Rooms of Death series (shortened to DROD most of the time)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

genuinely curious if the people getting something out of tactical nexus would enjoy the Deadly Rooms of Death series (shortened to DROD most of the time)

DROD or DROD RPG?

Because mainline DROD games are just a straight up room based puzzle games with none of the optimisation strategies of Tactical Nexus. They're some of the best puzzle games in existence though and hugely influential. Absolutely worth checking out.

DROD RPG is enjoyed by many people who enjoy Tactical Nexus since it comes from the same family of games (it's a little easier as well)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nrook posted:

Of course, English is not their first language

Are you sure about that? I tried the demo and there's a piece of text where "increasing" is spelled "incleasing". Pronouncing it that way isn't uncommon among Japanese speakers because they don't have the distinct phonemes in their own language, but writing it is an entirely different matter.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Are you sure about that? I tried the demo and there's a piece of text where "increasing" is spelled "incleasing". Pronouncing it that way isn't uncommon among Japanese speakers because they don't have the distinct phonemes in their own language, but writing it is an entirely different matter.

Japanese people transliterate English weirdly all the time, especially if they aren't pro-translators. The infamous Zolo vs. Zorro arguments of One Piece is a prime example.

I love a wrestling promotion called Gatoh Move which strictly speaking should be Gateau Move.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fez_machine posted:

DROD or DROD RPG?

Because mainline DROD games are just a straight up room based puzzle games with none of the optimisation strategies of Tactical Nexus. They're some of the best puzzle games in existence though and hugely influential. Absolutely worth checking out.

DROD RPG is enjoyed by many people who enjoy Tactical Nexus since it comes from the same family of games (it's a little easier as well)

both, i suppose. i mostly meant the series as a whole, i guess!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a Discord server where Goons chat about these types of games? Instead of posting every random question in here as I'm playing something.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

They're probably still using irc like it's 1990 I bet

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a Discord server where Goons chat about these types of games? Instead of posting every random question in here as I'm playing something.
there is actually a discord for Tactical Nexus, made by the goon who made the thread, it's in the first post of the thread

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

moonmazed posted:

have you played they are billions?

They Are Billions was a cool concept but an absolute dogshit game, so I'm pretty excited to see some other takes on that concept are coming down the pipe.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Grabbed Conquest of Elysium 4 since I like Dominions, I was curious about CoE5, and it was on sale for $5. I cannot help but feel I am missing something, the game seems very shallow compared to what I was expecting. Most nations seem somewhat one trick ponyish and overall it just seems like there is a lot less stuff compared to Dominions. Also, is there a mod to make it so animals cannot capture sites, or at least a way to prohibit them from spawning in game? There is nothing more annoying that needing to constantly babysit everything all game long in case a deer walks by and somehow manages to capture a citadel, though it is amusing winning the game on turn 2 because all AI lost their primary base to wildlife.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 27, 2022

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Quixzlizx posted:

I would be much happier if you keep posting your questions in here since chatting is the point of these forums and I definitely don't want to join even more discords i need to mute and never read.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pain of Mind posted:

Grabbed Conquest of Elysium 4 since I like Dominions, I was curious about CoE5, and it was on sale for $5. I cannot help but feel I am missing something, the game seems very shallow compared to what I was expecting. Most nations seems somewhat one trick ponyish and overall it just seems like there is a lot less stuff compared to Dominions. Also, is there a mod to make it so animals cannot capture sites, or at least a way to prohibit them from spawning in game? There is nothing more annoying that needing to constantly babysit everything all game long in case a deer walks by and somehow manages to capture a citadel, though it is amusing winning the game on turn 2 because all AI lost their primary base to wildlife.

That squares with my CoE experience. Constantly babysitting tons of towns and sitting on my hands for a zillion turns for my faction to generate enough resources to do something cool, but it's okay and doesn't matter because the AI can't handle playing the game at all in the slightest(despite CoE being a singleplayer game) and has likely died to some marauding deer while you're dicking around doing gently caress all. Maybe if the game actually lasts long enough you can go dimension hopping and punch some demons or elementals or something despite there being no reason to do that because, as stated, the AI can't play the game at all so you don't need to do any of that to win.

I loved playing Dominions way back when but I found CoE horrible.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Somehow i have sunk 30 hours into star renegades and only beaten it once, on my second run

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up 20 Minutes Till Dawn and I'm digging it, though I'm having a hard time playing anything other than Abby+SMGs because once you get a Tome of Rage, the lightning attack/reload ability, and shot count multipliers, everything just kinda dies in a bullet hell of your own making and it's the most fun thing.

Also Tactical Nexus reminds me of, like Desktop Dungeons crossed over with Chip's Challenge. I'm intrigued.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pain of Mind posted:

Grabbed Conquest of Elysium 4 since I like Dominions, I was curious about CoE5, and it was on sale for $5. I cannot help but feel I am missing something, the game seems very shallow compared to what I was expecting. Most nations seems somewhat one trick ponyish and overall it just seems like there is a lot less stuff compared to Dominions. Also, is there a mod to make it so animals cannot capture sites, or at least a way to prohibit them from spawning in game? There is nothing more annoying that needing to constantly babysit everything all game long in case a deer walks by and somehow manages to capture a citadel, though it is amusing winning the game on turn 2 because all AI lost their primary base to wildlife.

Yeah I wanted to like it, it has some charm, with the cool units and the humor, but the game is really about suffering a low start, then creep the first 200 turns and eventually grow a big ball of doom with hundreds of units and conquest the continent with it, stomping the stupid opponents that made you go though the slog.
But if you look at it objectively, the game strategically can't compare with Dominions being much more simple, it has less content than Dominions, the enemy AI is really bad (so many instances of enemy groups not attacking me when they should, nor retreating when they should), the game pace is very slow for the first 90 minutes, and the neutral units conquering your resource tiles is just -annoying- game design.
Some people say Dominions is for multiplayer but even comparing single player experiences, I'd still pick Dominions SP over CoE SP.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Framboise posted:

Picked up 20 Minutes Till Dawn and I'm digging it, though I'm having a hard time playing anything other than Abby+SMGs because once you get a Tome of Rage, the lightning attack/reload ability, and shot count multipliers, everything just kinda dies in a bullet hell of your own making and it's the most fun thing.

Yeah, the balance is still a bit all over the place. Anyone can win, and can probably do so with any weapon, but the level of brokenness varies drastically. Also the freezing tree is still by far the best one even after getting massively nerfed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CoE is definitely not comparable to Dominions. There should be several mods for every version of the game to (at minimum) add immobile sentry units to starting cities so they don't get capped by wandering whatevers, and after that maintaining control of unit-producing tiles (towers, cities) so you can funnel those units around as defenders and bulk up your armies is a big part of the game. But at the end of the day it's a very RNG-influenced fast-paced autobattler roguelike rather than a deep strategy game like Dominions. CoE5 added some cool world stuff (multiple new planes, reasons to explore those planes, etc) and it's fun and novel to march through them and capture them or whatnot but it's totally outside the scope of the meat of the game which is just quickly capping the map and wiping out opponents - like, unless you intentionally go out of your way to capture the underworld (which doesn't get you any closer to 'victory') then you'll likely never even set foot there.

Personally I like it because it's one of the only "empire management" strategy games where I can choose to just go off on a grand adventure as whatever tier 3 wizard into the planes of heaven and hell and ancestral spirits, just for the sake of adventure. And despite each of the empires being pretty flat individually, each one plays quite differently so there's a lot of variety from game to game. But I see it more as like a quick coffee break game where I'll start it up and play 30 minutes of a new save and have fun with some basic mechanical map conquering and then never touch that save again.

It also requires some fair mastery of the mechanics and races to really even understand what you should be doing as a particular race and how to grow them to a point where their spellcasting and rituals are affordable.

There's definitely some depth in knowing and understanding how certain units can counter entire armies, or in knowing when to stop growing an army larger because more units are just impeding its mobility and fighting capacity, or knowing how a wizard with a particular spell can hard counter [whatever], and things like that - but it's not a deep strategic depth, it's more of a "haha I just figured out a trick to [whatever]" kind of depth.

Definitely not for everyone and I wouldn't even suggest it to Dominions fans unless it sounds like it will scratch a particular itch to them. In fact I don't know that I'd actively recommend it at all because there's just not much to it unless you're looking for that basic sort of roll the dice and see which army dies miserably timewaster. But it's a specific itch that other games don't scratch. I got about 120 combined total hours somehow out of CoE4 and 5 :shrug: 5 also added a lot of new modding capacity and I initially planned on modding in new races just for the heck of it but I lost interest before all the new mod commands were fully documented :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 27, 2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played a bit of Gordian Quest over the weekend since it just got out of EA and it's alright, but ultimately I don't think it's worth buying. I didn't play the Realm Mode, which I think is more the STS-like structure, but the campaign, at least Act 1 and some of Act 2 that I played, was chock full of filler fights where one of my dudes (probably overpowered) just destroyed on his turn, to the extent that the other two members of my party basically do nothing unless there's a boss, in which case they still basically do nothing compared to the one dude. As a result, anything that provides Guard is basically useless and anything that summons is also not that great, as summons are essentially dots that can also tank some damage. This is all on Normal and Acts 1-2, so maybe I need to jack the difficulty up, but fights just become tedious when I'm doing something for hours (Act 1 took me like 6 hours to beat...) with very little gain. Really, any card that needs set up (i.e., this attack does +20% damage for each have token XYZ you have) just becomes wasted. The rest of the adventuring is also pretty tedious, including camping and adventuring, where like, again, you just sorta do the same things over and over again with very questionable gains (except Camping, where inexplicably you can upgrade 2 of your cards in the party, which is a pretty huge gain?).

A weird mechanical quirk is that each character's decks start at 12 cards and you draw 5 every turn, which is pretty normal. However, unlike StS and other deckbuilders, whenever you get a new card, you don't necessarily have to put it in your deck. So by the end of Act 1, my characters had deck sizes of 10 or so and were drawing 6-7 and could keep 1, so essentially deck management just becomes "Put your best cards in here and maybe a couple of conditional utility cards." I don't know how much smaller my deck could get, but I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of Act 2 I'll get to a state where I draw my entire deck in a single turn. It's such a baffling piece of game design that demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of a deckbuilding game.

There's also stats and whatnot, but all it means is that some cards, most of which are dependent on one stat, aren't as great as other cards because you're an Int focused character but you keep drawing Dex cards. What this means is that each character's card pool shrinks because why would you care about the Dex focused attack cards if you're maxing Int? Otherwise, you can balance out your stats and then just get a pool of cards that are just kinda meh, compared to the characters whose main attack cards are all of one stat. Equipment is also mostly boring stat increases, unless you get one of the critical pieces of equipment that give you +1 AP, in which case you cling onto it until you get another piece of equipment that's better but also gives you +1 AP. There are some legendary pieces of equipment that actually do change things (i.e., a glove that gives the Swipe skill an AoE), but they're kinda few and far between, and their relevance is entirely RNG dependent.

Ultimately, I think there's a lot of game in Gordian Quest, but none of it is really compelling or tightly designed and some of it is just very poorly designed, but it'll still occupy your time I guess?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tactical Nexus may be good, but where's the Big Bia translation?
I need to be BIG and BIA.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FrickenMoron posted:

Tactical Nexus may be good, but where's the Big Bia translation?
I need to be BIG and BIA.

Said one or two months in the steam forum for the new translation

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

GrandpaPants posted:

Ultimately, I think there's a lot of game in Gordian Quest, but none of it is really compelling or tightly designed and some of it is just very poorly designed, but it'll still occupy your time I guess?

Pretty much my thoughts on it. A shame, as the broad concept was great - a big tactical deckbuilder with deep customization and RPG story stuff. But it really misses the mark.
Compared to (IMO the gold standard) StS, the balance is dreadful. Lots of pointless trash fights, and it seems very easy to break the difficulty over your knee due to the near-perfect control you have over your deck. That would be fine if the battles were also equally difficult - consider something like Card Quest, where you have a fixed deck based on your starting items, but every combat is a difficult puzzle that brutally punishes you for making mistakes. Instead 90% of fights are a case of throwing out cards in a random order and stuff probably dies. All the interesting tactical stuff doesn't matter as the numbers are so fundamentally flawed you can brute force anything. Likewise, enemy design is pretty forgettable when you can just bulldoze everything. All of that combined means there''s no tension of whether to go for elite nodes or seek out healing like StS, you just pick stuff at random.
Aside from that fatal flaw, it seems to suffer from the unfortunately common problem of continuously adding stuff without asking if it makes for meaningful gameplay. Like mentioned in the above post, there's a ton of stats and gear and so on but it all blurs together to be meaningless. Consider StS and how the right artifact can warp your entire playthrough, or the joy of getting a key card to build around early on - in GQ there's just a ton of samey items to pick through. This isn't helped by having multiple characters so it's a constant battle with the UI to sort through and equip people.
Speaking of that problem, what's especially terrible in realm mode is the levelling up system. You not only have a bunch of feats to pick from, you also have a FF10/PoE style 'talent grid' that you piece together like a puzzle over time. Sounds cool right? Except you're doing it every 5 minutes after each fight, and as you're generally just progressing in one direction it accomplishes absolutely nothing except wasting your time.
There's a bunch of secondary systems like camping, exploration, crafting and so on, and aside from a few giant outliers they're cool sounding but pointless busywork. Which in general sums up the game - lots of stuff, but very little of it feels interesting.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I nearly got through a run of 20 Minutes Till Dawn and I think my dragon's rate of fire is so high it crashed the game. Shame too since there was 1 second left. Don't use the triple the next upgrade buff on boosting it's attack speed every minute.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I like Vivid Knight. It had been on my wishlist for a while and sure it's anime as hell but I'm having fun trying to figure out how I'm supposed to value spending money on symbols versus fishing for upgrades and managing storage space and stuff.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

logger posted:

I nearly got through a run of 20 Minutes Till Dawn and I think my dragon's rate of fire is so high it crashed the game. Shame too since there was 1 second left. Don't use the triple the next upgrade buff on boosting it's attack speed every minute.

jesus, is is multiplicative and not additive? That's wild, then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I like Vivid Knight. It had been on my wishlist for a while and sure it's anime as hell but I'm having fun trying to figure out how I'm supposed to value spending money on symbols versus fishing for upgrades and managing storage space and stuff.

I been getting back into it recently, its just a really nifty game. Really want more stuff in the vein but the other autobattlers in this genre just miss the mark for me.

I really like the look of the game, it reminds me of a candy shop lol, with just the colors and how things are shiny.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snooze Cruise posted:

I been getting back into it recently, its just a really nifty game. Really want more stuff in the vein but the other autobattlers in this genre just miss the mark for me.

I really like the look of the game, it reminds me of a candy shop lol, with just the colors and how things are shiny.
Yeah, the aesthetic does a really good job of nailing like... a cheap lovely phone game? but in a high quality way? everything is cute and rounded and shiny and, well, vivid. They should be proud!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I like the bright colors and the gameplay of Vivid Knight, but the rest of the aesthetic I find pretty off-putting. I just can't get into the anime children and their constant high pitched yelling. It didn't take long before I had to mute the whole game. When my four year old pointed to the main character and said "Why is she a baby?!" I just shook my head and said "I don't know, kid. I don't know."

It's a shame because there's a fun game in there, if I could get past my embarrassment of playing it in front of my family.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Captain Foo posted:

Somehow i have sunk 30 hours into star renegades and only beaten it once, on my second run

I've ended up putting more time in than initially planned too. It's charming and more fun than I was expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

tactical nexus looks like the type of game i would be forced to play in hell