Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Nobody out side of the Lower Mainland is allowed to eat California Rolls.

You may not want to, but if you did, you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Is Tojo's the only place allowed to serve them?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

AegisP posted:

Ketchup chips.

fuckin all-dressed

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I've seen the all-dressed sold and advertised in the U.S. as "Canadian All-Dressed". They weren't as good as back home, seriously.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

man all-dress chips are garbage, but they are definitely distinctly canadian

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
All-dressed was someone on the board being like "wait what if instead of getting the janitor to throw out everything he sweeps up off the factory floor we make it a flavour instead" and you mouth breathers eat it up.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

don't include me in this, I am smart and good and don't eat chips

*drinks TNT and iron horse*

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JawKnee posted:

don't include me in this, I am smart and good and don't eat chips

*drinks TNT and iron horse*

Does this include fish & chips? Because that would be extremely un-Canadian of you.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

uh I'm a west-coaster

*sips latte*

that is an east cost and limey thing

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

JawKnee posted:

uh I'm a west-coaster

*sips latte*

Considering one of the few things I miss about living in Vancouver is Mr. Pickwicks I disagree with your assessment.

What about the Maritimes? Do they have any culturally original food?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

NS has their own unique donair, plus lots of very east coast Canada fish foods. Like candied salmon. :barf:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Furnaceface posted:

NS has their own unique donair, plus lots of very east coast Canada fish foods. Like candied salmon. :barf:

Oh yeah I kept hearing about the Nova Scotia Donair; friends would gush about it and complain about the local stuff.

But I guess that would constitute double cultural appropriation to make that a Canadian food.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is candied salmon different from really sweet smoked salmon? Because I smoke my own salmon and make it pretty dang sweet, but I'm from BC.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Annnnnd I think the Maritimes lost their right to be involved in this conversation right there.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JawKnee posted:

uh I'm a west-coaster

*sips latte*

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Just some musing about the situation in BC. How close these guys are in numbers makes things a little interesting.

There's the normal risk of someone crossing the floor, or even just the rare person voting their concience on a bill here and there and actually swinging things. You never know.

There's also the fun situation of the speaker needing to be appointed. I don't see why the liberals would volunteer. That means that every vote could potentially require the speaker to be a tie-breaker. i'm pretty sure this sort of structural tie has never happened in Canada. Anyone else know of one? Tie breaking votes are normally because it was tight getting enough MPs/MLAs in for a vote, rather than being because the government structurally doesn't have an extra vote. Convention is that, even when casting a vote, the speaker tries to be somewhat neural and err on the side of process continuing. So in intermediate steps he'll kick things along, allow more debate, and that sort of thing. I wonder if that starts to wear thin really quickly. The reasoning behind it doesn't really work in this specific case, since the point of staying neutral and passing things along is in hopes that it can be resolved through further deliberation, which it won't be because it's a structural problem in the numbers.

The below is about tie breakers in the House of Commons, so the precedent doesn't necessarily have to hold, but it would normally be a guideline at a minimum.

"ourcommons.ca posted:

In theory, the Speaker has the same freedom as any other Member to vote in accordance with his or her conscience; however, the exercise of this responsibility could involve the Speaker in partisan debate, which would adversely affect the confidence of the House in his or her impartiality. Therefore, certain conventions have developed as a guide to Speakers (and Chairs in a Committee of the Whole) in the infrequent exercise of the casting vote.[98] Concisely put, the Speaker normally votes to maintain the status quo. This entails voting in the following fashion:
* whenever possible, leaving the matter open for future consideration and allowing for further discussion by the House;

* whenever no further discussion is possible, preserving the possibility that the matter might somehow be brought back in the future and be decided by a majority of the House; and

* leaving a bill in its existing form rather than causing it to be amended.[99]

In 1863, these conventions were acknowledged in the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada when the Speaker was called upon to give a casting vote, and gave as his reason “that in the case of an equal division, the practice was, that the Speaker should keep the question as long as possible before the House in order to afford a further opportunity to the House of expressing an opinion upon it”.[100] The application of this convention has not always been entirely consistent. For instance, on one occasion, the Speaker voted in favour of a hoist amendment[101] to the motion for third reading of a bill in order “to keep the Bill before the House”;[102] on another, the Speaker voted against a hoist amendment for the same reason (“to give the House a further opportunity for consideration”).

Another interesting wrinkle is BC's recall system. You can't submit a recall petition until 18 months after an election. If this government lasts that long, will we get a strategic attempt at recalls to flip control of the legislature? You need a crapload of signatures, which only one attempt has ever actually gotten (presumably... Reitsma resigned before they were verified). It's probably not realistic to get 40% of the eligable voters to sign on to a petition without really pissing them off somehow, but it could be interesting.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 30, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This is a largely accurate account of a Halifax donair experience, even if not writing about Halifax

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Well it's not just the police dumping natives in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-bus-stranded-diabetic-man-1.4136133

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Spence said the officers suggested he walk to the next community and to keep far to the right of the highway because it was dark and vehicles might not see him.

The closest town, Wabowden, is more than 200 kilometres north of Grand Rapids.

Canada's national symbol, folks.

"WAH DIDN'T I JUST SHOOT IM?"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Clearly you guys have never dipped your chicken fingers in some good old Manitoba Honey Dill Sauce.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/869557454367051776

Equal pay, 3 weeks min vacation after 5 years, personal emergency leave days too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hm, that sounds like a good change that's been a long time comiHEY EVERYONE LOOK OVER THERE A GIANT INFLATABLE DUCK

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

brucio posted:

Equal pay, 3 weeks min vacation after 5 years, personal emergency leave days too

I thought 3 weeks after 5 years was already the poo poo-tier minimum standard in every province. What year is it in Ontario, fuckin' 1932?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wonder how contract workers fit into these changes?
And if that three weeks @ five years thing only applies to fulltime workers.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

Go Wynne, that's really awesome for tech bro computer janitors, incentivizing the shift to automation even harder.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the trump tutelage posted:

I wonder how contract workers fit into these changes?
And if that three weeks @ five years thing only applies to fulltime workers.

Could you imagine if someone actually decided to start enforcing penalties for misclassifying workers? Hooo boy.

There goes the entire gig-economy, for one. It'd be a thing of beauty.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Go Wynne, that's really awesome for tech bro computer janitors, incentivizing the shift to automation even harder.

I'm not sure that "Machines will take the job that doesn't pay enough for you to live off of!" is a really compelling argument against a higher minimum wage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

You should code the automation shift hth

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

But raising minimum wages harm job creators and damage the economy. :ohdear:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Worth mentioning that Ontario law ostensibly already requires two weeks vacation time so technically that's a bump to three weeks after five years rather than going from zero to three weeks after five years of work

Still a giveaway to older generations because younger people are much less likely to get five years in the same job.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

I'm not sure that "Machines will take the job that doesn't pay enough for you to live off of!" is a really compelling argument against a higher minimum wage.

I wasn't being sarcastic, just pointing out a fun side effect. Wynne gets to generate good, clean tech jobs at the expense of mcdonalds cashier jobs while the latter thinks they're getting a great favor. It's a classic Wynne-win.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I wasn't being sarcastic, just pointing out a fun side effect. Wynne gets to generate good, clean tech jobs at the expense of mcdonalds cashier jobs while the latter thinks they're getting a great favor. It's a classic Wynne-win.

Didn't McDonald's have to hire more people after they began automating the ordering process because ordering had been the bottleneck, and now they needed to cook poo poo a lot faster?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Didn't McDonald's have to hire more people after they began automating the ordering process because ordering had been the bottleneck, and now they needed to cook poo poo a lot faster?

And they added a new position to help out with the ordering anyway.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2022

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
oh poo poo kathleen wynne herself just triggered the robo automation apocalypse by raising the minimum wage

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

Worth mentioning that Ontario law ostensibly already requires two weeks vacation time so technically that's a bump to three weeks after five years rather than going from zero to three weeks after five years of work

Still a giveaway to older generations because younger people are much less likely to get five years in the same job.

Young people don't have full time jobs

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm thinking more and more, boomers are just starting to retire now right. So in the next 5 or 10 years we need 10-15 years of conservative government in Ontario to cut the healthcare sector so they die off faster.

FYGM boomers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Young people don't have full time jobs

Yeah I suppose the idea is a minimum wage hike to lure in younger voters and an increase in vacation time to lure in middle-aged ones. Something for everyone!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Oh maybe, I didn't really research that example at all, I just took for granted that automation was a threat to minimum wage jobs. If that's the case, maybe the general situation is that automation is adding more to the economy which will create more minimum positions. The part of me that's always zero summing questions where these new customers were eating lunch before though.

If you look at the region as a whole, as the lunch creation process becomes more efficient, less people should be involved in creating those lunches. The number of lunches eaten is going to stay the same. Maybe the mcdonalds got a surge in customers because they're twice as fast now but the other lunch places will catch up or go out of business.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Lol at you guys thinking this will ever happen. Its a empty election promise and even if the Liberals win in 2018 you know they're just going to Lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

Lol at you guys thinking this will ever happen. Its a empty election promise and even if the Liberals win in 2018 you know they're just going to Lib

tbf minimum wage raises are like the one thing Wynne has actually reliably followed through on and one week of additional vacation after five years in the same job is such a tiny giveaway to a small enough (and old enough) section of the population that I could see them actually implementing that one too