Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casimir Radon posted:

Realms of the Haunting's engine is the one Gremlin developed for Normality, but reengineered to be a FPS. Normality was an adventure game with no shooting or action sequences of any kind.

Normality in the 3D engine was originally supposed to have shooting and other action sequences though. But then Normality was also originally originally supposed to be a standard 2D engine adventure game instead of a 3D engine game too, so basically they were just kind of making things up as they went along. There's still lots of obviously cut content and storyline stuff in the final game and you can kinda see where stuff like that would have fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fil5000 posted:

I just remembered the defence missions being pretty fun and different for the time and was wondering if they held up. Don't worry, based on the response here I've no intention of grabbing it from GoG and playing it again, I'm happy enough knowing it's rubbish.

To be honest you've got me curious if looking at it thru the lens of 15 years of CoD would give me any different impression. It helps that it's in my steam library already though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can rebind a lot of poo poo in RotH to resemble a modern config, it's not that crazy lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know it's not technically a FPS BUT...

Some crazy progress being made on Daggerfall Unity over at the DF Workshop. And, some guy who's just on their forums over there has introduced a new type of quest that actually gets you out and about, exploring the world, which is nice.

This kind of thing actually makes me VERY interested in learning how to make quests.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/912801859743526912

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fishmech posted:

Normality in the 3D engine was originally supposed to have shooting and other action sequences though. But then Normality was also originally originally supposed to be a standard 2D engine adventure game instead of a 3D engine game too, so basically they were just kind of making things up as they went along. There's still lots of obviously cut content and storyline stuff in the final game and you can kinda see where stuff like that would have fit in.

Normality is also different between the US and UK versions. The US version was re-dubbed, with Corey Feldman voicing the protagonist and he did some different lines. I don't know if there's a patch for Normality, though; I think only the UK dub is available nowadays.

I do remember reading the LP of Normality in the LP Archive, and it was pointed out how there was a lot of stuff present in the final game that goes unused.

With both games (moreso with RotH), I've always been annoyed that there isn't more behind-the-scenes info like design sketches and whatnot to be found online. I've read that the strategy guide for Normality goes into detail about the original concept. TCRF has some info on it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Latest version of BloodGDX is out with support for loading new art and stuff. It's pretty neat!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

fishmech posted:

I'm honestly surprised no one has ever opened up RotH for hidden content. You'd it would have a Cutting Room Floor article by now but it's still just sitting there with all the unused content of the game taunting you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

especially since you can tell that realms of the haunting was kind of rushed near the end. it sets up an interesting little story and then kind of craps itself once you're far enough in.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Latest version of BloodGDX is out with support for loading new art and stuff. It's pretty neat!

I really like this port, but also kinda wish there was a non-Java version.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

I really like this port, but also kinda wish there was a non-Java version.

Me too, but I've been using the portable Java solution and it's been working for me. Also, while it will now load the custom art it's not quite to the point where it will load Bloody Pulp Fiction's custom sounds (though new midis are supported, which is cool).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think E4M2: Perfect Hatred is as far as I'll get in Ultimate Doom on Ultra-Violence. I thought the cacodemon clusterfuck at the beginning was bad enough and took quite a few attempts because I started the level at 7 HP, but now there's barons of hell everywhere and oh god where did all my ammo and health go and now there's a cyberdemon and where the gently caress is that secret teleport and aarrgh :gonk:

My ripping and/or tearing skills just aren't up to the task, I think.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

can i talk about 12 year old game, swat 4 in this thread? because i finally got around to playing it and the last mission made me want to rip my hair out.

also goddang that game came out in 2005 but it looks like it came out in 2002.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

I think E4M2: Perfect Hatred is as far as I'll get in Ultimate Doom on Ultra-Violence. I thought the cacodemon clusterfuck at the beginning was bad enough and took quite a few attempts because I started the level at 7 HP, but now there's barons of hell everywhere and oh god where did all my ammo and health go and now there's a cyberdemon and where the gently caress is that secret teleport and aarrgh :gonk:

That's about as hard as it gets, you know. Also there's absolutely no need to fight that cyberdemon.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Also there's absolutely no need to fight that cyberdemon.
I wasn't planning to, I was always going to either telefrag him (except I forgot where that teleport was, so I need to look it up) or run past him to the exit. I guess I'll try again later on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Me too, but I've been using the portable Java solution and it's been working for me. Also, while it will now load the custom art it's not quite to the point where it will load Bloody Pulp Fiction's custom sounds (though new midis are supported, which is cool).

Oh what's the portable solution? Sounds like it could be an improvement

edit: found it!

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 28, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Doc Morbid posted:

The first two levels of E4 are brutal but it really dies down after that. E4M6 also gets a bit rough but you'll have more stuff by then.

You might want to give yourself a better chance than starting with 7HP though! If you're using ZDoom you can just summon a medikit and pretend you did better on E4M1 if you don't want to try again :)

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Doc Morbid posted:

E4M1 is what it is, and as such E4M2 is painful to start for lack of resources. It does get much easier if you're very methodical in how you approach it. The rest of E4 is positively easy after that though.

Playing through E4 with Project Brutality makes E4M2 spectacularly painful, in case you're wondering. Especially if you're doing a 100-100-100 run.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

So, apparently DBThanatos is going to incorporate single player into the Quake: Champions Doom mod he's working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWCsiJ5Q44

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Looks fun!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roobanguy posted:

can i talk about 12 year old game, swat 4 in this thread? because i finally got around to playing it and the last mission made me want to rip my hair out.

also goddang that game came out in 2005 but it looks like it came out in 2002.

Despite enjoying it, I never got too far in SWAT 4 (maybe I'll revisit it one day since I still own the game and expansion on CD around here somewhere) but I seem to recall that the series was never really strong when it came to graphics. I do find it interesting that the on-the-fly tactical FPS "genre" SWAT exists in has very few other titles, though. I remember that there was an X-Com title in the works for a while, but it got killed mid-development. Seems like a reboot of something like this would be pretty cool nowadays.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Despite enjoying it, I never got too far in SWAT 4 (maybe I'll revisit it one day since I still own the game and expansion on CD around here somewhere) but I seem to recall that the series was never really strong when it came to graphics. I do find it interesting that the on-the-fly tactical FPS "genre" SWAT exists in has very few other titles, though. I remember that there was an X-Com title in the works for a while, but it got killed mid-development. Seems like a reboot of something like this would be pretty cool nowadays.

it'd be cool to see a modern swat game, and see if they would fix some of my problems with the game. while i enjoyed swat 4 quite a bit, even if the last mission was almost completely unfun, it has some frustrating bits. the shooting isn't good, and there were many frustrating moments where i strafed for half a second and whoops, i am no longer able to hit this dude shooting me 5 feet away because the weapon bloom is so extreme if you arn't walking.

the swat AI can also be really stupid at times, where they will breach into a room, get shot at and not react at all until they're all dead, but then other times they're super on point and will shoot everyone the moment a gun is even waved in their direction. it also doesn't handle orders very well, often times i would have to issue and reissue the same command before the team would actually do it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

david_a posted:

The first two levels of E4 are brutal but it really dies down after that. E4M6 also gets a bit rough but you'll have more stuff by then.

You might want to give yourself a better chance than starting with 7HP though! If you're using ZDoom you can just summon a medikit and pretend you did better on E4M1 if you don't want to try again :)
Starting with 7 HP was fine, just gotta kill the shotgun guys quickly and then beeline for the two nearby medkits. I finally ended up beating the level without having to restart or cheat, just needed to remind myself how to get to the teleport in order to telefrag the cyberdemon. The level probably would've been easier if I had realized you can grab the BFG early if you hump the wall from the other side, but I got through it and that's what counts.

Now I'm in E4M6, which I recall was pretty rough even on Hurt Me Plenty so I decided to take a break.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doesn't Rainbow Six Siege work something like this? Granted, the other people on your team are human players and everyone has their own special gadgets and abilities, but it seems to be in the ballpark.

Roobanguy posted:

it'd be cool to see a modern swat game, and see if they would fix some of my problems with the game. while i enjoyed swat 4 quite a bit, even if the last mission was almost completely unfun, it has some frustrating bits. the shooting isn't good, and there were many frustrating moments where i strafed for half a second and whoops, i am no longer able to hit this dude shooting me 5 feet away because the weapon bloom is so extreme if you arn't walking.

the swat AI can also be really stupid at times, where they will breach into a room, get shot at and not react at all until they're all dead, but then other times they're super on point and will shoot everyone the moment a gun is even waved in their direction. it also doesn't handle orders very well, often times i would have to issue and reissue the same command before the team would actually do it.
And let's not forget Noah Antwiler's running gag of ordering his men to "bang and clear" a room, only for the AI to toss the flashbang at the doorframe, blinding the whole squad.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 29, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Marshal Radisic posted:

Doesn't Rainbow Six Siege work something like this? Granted, the other people on your team are human players and everyone has their own special gadgets and abilities, but it seems to be in the ballpark.

And let's not forget Noah Antwiler's running gag of ordering his men to "bang and clear" a room, only for the AI to toss the flashbang at the doorframe, blinding the other team.

rainbow six siege isn't really comparable to swat 4. siege is a competitive shooter, and you arn't really breaching and clearing rooms in it like you would swat. the single player content of the game is also just tacked on "shoot all terrorists" missions in the multiplayer maps.

at some point i realized that having the AI throw grenades into a room was a bad idea when i had one throw a sting grenade that bounced off the door openers head and landed right next to me.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 29, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SWAT 4 also had the best multiplayer of any FPS due to all the wacky hijinks you could get up to. Even the radio callouts when you peppersprayed teammates in view of the other team. "Suspects are possibly high or deranged..."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Marshal Radisic posted:

And let's not forget Noah Antwiler's running gag of ordering his men to "bang and clear" a room, only for the AI to toss the flashbang at the doorframe, blinding the other team.

"You're in my way, sir."
"Boss, you're in my spot."
"I need you to move."

*throws flashbang two inches, explodes in team's face*

"AH! YOU FOOL!"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 29, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I dunno which game was the first to implement "soft" collisions with your teammates (TF2 was the first game I remember seeing it in, but I'd be surprised if it was the first) but whoever thought it up deserves some kind of reward. Not like a Nobel Prize or anything, but you know, something nice. Maybe a night out at a decent restaurant or something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You haven't experienced SWAT4 properly until you've played it with other people and spent the entire game tasering and beanbag shotgunning each other.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemon-Lime posted:

You haven't experienced SWAT4 properly until you've played it with other people and spent the entire game tasering and beanbag shotgunning each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33Z0RPWuHs

Basically like this but with every shot hitting a teammate.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I sort of want to play quake again this weekend but am unsure as to the state of source ports. Want to play it classic but with better controls and to fit my screen and also see it prettied up a bit. What's the best way of getting the soundtrack running too?

Side note: have a dumb superstition though that bad poo poo happens to me whenever I play old id games. Puts me off playing them so often. How retarded am I.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Try
http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html and also cf. the readmes/docs that come with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I set Quakespasm up earlier this month and it really was as simple as copying the Q1 levels to the Quakespasm folder, and the soundtrack to the Q1 folder in there.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Quake's controls were never particularly improved, but that's fine, because it supported WASD+mouse natively (provided you mapped it accordingly and added +mlook to your autoexec.cfg; I think source ports might alleviate the latter step, at least).

For which one to use, generally speaking: Quakespasm. Though if you really need that "pretty", Darkplaces is better for that; that said, most custom maps these days are developed against Quakespasm, and Darkplaces doesn't handle them quite right - the number of BSP leaves being too high (causing rendering to stop prematurely, leaving visible holes in distant level geometry), custom entities don't behave correctly (one of the Map Jams had a gib-spawner whose gibs weren't being thrown out of the spawner as they should be when using Darkplaces, but rather staying in place, spawning ad infinitum but never despawning, causing major framerate drops), that sort of thing. Works fine for the stock maps, though.

As for soundtrack: rip it yourself if you've got it (if you have the physical release, this is a no-brainer; if you have the GOG release, the DOSBox version mounts an ISO with the music that you can dump it from, though you may need a fixed cuesheet from their forums for the tracks to start/stop correctly). Else, it's not too hard to :filez:, I'm pretty sure the Steam forums always has a set readily available (including for the expansions, which have their own separate soundtracks). Either way, rename the files according to this webpage for Quakespasm or this webpage for Darkplaces (I think there's a difference), and they should play A-OK. (Alternatively, slap any old music CD with at least 11 tracks on it, and see how well/poorly it fits Quake's theme :dance:)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone ported the Quake 2 renderer and got it to run (or at least let you walk through maps) on an Atari Falcon030. Here it is running a Half-Life map.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WpwlZgQPCpk

They rewrote all the internals to use integer math to take advantage of the onboard Motorola 56000 co-processor, letting it render at about 10fps. The whole vertex pipeline is running on the DSP, freeing up the main CPU for gameplay.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 29, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Huh, that's really impressive.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog posted:

rename the files according to this webpage for Quakespasm or this webpage for Darkplaces (I think there's a difference)

FYI the "Quakespasm convention" there is supported by any Quake engine that plays soundtrack files, including Darkplaces. So you can put your files in that "music" folder with that naming convention and then never have to worry about them again, even if you switch around and try different engines.

Some engines (like Darkplaces) do additionally support other placement/naming conventions, but at this point I don't know of any reason to use those other conventions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The same guy also did a Doom port a few years back that had a bunch of ZDoom-esque cosmetic stuff going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEd3aGI1Fk

EDIT: This awesome mod continues to grow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcubbYO0wLQ

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 29, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Apparently there's a bug in quake where you can lose your runes if you save, load, then die and restart. It was somehow never fixed. At least it's only E1 I have to redo...

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
No need to re-do (unless you wanna). The rune only affects whether the final end ramp opens, and you can just noclip into that.

Also if you REALLY just want to have the rune you can use "impulse 11" to get it (cf. http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Rune ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I laughed too hard at this.

Humiliation!