Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Razakai posted:

Anyone given Dawncaster a go? Been playing a bit the last couple days. Very heavily influenced by Night of the Full Moon and seems a bit lacking in replayable content (always the same 6 bosses) but had some pretty good class design. Although much like NFM, by endgame you're ludicrously powered enough that you can dump your entire deck every turn and kill anything that's not the final boss in one round.

I've been poking at this quite a bit the past week or so, and I like it but the class balance seems wildly off, with the mage archetype being massively stronger than the other ones due to scaling way better and having easy access to cleanses, shields and heals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Not sure when it happened exactly but the expanded Backpack Hero demo is finally on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1970580/Backpack_Hero/

At first glance it seems to have more content than the old itch.io demo, I've seen some new weapons for one, and I am pretty sure the max backpack size is larger than in the itch.io version

Last time I checked was May 15th and it wasn't on Steam yet at that point, so if you played prior to that on itch.io you should check this version out!

this is cool. ui is cruddy but definitely going on my wishlist.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Got Summoners Fate in the steam sale. Its another card game roguelite thing but its pretty different from the STS inspired stuff. Plays on a grid. You guide a summoner, and cards come in three types, units, spells, and equipment. Units stay on the board, and independent of your card economy, always get their own move and attack each turn, and that includes the summoner.

Cards stay discarded for the rest of the run when you use them until you find a campsite. And once a battle is over, the units you summon don't stick around. There are two exceptions to this, loyal units do stick around but once they die they get discarded like everything else and just end up as normal summon card when you find a camp. Guardian units stick around and once they die, if you find a camp they hop back into your party.

So not really a deck builder despite it being card based. And you have to balance both health attrition and card pool attrition.
Another big thing is elite battles are against other summoners, so they can do pretty much the same stuff you do.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I dunno how much legs it has. Also its in early access so...
Has a pretty sizable demo.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 28, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Osmosisch posted:

I've been poking at this quite a bit the past week or so, and I like it but the class balance seems wildly off, with the mage archetype being massively stronger than the other ones due to scaling way better and having easy access to cleanses, shields and heals.

So far I've only done mage and rogue. Lightning mage is very easy yeah, the 0 cost fill your hand with random lightning spells is nuts, as you can just easily dump your hand and chain together a ton of damage and freeze.
Rogue is surprisingly good though. Poison can deal a massive amount of damage, and Charm is better than it sounds.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Arzaac posted:

It's partially your fault, but also whenever Tactical nexus comes up all 20 of us who have played the game swarm the thread like locusts. :v:

it took me 3 runs to figure out "you can go down the steps to go back to previous floors, including the clear space halfway through the first tutorial dungeon, to kill more guys, get more stuff, and update your score", and now i think im having fun

i dont suppose you have any getting started tips? i assume there isn't actually a thread for this game

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Colin Mockery posted:

it took me 3 runs to figure out "you can go down the steps to go back to previous floors, including the clear space halfway through the first tutorial dungeon, to kill more guys, get more stuff, and update your score", and now i think im having fun

i dont suppose you have any getting started tips? i assume there isn't actually a thread for this game

Actually there is! although it's pretty dead with the long delay since the last DLC. There's also a discord with a bunch of information linked in the thread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Razakai posted:

So far I've only done mage and rogue. Lightning mage is very easy yeah, the 0 cost fill your hand with random lightning spells is nuts, as you can just easily dump your hand and chain together a ton of damage and freeze.
Rogue is surprisingly good though. Poison can deal a massive amount of damage, and Charm is better than it sounds.

I played the scion and hunter, chain/lightning with Priest was op as hell and was pleased with the bleed based buffs and all the ways to apply stacks of bleed as the hunter using the flanking ability on the starting weapons. I mixed in the I guess bard-ish type performance cards to get 5-6 'performance' stacks at a time to dish out massive damage or charm along with the bleed to end battles quickly. I've actually been pretty pleased with the variety of builds you can slot into depending on what you unlock along the way..

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 29, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Roguelikes are art!

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/199863

Congrats nethack!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

parthenocarpy posted:

in what way is tactical nexus even remotely a roguelike

Tactical Nexus is dripping with the old roguelike feel even if it definitely isn't one. Example:

nrook posted:

Development on new DLC for Tactical Nexus is currently stalled, as the devteam is working on migrating their chosen language, a freeware BASIC derivative used to teach programming to Japanese children in the mid-90s and without support for modern niceties such as local variables, to 64 bits. This is actually true.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
holy hell Witch's Maze 4 in vivid knight is hard

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I won't keep harping on about Tactical Nexus but just for the people who got me into the game I have to post this:

Silver Medal on Tactical Tower K while using 0 badges or medals. The amount of time I've put into this one level to get that achievement (which isn't an official achievement) is loving insane. All the little ways to save a bit of life here and there plus timing out the experience modifiers so you balance out taking them early enough to get to level 39 while delaying them enough to not take too much damage taking them. Had only 1 enemy left on the level when I dinged 39. Just crazy. No Zachtonic game or Factorio-like or any other game has made me obsess so much about efficiency/optimization. It's like speed running without the twitch execution layer.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

explosivo posted:

I played the scion and hunter, chain/lightning with Priest was op as hell and was pleased with the bleed based buffs and all the ways to apply stacks of bleed as the hunter using the flanking ability on the starting weapons. I mixed in the I guess bard-ish type performance cards to get 5-6 'performance' stacks at a time to dish out massive damage or charm along with the bleed to end battles quickly. I've actually been pretty pleased with the variety of builds you can slot into depending on what you unlock along the way..

Been playing a bit more, particularly arcanist/rogue, but a bit of warrior/hunter too.

- Arcanist is incredibly powerful. It's a shame that every build relies on chain, and stuff like firecasting is way too weak and clunky. Chain has draw (Electrosurge/Conduit/Call the Storm), defense (Mage Armor/Coil) and deals ludicrous damage. I tried a 'freeze' deck but it turned out that lightning chain is still optimal, I just had the basic freeze enchantments of 'draw a card on freeze', 'reduce energy cost on freeze', and 'inflict 1 freeze each turn', then the rest of the deck was chain damage/freeze cards. The final boss got exactly one turn, during which it had multiple stacks of jinx on it, then it died. Probably could have killed it in one turn with better draw luck.
- Rogue isn't quite as insane but has the great combo of the 'deal 3 poison on hit' and 'basic attacks deal bonus damage equal to poison'. Just grab those two and all the draw/energy you can, some bits to give you free attacks like the various things that add arrows to your hand, and you're good. If you use a Rapier for Charm it gets even better, as you can add in the 'inflict charm equal to poison' enchantment and the performance support stuff.
- Hunter has access to that poison combo, and also has double hits on their basic attacks, which can become quadruple hits with Twinstrike or even more with Unleash Armaments. Bleed is very easy to add in. I had some success with Deep Wound as well - it really relies on the talent that gives you draw/energy from inflicting deep wound, then packing your deck with as many wound cards as possible. You'll probably kill stuff before you hit 5 stacks, but you get a ton of resources anyway.
- Warrior has the curious niche of it actually being worthwhile to upgrade their basic attacks. As they deal Fragile equal to their damage dealt, you basically want to just get as many sources of basic attacks as you can, and have the rest of your deck being draw/energy. Every hit stacks and reapplies fragile, quickly skyrocketing your damage. Towards the end of the game a single basic attack + unleash armaments would instantly kill almost anything.

Pretty much every strategy in this game revolves around 'find a way to draw+play your entire deck and stack stuff to kill things in one turn'. Kinda one dimensional but at least there's a lot of ways to get there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had an extremely unsuccessful Rogue game last night (In the game Dawncaster), seems like the whole 'reset ambush' thing is important because all of the basic attacks only do 2 damage without the crit. I could get stacks and stacks of poison but it only does 1 damage to them when they play something no matter how many stacks there are so I couldn't kill things fast enough. I am enjoying the game but like you said strategies do seem to boil down to draw+playing everything you have at once since unused energy carries between rounds. Arcanist just seems head and shoulders better than every other class I've tried so far with the whole lighting/chain mechanic combined with all of their cards that let you easily generate energy and fill your hand with insanely powerful cards.

Edit: poo poo sorry, edited for clarification. I am literally in the Roguelike thread, lol.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 30, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Took me a while to realize you weren't talking about the game Rogue. Was very confused as to what 'reset ambush' could mean in the context of Rogue. I thought maybe it was some weird RNG manipulation technique I'd never heard of.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

explosivo posted:

I had an extremely unsuccessful Rogue game last night (In the game Dawncaster), seems like the whole 'reset ambush' thing is important because all of the basic attacks only do 2 damage without the crit. I could get stacks and stacks of poison but it only does 1 damage to them when they play something no matter how many stacks there are so I couldn't kill things fast enough. I am enjoying the game but like you said strategies do seem to boil down to draw+playing everything you have at once since unused energy carries between rounds. Arcanist just seems head and shoulders better than every other class I've tried so far with the whole lighting/chain mechanic combined with all of their cards that let you easily generate energy and fill your hand with insanely powerful cards.

Edit: poo poo sorry, edited for clarification. I am literally in the Roguelike thread, lol.

Poison rogue needs Poison Coating(?), the 3 poison on hit enchantment. Nothing else is going to be able to stack poison as fast for free, but it's not super uncommon. Then you need at least one of the below, if not more:

- Venomancing. The best and easiest, being an uncommon enchantment that adds poison damage to basic attacks. Dexterity Surge, Twinstrike and Hidden Weapon are all common/uncommon (or guaranteed to be in your deck) cards that generate or trigger basic attacks for it. Twinstrike with Hatchet is especially good as it hits 4x if you're flanking.
- Cull the Weak. As it's a rare card, you probably won't see many of them, but it's a solid no-frills option as it procs bleed+poison damage. Very strong if you're also doing bleed, but typically that's more of a hunter thing.
- Plagued Strike and some way to reset ambush. The weakest option, but Plague Strike is common so you can find them easily, and it can carry you early on. Lookout is probably the best card for this as it's a free cantrip, Guerilla Tactics can be ok with the right deck, but your best option by far is Shadowdancer, a rare talent (so typically you'll only find it lategame) that makes ambush permanent. In general Shadowdancer is insane as a lot of cards with ambush requirements become way way better when you don't have to juggle sneak attack/lookout. Also another reason that Prodigy is a good talent early on if nothing great jumps out, as 4 rerolls means finding the good talents is way better.
- Special mention to Avatar of Blight, which gives energy on poison. If you have this and some decent draw you're now Arcanist tier as you can just repeatedly draw your entire deck until something dies.

Some general non-poison tips:
- Early on you can get away with just having general goodstuff cards. I got carried in my last game for the early part by Garrote and Carnage, as even your terrible basic attacks deal acceptable damage when you're adding +4 bleed to everything. Card removals are generous enough that you can drop them later easily.
- Evasion/Multishot is good for everything. In particular Cloak and Dagger is great with it, as it gives you free evasion+arrow every turn. And later if you can get the evade+create 2 arrows card on ambush with Shadowdancer you're set. CnD is also good with venomancing later as 2 daggers = tons of damage.
- Weapon Training is a very good talent, as it makes your weapon power active every fight. Stun even works on the final boss, and a steady stream of healing items keeps you topped off nicely.
- You can get a useful free card after the bandit encounter by picking 'address the bandits' and 'you work for me'.
- Make sure to spare the necromancer, and have 100 gold reserved every subsequent act for imbue. Imbuing your key enchantments is vital for having decks run.
- One alternate build that might be easier is going for ranged rogue. Grab everything that creates an arrow (especially multishot) or gives evasion, grab the enchantments/talents that boost ranged damage, and just spam out a billion arrows. By law of averages enough of them will be blunt arrows to lockdown anything.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Big Biaby

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the people!! they want big bia!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this took a lot of tries

apparently it goes up to Witch's Maze 9, which, lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What the heck, I still haven't beat 2 (though I been focusing on the other character lately)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
at 4 the number of dungeon floors are reduced by 1 but you still have to beat the same bosses, so you have less time to scale. imo it makes maze 4 a lot harder than the previous mazes.

there's an achievement for beating witch's maze 5, but not for anything past that. so going all the way up to 9 is probably bonkers stuff ala slay the spire's "even very good players only win a minority of the time" acension 20 and I will probably just do 5 once for the cheevo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've been checking out The Last Spell since getting it in the sale and it seems kinda overtuned in difficulty? I'm on attempt #5 of the first level, but the last night just hits like a truck and I can't overcome the hordes fast enough, especially since I didn't see a decent upgraded weapon for a while so it was hard maintaining a 1:1 kill:action ratio. The fact that I'm surrounded and my dudes can't support each other really sucks! The level ups also seem kinda iffy, where it's like, do 3% more propagation damage, which applies to like, one of my skills, or do 5% more minimum damage, or something. A lot of it is very underwhelming.

Runs also take a long rear end time too, so getting to that last night just seems like a drag, only to find out that I probably need more metaprogression or something? Am I playing this wrong somehow? I'm spamming my abilities pretty often when it's opportune to do so, but even then I just can't seem to kill things fast enough on that last night.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been checking out The Last Spell since getting it in the sale and it seems kinda overtuned in difficulty? I'm on attempt #5 of the first level, but the last night just hits like a truck and I can't overcome the hordes fast enough, especially since I didn't see a decent upgraded weapon for a while so it was hard maintaining a 1:1 kill:action ratio. The fact that I'm surrounded and my dudes can't support each other really sucks! The level ups also seem kinda iffy, where it's like, do 3% more propagation damage, which applies to like, one of my skills, or do 5% more minimum damage, or something. A lot of it is very underwhelming.

Runs also take a long rear end time too, so getting to that last night just seems like a drag, only to find out that I probably need more metaprogression or something? Am I playing this wrong somehow? I'm spamming my abilities pretty often when it's opportune to do so, but even then I just can't seem to kill things fast enough on that last night.

I am going to be unhelpful here and say that I beat the first level on my first try, although it was tight as hell. I'm pretty sure the game isn't relying on you having a lot more metaprogression.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

GrandpaPants posted:

The metaprogression bonuses are kinda minor, with the exception of the one that gives you +1 action point. Also, if you haven't realized it yet, you can have two diferent loadouts equipped and switching between them is completely free, so you want to have weapons that complement each other. Stack perks and equipment that gives you bonus propagation bounces. Weapons and shields in your secondary slot still give you their bonuses.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Oh, and also don't be afraid of using consumables, they get refilled every night. Give mana potions to your guys so they can squeeze out one more strong skill.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nexus looks interesting but pricing strategy is so bad

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GrandpaPants posted:

This has been my experience as well. The last night has bosses, unique mobs, tougher enemies, and twice as many enemies as the previous night all at the same time. It is ridiculous.

Supposedly getting the catapult defenses from meta progression helps, but I haven’t even unlocked the option to unlock them yet.

Does anyone know if getting the extra mage from meta progression just move the last night forward, so you have less time to level and prep, or is it actually helpful?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
The extra mage just adds extra max hp to your central building, nothing else.

I made a nr of posts with tips for the last spell:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&userid=186820&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post523472492
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&userid=186820&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 1, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Razakai posted:

Poison rogue needs Poison Coating(?), the 3 poison on hit enchantment. Nothing else is going to be able to stack poison as fast for free, but it's not super uncommon. Then you need at least one of the below, if not more:

Thanks for the writeup, this is all really good info. I'm still having the damndest time with the Rogue because I'm taking a good bit of damage in the first area and have been dying to the first or second boss before I can really get any of the real damage dealing poison stuff out there. That upgrade that increases damage based on poison stacks is definitely the way to fix this because I need a way to burn down health quickly while the poison also does its thing but it all requires some luck of the draw since not getting one or two of those crucial cards can mean early death.

Meanwhile I started a new game as an arcanist and absolutely blew through the first 3 chapters without having to think or strategize much at all.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

grate deceiver posted:

Oh, and also don't be afraid of using consumables, they get refilled every night. Give mana potions to your guys so they can squeeze out one more strong skill.

Lol, gently caress, I had no idea

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Streets of Rogue roguelikey enough for this thread? Just looking for any general tips really - I can get to the industrial stage consistently but seem to always end up dead on industrial 2 or 3, no matter who I play (usually assassin or soldier).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IronicDongz posted:

this took a lot of tries

apparently it goes up to Witch's Maze 9, which, lol
well, you certainly figured out the breaking strategy (it's Shield. Shield is stupid.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Streets of Rogue roguelikey enough for this thread? Just looking for any general tips really - I can get to the industrial stage consistently but seem to always end up dead on industrial 2 or 3, no matter who I play (usually assassin or soldier).

In each stage that isn't under time pressure (i.e. ooze or a zombie apocalypse or something), take a second to sell off any items you don't need before moving on. This can include common weapons you don't plan to use (police batons if you have other melee options, for instance), as those are mashed together and obliterated when copies are picked up anyway. You may as well get a few bucks from them before moving on.

Once you have a lot of money saved up, consider going to one of the trait removal/upgrade machines. Yes, they tend to be expensive as hell, but they can be absolutely worth it - some of the starting and level-up traits become radically better when enhanced.

Don't waste food healing if you're about to leave the area and are close to a level; if you've kept up with your class quest, the big chunk of bonus xp will level you up, which is a free full heal.

If you anticipate or are having difficulty in a stage, bribe the cops. This makes things a lot easier and reduces the odds of everything going wrong all at once. Note that this won't work on supercops, who you haven't met yet; those assholes answer solely to the ultra-rich, which you aren't.

If you're gonna fight someone, have a plan for how you're going to kill them really fast. If you can't kill them really fast (or end up in a fight with no prior plan) and see an opportunity to safely retreat, do that. Then come back, plan, and kill them really fast.

Don't worry about electability. Winning a fair election is honestly the hardest way to complete the game, hands down. If you can burgle a place without losing health or resources, burgle the poo poo out of it. Steal everything, sell anything you don't need. Just crime rampantly and then murder your opponent on election night. That's democracy, baby!

e: oh, and keep your rocks and banana peels. Not only can they cause distractions, they can also be used to safely trigger tripwires and the like. Plus banana peels are a hilarious way to escape from pursuers.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 1, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the writeup, this is all really good info. I'm still having the damndest time with the Rogue because I'm taking a good bit of damage in the first area and have been dying to the first or second boss before I can really get any of the real damage dealing poison stuff out there. That upgrade that increases damage based on poison stacks is definitely the way to fix this because I need a way to burn down health quickly while the poison also does its thing but it all requires some luck of the draw since not getting one or two of those crucial cards can mean early death.

Meanwhile I started a new game as an arcanist and absolutely blew through the first 3 chapters without having to think or strategize much at all.

It's pretty cheesy, but if you exit the game in the merchant screen, on reload it'll be right before you speak to the merchant, complete with a new set of cards in the shop, allowing you to reroll indefinitely. Likewise with level up, you'll have to redo the fight again but let's you reroll talents. Basically cheating though and can suck the fun out of the game so use with caution.
If you're struggling to get poison off the ground, I'd recommend grabbing good early attacks like Dirty Fighting, Garrote, Tactical Retreat and Waylay to tide you over until you're up and running. Make sure to use your weapon ability constantly, as the healing/regen/leech potions can keep you topped off.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Nexus looks interesting but pricing strategy is so bad

In positive news, unless you want Tactical Nexus to become your entire life, you can just buy the base game and maybe the first DLC and you'll still be set for a very long time. And if it becomes your entire life, why would you need money anymore anyways?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well, you certainly figured out the breaking strategy (it's Shield. Shield is stupid.)
it's more like shield is borderline mandatory with how things get later. early on playing the game you'll get that tutorial text popup that tells you "hey this icon above an enemy means it's going to use a big move, use a blocking gem". and if you don't do that it smashes you

then later on, especially on the higher difficulties, bosses will use those moves multiple times in a row, so unless a). it's a physical move and you're stacking freeze, or b). you know what units it will hit and they have illusion, you need multiple shields or you just get chunked.

you do still want stuff other than shields for the turns when there's not an incoming big move, or you can lose out on a lot of damage or whatever. but it would definitely make more sense if the game had like... 3 slots dedicated to attack gems, 3 to shield gems, and 3 for healing/utility gems. having 8 totally free slots is weird when you basically need to dedicate 3-4 of them to not dying immediately vs golden dragon or whatever.

also I beat maze 5 :toot:

look at the size of this absolute unit

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 1, 2022

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I'd say the one big metaprogression element working against the player on their first Gildenburg run is not starting with houses and gold mines. Spending the first few days booming means going into the final battle completely equipped with level 4-5 gear along with stripping the shop of everything interesting, while a player on their first run has had their economy stunted. The other big one is ballista, which are very strong on Gildenburg even if they're less powerful (but still much more useful than walls) on later maps.

GrandpaPants posted:

With the basic 85% propagation, the ability is losing 15% of its damage each bounce. So a 9-bounce spell like lightning it starts out doing 100 damage but at the end is only doing 23. Working out the geometric series, an increase in propagation damage from 85% to 88% means a 100 damage 9-bounce spell goes from 535 damage to 601 damage, which isn't terrible for a single level-up stat bonus (admittedly still situational and meh for a rare upgrade though, especially given that tome-wielders also have to solve the more pressing "not run out of mana" issue)

Level-up bonuses add up and different ones then multiply together, so if a unit has acquired +50% physical damage and +50% damage (not unusual with perks) and is wielding a weapon with twice the base damage, that's 4.5x damage overall, which is before considering optimization around the weapon itself (e.g. a hand crossbow user will have further multiplied their damage by obtaining additional multi-hit from items, levelups, or the initiator perk). It's not unusual for an endgame momentum unit (e.g. swords and magic scepters) not only to be able to move across half the map but to one-shot a boss after doing so as that movement built up a 300%+ momentum bonus

Tips for a player trying to beat Gildenburg would be :
- If you can get a source of +multistrike and a hand crossbow that's one side solved
- One-handed swords are a simple build that just requires physical damage, damage, movement, and momentum to succeed. Ideally some form of defense as well but if not just kill everything or use the movement to walk away
- Unless you have magic scepters unlocked the mage will probably be the weakest side, but two magic missiles (8+ hits) with a decent wand will still probably kill a harpy if they have to do it (and if not good thing the sword-wielder has all that movement)
- In the final battle you only need to kill the harpies to win, and the faster you kill each one the less you'll have to survive
- Spend the first day building/upgrading houses (and using the workers to scavenge for more gold) then on the next days build three gold mines with at least Production+ and Mine+ for a steady 225 gold/turn. Upgrading one of these with Production++ and Production+++ will add another 145/turn.
- Check the shop every day for +multihit and +AP gear
- Walls are generally overpriced compared to barricades, and are a waste of materials if you're able to unlock ballista (ballista keep anything from reaching the barricades and barricades protect the ballista from archer potshots and the 1-2 enemies per night that do make it through)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks for all the advice on Last Spell. I finished Gildenburg on attempt #5, although that was just with copious amounts of ballista spamming (I got ballistas in the middle of run #4, so couldn't build them from the get go like I could with run #5, and boy did I). The metaprogression does kinda bother me, though, since I don't know if the "normal" difficulty of Gildenburg is "can build ballistas" or if I did the equivalent of grinding levels to beat Gildenburg. I see it with Lakeburg too, now that I have the Inn available, it kinda seems like I'm "expected" to need to use it to actually beat Lakeburg?

I know that there are people out there who can beat the levels without any of the metaprogression so people can say that they're not "necessary," but I'm sure some people can also beat platformers blindfolded. I find the difficulty of The Last Spell very weird, in that you're being forced to calibrate the difficulty to where you like it, instead of like, just giving me the options that you expect that I'll need to actually beat the game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
These kinds of metaprogression games have generally turned from frustrating to enjoyable for me once I started to just Cheat Engine the metaprogression.

Synthetik is one of my favorite roguelites ever but I found it to be very frustrating until I unlocked all the class powers because up until that point the game is just wasting your loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Dawncaster is pretty annoying for metaprogression too. A full run with the daily 2x xp bonus and a quest or 2 can get you 3-4 levels in one go - but with 25 levels and 6 classes that's still a ton of runs to max anything out.
The power bonuses granted aren't huge, but it feels restrictive to gate potentially interesting builds behind it, as by the time you actually unlock the stuff you'll probably be sick of it.