Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The first episode of MVA should be the usual recap filler that reintroduces everyone but this time instead of reminding us that Sugar Man exists for the hundreth time, it goes over the Legion of Doom's Quirks and Villain Names.

I’m pretty sure MVA will still be part of Season 5 but this sounds fun regardless.

Also MVA should have one or more of the League of Villains doing the usual opening speech and preview narration along with a brand new OP and ED solely devoted to them (maybe even a new title card as well if they want)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The first episode of MVA should be the usual recap filler that reintroduces everyone but this time instead of reminding us that Sugar Man exists for the hundreth time, it goes over the Legion of Doom's Quirks and Villain Names.

It has a section they can do that in when the League slaughters the japanese KKK.

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure MVA will still be part of Season 5 but this sounds fun regardless.

Also MVA should have one or more of the League of Villains doing the usual opening speech and preview narration along with a brand new OP and ED solely devoted to them (maybe even a new title card as well if they want)

I love this idea. Instead of Deku narrating the intro it's Shigaraki and he starts slurring it more and more as he gets more exhausted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also “Plus Ultra” should be changed to “Plus Chaos” at the end of every preview

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda hope they don't softshoe the violence in MVA because the intense ratcheting up in violence/death is part of what makes the arc work since it's kind of a shock.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I kinda hope they don't softshoe the violence in MVA because the intense ratcheting up in violence/death is part of what makes the arc work since it's kind of a shock.

Toga just cratering that one lady was just such a brutal display of what Ochako could do if she wasn’t playing nice all the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

When Shigaraki annihilates his family in the anime, they explode into confetti.

The dog is cut out. animated by David Production Inc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Toga just cratering that one lady was just such a brutal display of what Ochako could do if she wasn’t playing nice all the time.
There's a lot of just intensely violent scenes that kinda go beyond Deku's self-mutilation (his arm after fighting muscular is pretty gnarly in the manga, where you can kinda see bone/sinew). Toga just getting a protracted beatdown, cratering the blue lady, then crawling into a shed to basically continue the process of dying from her injuries. Shigaraki rakes his hand through a dude's face in a fairly gruesome manner which I really hope they keep in. Shigaraki gets part of his hand torn off on screen. Twice gets his arms broken and watches Skeptics puppets try to break Toga's neck. Redestro cuts his legs off. It's pretty crazy all together.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

#314. The Lovely Lady Nagant
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009385
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-314/chapter/22598?action=read

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm being overly critical probably, but I feel like I've read this story so many times before. It's a superhero subversion that's been used so much, it itself is now boring and cliche.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope that Deku's solution to what is being portrayed as a pretty thoroughly rotten system buoyed by the sacrifice/hard work of genuinely good heroes isn't just "well...I'll uh, help everyone!!"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Startin to feel like that one tweet about MCU villians 'round here.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lady Nagant rules.

I'm hoping both that she ends up joining Deku and that the manga finds time to have an arc about smashing the Public Committee and irreversibly changing the current Hero system, before it ends.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I hope that Deku's solution to what is being portrayed as a pretty thoroughly rotten system buoyed by the sacrifice/hard work of genuinely good heroes isn't just "well...I'll uh, help everyone!!"

"This is the tale of how I became the greatest hero." What would the greatest hero do? Something that made it so there never needed to be any other heroes ever again, like what Hawks wanted.

Overhaul is also back in the mix.

Is Deku gonna dequirk everyone?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Quirks have to at least be pulled back to something weaker, if not removed entirely; they haven't mentioned the quirk singularity in a while, but so long as another Shigeraki can happen then any attempts to right society are doomed, and quirks are only going to get more powerful.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We need a Scarlet Witch, stat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SKULL.GIF posted:

"This is the tale of how I became the greatest hero." What would the greatest hero do? Something that made it so there never needed to be any other heroes ever again, like what Hawks wanted.

Overhaul is also back in the mix.

Is Deku gonna dequirk everyone?

Overhaul's knowledge about the ability to dequirk people was entirely based on carving hunks of flesh out of Eri and healing her after the fact, which strikes me as less than heroic, especially since we're being punched in the face over and over with "maybe the ends don't actually justify the means".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Deku's becomes the world's greatest hero by becoming the world's greatest villain and uniting the rest of hero society against him. And killing him takes away everyone's quirks or something idk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In the end the entire world becomes quirkless thanks to Deku and is turned into the modern society we live in today (also all animal themed people are turned into normal humans as a result and Hagakure finally becomes visible).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 30, 2021

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
:qq:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

christmas boots posted:

Deku's becomes the world's greatest hero by becoming the world's greatest villain and uniting the rest of hero society against him. And killing him takes away everyone's quirks or something idk

What is this, Code Geass?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Whatever the final resolution will be, I really hope de-quirking everyone will not be a part of it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hey, look. Is that Akumetsu?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It's interesting to me that it seems like a large portion of Lady Nagant's work as an assassin was killing other heroes who had stepped out of line and were doing shady/immoral poo poo. There was occasional other stuff like terrorist groups but the primary focus seems to have been keeping the heroes in line. Is this something the Commission still does or have they stopped doing it (perhaps afraid to start it up again)? When Hawks was ordered by the League to kill a hero to prove himself, he went well out of his way to fake Best Jeanist's death so I assume if he had a history of killing shady heroes, he could have just picked one of them and brought them to Dabi in pieces. Plus it seems like if they are still doing that sort of thing, they should have handled Endeavor before now. Yeah, he's got a great solved-cases record and is ranked really highly, but the child abuse stuff was going to come to light sooner or later and at that point his rank just makes it a more devastating blow.

Not that the Commission isn't a bunch of slimy shits either way. Definitely glad Redestro wiped the floor with them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

It's interesting to me that it seems like a large portion of Lady Nagant's work as an assassin was killing other heroes who had stepped out of line and were doing shady/immoral poo poo. There was occasional other stuff like terrorist groups but the primary focus seems to have been keeping the heroes in line. Is this something the Commission still does or have they stopped doing it (perhaps afraid to start it up again)? When Hawks was ordered by the League to kill a hero to prove himself, he went well out of his way to fake Best Jeanist's death so I assume if he had a history of killing shady heroes, he could have just picked one of them and brought them to Dabi in pieces. Plus it seems like if they are still doing that sort of thing, they should have handled Endeavor before now. Yeah, he's got a great solved-cases record and is ranked really highly, but the child abuse stuff was going to come to light sooner or later and at that point his rank just makes it a more devastating blow.

Not that the Commission isn't a bunch of slimy shits either way. Definitely glad Redestro wiped the floor with them.

I mean, everything else aside, Endeavor's a pretty clear "come at the king, you best not miss" issue. He's one of the most dangerous people in the world, and if he decides that the hero commission is trying to kill him, only All Might could reliably stop him. (And All Might getting pissed at the commission too would be... apocalyptic.) Losing a valuable asset over a scandal that's (relatively) easily covered up is a bad enough deal to begin with.

Having Endeavor kill your assassin and then come after you?

Not a winning scenario.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Instead of using good natured children and fashioning them into state sponsored assassins maybe pick people who have no moral qualms about assassinating people for you

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Eej posted:

Instead of using good natured children and fashioning them into state sponsored assassins maybe pick people who have no moral qualms about assassinating people for you

but that's evil

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eej posted:

But then you run the risk of them getting a better offer and turning on you.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, everything else aside, Endeavor's a pretty clear "come at the king, you best not miss" issue. He's one of the most dangerous people in the world, and if he decides that the hero commission is trying to kill him, only All Might could reliably stop him. (And All Might getting pissed at the commission too would be... apocalyptic.) Losing a valuable asset over a scandal that's (relatively) easily covered up is a bad enough deal to begin with.

Having Endeavor kill your assassin and then come after you?

Not a winning scenario.

That is a good point, although I think someone like Lady Nagant could probably dome him from long range. But if you gently caress that up, you're in some real trouble. And I'm going to guess Nagant was in jail by the time Endeavor's abuse started.

Eej posted:

But brainwashing child soldiers is so much easier.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's one government Hero Assassin who's Quirk just lets him wear any disguise and people will accept him as that disguise.

Also it lets him throw fire hydrants with pinpoint accuracy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

The goal of using children is to make people without such moral qualms, I believe.

The Commission just isn't very good at it, it turns out.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

CuwiKhons posted:

That is a good point, although I think someone like Lady Nagant could probably dome him from long range. But if you gently caress that up, you're in some real trouble. And I'm going to guess Nagant was in jail by the time Endeavor's abuse started.

The commission likely doesn't want a high-profile hero like Endeavour murdered in public. Sniping him through a window when he's at home could probably be covered up, but it's still risky. Like was brought up earlier, the scandal could probably be brushed over if it came to light. The commission didn't know Dabi was alive or would reveal Endeavour's abuse in such a dramatic manner (and have a number of murders indirectly linked to said abuse). Having Endeavour killed would always be a high-risk play, and the commission seems like it would be pretty risk-averse institution.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Also frankly half the commission probably has poo poo like that or worse in their closets, and the nature of these sort of institutions is to protect their own and brush under smaller/ "less consequental" abuses like that and only protect the institution and its power

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel like you don’t become one of the top two superheroes around if a bullet would work on you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flesnolk posted:

I feel like you don’t become one of the top two superheroes around if a bullet would work on you.
This was probably less of a primary concern for Horikoshi and at a certain point this all just turns on future successes of continued gun control policy in a fictional Japan full of mutants. However, it seems plausible that Endeavor could have some kind of technique to protect himself against small arms fire, probably like melting it or something.

I have no problem believing that All Might was immune to bullets, at least when he was at full strength.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s also hard to fathom what kind of scenario would make it so that the pros of assassinating the Symbol of Peace outweighed the cons

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, there's not really anyone else who is as powerful as Endeavor that could fill his role if he dropped dead.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, there's not really anyone else who is as powerful as Endeavor that could fill his role if he dropped dead.

Now why ya gotta disrespect the Cruller like that

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I could see Endeavor being down with what the Public Safety Commission does, but having zero respect for it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like that is very contrary to what happened with Ending, when he said in no uncertain terms "Heroes don't kill in even the worst circumstances, like you threatening to kill me son to name a random example."

Enji Todoroki is a shitbag human being, but Endeavor is a near perfect hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I strongly doubt the "front-facing" heroes are aware of the grimier shadow ops like state-sanctioned murder, because it's likely that most of them would be principled enough to spill the beans while simultaneously being too public and famous to quietly silence, especially if multiple of them decided to come forward.