Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

They already have normal ways to make money. If you're doing serious design work, you pay them hundreds-to-thousands each for a book of color swatches that (when viewed under appropriately calibrated lighting conditions) accurately represent their standard colors and what you'll get when you ask a manufacturer on the other side of the world to print that color. Knock-offs are only acceptable if you're willing to accept the risk of the colors being wrong. The books also expire after a year or two because the inks fade, so you have to replace them.

I don't think they actually have any legally enforceable rights to a Pantone label => RGB color mapping. There's no patent or copyright there. There is maybe trademark if you want to argue that using the names is implying that Pantone is endorsing a particular approximation.

The color that will display on a monitor or non-Pantone calibrated printer is just an approximation anyway. It will depend on the monitor's color calibration and ambient light, plus lots of those colors aren't in the RGB gamut and are unproducible anyway. Pantone would like money if they can get it, and Adobe would rather piss off their customers than Pantone.
It’s almost certainly a trademark. And their claim to it weakens if companies are allowed to use it haphazardly. Current IP laws force them to defend it or lose it.

The problem with saying that “the color mapping isn’t even accurate” is that people apparently derive enough value from it anyway. The usefulness of the thing is easily sorted out by licensees who have to pay for it.

If there’s a company to blame here it’s Adobe, not Pantone, for designing a system where their customers could get left in the dust from a change in their licensing agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vegetable posted:

It’s almost certainly a trademark. And their claim to it weakens if companies are allowed to use it haphazardly. Current IP laws force them to defend it or lose it.

The problem with saying that “the color mapping isn’t even accurate” is that people apparently derive enough value from it anyway. The usefulness of the thing is easily sorted out by licensees who have to pay for it.

If there’s a company to blame here it’s Adobe, not Pantone, for designing a system where their customers could get left in the dust from a change in their licensing agreement.

Agreed. This is absolutely a consequence of adobe's software as a service model. Otherwise, people would just stick to old versions for however long it took Adobe and Pantone to pull their heads out of their asses.

Adobe, for their part, is deliberately trying to shift all the blame to Pantone by making it sound like they got blindsided. They didn't. That knew drat well what was at risk when they made the cloud shift.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Vegetable posted:

I can’t say I fault Pantone for trying to make money in some way. They clearly invest money to create and maintain their color universe. If people are willing to subscribe to match a hex color to their Pantone color and Pantone has the legal rights to make it a product, why not?

Man, if only they could sell the pigments and inks to the printers so that they could make money that way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Pantone wants to charge you money for even considering to use their product.

The whole point of PMS is to translate what you do in your art to the printer accurately, not to conceptualize what your art might look like.

This is like charging someone to browse a catalog.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jaxyon posted:

I just realized that's kind of the museum business model, isn't it?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Vegetable posted:

I can’t say I fault Pantone for trying to make money in some way. They clearly invest money to create and maintain their color universe. If people are willing to subscribe to match a hex color to their Pantone color and Pantone has the legal rights to make it a product, why not?

Except that Pantone doesn't use the 4 base color CMYK processes, they use a 14 base color process and have numerous colors that can't be reproduced with CMYK. There is a hex color that will probably be close enough until you need to have something printed on vinyl and metal and plastic and cloth and now they all look annoyingly different. Pantone will be the same across all of them.

DocCynical posted:

Man, if only they could sell the pigments and inks to the printers so that they could make money that way.

They do, or at least did in the late 90's. I have some Pantone oil based paints in the bottom of a box somewhere..

:edit:

can't be reproduced, not can be reproduced

karthun fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 29, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just realized that's kind of the museum business model, isn't it?

No it's charging you to see the website of the museums art, before you can even decide to go.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jaxyon posted:

Pantone wants to charge you money for even considering to use their product.

The whole point of PMS is to translate what you do in your art to the printer accurately, not to conceptualize what your art might look like.

Basically.

The Pantone formulas are more or less just a universal agreed upon standard that printers and graphic houses have adopted to ensure consistency and give us all an idea of what's basically nothing more than a target to aim at so that "WalMart Blue" mostly looks the same on TV, a truck, a business card or on a sign. But the fact of the matter is that color varies from machine to machine, looks different in certain lighting and can be thrown off by any combination of lovely software, bad color profiles, improper builds, varying substrates and a million other things.

Next time any of you tries to print a pdf or a jpg, go into the "advanced" settings and take a look at the hundreds of color matching "profiles" you can use, especially in Adobe, but pretty much any other professional printing software. It's insane.

I've had customers wonder why I can't produce a fluorescent orange, green or a metallic foil on a Canon copier.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
How's twitter going

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1586148360838615040

oh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wish I could say this was just because a private company took over this whole thing, but there are so many goddamn "international standards" where you have to pay a lot of money to even look at them, much less use them. Say in the audio, video, and image codec world. But still! At least usually they don't retroactively invalidate your existing work.

:lmao:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

Basically.

But the fact of the matter is that color varies from machine to machine, looks different in certain lighting and can be thrown off by any combination of lovely software, bad color profiles, improper builds, varying substrates and a million other things.

I've been using Apple's TruTone for so long that sometimes I wonder just what the hell my photos look like when other people view them without it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

How's twitter going

oh

It's an incredible encapsulation of upper management brain. Create a big old waste of everyone's time and effort, just so that they can convince themselves that they have any purpose whatsoever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of colors:

https://twitter.com/Ronceraille/status/1586457831707901954

tl;dr: Restoration labs more concerned with branding than accuracy.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the criterion channel should have a green/amber restoration selection button

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I've been using Apple's TruTone for so long that sometimes I wonder just what the hell my photos look like when other people view them without it.

I mean with printed stuff you can at least do a test print. When you're working with digital photo's/video and doing colour stuff, there is just a whole bunch of crap involved. If you don't 100% know what sort of display(s) it's going to be viewed on best advice is just make sure everything is within "safe" ranges and check on a bunch of different screens when you're done if you can.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of colors:

https://twitter.com/Ronceraille/status/1586457831707901954

tl;dr: Restoration labs more concerned with branding than accuracy.

Ritrovata pretty infamously colors all their restorations to look like they were dunked in pee, it's kind of shocking. The Color of Pomegranates is a good (ironic) example, where it originally looked like this:

and then Ritrovata did this to it:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I feel really sorry for the guy who busted his rear end chasing down a few dozen serious bugs that were all each like 3 line fixes but took forever to actually get the root cause. Pretty sure they would be the first one let go under Musk.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I bet if you went to stack overflow and just copy and pasted a couple hundred pages of code snippets, he would make you the new head of development for Twitter. You wouldn't even have to remove the comments. He'd just see a huge stack and assume you are a god.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

I bet if you went to stack overflow and just copy and pasted a couple hundred pages of code snippets, he would make you the new head of development for Twitter. You wouldn't even have to remove the comments. He'd just see a huge stack and assume you are a god.

Isn't this what Steve Ballmer once said in an interview decades back about how IBM execs operated? They didn't care about code efficiency, they just thought more = better/productive?

"K-lines" or something, as in thousands of lines of code. Paging videogame vet

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't this what Steve Ballmer once said in an interview decades back about how IBM execs operated? They didn't care about code efficiency, they just thought more = better/productive?

The guy who checks in all the autogened files is getting a promotion.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mister Facetious posted:

K-locs (loc = line of code).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cicero posted:

K-locs (loc = line of code).

drat it i knew i shouldn't have edited that. I had it right the first time (phonetically, anyway)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

It baffles me that the people responding to that tweet are objecting to this because it's an inefficient way to review code and a terrible metric for judging productivity. Sure, that's true, but the really weird thing is that Musk feels the need to review the code-base at all. Twitter's code is fine! It's like someone buying a restaurant that's known to have a lovely menu, and then day 1 he comes in and says "I want to look at how you wash your dishes." Sure, dishwashing is important and necessary for the restaurant to work, but they've got dishwashers who know what they're doing already, and the new owner clearly has more important things to look at. Policy is the problem, and coders aren't setting policy! If he wants a new feature, he just has to tell someone and it'll happen!

And yeah, you can say "oh, he's just doing this to set up the pretense to fire people". But Musk asked Parag months ago if he could look at the code. He clearly wants to find some technical solution in order to keep his image up. He's desperate to find some "bot tolerance" const that he can tell them to adjust so he can claim that he fixed it. But there are no huge technical problems here, as that Verge article pointed out, only social ones. He utterly fails to understand what's wrong with the company he just bought.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Karia posted:

It baffles me that the people responding to that tweet are objecting to this because it's an inefficient way to review code and a terrible metric for judging productivity. Sure, that's true, but the really weird thing is that Musk feels the need to review the code-base at all. Twitter's code is fine! It's like someone buying a restaurant that's known to have a lovely menu, and then day 1 he comes in and says "I want to look at how you wash your dishes." Sure, dishwashing is important and necessary for the restaurant to work, but they've got dishwashers who know what they're doing already, and the new owner clearly has more important things to look at. Policy is the problem, and coders aren't setting policy! If he wants a new feature, he just has to tell someone and it'll happen!

And yeah, you can say "oh, he's just doing this to set up the pretense to fire people". But Musk asked Parag months ago if he could look at the code. He clearly wants to find some technical solution in order to keep his image up. He's desperate to find some "bot tolerance" const that he can tell them to adjust so he can claim that he fixed it. But there are no huge technical problems here, as that Verge article pointed out, only social ones. He utterly fails to understand what's wrong with the company he just bought.

I'd think he's stupidly looking for some aha gotcha tech reason that he can point to that he was misled and, I don't know, sue someone to recoup some losses? It's really unclear because its such a stupid rear end move.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ritrovata pretty infamously colors all their restorations to look like they were dunked in pee, it's kind of shocking.
Weren't they also the company that had some misconfigured film scanners or something, so all their film scans were full of sensor noise not present in the original film?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1586539695491624960
https://twitter.com/BananaEsq/status/1586557617337401346

Twitter's old execs won't get the termination benefits. Instead they get the chance to sue Musk for hundreds of millions of dollars, and almost certainly win in court.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

golden bubble posted:

Twitter's old execs won't get the termination benefits. Instead they get the chance to sue Musk for hundreds of millions of dollars, and almost certainly win in court.

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer, but they don't seem like they were given 30 days` written notice, and Musk isn't the Board of Directors.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer, but they don't seem like they were given 30 days` written notice, and Musk isn't the Board of Directors.

I mean, didn't Musk announce his intention to buy twitter over a month ago :rimshot:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

I mean, didn't Musk announce his intention to buy twitter over a month ago :rimshot:

He was for buying it before he was against buying it before he was, well, there you go.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm just saying they should've known their number was up when he announced his intent to buy :haw:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm just saying they should've known their number was up when he announced his intent to buy :haw:

They were probably fine when he first had the idea. It was when he changed his mind and they sued to force him to buy it anyway - and succeeded. They worked very hard to make Musk their new boss and piss him off in the process.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol at including the head legal dude at twitter in the "day 1 just cause" crew. i'm sure there's no way that's going to extremely bite you in the rear end

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

golden bubble posted:

Instead they get the chance to sue Musk for hundreds of millions of dollars, and almost certainly win in court.

I feel that I would quite enjoy suing Musk for hundreds of millions of dollars, with victory almost certain.

It must be said that I would enjoy hundreds of millions of dollars upfront even more.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Karia posted:

I'm betting it's purely for the benefit of Musk's own ego. He still likes to pretend he's a real-life Tony Stark who actually has a deep understanding of the actual technologies involved. So now he'll have a parade of developers in and out of his office, each trying their damnedest to give this idiot the vaguest understanding of unrelated code snippets in the span of ten minuts. All so that when he gets a high-level presentation about feature X in the future, he can nod sagely and go "Ah yes, I've seen the code for that", while everybody rolls their eyes and sighs in exasperation.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

idiotsavant posted:

lol at including the head legal dude at twitter in the "day 1 just cause" crew. i'm sure there's no way that's going to extremely bite you in the rear end

Musk is a spiteful prick with a temper. Firing them is expensive and dumb but having them marched out under escort is plainly just to serve his own vindictiveness.

The c-suite now gets to not only cash in on their stock options through the buyout but also most likely gets their golden parachutes after a legal drama along wirh an additional bonus for wrongful termination.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

I'm betting it's purely for the benefit of Musk's own ego. He still likes to pretend he's a real-life Tony Stark who actually has a deep understanding of the actual technologies involved. So now he'll have a parade of developers in and out of his office, each trying their damnedest to give this idiot the vaguest understanding of unrelated code snippets in the span of ten minuts. All so that when he gets a high-level presentation about feature X in the future, he can nod sagely and go "Ah yes, I've seen the code for that", while everybody rolls their eyes and sighs in exasperation.

The dogecoin guy's comments about Elon Musk being completely inept when it comes to code living rent-free in Musk's mind

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Owling Howl posted:

Musk is a spiteful prick with a temper. Firing them is expensive and dumb but having them marched out under escort is plainly just to serve his own vindictiveness.

The c-suite now gets to not only cash in on their stock options through the buyout but also most likely gets their golden parachutes after a legal drama along wirh an additional bonus for wrongful termination.

Elon walking through a backyard full of rakes labelled "Obviously dumb legal fights". I don't think he had to pay any punishment over the Buy Twitter lawsuit, but escorting folks out like criminals seems like the kind of thing that will cost him.

Its also a good point that Twitter doesn't really have code problems. They aren't losing hundreds of millions because their system is unstable or tough to improve. They have business problems.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Engineering productivity is a thing that gets measured at big companies similar to Twitter, but we’re usually talking about specific measurables like time between code deployment and other behavioral data within a coding platform. Even then, the data gets used to improve tools, systems and organization — not to fire people.

There’s almost certainly some performance measurement in place at Twitter. I don’t get why Musk wouldn’t just fire everyone performing below a certain grade in non-essential teams. If you really wanted to crack some skulls that seems like where you’d start.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Twitter engineers have had six+ months of warning that they were about to get a poo poo boss and probably fired. That's means, motive, and opportunity to plant some time-delayed bombs in the code and cover it up so that it will look accidental when it goes off.

And nobody there has the incentive to find, identify, report, or fix corporate sabotage except Musk himself.

If the general attitude is anything other than "gently caress this place, I hope it crashes and burns now", I would be very surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'm sure this is what it is. Looking at code and having opinions about it makes him feel smart, so that's what he decided to do.