Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gen 8 needs Hex Maniac back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pokemon was always oriented at children. The first generation just had kinks it hadn't quite ironed out yet, but ultimately, they were always intended for the same demographic, children.

If anything, Sun and Moon show the opposite, how they're willing to go for the adult fans as well in subtle ways, like the more aggresive or scary Pokedex entries or people literally talking about growing old and dying. Hell, ORAS had a whole optional part talking about how people's lives went to poo poo the moment they lost their jobs.

I feel like all the games have their share of creepy stuff and messed up Pokedex entries. Kids find that stuff super appealing too.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like all the games have their share of creepy stuff and messed up Pokedex entries. Kids find that stuff super appealing too.

Yeah, kids love spooky things. Kid friendly horror, like Disney's haunted mansion or Five nights at Freddy's or those Scary Tales to Tell in the Dark books, has always been super popular.

I loved Lavender town when I was little, so did all my friends, and I was really disappointed when I got a chance to resist it in Gold and Silver and the cool creepy tower was turned into a lame-rear end radio station.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Pokémon has always had a subtle horror element. Unfortunately, the anime, which happens to be the most prominent and most visible representation of the franchise, tends to not include these and makes it seem far more "kiddie". This has the side effect of making fans wanting stuff that's "darker" and you end up with dumb fan games that make things "dark and edgy" but then it warps back around to even more childish then before.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The new pokedex entries for mega evolutions are great and usually horrifying, but the best part is that gamefreak is just matter-of-fact about it all. So you’ll have things like Glalie’s jaw dislocating, or Scizor melting, or Gengar wanting to kill everything including you, but then you get to Slowbro and it’s just

Pokédex posted:

Having been swallowed whole by Shellder, Slowbro now has an iron defense. It’s pretty comfortable in there, too.

:3:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

.TakaM posted:

edit-
if anyone's bored and wants to see a cool double battle:
CP5G-WWWW-WWWN-V7ZT
Both of us made a few dumb moves, but well.. you'll see

Was this in any particular version of the game? I couldn't get it to play in Ultra Sun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zuzie posted:

Pokémon has always had a subtle horror element. Unfortunately, the anime, which happens to be the most prominent and most visible representation of the franchise, tends to not include these and makes it seem far more "kiddie". This has the side effect of making fans wanting stuff that's "darker" and you end up with dumb fan games that make things "dark and edgy" but then it warps back around to even more childish then before.

The anime has plenty of pretty lewd jokes and adult humor in it in the early days (I have no idea if ut still does), but that stuff is locked away in the Haoaneae airings and gets edited or censored out overseas.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

The Bulbapedia beta discussion page is having a slapfight over whether this is real or not because they don't want to have to completely upend their page and redo it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Serebii isn't covering it because he doesn't want takedowns (mentioned in his personal account) and a lot of people who may be Pokemon fans but unaware of beta leaks are begging him to say it's real or fake on the official account and won't accept any other answer.

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1002419381941481472

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 4, 2018

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's not really actual Pokémon News anyway, as its not what the developers are interested in (right now, Pokémon Quest and Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are the news items of the day). So if I were Serebii I wouldn't be covering it on that ground. Its a bit of gaming archaeology.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only watched the Kanto season, but I remember there being a couple of ghost-centric episodes and each was heck of spooky.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've only watched the Kanto season, but I remember there being a couple of ghost-centric episodes and each was heck of spooky.

Ash Ketchum loving dies in Kanto.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CascadeBeta posted:

Ash Ketchum loving dies in Kanto.

3 different times!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Jessie got a Mimikyu and Meowth has gone to hell twice from seeing whats under the costume.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The anime started paying attention to international sensibilities around the time of the orange islands. The whole reason Brock left during that season was because they were worried he was a racial stereotype.

Anything before that was a more Japanese focused cartoon.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
They didn't announce any sort of bundle of Let's Go (either version) and the Pokéball controller, did they? Seems like a no-brainer, like when HG/SS came out with the Pokéwalker included. I wasn't interested in the game, but when I told my non-gamer Go-playing GF about it, she said she'd play the co-op with me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chill Penguin posted:

They didn't announce any sort of bundle of Let's Go (either version) and the Pokéball controller, did they? Seems like a no-brainer, like when HG/SS came out with the Pokéwalker included. I wasn't interested in the game, but when I told my non-gamer Go-playing GF about it, she said she'd play the co-op with me.

They may exist closer to ship time, but
A. the standalone controller costs nearly as much as the game itself
B. the controller works with pokemon go
C. the controller is guaranteed to be instantly out of stock 30 minutes after being released and remain that way until next april at the earliest

so I wouldn't wait for the combo pack if it's something you really want, and I wouldn't expect the combo to be cheaper than the standalones

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dehry posted:

The anime started paying attention to international sensibilities around the time of the orange islands. The whole reason Brock left during that season was because they were worried he was a racial stereotype.

Anything before that was a more Japanese focused cartoon.

I remember my friend's mom saying something like how it was sad that Japanese people drew such beautiful eyes but just drew little lines for their own when she saw Brock lol

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Was this in any particular version of the game? I couldn't get it to play in Ultra Sun.
oh sorry, yeah it's from regular old Moon.
I can't see why there are so many incompatibilities between Ultra and regular...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

.TakaM posted:

I can't see why there are so many incompatibilities between Ultra and regular...

Because gently caress You that's why

I don't get how in tyool 2018 it's apparently literally impossible to backpatch a handful of abilities/moves to make stuff like Own Tempo Rockruff able to be sent to SuMo. It's not even like the ability didn't exist :psyduck:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
They can't even keep replay compatibility between patches of the same game, asking them to backport a bunch of models and animations you'd otherwise never see in an older version is asking a bit much.

"Gotta fix Sky Drop again, let's just throw out the baby with the bathwater."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ROFL Octopus posted:

The new pokedex entries for mega evolutions are great and usually horrifying, but the best part is that gamefreak is just matter-of-fact about it all. So you’ll have things like Glalie’s jaw dislocating, or Scizor melting, or Gengar wanting to kill everything including you, but then you get to Slowbro and it’s just

:3:

The moon entry for it is:

"When bathed in the energy of Mega Evolution, Shellder converts into impregnable armor. There is virtually no change in Slowpoke."

Oh slowpoke, too slow to realize you've mega-evolved :3:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is the pink man being bitten by the shellder a slowbro or slowpoke. if it loses its shellder, it "reverts to a slowpoke" but other times it already is a slowpoke

does a non-shiny shellder biting a shiny slowpoke become shiny when they're slowbro or do only shiny shellders bite shiny slowpokes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

oddium posted:

does a non-shiny shellder biting a shiny slowpoke become shiny when they're slowbro or do only shiny shellders bite shiny slowpokes
this one's easy, shinyness is genetic (see gen 2 shine mechanics) so it's an inadvertent blood transfusion into the nonshiny shellder that makes it become shiny

similarly, if the slowpoke had pokerus and then evolves, the slowbro is immune to pokerus even if the shellder wasn't

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I actually kind of wonder if putting the mutated shellder in as a separate mon wasn't a precursor to what ended up being fusion, like a nincada in reverse where it consumes something out of your party.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think they probably figured that deleting a pokemon from someone's party just because something evolved and they might not have known what would happen wouldn't go over well

hence why shedinja is spawned in the way it does, since all it requires is an empty space to appear and your ninjask is still there as well

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

.TakaM posted:

Nicely done.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Because gently caress You that's why

I don't get how in tyool 2018 it's apparently literally impossible to backpatch a handful of abilities/moves to make stuff like Own Tempo Rockruff able to be sent to SuMo. It's not even like the ability didn't exist :psyduck:

actually it's because of hard copies

soft patch the game all you want, but if you were to put a non-ultra sun/moon card in a new 3DS with no updates, but it had a sunset lycanroc on it...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Nicely done.
3 outta 3 sheer colds! Team Lapras still got it :tipshat:

I have a bunch of outstanding shiny Cleffas if anyone's interested

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

.TakaM posted:

3 outta 3 sheer colds! Team Lapras still got it :tipshat:

I have a bunch of outstanding shiny Cleffas if anyone's interested

I still have no interesting pokemon since it's my nuzlocke run, but I would love one of these. They're such a good subtle shiny

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey was this posted, if not congrats

https://twitter.com/Barbie_E4/status/1002916625832652800

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I still have no interesting pokemon since it's my nuzlocke run, but I would love one of these. They're such a good subtle shiny
Cool, I still have your friend code added from my shiny Celebi giveaways, I'll be hanging out in the festival plaza for a couple hours if you're free

edit-
Did you get a Celebi btw? I still have a few left

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 5, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There are a handful of winners among them, but for the most part the official dex is much better than the beta designs IMO. I think Girafarig is the only one I really think was better before and none of the standalones really wow me enough to trade for what we got instead.

I do like the fanart it inspired though, there's been a lot of cute stuff! :)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

There's a handful that seem like very obvious precursors, namely Tangrowth, Lickilicky, and Leafeon. On the other hand, some of them seem like the oft-mentioned 'we never get rid of Pokemon' ideas - old Sneasel very much resembles Mienfoo, and the cats are reminiscent of Espurr and Meowstic.

Interestingly enough Lapras and Kangaskhan don't have any familial connections in this game, despite being just as ripe for it as the others. Lapras would go on to have spiritual family designs for Ruby and Sapphire (beta Shellos/Gastrodon) and Kangaskhan a mega evolution. I would have thought Kanga would be the most obvious choice for a baby Pokemon.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Those are hot poo poo and I really miss the old watercolor hand-drawn look, the newer digital art designs just feel so lifeless

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I do think it's weird they went to the effort of redoing Scizor but not Marill

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RIP Farfetch’d evo, the world wasn’t ready yet

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
you guys are upset that the devs can't port backwards compatibility but not cheating prevention?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they really worded that tweet in an unfortunate way because it makes it sound like they made the demo themselves for a brief moment there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i really want it to be november, i need me some let's go pikachu