Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

You're forgetting that the 1990s made it cool and awesome to spell everything differently, like with X's and numbers instead of letters and poo poo. I'm surprised toggle-case never caught on in WWE, frankly.
This is like, 95% for trademark purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shima Honnou posted:

Sometimes I like to stop and think how different the world would be if Jericho had been told WCW was going to be sold so he could have bought it out instead of Vince.

What would he have done with it? It was going to lose the TV spot so he would have just assumed the IP and library and probably would have ended up selling to Vince anyway. I guess it would have spared us from the Invasion angle though.

Was he a serious buyer? I'd never heard him connected to the sale.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

What would he have done with it? It was going to lose the TV spot so he would have just assumed the IP and library and probably would have ended up selling to Vince anyway. I guess it would have spared us from the Invasion angle though.

According to Jericho, he and others were not informed that it was even up for sale until after the deal was done. Jericho has admitted that if he knew it was for sale, he'd have bought it himself since he had enough money to meet their asking price.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

He was absolutely never going to buy WCW. It went at that price because it had no value to anyone other than Vince and Vince would have easily outbid anyone else who wanted the company.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Also, didn't WWE legally obtain the right to either buy or pass on WCW before anyone else?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaponX posted:

Also, didn't WWE legally obtain the right to either buy or pass on WCW before anyone else?

Yes, they had right of first refusal from the Outsiders lawsuit. I don't even think that mattered too much now. The company had been on the market for six months (Turner originally tried to sell to Vince in October) and the Fusient deal had been delayed by two months. By March they were dead set on selling that thing no matter before they even canceled the TV. A company with no TV and only a week to find that TV has no value to anyone but Vince McMahon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, they had right of first refusal from the Outsiders lawsuit. I don't even think that mattered too much now. The company had been on the market for six months (Turner originally tried to sell to Vince in October) and the Fusient deal had been delayed by two months. By March they were dead set on selling that thing no matter before they even canceled the TV. A company with no TV and only a week to find that TV has no value to anyone but Vince McMahon.

And worth noting was that Vince tried to get Nitro a new station and COULDN'T. So if Vince couldn't get someone to pick up Nitro I doubt Jericho would have been able to.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Shima Honnou posted:

According to Jericho, he and others were not informed that it was even up for sale until after the deal was done. Jericho has admitted that if he knew it was for sale, he'd have bought it himself since he had enough money to meet their asking price.

I'm pretty sure Jericho was making fun of the fact that WCW went for chump change.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Shut up I can dream of a world without a monopoly if I want to :argh:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm trying to remember some older territory day wrestler that was balding, had a beard, wore a yellow shirt that said something along the lines of "I'm Not A Nice Guy" or some other Ox Bakerism, and had his one arm in a cast/wrist protector and used it as his finish. I discovered him before on accident but now I can't remember his name. Does anyone know who that could be?

I'm guessing no one knows who this could be then because I found out it was a guy named Buck Robley.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Given that AJ Styles is said to be booked solid suggesting that indies are making enough from his bookings to pay his fee, is it possible that he draws better as an independent wrestler than on a TNA house show? Would that make TNA a negative draw?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

epitasis posted:

Given that AJ Styles is said to be booked solid suggesting that indies are making enough from his bookings to pay his fee, is it possible that he draws better as an independent wrestler than on a TNA house show? Would that make TNA a negative draw?

I'm pretty drat sure his ROH appearances have outdrawn the average recent TNA house show at least. He's also done several small indies that would probably be comprable though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

STAC Goat posted:

It's really as simple as this, I think. It seems like modern day fans have either forgotten or don't realize that there was a time when Vince wasn't king and WWE don't own the business. WWE has done a good job writing history to seem like they've always been unstoppable, even when WCW was evilly trying to kill them, but there was a time when there was competition, they were even #2, and wrestlers had leverage. To hear Nash tell it the Kliq just wised up to the cutthroat nature of the business and decided to play ball and work together. And since WCW gave them the ability to walk from WWF (and vice versa) they were able to make things happen. It's probably the closest wrestling will ever come to unionizing.

Like, CM Punk walking out on WWE would be a VERY different story if there was a WCW in play. But Vince's Monday Night War win changed the business dramatically.

Exactly, WCW spent a huge chunk of the mid '90s bleeding WWF dry of talent and if anything being nice to the Kliq (the last few established main-eventers) was if anything a business decision. WCW could call anyone in WWF at any time, offering guaranteed big money and loyalty was the only thing keeping people like Bret Hart around (before Montreal). It fostered an environment where honestly the talent could wrap the company around their fingers, because they were needed, and drugged-up HBK took advantage of that environment badly.

Today, the competition is gone and the threat of leaving is like "well, where are you going to go? You'll be back once that misadventure ends". Either because the wasteland that is TNA, the short-term ride that is MMA or the lack of income that is the chaotic indy circuit compared to WWE. A wrestler jumping ship in the late '90s was a big deal but now, WWE is just in such total control of pro wrestling it's nothing more than a blip for the dirtsheets to freak about and nothing more.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Watching SummerSlam 92...why did the Ultimate Warrior start wearing a singlet?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JPrime posted:

Watching SummerSlam 92...why did the Ultimate Warrior start wearing a singlet?

lost his physique I think.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
WWF was in the midst of the steroid trial, so they did what they could to disguise the fact that their guys were getting smaller now that they were off the juice.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The original Warrior died and was replaced by The Ryback.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

MassRafTer posted:

The original Warrior died and was replaced by The Ryback.

The Ryback is a shaved Renegade? That seems racist somehow.

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's from the 11/30/98 Raw which sadly isn't on the network.

Is that '98? Shawn wasn't wrestling at that point, and it looks like before/after a match. '97, maybe?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Manny Suave posted:

Is that '98? Shawn wasn't wrestling at that point, and it looks like before/after a match. '97, maybe?

I googled "Shawn Michaels miming a blowjob" and the page I found was a Raw review from '98. If it's the right episode, it's the one where he replaced Sgt. Slaughter as commissioner.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Luigi Thirty posted:

I googled "Shawn Michaels miming a blowjob" and the page I found was a Raw review from '98. If it's the right episode, it's the one where he replaced Sgt. Slaughter as commissioner.

It's not, I remember doing detective work for that gif a few years back and found that it's from the 8/11/97 Raw. However the Raw episode itself doesn't show it because it goes off the air beforehand. You can tell it is from that show by that same glove Shawn is wearing and also the placement of a fans neon green sign in the background when comparing the two. Anyways the footage itself is shown on the original DX DVD about 8:50 in. :ms:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When they do two Elimination Chamber matches and some kind of damage was done to the pods or cage in the first one, do they just replace them during promos between matches, or do they work on the cage up in the rafters? I've always wondered this because it's happened a few times over the years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

When they do two Elimination Chamber matches and some kind of damage was done to the pods or cage in the first one, do they just replace them during promos between matches, or do they work on the cage up in the rafters? I've always wondered this because it's happened a few times over the years.

Probably during the video package before the next chamber match because I don't see any way they let people in that thing when it's hanging from the ceiling up there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Justin Godscock posted:

Exactly, WCW spent a huge chunk of the mid '90s bleeding WWF dry of talent and if anything being nice to the Kliq (the last few established main-eventers) was if anything a business decision. WCW could call anyone in WWF at any time, offering guaranteed big money and loyalty was the only thing keeping people like Bret Hart around (before Montreal). It fostered an environment where honestly the talent could wrap the company around their fingers, because they were needed, and drugged-up HBK took advantage of that environment badly.

Today, the competition is gone and the threat of leaving is like "well, where are you going to go? You'll be back once that misadventure ends". Either because the wasteland that is TNA, the short-term ride that is MMA or the lack of income that is the chaotic indy circuit compared to WWE. A wrestler jumping ship in the late '90s was a big deal but now, WWE is just in such total control of pro wrestling it's nothing more than a blip for the dirtsheets to freak about and nothing more.

Which is why the only guys that have any leverage with WWE are those who are independently wealthy (CM Punk), are in TV/movies (Rock, Batista), or found a combination of indie wrestling/small films to get by (Morrison).

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Whatever happened to Luke Gallows?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

emjayo posted:

Went to TNA, then Japan.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Went to TNA, then Japan.

Hell before career heaven. Gotcha.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

emjayo posted:

TNA in Aces & Eights for a bit, it sucked. Now in NJPW in Devitt's evil gaijin stable, Bullet Club. Its much better.

Edit: Beaten, so I'll give you a funny fact, he was D.O.C aka "The Director of Chaos" (pronounced Doc) in TNA. Now that he is in Japan he is called Doc Gallows. Guess they figured to just split the difference. Was hoping they'd call him Giant Bernard II.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 6, 2014

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Doc Gallows is a great ring name.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

emjayo posted:

Doc Gallows is a great ring name.

Yeah I like it a lot, sounds like something from a western

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

triplexpac posted:

Probably goes over really well in Japan, then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably goes over really well in Japan, then.

No its the westerns that steal from the Japanesse.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

My first thought in a wrestling context was that it sounds like it should've been the name of Taker's tag partner 20 years ago.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lance Hoyt/Vance Archer does the same thing in some indies, as Lance Archer.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of NJPW, where do I go if I want to check it out?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of NJPW, where do I go if I want to check it out?

Japan.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hey now

ROH is doing some NJPW co-promoted shows. He could go to the USA or Canada!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In '90s WCW there was a tag team comprised of Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce. Shanghai Pierce just might be the greatest name in all of pro wrestling.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Davros1 posted:

In '90s WCW there was a tag team comprised of Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce. Shanghai Pierce just might be the greatest name in all of pro wrestling.

Wasn't there some guy called "Jeep Swanson" or something equally ridiculous/awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, and he was also the guy who played Bane in Batman and Robin.