Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone on PS4 willing to trade a Frayed Blade (of any Upgrade Level) for something? I'll give you anything I've got at +10/5, or will upgrade your choice of weapon using my own slab if you want.

I just really wish I had picked the blade instead of the spell, but gently caress doing the DLC and that fight again on NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Oh yeah, one thing I found really funny is that once I killed Gael I started running around his boss arena. Naturally enough I ran into Shira, but I also ran into a ringed knight, which I found hilarious. Just imagine that poor guy, wandering around forever, surviving til the end and witnessing an epic fight between humans only to be casually crushed by one immediately afterwards.

I assume others have come across this guy as well, but I haven't heard anyone talking about him.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 5, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So is there any possible way anyone could have figured out that "Show Me Your Humanity" puzzle without doing a lot of PVP or being the one weirdo who uses Chameleon in every new area to see what they get?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So is there any possible way anyone could have figured out that "Show Me Your Humanity" puzzle without doing a lot of PVP or being the one weirdo who uses Chameleon in every new area to see what they get?

I think it was meant to be the pinicale community puzzle. A purposely shown but hidden area with an obscure puzzle. That was meant to spread through players talking for sure. Especially when it unlocks a PvP enabler thingie. People playing solo with not community interaction will skip it and miss not much.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

People playing solo with not community interaction will skip it and miss not much.

:wrong:

The True Ending is behind that monument, they would miss the entire point of the DLC :colbert:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I broke lapps questline , didn't get kicked or his armor, and never found the monument although I did find the white birch tree. oh well

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Your Computer posted:

:wrong:

The True Ending is behind that monument, they would miss the entire point of the DLC :colbert:

This. I missed the true ending on my first character since I couldn't figure the puzzle out. I just went on forward, smacked the dragon off the bridge, talked to Shira again and found out where he dropped (gently caress the fatasses forever), went after it and after all that rigmarole I went to the church. After Gael I went back to Lapp and he had gone completely hollow and attacked me so that was it.

After all that I just checked the solution from the wiki and completed the true ending questline with my pyro.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Are you saying Lapp's Questline is the "True Ending" to the game, or is there something else associated with the puzzle besides him and the PVP fight?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Annath posted:

Are you saying Lapp's Questline is the "True Ending" to the game, or is there something else associated with the puzzle besides him and the PVP fight?

Yes they're just referring to Lapp.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I co-op'd through the DLC with some friends (yes, yes, it's shameful that I didn't solo it).

On one of our games we'd already found the Show Your Humanity clue, and then while going through the swamp on another one we got invaded and hosed around with white branches for shits and giggles. We concluded that the humanity disguise was not very good for hiding from an invader (or getting from point A to point B in any remotely reasonable length of time), but we did go back and deal with that puzzle afterward.

I think I was the only one who did that before the whole dragon bit though, so it wasn't until my game that we saw Lapp's finale.

Vil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 5, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cavelcade posted:

Oh yeah, one thing I found really funny is that once I killed Gael I started running around his boss arena. Naturally enough I ran into Shira, but I also ran into a ringed knight, which I found hilarious. Just imagine that poor guy, wandering around forever, surviving til the end and witnessing an epic fight between humans only to be casually crushed by one immediately afterwards.

I assume others have come across this guy as well, but I haven't heard anyone talking about him.
that[s] not how you do spoiler tags my friend

Since i was hugging the right wall I ran into (and initially, from) Shira, did a full loop around the area and then met that ringed knight (which i'm pretty sure is that badass that used to stand in front of the Halflight boss room), i though that was pretty hilarious.
I then also basically explored the entire level without anything happening at all - was looking at all the corpses and thrones to see if they had inscriptions or interactable points. I guess the boss cutscene/encounter can't actually trigger if you're technically "in combat" with Shira.

Only after i went back and killed her did approaching the thrones trigger the boss fight.

I'm also pretty sure i wont bother to kill the knight after the boss fight, so he's technically the last survivor in that entire universe. Seems fair enough.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 5, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Since i was hugging the right wall I ran into (and initially, from) Shira, did a full loop around the area and then met that ringed knight (which i'm pretty sure is that badass that used to stand in front of the Halflight boss room), i though that was pretty hilarious.
I then also basically explored the entire level without anything happening at all - was looking at all the corpses and thrones to see if they had inscriptions or interactable points. I guess the boss cutscene/encounter can't actually trigger if you're technically "in combat" with Shira.

Only after i went back and killed her did approaching the thrones trigger the boss fight.

I'm also pretty sure i wont bother to kill the knight after the boss fight, so he's technically the last survivor in that entire universe. Seems fair enough.

he respawns and drops good treasure. Kill him. do it!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
But i already have all the treasure i want :( I'm basically a relic-hoarding dragon antagonist boss at this point (and long long long before) anyway.

Tallgeese posted:

Not only that, my invasion message is invisible and I act as a host.
Which bit do you have to flip to make all the enemies your client possesses do adorable player emote animations instead of attacks, thanks in advance

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

But i already have all the treasure i want :( I'm basically a relic-hoarding dragon antagonist boss at this point (and long long long before) anyway.

Which bit do you have to flip to make all the enemies your client possesses do adorable player emote animations instead of attacks, thanks in advance

iirc he drops a slab.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

It is Caitha, who is probably Velka.

Who is probably Gwyndolin.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

double nine posted:

iirc he drops a slab.
That's okay, i'm sitting on like 7 unused ones and already missed the one the NPC in the church can give you

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oops. Well, embarrassing, but fixed now. :ssh:

Now that I've finished the Lapp quest I really do feel like the game is...done. A fine dark soul to you all.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I was listening to Gael's themes and the first phase is amazing. I mean, the second phase is epic as hell, but the first one is just beautiful. It's so brooding.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Beat Gael and now just have Miridir left and ring collection to do (if I want to get the last trophy that is). The Gael fight itself was really fun, even if it did take me one too many tries as result of my rustiness. Still fun and worth doing alone, which is the plan for the dragon. Overall, DkS3 was a pretty fun experience, but it was definitely not my favorite of the Souls games. For a number of reasons I just haven't really been into how it plays as much as the previous 2. I like the general speed of the game and have a better grasp of parrying in this one, but a lot of the changes just don't land with me. Locations and music are a bit of a mixed bag as well, although I really liked the areas in the final DLC. Lore-wise I think the game, and its DLCs, have some issues but are generally fine. And the Ringed City does a good job of evoking an apocalyptic feeling, especially with its visuals.

With regards to the multiplayer, I found coop and pvp less fun than in previous games. Invasions were far more fun in 2 and the associated covenants worked more regularly. Even on my high level character I could get summoned to help players as a blue sentinel, invade a sinner, or get summoned to the bell tower. Also, cooperative play seemed far more common and more fun in 2. I also liked the NPC summons more in 2, even if some of them were pretty ridiculous in SotFS. As for 1, I still have fond memories of using chameleon to spook people in Darkroot Garden with my spellsword. Still were some fun places to do invasions in 3, but I just couldn't get into it like previous games. I'm still farming sword grass and proofs of concord kept because I overleveled for those covenants way too quickly!

And I'm still going to stick by my guns with Blighttown. I liked aspects of its design (like the verticality which someone else noted) but found those little flies, some of the layout, and the technical issues on the PS3 tedious. It did connect to Ash Lake which, while simple, was a cool area! Izalith wasn't great either (in fact, it was on the tedious as well) but I just found it easier to speed through, especially when tracking down items. Didn't mind the centipede too much, but I still think the Bed of Chaos may be one of the most disappointing bosses in the series. Not that hard but poorly executed in my opinion.

I might return to 3 with a new char, but I'm more likely to jump back into BB or play around with Nioh.

Maleh-Vor posted:

I was listening to Gael's themes and the first phase is amazing. I mean, the second phase is epic as hell, but the first one is just beautiful. It's so brooding.

Definitely. The fight, the music, and the arena are all really good!

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 5, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Genocyber posted:

Who is probably Gwyndolin.

It's actually just velkas all the way down. The world is a flat disc supported by four velkas on the back of great A'Velka.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
why the hell does force cost 26 mp?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Nuebot posted:

It's actually just velkas all the way down. The world is a flat disc supported by four velkas on the back of great A'Velka.

All answers to the unanswered questions are actually just Velka.

Hell, Velka was Gwyn's Firstborn before the Nameless King showed up.
That said, The Nameless King is probably still Velka.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

why the hell does force cost 26 mp?

Balnace.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

All answers to the unanswered questions are actually just Velka.

Hell, Velka was Gwyn's Firstborn before the Nameless King showed up.
That said, The Nameless King is probably still Velka.

If you take all the letters in "The Nameless King" and shuffle them, you get "I am Goddess Velka" :aaaaa:

Also did you know that underneath the crown of the Firekeeper, there's a tiny Velka? And the reason Andre is in DS3 is because of Velka's influence. Why did Fromsoft pick Earthen Peak of all DS2 areas to put in the DLC? Velka told them to.

Please like, comment and subscribe and don't forget to follow Velka on Patreon.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

You parry, I use force.

Balnace.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

If you take all the letters in "The Nameless King" and shuffle them, you get "I am Goddess Velka" :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo you're right.

wait no you're not, theres no N in I am goddess VElka! Or A V! poo poo

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
There's not even two G's lol.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Rayjenkins posted:

There's not even two G's lol.

:psyduck:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you take the letters in "The Unbreakable Patches" and change all of them you get "Solaire Yet Lives" 🤔

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Got summoned into the Spears fight as the King Spear and there was no one in the boss room, Giant still alive. I hung out for awhile and I kept hearing running and jumping from something. I'd assumed it was a glitch or an invisibility tricky, but I realized that the host was inside the bonfire room instead of the boss room. We played patty cake through the door but thanks to his estus, I lost the war of attrition. The second Cathedral Ninja spawned but didn't heal me because it couldn't "locate" the host.

I'm assuming this is griefing using the Resurrect Argo feature of the Purging monument?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That reminds me that the very first time i put my sign down at the Inner Wall bonfire trying to password-coop my brittle pve mage with my friend, i got summoned as a spear boss instead. That obviously caught me by surprise (although i quickly remembered the Old Monk fight and was like "oh hell yes") so that guy got a pretty easy duel win. Does everyone get a free "go" as the boss in that fight or did my game just glitch out?

Although someone later returned the favor when after a few npc halflight fights where i got worked over i got a super nimble miracle user that went down in 3 hits to my claws.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 6, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've gotten 3 summons as a spear in 2 hours in what should be prime time. this sucks and is expected- the first people to beat midir got a ton of fun, now everyone left playing has no one to fight

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
that's why a multiplayer-centric souls game sound dumb to me, even though tons of people have called for that before

just a random thought

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KingSlime posted:

that's why a multiplayer-centric souls game sound dumb to me, even though tons of people have called for that before

just a random thought

It'd be fun, but it would absolutely require you to build the game around the assumption of multiplayer, rather than adding in multiplayer as an aside.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Vermain posted:

It'd be fun, but it would absolutely require you to build the game around the assumption of multiplayer, rather than adding in multiplayer as an aside.

Yeah, the problem is that co-op is absolutely tacked on for Dark Souls, they've never designed around it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk what it is about the area between Pontiff and Aldritch but that's probably the most un-fun area in all of DS3, as in it's the most likely to make me go "ugh, alright that's enough DS3 for now". It's DS3's Tseldora.

Yeah you'd think the Farron Swamp would be it but somehow I'm mostly inured to its bullshit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sapozhnik posted:

idk what it is about the area between Pontiff and Aldritch but that's probably the most un-fun area in all of DS3, as in it's the most likely to make me go "ugh, alright that's enough DS3 for now". It's DS3's Tseldora.

Yeah you'd think the Farron Swamp would be it but somehow I'm mostly inured to its bullshit.

I mean with the silver knights its a pretty tough area but the constant stream of multiple invaders makes it almost impossible solo unless you luck out and get a bunch of idiots. There's no reason to actually stay and fight rather than just rushing past everything, killing Aldritch, and then coming back for anything you need.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Vermain posted:

The game does seem built around the assumption of the kind of multiplayer that is unique to dark souls, ie. someone trying to progress through the game, and people of similar power stopping them or helping them. So many of the design decisions that people don't like - limited respecs, limited slabs, no ascetics, covenant rewards, rings in NG+ - are in service of fostering that multiplayer.

~meta level pvp~ and pure co-op (and pure single-player, for that matter) are totally asides by design.

Also people who only want to pvp with their all-items acquired, perfect builds that they want to last forever are not paying close enough attention to the game.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 6, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
at least with Farron Swamp you have the Abyss Watchers fight to look forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How does no ascetics improve multiplayer? If anything it limits multiplayer since it means you can't be invaded in an area you have cleared, so there are less opportunities for player conflict. Forcing people to go to NG+ and beyond doesn't add anything to multiplayer. There are no barriers between NG and NG+ when it comes to matchmaking so you don't have any reason to force people into it.