Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Mage Knight is the Eratosthenes of board games. Second best in all categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm afraid, I was gifted Napoleon's Triumph along side Potion Explosion. My thoughts on this: How did that happen, I never talked about NT to anyone and its in 2nd of the bgg rankings! The only war game I've played is Kemet and Falling Sky, its huge!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dumped some of my Christmas money into The Long Night. I have high hopes (having not played the original).

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
For xmas I got:
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Pandemic Legacy
Bill and Ted
and the expansion for Betrayal at House on the Hill
$100 in Amazon gift cards, which I'll no doubt use for even more games

This puts me at about 8 unplayed games.

What is the limit of unplayed games you've set for yourself before you're not allowed to buy more?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm afraid, I was gifted Napoleon's Triumph along side Potion Explosion. My thoughts on this: How did that happen, I never talked about NT to anyone and its in 2nd of the bgg rankings! The only war game I've played is Kemet and Falling Sky, its huge!

I'll take NT off your hands. I'll even trade you a bigger game... like Kingdom Builder big box.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mustached5thGrader posted:

What is the limit of unplayed games you've set for yourself before you're not allowed to buy more?

Ummm....1? Do you not play games as soon as you get them?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Some Numbers posted:

You must have forgotten that this hobby is full of hoarders and undiagnosed OCD

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

unplayed games you've set for yourself before you're not allowed to buy more?

before you're not allowed to buy more?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

sonatinas posted:

That's a pretty harsh way to treat pretty much all wargamers :(

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

This is how I know I'm not in the wargame thread.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tekopo posted:

That's a pretty harsh way to treat pretty much all wargamers :(

Truth hurts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think you "get" board gamers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My brother-in-law got me Codenames Pictures for Christmas! In a useful coincidence, I had brought the original Codenames over to the in-law's house to play after dinner; so I was able to slot it in to my Broken Token organizer right away (and yes, now I have all 3 Codenames variants stashed in the same box. I had to leave out the agent/bystander/assassin tiles from Deep Undercover, as well as about 20 of the grid cards from Pictures).

I went ahead and picked up the extra set of agent and bystander cards from the BGG store to make Pictures compatible with a 5x5 array; so when those arrive I'll be able to use the same grid cards for everything Codenames.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
No Christmas games this year (which I'm fine with, honestly), but I did get an Amazon Gift Card I'm thinking about using the subsidize Keyflower.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What Dominion cards are no longer in second edition? Anyone have a list handy?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

sonatinas posted:

I guess. I currently own a single shrink wrapped game and I've definitely played it.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Some Numbers posted:

I wish. My game night comes once a week and it's so late after work we only have time for one. Games that take longer get pushed to the side, so stiff lines up :tipshat:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lorini posted:

What Dominion cards are no longer in second edition? Anyone have a list handy?

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Removed_cards

Dominion
  • Chancellor
  • Woodcutter
  • Feast
  • Spy
  • Thief
  • Adventurer

Intrigue
  • Secret Chamber
  • Great Hall
  • Coppersmith
  • Scout
  • Saboteur
  • Tribute

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

queen games sent me replacement parts for kingdom builder when I got it a few years ago. sorry if anyone else had a bad experience with them.

Xmas games: power grid deluxe, arkham horror card game, pandemic Iberia

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Wow all the Kickstarter stuff makes Arcadia Quest seem pretty unappealing. Knowing I'd have to buy all those extra heroes individually if I liked the game... I feel like I'd only pick it up someone was selling their kickstarter edition.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Megasabin posted:

Wow all the Kickstarter stuff makes Arcadia Quest seem pretty unappealing. Knowing I'd have to buy all those extra heroes individually if I liked the game... I feel like I'd only pick it up someone was selling their kickstarter edition.

Kickstarter has done one good thing for the hobby: Most Kickstarter's put out PnP editions to help promote the Kickstarter.

Everything else is bad. Most games end up doing a single print run with little to no support after that. People throw gobs of money at games with bad mechanics because of Minis or pop-culture bullshit. "Kickstarter Exclusives" are bullshit, as they make the full game ridiculously more expensive later, if you can even find the stuff down the road.

Here's the top 100 Most Backed Kickstarter Tabletop projects (a few RPGs are in that list, but it's mostly board games). In the top 5, three are total garbage, one (Secret Hitler) is generally considered "OK", and the last Dark Souls, hasn't shipped.

Scythe does break the top 10, and it's an exception to "most Kickstarter games are garbage" from what I understand, but most of the rest of the list is either derivative (Tiny Epic X), bad (Ghostbusters, TMNT), or unremarkable.

I have bought a few board games I've really liked on Kickstarter. I actually enjoy Secret Hitler, in no small part because it isn't The Resistance or Avalon (two games I find deeply boring), and I tend to find Secret Hitler more enjoyable, though I still will rarely break it out. I backed The Networks, but that was mostly because I playtested it at GenCon and *knew* it was good.

I just don't see a flood of "good games publishers wouldn't take a risk on," so much as we see a bunch of "crap publishers were right to pass on."

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Baller Ina posted:

My cousin got Codenames Undercover from our secret santa so we played it instead of regular codenames. Synonyms everywhere and very little room for more interesting clue-giving. Frustrating to play.

Noticed that as well. What I did was mix it in with regular Codenames and it works better.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Steve2911 posted:

Dumped some of my Christmas money into The Long Night. I have high hopes (having not played the original).

City of Horror is on sale on CSI right now, and that's a much better zombie game. Also I think you might need the base DoW game to play Long Night, but I wasn't really paying much attention to the expansion since the base was such a huge disappointment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

before you're not allowed to buy more?

I can't parse this. Can someone explain it to me?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Big McHuge posted:

City of Horror is on sale on CSI right now, and that's a much better zombie game. Also I think you might need the base DoW game to play Long Night, but I wasn't really paying much attention to the expansion since the base was such a huge disappointment.

It's a standalone, but it's even worse than the original. There's a crossroads card that forces the player to reveal a real life secret to the table to pass it. Terrible garbage dumpster poo poo.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a standalone, but it's even worse than the original. There's a crossroads card that forces the player to reveal a real life secret to the table to pass it. Terrible garbage dumpster poo poo.

That sounds good actually, what makes it bad?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

foxxtrot posted:

Kickstarter has done one good thing for the hobby: Most Kickstarter's put out PnP editions to help promote the Kickstarter.

Everything else is bad. Most games end up doing a single print run with little to no support after that. People throw gobs of money at games with bad mechanics because of Minis or pop-culture bullshit. "Kickstarter Exclusives" are bullshit, as they make the full game ridiculously more expensive later, if you can even find the stuff down the road.

Here's the top 100 Most Backed Kickstarter Tabletop projects (a few RPGs are in that list, but it's mostly board games). In the top 5, three are total garbage, one (Secret Hitler) is generally considered "OK", and the last Dark Souls, hasn't shipped.

Scythe does break the top 10, and it's an exception to "most Kickstarter games are garbage" from what I understand, but most of the rest of the list is either derivative (Tiny Epic X), bad (Ghostbusters, TMNT), or unremarkable.

I have bought a few board games I've really liked on Kickstarter. I actually enjoy Secret Hitler, in no small part because it isn't The Resistance or Avalon (two games I find deeply boring), and I tend to find Secret Hitler more enjoyable, though I still will rarely break it out. I backed The Networks, but that was mostly because I playtested it at GenCon and *knew* it was good.

I just don't see a flood of "good games publishers wouldn't take a risk on," so much as we see a bunch of "crap publishers were right to pass on."

Great breakdown. I have never backed a boardgame KS and have just picked up the ones that are worth it in retail. I don't mind waiting a while longer than backers, especially because it means there are more reviews by the time the game hits the FLGS shelves.

(one nitpick: Tiny Epic X are various stand alone designs, not similar to each other except that they fit in a tiny box. Unless I misunderstood what you meant)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My Christmas haul: LotR Lcg, Elusive Victory and Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. Also got in on the family codenames action, though for some reason the other games aren't so popular :iiam:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What the gently caress does revealing personal real life secrets have to do with a zombie board game?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Either the secret is some inane boring stuff (I kissed X in high school) or it's actually a secret worth keeping and there is a chance of serious impact in the group of players, like dramatically changing people's opinion of the revealer, causing an argument between players, or even destroy the circle of trust that any real group of friends has. There's no real middle ground there. This is a bullshit truth or dare mechanic that has no place in a designer board game.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

theroachman posted:

(one nitpick: Tiny Epic X are various stand alone designs, not similar to each other except that they fit in a tiny box. Unless I misunderstood what you meant)

No, I was apparently wrong about that. Something about the branding just looks like a bunch of goofy re-skins, but I had never looked that closely at them.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I got jaipur, or a bootleg copy of it with chinese instructions at least, and star realms from my wife. Star realms looks fun at least.

I got us coup and kingdom builder because they were on sale and look fun.

On the stuff I might buy with gift cards list:

Pandemic legacy
Dominion (if it doesn't sound too similar too star realms)
Agricola or viticulture
Champions of midgard
Maybe a summoner wars starter kit?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My secret: I think Dead of Winter is a poo poo game.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's the most obvious example of how DoW is really schizophrenic. Is it a strategic board game, a random experiance generator, or a truth-or-dare style party game? Is it a serious zombies game, a dark comedy about zombies, or a silly zombie-based romp? Is it a co-op or a hidden traitor game?

The answer is all of the above, and ignore any contradictions between them cause zombies ooze theme.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I snagged Patchwork and Fury of Dracula at together for under $90 Canadian, Shipped, on 401games's Boxing Day sale.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
is king of tokyo actually good or do people just like it because its thematic and has nice components?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

We got captain sonar, 2nd ed. upgrades for dominion & intrigue, the two standalone arkham lcg event packs, and... I swear there was something else but I'm blanking now. We've also been buying ourselves lots of board games the past two months, so everything runs together at this point. Stumbled through two player solo captain sonar last night just to get the rules & mechanics under our belts. Hopefully we can actually convince six of our friends to do real time at some point.

mmmcasserole
Dec 24, 2016

adebisi lives posted:

I got us coup and kingdom builder because they were on sale and look fun.

On the stuff I might buy with gift cards list:

Pandemic legacy
Dominion (if it doesn't sound too similar too star realms)
Agricola or viticulture
Champions of midgard
Maybe a summoner wars starter kit?

Coup is great. My playgroup prefers The Resistance and Bang, but I just picked up Secret Hitler to try something new.

Dominion is also really fun and, in my experience, has been received well by people who have never heard of or played deck-building games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

adebisi lives posted:

I got jaipur, or a bootleg copy of it with chinese instructions at least, and star realms from my wife. Star realms looks fun at least.

Jaipur is our most played game. Fantastic two player game. Star Realms is super generic and vanilla deck building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bottom Liner posted:

Jaipur is our most played game. Fantastic two player game. Star Realms is super generic and vanilla deck building.

Jaipur is so much fun. I like the quick set up and risk reward about waiting too long for a huge buy. Plus camels are neat.

discount cathouse posted:

is king of tokyo actually good or do people just like it because its thematic and has nice components?

It's been one of our most played games, I've had two couples buy their own copies after they played with us. This was original edition + power up, so I don't know about King of New York or the newer edition of the original.

CommonShore posted:

I snagged Patchwork and Fury of Dracula at together for under $90 Canadian, Shipped, on 401games's Boxing Day sale.

Patchwork is so chill. It is one of our go to games.

I got Mysterium for Xmas and we played with the least experienced group possible, including my parents, and it went fine and everyone had fun. It helps that other players want to help new players do well, but don't know for sure the correct answer. The rules are not well written but fixable with light googling.