Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

Gen II has some gems (Heracross, Espeon, Umbreon, Murkrow, Steelix, Forretress etc) some that were ruined by the transition to 3D models (rip Skarmory, Xatu), a bunch of bleh and the unforgivable crime that is Stantler, the worst pokemon, which condemns it to worst dex overall.

Stantler at least has the lovely gimmick of being indispensable for holiday specials, same with Delibird.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Quality over quantity. I would rather have a new gen with 70 new mons that are as good as GSC's roster than another Sun/Moon

Sun/Moon mons are the purest example of quality over quantity in the series :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't really like the aesthetic shift from "basically just an animal" to "overly-designed fursuit/moeblob." Skiddo is like my favorite mon from X/Y and I still don't like how it's designed when compared the the older watercolor drawings of RBY/GSC. Starting from X/Y, the Pokemon look like they're explicitly designed for the anime.

(funny enough some of my favorite designs are the ones people complain about the most. I love Trubbish and Vanillish)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the sexy lizard is good

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Trubbish was put into the games as an homage to us, the fans

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

sharrrk posted:

the sexy lizard is good

:hai:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
“the sexy lizard” refers to Scrafty

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't really like the aesthetic shift from "basically just an animal" to "overly-designed fursuit/moeblob."

Those aren't either of those two things and pokemone being just Weirdly Colored Animals with no real design aspects too them suck and if you prefer them you might also enjoy A Water without any ice.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those aren't either of those two things and pokemone being just Weirdly Colored Animals with no real design aspects too them suck and if you prefer them you might also enjoy A Water without any ice.

yes they are no youre wrong

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When will Game Freak return to the very clearly superior aesthetics of Literally a Seal, Literally a Ball w/ Eyes, or Literally a Crab.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Funky Valentine posted:

When will Game Freak return to the very clearly superior aesthetics of Literally a Seal, Literally a Ball w/ Eyes, or Literally a Crab.

spheal is all three of these

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh A Turtle with a mountain and bonzai tree on it? No no no that's too spicy, can I please get back to Blue Turtle.

Hell, gen 1 even did this wtih evos now that I think about it. Wartortle has cool ears and a tail that are meant to be evocative of the surf and water and when he evolves he looses all that personality and just becomes a fatter turtle +2 cannons. God early design pokemon sucked.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I would make a joke about people who think the old designs are boring needing a set of shiny keys jingled in front of their face to keep their attention held but thats already a Pokemon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh A Turtle with a mountain and bonzai tree on it? No no no that's too spicy, can I please get back to Blue Turtle.

Hell, gen 1 even did this wtih evos now that I think about it. Wartortle has cool ears and a tail that are meant to be evocative of the surf and water and when he evolves he looses all that personality and just becomes a fatter turtle +2 cannons. God early design pokemon sucked.

this is like the first time we've ever agreed i think

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I captured my first shiny ever! :toot: A Bouffalant in Alpha Sapphire.

Funky Valentine posted:

I like Literally a Seal because its tongue is sticking out and that's cute.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hot take, all Pokemon generations have designes that are neutral, and the rest is divided between bad and an equal amount of good designs.
But it's Gen 1 that has the fewest neutral ones.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would make a joke about people who think the old designs are boring needing a set of shiny keys jingled in front of their face to keep their attention held but thats already a Pokemon

Nah it's just that you can do more interesting things with magical animals than "What if it was a little weird colored?"

oddium posted:

this is like the first time we've ever agreed i think

I know but like...most of gen 1 are Blastoise level boring to me. It's got a few bangers in it's set but the majority of them are just nothing and Gen 2 is more of that BUT they also just made the interesting designs either unusably bad or put them in areas you couldn't get to until you actually beat the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A little creature trolling people by pretending to be a set of keys is a literally perfect example of a classical fairy

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Keys as a Pokémon? Not cool give me my superior designs such as: a magnet and a circle.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drat kids these days with their "designs using more than two colors", "not being bound by GB sprite limitations", and the hula-Hoopas.

Back in my day we had to trudge through 90% of a badly-balanced game just for a bird that was one fire! And it was uphill! Both ways!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

A little creature trolling people by pretending to be a set of keys is a literally perfect example of a classical fairy

No this fantasy creature is silly and too fantastical! It clearly should have just been a pink circle holding a key ring!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is platinum still the game with the best singleplayer endgame wrt being sorta challenging endgame/postgame trainers and battle towers/bosses or not?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

All these posts one day after everyone losing their poo poo over how great baby Meowth and baby Doduo were, whose designs were "a baby cat" and "baby birds"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think its kinda weird that people keep bringing up qwilfish as an example of bad gen 2 design when almost every gen has its own even lamer fish

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

All these posts one day after everyone losing their poo poo over how great baby Meowth and baby Doduo were, whose designs were "a baby cat" and "baby birds"

nah, both those sucked tbh and its good they were scrapped.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The way Baby Doduo's design evokes a bird's next is actually really cool. And I love the idea that Doduo isn't a two headed bird, but a three headed bird who keeps one safe in its stomach fluff, which the switch from 3 heads to 2 heads to 3 heads implies to me.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't really like the aesthetic shift from "basically just an animal" to "overly-designed fursuit/moeblob." Skiddo is like my favorite mon from X/Y and I still don't like how it's designed when compared the the older watercolor drawings of RBY/GSC. Starting from X/Y, the Pokemon look like they're explicitly designed for the anime.

(funny enough some of my favorite designs are the ones people complain about the most. I love Trubbish and Vanillish)

All of those designs are good though? Arcanine and Lycanroc are both good dogs. I would prefer if Salazzle wasn't bipedal all the time, but it has a nice lizards face and Skiddo is a cute little goat with a leafy ruff. It's hardly "over-designed", unlike most of the mega-evolutions.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
cant wait to have my boi follow me like a good boi

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The only overdesigned pokemon is Knack and im not even sure if that’s a pokemon

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
all right I wanna open another can of worms

if I could go back in time I'd take Seel, Bellsprout, Pidgey, and Goldeen all out of gen 1 and put in like, more ghosts and poo poo, what changes would you make to the gen 1 dex thread?

gen 1 Misdreavus :allears:

kissing grandmas
Jun 10, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if I could go back in time I'd take Seel, Bellsprout, Pidgey, and Goldeen all out of gen 1 and put in like, more ghosts and poo poo, what changes would you make to the gen 1 dex thread?

the gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

But. Arcanine’s design is even more busy than Lycanroc’s? He’s also based on things like the Shiisa and orientalial lions and isn’t just a dog. Lycanroc is, meanwhile, just a skinny wolf with pointy things on his collar.

You kind of undermined your own argument here.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't really like the aesthetic shift from "basically just an animal" to "overly-designed fursuit/moeblob."

bwuhh?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'd make them take a day and implement dragon-type better than they did. Gyarados, Charizard, dunno who else. And I'd give Electrode an evolution that actually does something, maybe the ball cracks open and it's the Substitute mon inside, I dunno; Voltorb is an interesting gimmick but Electrode is stupid. How am I supposed to have confused a beachball sized motherfucker for a dropped Pokeball.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

did you uh

did you misread the part where I said I liked the original, simplistic designs

I have zero idea what you're trying to communicate here with this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nodosaur posted:

But. Arcanine’s design is even more busy than Lycanroc’s? He’s also based on things like the Shiisa and orientalial lions and isn’t just a dog. Lycanroc is, meanwhile, just a skinny wolf with pointy things on his collar.

You kind of undermined your own argument here.

i also don't get it because ekans is just literally a purple snake with the name of snake backwards, which is fine, but salazzle is literally an evolution and by definition it has more going on because it's a goddamn lizard with legs and markings compared to a purple yelling tube which can also evolve whose evolution is basically on par with salazzle in terms of markings and design except just replace 'lizard' with 'snake'

basically:

actually imagine this as my reaction to the vast majority of arguments about some set of pokemon being more or less well-designed compared to others when ultimately a lot of specific preferences are going to differ wildly from person to person and nothing actually productive will come from arguing about it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Electrode's grin makes it worth it.

But that line learning no electric moves naturally till gen 3 (just spark) was always goofy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If anything Lycanroc's design is too simplistic for my tastes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm glad we all agree RazzleDazzle is wrong and also that Blastoise is a massive disappointment coming from Wartortle.