Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Frank Frank posted:

I’ve heard super good things about Obra Dinn and resisted because I wasn’t really into the premise but I’ll give it a shot

It’s a top tier puzzle game and greatly rewards lateral thinking. There are clear clues to the identity of every member of the crew but they’re often not straightforward. Saying more would probably constitute as a spoiler so if any of what’s been said so far appeals to you, then give it a shot. The premise is bizarre but the execution is phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

AI: The Somnium Files is pretty close to this concept. A detective enters people's dreams to find clues.

Tacoma is even closer; you move around in holographic black box recordings on a spaceship, and can fast-forward/rewind on the fly.

Both are good games!

Tacoma was very, very fun, yeah. :toot: Kind of one and done sadly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Tacoma is really good. Obra Dinn is phenomenal. Not sure what I was expecting but I was blown away by Obra Dinn. intensely compelling game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I played through the first part of Deliver Us The Moon when it came out and kinda wanna grab it again to play the second half. Have realized I quite enjoy walking simulators taking place after disasters where you piece together exactly what's gone wrong but there's never any actual danger, just at most dread or tenseness.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I did not expect Dreamfall: Chapters to call out people who claim that re-education camps are not bad, but I appreciate it:
https://i.imgur.com/OziGlq1.mp4

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alhazred posted:

I did not expect Dreamfall: Chapters to call out people who claim that re-education camps are not bad, but I appreciate it:

Yeah, Dreamfall Chapters being openly political is great.I should go back and play the fixed up version rather than as it was released to see if it fixes the stuff I had issues with, but on the other hand I've scared to see they were intentional rather than just realities of development)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Just did the mission in Red Dead Redemption where you go to the theater. I had a lot of fun making Arthur endlessly heckle the MC but then cheer all of the acts like big, stupid, easily entertained baby that he is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

christmas boots posted:

Just did the mission in Red Dead Redemption where you go to the theater. I had a lot of fun making Arthur endlessly heckle the MC but then cheer all of the acts like big, stupid, easily entertained baby that he is.

I can seriously hear Arthur going I'LL BE DAMNED! HOW'D HE DOO THAT?!? in my sleep I love that scene so much. For a split second his reaction matches yours in a very human way and it's like you've lost control of him and he's just an NPC in the game world. RDR2 is legitimately wonderful as a period piece when they set that as their target for a scene. The voice actor Roger Clark absolutely killed it.

edit: The full scene with Arthur cheering instead of antagonizing. You can imagine him inebriated if you wish. And here's the entirely jeers version. You can imagine him inebriated if you wish.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:24 on May 29, 2022

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Stop singing about geography!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love taking Arthur to the theatre. I'm very easily entertained, I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
despite looking as goofy as the first game, Rogue Legacy 2 has an intricate backstory involving the immortal stewards of a forgotten kingdom and their devolution into backbiting, famine, rebellion, and madness. in typical souls-y fashion, the mutated husks of those stewards are also the bosses, and you can fight upgraded versions of them all as you keep looping the game

one of the bosses, Irad, is gradually revealed to be the main perpetrator of almost everything lovely that happened to the kingdom, sabotaging its defenses and banishing/starving out its best doctor in a fit of jealousy before losing his mind from poison-induced insomnia. his True boss fight is four phases long, transporting you through all of his worst tactical blunders in increasingly bullet-hell conditions before you finally finish him off

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Alhazred posted:

Re-educating Hitler's Youth was a very real problem in terms of morality and logistics. Especially the ones born into the regime.

e: the gif looks super bad in terms of cartoon uber-untermensch kinda view too

Vic has a new favorite as of 22:13 on May 29, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Gotta admit I'm not too sure how to feel about the buck tooth thin mustache little guy

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

And I know how it sounds like, but those little nazis literally had to be deprogrammed because it was such a unifying and formative experience that was overwhelmingly positive for most of them. That's what's scary about all that.

loving magic racism in videogames does more harm than good imo. It's like that Bright movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

I guess to put it another way, in both DS and LM it feels like the developers are trying to communicate to you in a foreign language and by the end of the game there's a genuine sense of accomplishment in having decoded that design language after having been forced to acclimatize and ultimately internalize it.

I don't quite get that same feeling from other Metroidvanias. In something like Aria of Sorrow there's still certainly a sense of progression, but it's more of a simple stats go up, gear gets better power accumulation/get keys to open doors process moreso than my entire understanding of the game world fundamentally shifting. A few of them flirt close to it, with stuff like SotN and HoD's map twists, but idk, I still never felt like I was having a conversation with the designers in the same sense.

Of course now I'm wondering if people's heads will explode if I say I also regularly compare Dark Souls to Myst.

Funny thing is that I'm pretty sure freeware La-Mulana predates Demon's Souls, so if anything it might have influenced Dark Souls. Funny thing given how the trend in indie circles now is to try to translate Dark Souls gameplay to 2D.

Also, probably, but as has been said before, the old dungeon crawlers that Dark Souls descends from are pretty closely related to adventure games too, sometimes it's just a matter of whether or not the game has stats. (And in that way, Disco Elysium is actually something of a throwback) Of course, video game genres have always been an arbitrary thing even by standards of 'genre' being arbitrary in any medium.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Both the Souls games and LM have shared influences in earlier Japanese video gaming, like early exploratory platformers, CRPGs (both imported and domestic stuff on MSX), and Tower of Druaga, an arcade maze-type game where players would actually write down hints for others in a notepad next to the machine because there were so many weird secrets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

And I know how it sounds like, but those little nazis literally had to be deprogrammed because it was such a unifying and formative experience that was overwhelmingly positive for most of them. That's what's scary about all that.
So if you think re-education camps are bad you're pro-nazis?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Alhazred posted:

So if you think re-education camps are bad you're pro-nazis?

Of course not. I'm just mad ranting about magic racism in videogames because it always inadvertently makes some hosed up implications, or misrepresents the issue.

I'm good now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

Of course not. I'm just mad ranting about magic racism in videogames because it always inadvertently makes some hosed up implications, or misrepresents the issue.

I'm good now.
This scene kinda resonated with me because of people claiming that the prison camps in China are just re-education camps and not an attempt at wiping out a culture. Even though the game was made long before this was in the media so it's pretty unlikely that it was talking about that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Been playing Need for Speed HEAT and it's actually a pretty neat take on Millennials Expose The Cops Through Facebook so far! I hope they stick the landing. While following other characters to story missions, I noticed that I was having a more hard time following Ana than Dex. Both of them are in tiny drifter slot cars, both go at about your speed ish so you can slow down and pay attention to the talking, both have surely the same AI. I was trying to figure out why for the entire drive, but then it literally clicked:

Dex uses his turn signal, Ana doesn't use hers.

edit: Wayne, the other most-youngest fresh outta high school character doesn't use his either. You drat kids are learning to drift before you're learning to drive!!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:06 on May 30, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That's awesome. That's the content that I come here for.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'll bitch top to bottom about the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games, but they have a dastardly secret weapon that makes it impossible to walk away from a completed one angry about the experience.

It's those goddamn Utada Hikaru songs. It's physically impossible to be mad at a game that's giving you Simple and Clean or Your Sanctuary, those songs are loving perfect!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I'll bitch top to bottom about the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games, but they have a dastardly secret weapon that makes it impossible to walk away from a completed one angry about the experience.

It's those goddamn Utada Hikaru songs. It's physically impossible to be mad at a game that's giving you Simple and Clean or Your Sanctuary, those songs are loving perfect!

:hai: drat straight.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

A fun thing I had entirely forgotten, as its been so long. But in 80 Days, on your second go, after the first sucessful trip you (spoiling because its a fun easter egg) meet Jules Verne on the train to Paris and can chat a little. Just a fun thing I got to see again playing it on switch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

When the credits for Chain of Memories, a Game Boy Advance game, started and a full rendition of Simple and Clean (just a little compressed, mind you) began ringing out from the handheld's speakers, it just about blew me away.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

A fun thing I had entirely forgotten, as its been so long. But in 80 Days, on your second go, after the first sucessful trip you (spoiling because its a fun easter egg) meet Jules Verne on the train to Paris and can chat a little. Just a fun thing I got to see again playing it on switch.

That whole game is just little things, it's great.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I posted in the wrong thread, but this made my day:

thecluckmeme posted:

My dad's favorite game is Lego Star Wars, and we've been playing the latest release. We were both shocked at the number of bricks it requires to 100% the game as completionists (1200) and wondering how in the gently caress we were going to get all of them between the 45 levels, the open worlds, and all of the quests that bounce you between different planets and areas in those planets. How can we have 1200 bricks between all those places?

We unlocked the Deathstar II from a quest on Endor, which gives you a Capital Ship, different from the other ships you can choose from. 1/9 discovered so far. I've tried to change to it, because I think it's hilarious if I can have a tiny Death Star II on the landing pad, but it tells me I'm not allowed. We finished out our cleanup today and I said "Let me just fly a Death Star like it's a normal ship"

That poo poo ain't a ship to fly, IT'S A BONUS LEVEL! YOU CAN'T SPAWN IT AT THE LANDING PAD BECAUSE IT'S A WHOLE rear end PLANET YOU BRING INTO THE WORLD! THERE'S NINE OF THESE FUCKERS AND WE FOUND ONE! IT HAD SEVEN BRICKS! I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS SURPRISED AND EXCITED ABOUT A STAR WARS SURPRISE SINCE I WAS 8!"

I played through all of episode IX and still left the game with deeply nostalgic serotonin hitting, they knew what they were doing for both the star wars stories and the lego star wars players since the PSP. 100/10

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

V Rising is already very polished for an early access title, but a particularly nice thing I enjoy about it is that you can freely move your buildings and structures around while still preserving their state. You can move chests around without having to empty them first, you can move production buildings around without losing what's in them, hell you can even move them around while they're actively producing things and they'll just keep on producing without interruption. So many other construction-type games make it an unnecessary pain in the rear end to reorganize your layout through forcing you to empty, deconstruct, and then rebuild structures, but here it's just a matter of drag and dropping things where you want them.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
80 Days is excellent. I didn't end up playing it until a few years after release but when I did I got way into it. If I didn't see everything there was to see in that game I came close to it.

Is Dreamfall Chapters actually any good? I checked it out at the height of both Telltale and my love of those crappy games, and even then I came away from it after a couple of hours with a resounding "eh".

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

When you have a high enough relationship with an NPC in My Time in Portia, they'll sometimes be waiting outside your workshop in the morning to invite you to hang out, and there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many people can decide to do this on any given day (although you can only accept one invitation at a time.) This means sometimes you walk out of your house to find half the town awkwardly milling about outside your front gate vying for your attention and it makes me laugh every time.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

small ghost posted:

When you have a high enough relationship with an NPC in My Time in Portia, they'll sometimes be waiting outside your workshop in the morning to invite you to hang out, and there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many people can decide to do this on any given day (although you can only accept one invitation at a time.) This means sometimes you walk out of your house to find half the town awkwardly milling about outside your front gate vying for your attention and it makes me laugh every time.

azure dreams flashbacks

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Beartaco posted:

Is Dreamfall Chapters actually any good? I checked it out at the height of both Telltale and my love of those crappy games, and even then I came away from it after a couple of hours with a resounding "eh".

It's fine, but it's the worst Longest Journey game and will only really appeal to fans of the series but also does a few things that will annoy a lot of those fans as well.

Also suffers from being "open world".

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
It says something that Obra dinn presents its story so well i can remember two moments of just staring and being like What the gently caress is even happening.

Very good game

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

small ghost posted:

That actually kind of bums me out hearing that. You can have a ton of people outside and you can't just say "gently caress my schedule for the day. LET'S HAVE A BARBEQUE AND EVERYONE'S INVITED!" or some other big-group activity?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Randalor posted:

That actually kind of bums me out hearing that. You can have a ton of people outside and you can't just say "gently caress my schedule for the day. LET'S HAVE A BARBEQUE AND EVERYONE'S INVITED!" or some other big-group activity?

You can arrange parties for multiple people, although it requires some preparations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ZeusCannon posted:

It says something that Obra dinn presents its story so well i can remember two moments of just staring and being like What the gently caress is even happening.

Very good game

It's intriguing, because the actual story of the game is fairly simple, but the goal of the game and the way it's presented is so unique, that simplicity is not a detriment.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Obra Dinn was surprisingly fun. I'd love to see a next iteration where you get dynamic levels instead of static so it's a bit more immersive sim. You could see passwords in other scenes or where keys and stuff are hidden. Maybe even let you take things from one scene to another.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hardspace: Shipbreaker: the stickers you put on your equipment are visible on the equipment display in your room.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Master of Orion 1

If you ask an alien diplomat awkward requests, for example asking for a large trade deal while at war, theyll get weirded out and leave early. Part of the knack of diplomacy in that ancient game is reading the room. It might even be more subtle poo poo, like trading technology and offering something that's slightly too powerful for how they want to come across in the eyes of other civs right now. There is a lot of variables and moods under the hood which the player isn't privy to. And that is a little thing in this 4x which I simply adore and hasn't really been replicated since. More recent 4x games keep botching diplomacy because they don't grok you can make it both fun in itself as a minigame and also meaningful to the larger game simply by rewarding the player who deducts what the ai wants without them telling them, and slaps them on the wrist for guessing wrong. It's great, and having punishment being the ai diplomat simply leaving and being uncontactable for a while is elegant and appropriately impactful. It's the little things in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phigs posted:

Obra Dinn was surprisingly fun. I'd love to see a next iteration where you get dynamic levels instead of static so it's a bit more immersive sim. You could see passwords in other scenes or where keys and stuff are hidden. Maybe even let you take things from one scene to another.

If you haven't played Tacoma check that out. Not exactly the same but kind of what you're describing here